Just Back.... Holy Construction!

Honestly I didn't mind the construction at all. I think Disney has done a good job making it not as noticeable. We had an excellent vacation. My kids were the only first timers and we haven't been for years. No worries.

Our last four trips (every Feb since 2011) have been 'blighted' by hoardings and barriers at the various parks - but mostly at MK and DTD. I sometimes wonder if we'll ever have a trip where you can see everything!

After this coming trip in March we're taking a bit of a break, especially as DD will be 21 and I think this will be our last family trip. I'm planning a mini road trip (West coast, Vegas and Grand Canyon) with my brother in 2016. I know OH would like to return to WDW for our 25th wedding anniversary in 2016 but that won't be possible. However, it's his 60th birthday in 2017 so we may return for that ...

I don't think we're allowed to reference particular sites, but there are reports that the Poly lobby will be open again on December 20 and some photos of the new ceiling lights, flooring, the benches moving in, center water feature (at least I think it's a water feature) the walls/curtains coming down in some areas, and the progress overall. Our Poly stay begins January 7 and we're happy that at least the lobby will be in better shape then!
Here are some Polynesian updates.....

http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorize...ona-cafe-review-construction-continues-12514/

I have no problem with the construction... but these projects just seem to go on forever. When is the Hub and DTD supposed to be done? Anyone think we'll actually see Avatarland before the end of the decade?

DTD signs on the construction walls say that the new Saratoga Springs is coming in 2016. I'm sure the walls will slowly disappear--but there are whole buildings where they are still working on the underground pipes and stuff and no construction of a structure has commenced, yet. (Where McD's and its replacements used to be for example.).

Parts of West side that we saw from AMC and Starbucks heading towards DTF through old PI up to Fulton's (get all that?) have made excellent progress and I would guess that those areas would be ready next year some time or very early 2016.

No clue on the Hub though someone posted that permits expire in 2015--I think around August.

[QUOTE="Cinder" Ella's Mom;52746643]Ugh. We booked Christmas Eve dinner at Kona Café for our group of 12. Hope it isn't too loud or messy. Nothing else available for our big party at this late date :(. And we love Kona Café![/QUOTE]

Even if the construction isn't completed I wouldn't worry. Just like everyone else, Disney would prefer not to pay overtime, much less what would probably be double time for working on Christmas Eve. Worst case scenario is you have a lovely view of those tropical beige curtains.

Just wait until all the construction starts at Hollywood Studios! Half that park is just sitting empty waiting for Disney to announce Pixar/Star Wars or whatever they plan to do with the park. It will be a MESS.

I think what's bugging me about the constuction is:

1. Disney moves at a glacial pace that would rival Elsa's when it comes time for construction. Sure, imagineers, execs, and stuff all has to be considered, but they are just plain SLOW!! I mean, my local Wendy's ripped up its store and replaced it with a beautiful new building within a month. And while one Wendy's store and a whole park may not be a true comparison, I think the analogy still holds.

Of course, the inevitable comparison of Universal and Disney will come up - a new hotel, and 2 lands with great themeing and rides are put up in less time that an annex to a previous location and 2 rides, but still. Ya know?

2. Disney decided to do construction on EVERY park, plus a popular shopping district AND a deluxe hotel. That's a LOT to do at one time, which (IMHO) only cause chaos and a cheap (bad) product. They should devote loving time to one section, than another and so one. Taking on too much is never good - sometimes you really shouldn't multi-task.

3. Hopefully, everything should look and be beautiful. But man - I would really HATE to be a Once-ler on this. As PPs have said - everything that can be ripped up, seems to be ripped up! :rolleyes:

Who do I really feel sorry for? The poor animals at AK! I went there a couple of weeks ago and it felt like the male gorillas were making their displeasure known through their mating glands. I can't imagine working there, the gorillas were so stinky!! :rotfl:

Oh no

We're first timers - not only that but this will probably be our "once in a lifetime" trip (costing the same as a new car / over 36 hours travel to get there / losing 20% because of exchange rates etc)

We're leaving for there in a few weeks! :worried:

Was expecting construction given the season, but not pretty much everything that can be torn up is torn up kinda levels of it :eek:

DTD signs on the construction walls say that the new Saratoga Springs is coming in 2016. I'm sure the walls will slowly disappear--but there are whole buildings where they are still working on the underground pipes and stuff and no construction of a structure has commenced, yet. (Where McD's and its replacements used to be for example.).

Parts of West side that we saw from AMC and Starbucks heading towards DTF through old PI up to Fulton's (get all that?) have made excellent progress and I would guess that those areas would be ready next year some time or very early 2016.

No clue on the Hub though someone posted that permits expire in 2015--I think around August.

Disney Springs, not Saratoga Springs.

Oh no

We're first timers - not only that but this will probably be our "once in a lifetime" trip (costing the same as a new car / over 36 hours travel to get there / losing 20% because of exchange rates etc)

We're leaving for there in a few weeks! :worried:

Was expecting construction given the season, but not pretty much everything that can be torn up is torn up kinda levels of it :eek:

Vacation is what you make of it. Not 'everything that can be' is being worked on. In reality, only a small percentage of the total areas of the parks have construction going on.

It is probably more accurate to say "Everywhere there is construction going on, you will notice it." There are large chunks of land with walls that are noticeable. But that should not take away from your fantastical trip.

Sit back and enjoy. You will see new sights and have great memories of the beauty of WDW. Come back the boards afterward and tell us of how you were in awe of so many things.

I don't recall ever visiting when they weren't building/rehabbing something.

Toontown becoming enlarged fantasy land, and SDMR - construction on Expedition Everest, DVC at AKL, Contemporary and GF.

They've always made improvement and emargement a priority.

The last time we were there so much of Fanasy land was boarded up. We're excited to get back and go to Be out Guest, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride and other changes.

We're 6 days away! Saturday can't get here fast enough - our first Christmas at Disney World!

I don't recall ever visiting when they weren't building/rehabbing something. Toontown becoming enlarged fantasy land, and SDMR - construction on Expedition Everest, DVC at AKL, Contemporary and GF. They've always made improvement and emargement a priority. The last time we were there so much of Fanasy land was boarded up. We're excited to get back and go to Be out Guest, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride and other changes. We're 6 days away! Saturday can't get here fast enough - our first Christmas at Disney World!

Agreed it's something that's always great about Disney- there's almost always something new to do or look forward too. This is a particularly exciting time as there is so much new coming!

That was probably me. The original permits expired in August and someone pointed out that they were extended to November or December of 2015.

Disney Springs is set for completion sometime in 2016, but they are opening new sections as they are completed.

AK will have walls up for years to come, get use to it.

Although nothing has been set for DHS, something major is going to occur. I wouldn't think the walls go up for another 2-3 years, but once they do, expect the park to be renamed Wall City for a few years.

I want to reiterate that I'm all for the changes. And I did have a nice time, and found enough joy to assuage any personal disappointment I might have felt. My post was more to 1) point out that there were more barriers and signs of construction than I've ever seen; and 2) say that I felt bad for those not fortunate enough to come regularly, or, in the case of the Polynesian, those unaware of how extensive the construction would be.

We are also just back and completely agree with OP. There were even walls at AK next to Flame Tree BBQ making it congested in that walkway and we didn't even try walking through the expedition Everest walkways, they were a mess! At DTD, we had dinner at Raglan Road and that whole area was congested on a Tuesday night. I was glad we had moved our reservation from Saturday to Tuesday because it's difficult to maneuver the sidewalks with a stroller as it is without the large crowds. DH and I like that Disney is making so many improvements, but why all at once? Seems like it would make it better for execs and visitors if Disney concentrated on 1 or 2 things and then moved to the next project?

Anyway, I felt really bad for the poor cast members working at the Poly. We had breakfast at 'Ohana for my daughter's birthday and the construction noise in the lobby was loud. I don't know how the CMs working the front desk can even hear guests talking to them and to have to listen to that every day... It would drive me crazy!

Yeah, it's a mess and very unsightly. I feel for the people that are first-time or only-time visitors coming when everything looks so bad.

yep I'm hoping things will be a bit nicer when we go next may as it's likely to be our first and only trip.

Mac

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter