Just back....on sodium detox.

I don't think it's WDW exclusive. Most out of home dining is loaded with sodium. It's just at WDW.
1. people are eating out for most meals for an extended time
2. we are eating more.

3. plus those resort mugs. I think in our weekly trips I drink enough diet coke to equal what we drink normally in 3 months at home. We never buy for home. But I love fountain with loads of ice. So I am always filling up. That's a lot of sodium we normally don't get
Does Diet Coke have a lot of sodium? Wow, I never realized that. I eat virtually no salt at home but I do like my sodas!

I love salt. Maybe this is why I think the food at WDW is so yummy??? (My systolic blood pressure is rarely out of the 80's, and my PCP once asked me if I was on a self-imposed low-salt diet. When I replied that, in fact, I used a lot of salt, she joked and told me never to stop.) I have to be mindful not to add too much when cooking at home, because I can't tell if I'm going to add too much for the rest of my family.

Goodness, PG, I LOVE pop. love, love, love it. Have to make myself stay away. It's like a drug.
I love it too. I struggle with allergies and nothing feels as good in my throat. I'm trying to drink more tea but recent tea is hard to find sometimes. I wonder if Disney has much in fact?

Last edited:

Eating out anywhere is salt overload. We started staying off property in a villa with a fill kitchen so I can balance dining out in wdw with my own healthy meals. It is the only way we can do two weeks.

6 nights is the most I can tolerate on property :)

Eating out anywhere is salt overload. We started staying off property in a villa with a fill kitchen so I can balance dining out in wdw with my own healthy meals. It is the only way we can do two weeks.

6 nights is the most I can tolerate on property :)

I agree with this for any of our trips. We enjoy 2-week (or more) vacations whenever we travel. But, cruise, road trip, Florida vacation... I start to not enjoy the dining out piece of it after a while and just want home/simple foods.

I love it too. I struggle with allergies and nothing feels as good in my throat. I'm trying to drink more tea but recent tea is hard to find sometimes. I wonder if Disney has much in fact?

Wow. I wonder if that is why I so strongly prefer it; I have bad allergies, too!!! I love the fizz. And less-junky carbonated drinks are stupidly expensive. Pop is so cheap.

Does Diet Coke have a lot of sodium? Wow, I never realized that. I eat virtually no salt at home but I do like my sodas!
I think a 12 oz can has almost 40 mg. Not the world. But when I go from zero diet to who knows how many mug refills or while dining it adds up. I am guessing I get a couple hundred a day.

The body, over millennia, has become accustomed to "salt" and "sweat", and foods with these seem to taste better to the mind. *

Assuming you mean "sweet"...

In college I gave up my all-day diet soda habit to have ONE real soda a day and lost 5 lbs in water weight inside a week.

the only restaurant I remember being really over salty was Mama Melrose. I loved our meal there but I couldn't touch food for the rest of the day and I had so much water! We had early lunch there. I still plan to visit them next time!

I can't recall a single meal in 30+ trips since 1977 at WDW that I would describe as over-salted. We don't add salt to food at home when we cook. I've had plenty of meals elsewhere that Ive sent back due to heavy handed salt.

Maybe we've been lucky at WDW, but haven't found it to be an issue.

I am on a low sodium diet and Have to be extremely careful at WDW Keep asking customer service ans send emails to ask them to include the salt content or add a low salt menu to the allergy list but to no avail. Just have to be careful.

Just tell your server when you get to the restaurant. Disney is good with food issues. I am allergic to citrus and all the disney chefs were able to accomodate it. Sometimes the chef came out to let me know what I could have that was on the menu. A couple of times they made me something not on the menu. One of the servers offered to run over and get me dessert from another restaurant since all of their deserts had citrus in them.
My daughter has food issue and they were more than happy to accomodate here.

Do you mention your diet when you order? This worries me so much. At the beginning of the year, my DH and I went on a low-sodium diet after he had some issues with high blood pressure. We try to limit our daily intake to 1500 mg. We haven't been to Disney since we've made the change. His favorite thing about Disney is the food, so I'm trying to figure out how we can still enjoy our meals but stick to a somewhat reasonable amount of sodium. We will be eating at--
Boma (breakfast)
Jiko
Yak & Yeti
Whispering Canyon Cafe
Kona Cafe
Art Smith's Homecoming
We are also snacking at the F&W Festival a couple of days for lunch, and we are going to an HEA Fireworks Dessert Party.
Any suggestions?

I'm on a 1,500 mg a day sodium diet as well (for a vestibular disorder). We just went in August. Honestly, it was hard.

I ate a protein bar and a glass of milk in the room for breakfast. For lunch in the parks, I had a Kids Mickey Check meal because those have a sodium cap and they do have nutritional information available for those and you can kind of figure out how much is in the various components. Around 3 pm, I would be starving so I ate a Mickey Bar every day because those are high in calories and low in salt (one plus lol)

Then for dinner, we ate TS. I would tell the server when we got there and the chef would come out. The chefs were great and would come out and would really try to help, but the selections were very limited because so much of the food is pre-seasoned. I would usually order a steak with no seasoning and they would cook pasta or potatoes on the side with no salt. I had a side salad every night but I had to use my own no-sodium salad dressing packets that I brought with me because their dressings are high in sodium.

Two nights, my husband ran out and got Five Guys because their burgers are low in sodium (I use my own buns) and you can get the fries with no salt and the potatoes are cut fresh in the restaurant.

People say Disney is great with allergies, and that's wonderful. But they aren't that great with sodium, even though the chefs try very hard to help. Good luck!

Last edited:
Assuming you mean "sweet"...

In college I gave up my all-day diet soda habit to have ONE real soda a day and lost 5 lbs in water weight inside a week.
At the beginning of the year, I stopped drinking cokes. I used to drink one every night with my dinner. I switched to water instead and lost 17 pounds within two months. I have one occasionally now. But since I've stopped, they just don't taste as good. I used to think I couldn't live without them; now I prefer water. It's really what you get used to. Now that I do low-sodium, I HATE anything with a lot of salt now. It just tastes horrible to me.

I sympathize with the people that medically have to limit their sodium. But as a person with a medical condition that requires me to have a high amount of sodium (especially in hot environments, and I'm talking 10k-15k mg) I looooove that so many things are loaded. I usually still have to add salt to everything (including [and I'm not proud of this but I was in crisis] powerade).

I'm on a 1,500 mg a day sodium diet as well (for a vestibular disorder). We just went in August. Honestly, it was hard.

I ate a protein bar and a glass of milk in the room for breakfast. For lunch in the parks, I had a Kids Mickey Check meal because those have a sodium cap and they do have nutritional information available for those and you can kind of figure out how much is in the various components. Around 3 pm, I would be starving so I ate a Mickey Bar every day because those are high in calories and low in salt (one plus lol)

Then for dinner, we ate TS. I would tell the server when we got there and the chef would come out. The chefs were great and would come out and would really try to help, but the selections were very limited because so much of the food is pre-seasoned. I would usually order a steak with no seasoning and they would cook pasta or potatoes on the side with no salt. I had a side salad every night but I had to use my own no-sodium salad dressing packets that I brought with me because their dressings are high in sodium.

Two nights, my husband ran out and got Five Guys because their burgers are low in sodium (I use my own buns) and you can get the fries with no salt and the potatoes are cut fresh in the restaurant.

People say Disney is great with allergies, and that's wonderful. But they aren't that great with sodium, even though the chefs try very hard to help. Good luck!

WDW has been great with my son's allergies, BUT they often have almost no choices. He, too, usually gets a steak and salad.

(When I first saw this thread I thought you may have started it.)

We've eaten dinner at BOG on two separate occasions and have never noticed the food being extra salty. I ordered the steak both times and it was delicious.

You will not always taste the salt. That steak had sodium in it to tenderize it.. It was either marinated or salted before being grilled. It tenderize the meat.

Here is a way ti is done
http://www.wikihow.com/Grill-Steak

To quote part of the article

Season your steak liberally with salt at least 40 minutes before grilling. Salt draws moisture out from meat, which is an incredibly bad thing is you choose to salt right before you grill. Instead, apply the salt at least 40 minutes before grilling, and up to several days (yes, days!).[1]
  • What happens when you salt at least 40 minutes before grilling? The salt draws the moisture out of the meat, but with nowhere to go, the moisture eventually ends up seeping back into the newly tenderized meat. The longer you let the salt sit on the meat, the more tender it becomes and the more moisture it draws back in.

WDW has been great with my son's allergies, BUT they often have almost no choices. He, too, usually gets a steak and salad.

(When I first saw this thread I thought you may have started it.)

Exactly. I really appreciated that the chefs would come out and they really tried, but there was very little to pick from. So yep, steak and salad. The only chicken I could eat out of the places we went was at The Wave...they use an organic, unseasoned/salted chicken.

I don't think it's WDW exclusive.

1) No, it is not.
2) In fact, it is a favorite chef-trick to make cheaper meat cuts taste better.
3) It is even taught in cooking school.

NOTE:
We are majority stake owners in two eateries (a breakfast/lunch-only diner and a fine-food dinner-only restaurant).
At the diner, we add sodium to make cheap beef taste better, especially for for steak-and-eggs and some sandwiches.
We do state on the menu "sodium added" for those entrees, so guests are aware.

Gained 10 pounds on my 10 night trip to wdw. Just got back on Sunday 2 days ago. Lost 7 pounds so far. You lose weight fast when you get back because of all the sodium.

If you are gaining 10 pounds from water retention in 10 days, I would speak to your doctor because maybe your body cannot get rid of fluids properly. Ten pounds definitely seems excessive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter