Just back from DVC member cruise - great time despite TS Melissa

bobyetman

Mouseketeer
Just got back and unpacked from the 7 Day DVC Member Cruise from NYC to Bermuda to Boston (NOT!!). Despite the rough seas from TS Melissa, and the missed port in Boston, had a great time. Glad we packed that extra collapsable bag for all the goodies. If you have questions, ask away and I'll answer when I can. I have to figure out where to put all this new stuff.....

I’m glad to hear you still had a great time despite the itinerary change! What were the days at sea like weather wise? We are leaving Thur out of NYC for 5 night Bermuda & I’m not sure how to pack! Was it cold as in NYC cold or a bit warmer?

I’m glad to hear you still had a great time despite the itinerary change! What were the days at sea like weather wise? We are leaving Thur out of NYC for 5 night Bermuda & I’m not sure how to pack! Was it cold as in NYC cold or a bit warmer?

The sea days without the storm were in the 70s, but windy. The sea days with the storm were in the 60s, mostly cloudy and sometimes rainy, again windy on deck.

I have not finished unpacking, but agree with you that it was a great cruise despite Melissa!

Bermuda was warm but windy, especially Monday, Tuesday was better.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the cruise despite missing our city. Even us locals were sad to hear the news. My son was planning to go in to see the arrival and I was was excited to see pics from him. ;)

When I first saw TS Melissa in the title I thought it was a cm who did a really bad job, then I realized TS was for tropical storm, lol! Sorry you had to miss out on Boston, hopefully you've been there before. Glad the rest of the cruise went well.

I saw on Instagram Gaston was out as a character to meet on a recent cruise, most likely the Magic. Did you see Gaston on your cruise, and if so, was he announced on the navigator or was he surprise?

I saw on Instagram Gaston was out as a character to meet on a recent cruise, most likely the Magic. Did you see Gaston on your cruise, and if so, was he announced on the navigator or was he surprise?

I don't remember seeing him, and he's not on any of the Navigators. But that doesn't mean he wasn't out, for example Spiderman was out, and he's not listed on the Navigators.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the cruise despite missing our city. Even us locals were sad to hear the news. My son was planning to go in to see the arrival and I was was excited to see pics from him. ;)

I was looking forward to it, had the Old Trolley booked. But, as Commodore Tom said, they were expecting 25+ foot waves abeam (sideways) getting in Wednesday PM and Thursday AM, and they weren't sure they would be able to get out Thursday PM, with the same waves.

I don't remember seeing him, and he's not on any of the Navigators. But that doesn't mean he wasn't out, for example Spiderman was out, and he's not listed on the Navigators.
We were on the same cruise with you and yes, Spiderman was listed in the navs (on the APP at least) because I remember asking my dh if he wanted to stand in line to see him. Didn't see Gaston listed on the Nav APP, nor did we see him out and about on the ship.

As a DVC cruise, it was our first and we LOVED every aspect of it. As a regular cruise, it sucked and I'm glad we had all the DVC stuff to keep us entertained!! We had one excursion cancelled in Bermuda and had cancelled another one ourselves 2 weeks before we left which left only one excursion for us on the Tuesday morning (which was a blast!!). Of course we ended up with a credit on the account since they now charge the excursions upfront by day two and our excursion in Boston was also cancelled. However, we did get to enjoy Palo brunch as they opened up more spots on Thursday (our 'new' sea day). All in all it was definitely a vacation to remember :lmao: for many reasons!

I always hear about all of the swag on DVC cruises - what were some of the things you received?

8349C3CB-AF5D-48BA-9D22-4D58DCBF2757.jpeg
Don Hahn had many wonderful documentary presentations, and we were all gifted with this excellent book.

I always hear about all of the swag on DVC cruises - what were some of the things you received?
Every day there were big gifts by lunchtime, then at evening turndown, there were smaller gifts - one per person:

1. Bag with collapsible back pack, 16 ounce Tervis Tumbler and a re-useable metal straw and cleaner. That night - a picture folder with room for cels (we'd get a different cel each night)
2. A lockable beach safe & a cooling power fan (usb rechargeable). That night - a teacup from the new Riviera Resort
3. A set of coasters - themed like movie reels.
4. A Frozen pop-up book - signed by Matthew Reinhart. That night a Maleficent - Mistress of Evil bag with the horn ears & a sleep mask
5. A blanket - DVC Member Cruise film festival themed.
6. Yesterday's Tomorrow - hard cover book signed by Dan Hahn.
7. A DVC Member cruise tote bag. That night - a big DVC door magnet (not the usual circle magnet) and a DVC member cruise pin.

Throw in the DVC member cruise tee-shirts (both long & short sleeve), the Bermuda port tee-shirts, and the Halloween shirts, and as they say, you absolutely need an empty suitcase for everything they give you and you might buy. They didn't have many of the small roll-on bags left in the store (no room in the storehouse per one of the cast members), and those they did have sold out the first night. Saw lots of folks using the large re-usable DCL bags for carrying their stuff off.

Every day there were big gifts by lunchtime, then at evening turndown, there were smaller gifts - one per person:

1. Bag with collapsible back pack, 16 ounce Tervis Tumbler and a re-useable metal straw and cleaner. That night - a picture folder with room for cels (we'd get a different cel each night)
2. A lockable beach safe & a cooling power fan (usb rechargeable). That night - a teacup from the new Riviera Resort
3. A set of coasters - themed like movie reels.
4. A Frozen pop-up book - signed by Matthew Reinhart. That night a Maleficent - Mistress of Evil bag with the horn ears & a sleep mask
5. A blanket - DVC Member Cruise film festival themed.
6. Yesterday's Tomorrow - hard cover book signed by Dan Hahn.
7. A DVC Member cruise tote bag. That night - a big DVC door magnet (not the usual circle magnet) and a DVC member cruise pin.

Throw in the DVC member cruise tee-shirts (both long & short sleeve), the Bermuda port tee-shirts, and the Halloween shirts, and as they say, you absolutely need an empty suitcase for everything they give you and you might buy. They didn't have many of the small roll-on bags left in the store (no room in the storehouse per one of the cast members), and those they did have sold out the first night. Saw lots of folks using the large re-usable DCL bags for carrying their stuff off.

WOW! that is fantastic!!

FC28FAB5-28A8-47EA-8D22-0D0F355F9EA9.jpeg

Sorry about the orientation....
The bottom frame and print were given on the first night, and we did get others, maybe 5 more. The top frame was from the May DVC Cruise, and it also has other prints. The frames have compartments inside to keep the other prints.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter