Just back from SSR studio-questions??

kgkmom

Mouseketeer
We just spent an extended weekend at SSR in a studio. We had a great time. We were in The Springs, room 3543, a first floor studio. The room was in great condition, and I thought the theming was fine. It was certainly more subdued than at other resorts, but in my mind, it's supposed to be that way. SSR is an upper end spa, so the calm, soothing colors of the buildings and the subdued Disney-ing of the place seemed right to me.

The parks were totally packed on Saturday and Sunday! I thought it would be a little busy, but it was crazy! Lots of FL residents up for the long weekend.

DD and I had a pedicure at the spa :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 (thank you DVC for the 20% discount!), and we can't wait to go back again in June.

Happy to answer any questions!

Welcome back!!! That's my home and I love it!:love: Glad you had a good time. How was the spa? I really want to do a mani/pedi next time we go. Hopefully we can fit it in.

My niece and I spent some quality time just the two of us last summer. One of the things we did was a mani/pedi at the Spa. I requested it be done together and we had a wonderful AM at the Spa. She got to choose her own colors of nail polish ( not a word from her uncle when she was looking over green and red <g> ) she chose pink !!

We've done Disney 9 of her 11 years and this is one thing she still talks about.

DVC discount on adult stuff , not any of the kid things we got.

Total for two was $182.00 ( not counting tip )and well worth it!!! It will be awhile before we do it again because of the money but , someday!

Excellent exercise room, best of all the resorts in my mind.

Yeah, that exercise room is amazing!! I love it.

We have reservations for May in studios. The last two trips we've done a 2 bedroom, but to save points we tried two studios this time. How are they laid out?

The studios are laid out the same way as at most of the other DVC resorts, except OKW. You walk in through a small entry, past the kitchenette on one side and the sink/bathroom/closet on the other. There is a queen bed, a sofa bed, armoire w/tv, table and chairs. We were on the first floor, so we had a small patio with two chairs and a table outside.

Everything was spotless, and in very good condition. The only flaw I noticed was some cracked grout in the bathroom tiles, but it was very minor. Our studio was a lock-off, but we didn't have anyone in the 1 bedroom next to us, so it was very quiet. It made me wish I'd asked for an upgrade! In fact, for how crowded it was, SSR was incredibly quiet and serene. There were times I thought we were the only ones there.

Welcome back!!! That's my home and I love it!:love: Glad you had a good time. How was the spa? I really want to do a mani/pedi next time we go. Hopefully we can fit it in.

The spa was wonderful!:thumbsup2 We hadn't planned on going to the spa, but after taking a peek inside, we were hooked and had to see if we could try it out! I called on Friday to see if we could get a pedicure on Tuesday, and the timeslots were wide open. Tuesday was our last day, so it was a great way to soothe our sore feet!:)

I almost bought some of the candles they had there, because the lavendar aroma was so relaxing. The pedicure lotions/oils/scrubs had a lot of peppermint in them. The scrub was a maple sugar scrub, and the oil was peppermint. It sounds weird, but it smelled, and felt, great!

...we didn't have anyone in the 1 bedroom next to us, so it was very quiet. It made me wish I'd asked for an upgrade!

As a policy DVC doesn't do upgrades. If it became commonplace for members to book Studio rooms and upgrade to larger units, it could really damage the integrity of the point system. DVC resorts will let units sit empty rather than give a free upgrade.

The only times you'll hear of members being upgraded is if it's due to maintenance issues, rare booking problems (more reservations than rooms), etc.

i didn't notice, but is there a kid's club? Would love to do the spa, but that's kind of a requirement. I thought otherwise I would have to go to Grand Floridian.

I didn't notice a kid's club, b/c my DD is 13. They do have loads of kid's activities in the Community Hall, like pottery and art classes, ping pong, foosball, etc. The Artist's Palette (food court) has paper and crayons at most tables, and the cast members post the 'artist of the day' pictures on an easel in the middle of the food court. It's very cute!

I guess I should have been more clear about upgrades! I understand the stock is what it is, and it's true about not wanting to do anything to mess up the point structure. But if there is an available room, can a DVC member ask for a larger room if they have the points to cover it? That's really what I meant by upgrade. Actually, I was kind of glad that there was no one in the next room (in either room) because it was incredibly quiet and relaxing!

i didn't notice, but is there a kid's club? Would love to do the spa, but that's kind of a requirement. I thought otherwise I would have to go to Grand Floridian.

No kids' club at SSR. Children are not watched for parents at the Community Hall. Parents are expected to be with their kids there unless the kids are teens and can entertain themselves.

facebook twitter