Just Back from DCA: a few comments

• Thread starter BertChimneySweep
  • Start date
B

BertChimneySweep

I'm happy to say that DCA measures up well IMHO. It is a bit of an amalgam of elements from WDW Studios, and even EPCOT (Think of CA as a country ;) )
Like everyone, I thoroughly enjoyed Soaring, even had "only" a 45 min standby wait, despite the posted wait being 75 mins. GRR exceeded my expectations with great theming, somewhat reminiscent of Thunder Mountain Railroad, and a nice touch of ride technology that caused more churning and turning than on many similar rides. Paradise Pier did little for me...it is what it is... a mini Magic Mtn., and not all that great at that. But it IS quite aesthetic. It's nice to have MuppetVision and Tough To Be a Bug on the West Coast. But here are the 3 unique, and less discussed standouts IMHO: Golden Dreams, Animation and the Eureka Parade. More on those in my next post.

"Oh, It's a jolly holiday with Disney
Disney makes your heart so light!"

pre-crash vet
Disneyland '70, '73, '78, '81, '87, '97, Paradise Pier 1/01!
CBR 2/98, PO 2/00, AS Movies 4/01!!

Golden Dreams was a sleeper. In the Attractions Guide it is poorly descriibed as: " Storyteller shares tales of California." Hunh??? What it IS, is a quite wonderful 22 minute film hosted by Whoopi Goldberg, telling the history of the state. She shows up throughout at propitious moments as the Goddess, California. There also is some fun techno wizardry involving some statues in the theater, but I won't spoil. As a Californian, I found the closing montage moving. I also was pleased with Eureka!, the parade with floats, dancers, performers, puppets and a cool new song. One of the better parade offerings.
Others have mentioned the Disney Animation feature. This is tremendous. Give yourself at least an hour to an hour and a half to spend in this magical palace. Especially nifty and creative is the Sorcerer's Workshop, where you get to create a 12 panel animated sequence yourself, have Ursula steal your voice and let you play out a scene in a film, and have the magic mirror in the Beast's Library determine which character you most resemble. The theming is A++ throughout. Lines are a bit of a problem, as the activities take a while, but enjoy watching fellow guests try their hand while you wait. I also enjoyed the animator's studio, funny and cute. Don't Miss this one!!
One other note: already justly popular is the expansive and civilized Golden Vine Winery. How pleasent to sip a fine wine and enjoy the atmosphere.
All in all, a very good debut. Phase 2 will be important, as there is clearly a need for a few more top attractions, but the quality level is high.
(I should note that sadly California Screamin' was not working while I was there. From what I could see from my hotel room as they tested it the next day, it looks pretty fun. But as I said, in general, the Paradise Pier area doesn't do much for me.)

pre-crash vet

<font color=navy>Bert,

A question -- We'll have two 7 year olds with us. Do you think they'll enjoy the animation studio part of the park?

<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color=#FF0066>Mary Jo
mms.gif

Disneyland Board Co-Moderator
galw.gif

My Disneyland Site
My Sequoia/Yosemite Trip

Dress Up Your Posts

MaryJo,
Absolutely!! They will love it!! It is very accessible and fun for all ages.

pre-crash vet

We'll be there in 9 days and are planning on devoting 1 day to DCA and 2 at DL, since we've never been and that's what we want to focus on. How did you find the line ups?

engagement.jpg

FW-`80, '84, '88
DxL-'91
WDW International Program Canada Pavillion '97-'98
---Vista Way July '97-April '98
---Commons April '98 - July '98
---WL, CS, ASMu, BW, PO, Poly
Offsite-Feb '99
ASMovies-Feb '00
WL, BC, DCL-Sept '00
DL, Grand Californian-Feb '01,
WDW Sept '01?

I didn't find the lines bad at all. I used fast pass for GRR, but even Soaring never appeared to be a more than 60 min. line. Bear in mind however that this was a preview night, and a Thursday. I would anticipate a much more difficult time with lines when they are fully open, especially on weekends. Go anyway. What others have said makes sense...be there at the opening drop and get a fast pass for Soaring immediately. Then enjoy evrything else: Animation will have some waits, Tough to Be a Bug, Golden Dreams and Muppetvision had none, and probably won't be too bad. Once you've done Soaring, get your fast pass for GRR or Screamin', and go from there. Pace yourself, enjoy the scenery, which is well done, don't miss the parade. Have Fun! :D

pre-crash vet

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter