Just back - First Dream Cruise in Europe - Med May 2023

Flossbolna

Sea days are just so relaxing!
Hi there. We just got off the Dream today after a truly wonderful cruise. I am planning on doing a trip report, but wanted to leave some info here for those on the next cruises.

General observations:
While our cruise was wonderful, there were some hiccups where we felt like the Dream was not totally ready for the new itineraries. When we got on board the main dining time was shown as 5:45 pm in the app while it was 6:00 pm. It did change later. Originally the app showed Golden Mickeys for day 2, formal night and our day in Toulon with all Aboard at 4:30 pm. Then it suddenly changed and we had the Golden Mickeys on our Rome Day, Day 4, when all Aboard was at 7 pm. Seemed an odd choice as many people were on port adventures that came back late. Also, while Little Mermaid premiered while we were on the ship they didn’t show it on board. A lot of people in my Facebook group were rather disappointed.

They also had no Silver Anniversary merchandise available.

Also we had an issue with the scheduling of one Port Adventure that I will go into under its own heading.

We found the cruise to be very heavy on adults, less kids than on our previous cruises (except the Panama Canal). I am sure that was due to the time of year close to the end of the school year. Also, I think taking kids out of school is far less acceptable in Europe. There were lots of Europeans, I heard a lot of French and British English, some Spanish, Italian and even a little bit of German. My husband says he would estimate 40% Americans.

Embarkation:
The port in Barcelona was a mess when we got there. We had a port arrival time of 12:15 pm, but got there ca. 30 minutes later. There were masses of people and I tried to find out where to go. I was directed to a luggage check in line that looked massive and told to come back where the 12:15-12:30 sign was to then check in. Luggage line moved quicker than I feared, took about 15 minutes. By the time luggage was dropped off, the 12:15-12:30 line was closed. And a very unfriendly port employee told me that there was only one line and I had to get into that. This line went nearly to the other end of the building and after being frustrated about this, I searched for another port person to complain that the port arrival time seemed not to matter anymore. She actually took potty on us and put us into line. The bottle neck at that point was security and once we were through there we moved quite quickly. We were on the ship by 2 pm. We were told that staterooms wouldn’t be available until 3 pm. The app did not show that a table service restaurant was available for lunch, but I asked and we were told that Animators Palette was open and we went there. By the time we were done with lunch it was time for the staterooms to be open.

Service:
Our servers and stateroom host were all efficient. We did not have any issues with dining taking a long time. We had Main Sining at 6 pm and usually we’re done by 7:30 pm ordering four courses. On the long port days they told people to still go to main dining despite getting back just before 7 pm. The servers handled that ok it seems. However, we felt that the service was very impersonal. We had nearly no conversations, our server kept recommending shrimp dishes even though we told him multiple times that we do t eat shellfish. I also didn’t see many other servers around us chatting a lot with their guests. I wonder if the Dream staff being used to guests coming and going so quickly is really not that good at making personal relationships with guests. We chatted more with our head server than our other two servers combined.

Food:
The food quality was as always. The for the Dream newer menus didn’t seem to be an issue for the kitchen. We struggled with a couple of menus to find something enjoyable. I tried the falafel (vegetarian dish) on the Pirates Menu and it was truly horrible.

Special Dining:
We did Brunch at Remy and dinner at Palo. Both were outstanding and we had the best CM interaction of the cruise there.

Shows:
We had the Golden Mickeys, Beauty and the Beast and Believe as they are usual on the Dream. The other shows were a ventriloquist, a magician and a juggler as well as Guardians of the Galaxy.

Merchandise:
There was only one line “Dream of Europe” to cover all the European itineraries, nothing specific for the Med.

Navigators:
They did have the one sheet overview of activities. We were out on a list and they were delivered to our stateroom daily in the evening.

Port Adventures:
We had booked a Port Adventure for our first port Toulon (Southern France). Departure time was 8:45 am. When I logged into the app it showed me that our excursion the next day would start at 6:45 am. I thought there was a mistake and made my way to the Port Adventures desk during lunch. It turned out that they had indeed moved the time. I had never been told about that. Originally we were supposed to get to Toulon at 8:30 am. But a few weeks before the cruise it was changed to 6:30 am. I got the explanation that the tour provider had requested that the tour departs as soon as the ship docks, but we had no interest in such an early booking excursion and cancelled. I wonder when they would have notified us as there aren’t print outs anymore.

Disembarkation:
This was very good. We were surprised how many people still were coming off when all luggage tags had been called. There is no passport check and no customs as we never left the Schengen Area (which equals most of the EU countries). The taxi line was very long but well organized and it was constantly moving.

European VAT:
While no passport checks was a benefit, not leaving the EU meant that we had to pay VAT (similar to sales tax) on everything. It varied a bit, but generally was 20%. In Europe the VAT has to be included in the displayed price, so DCL just tagging it on everything made me less want to get anything.
Ports:
After canceling our one Port Adventure we did all the ports on our own. DCL was not really informative about how you would be getting away from your ship if you were on your own. Most ports had decent shuttles though.

Toulon:
We docked in the La Seyne sur la Mer Dock. There was a free shuttle boat that seemed to depart fairly frequently. We just walked around town which was nice enough. The open air market and the market hall were very nice. At the port we were handed out a little map which had marked the most interesting sites and we kind of followed that.

Livorno:
We went to Pisa by train. Booking tickets for the train on the Italian Railway website was uncomplicated. The free shuttle dropped us fairly central in town and from there we took a public bus to the train station.

Civitavecchia:
Here we were very frustrated. We had booked tickets for a specific train and got off the ship 50 minutes before the train departed. We missed the train as we did not want to pay 6€ per person one way for the shuttle to the train station as we figured we could walk from the free shuttle stop to the train station. They let the free shuttle sit for 30 minutes until it departed while keeping pointing people to the train station shuttle. We complained about the situation onboard and were promised someone from guest services about this. We had several missed calls, but no one ever left a message.

Naples:
We took the train to Pompeii. Here you dock in town and we just walked to the Metro, three stops for 1.20 € a person to the Garibaldi station. The train to Pompeii was ancient and on the way back our train broke down and we had to transfer to another. We still had plenty of time, but maybe don’t cut it too close if you are relying on that line.

Palma de Mallorca:
Here we had the best shuttle. The ship docked at Dique de l’Oest which is far out. But DCL provided a very good free shuttle to the town center for free. It stopped just underneath the Cathedral. Going back there were several people directing you to the correct bus as they were not marked. Palma is beautiful! It’s a shame that DCL doesn’t go there more often!

That’s all I can think of at the moment. If you have any questions let me know! I will try to post some pictures as well, but currently am in a train with spotty Internet.

I hate to say it, but Civitavecchia is not surprising. It is Italy. Not too surprised about the Pompeii train either. It was old when we went in 2005; it’s probably the same one. You just have to pack your patience in Italy and assume things will be delayed.

They also don’t tell you about the ports, because they want you to take their excursions. We are doing an Italy/Turkey/Greece cruise later this summer. Seemed like a recipe for potential delays, so we just booked ship stuff.

It sounds like there were some negatives but generally good. I hope it was overall enjoyable and relaxing.

I was in Mallorca at the start of May and it’s just a gorgeous place! Palma was beautiful, I’m glad you enjoyed your time there.

I wonder if the switch of days for one of the shows was due to technical issues. That happened to me on the Fantasy last year; Frozen was meant to be day 2 but they shifted it to later in the cruise because of a technical glitch.

It’s crazy that they just moved your excursion time two hours earlier and didn’t tell you. I wonder if some people didn’t realise and missed it completely.

Looking forward to your trip report. Hope anniversary items had not arrived at the port yet. I understand their stockroom is not that large, so they would have to ship merchandise to the port. Still unbelievable there was none.

I hate to say it, but Civitavecchia is not surprising. It is Italy. Not too surprised about the Pompeii train either. It was old when we went in 2005; it’s probably the same one. You just have to pack your patience in Italy and assume things will be delayed.

They also don’t tell you about the ports, because they want you to take their excursions. We are doing an Italy/Turkey/Greece cruise later this summer. Seemed like a recipe for potential delays, so we just booked ship stuff.

It sounds like there were some negatives but generally good. I hope it was overall enjoyable and relaxing.
All in all we had a great time. And the lesson for us was to have a good time buffer. For us it was worth it because we don’t like the crowds in the ship excursions and don’t have the money for private tours. 😉 Also we live in Europe, so didn’t feel like we had to see everything.

We planned on taking the Ferry to Sorrento from Naples. They canceled due to the weather and it was barely sprinkling out. I'm still fighting to get a refund. I wish I would have taken the ship excursion to Sorrento. It was kind of a wasted day. Naples isn't a great city. In would stick with private tours or ship excursions in Italy.

Looking forward to your trip report. Hope anniversary items had not arrived at the port yet. I understand their stockroom is not that large, so they would have to ship merchandise to the port. Still unbelievable there was none.
I heard it was already an issue on the transatlantic before the first European cruise. Not a lot of stock and everything there was sold out quickly. Half way through the cruise they found a lost pallet of merchandise. So something weird is definitely going on.

Service:
Our servers and stateroom host were all efficient. We did not have any issues with dining taking a long time. We had Main Sining at 6 pm and usually we’re done by 7:30 pm ordering four courses. On the long port days they told people to still go to main dining despite getting back just before 7 pm. The servers handled that ok it seems. However, we felt that the service was very impersonal. We had nearly no conversations, our server kept recommending shrimp dishes even though we told him multiple times that we do t eat shellfish. I also didn’t see many other servers around us chatting a lot with their guests. I wonder if the Dream staff being used to guests coming and going so quickly is really not that good at making personal relationships with guests. We chatted more with our head server than our other two servers combined.
I've never had early seating, but it would be my expectation that they need to keep the pace up so they can get everyone out, and the entire dining room reset for late seating, especially if early seating guests aren't arriving until almost 7 pm!

We planned on taking the Ferry to Sorrento from Naples. They canceled due to the weather and it was barely sprinkling out. I'm still fighting to get a refund. I wish I would have taken the ship excursion to Sorrento. It was kind of a wasted day. Naples isn't a great city. In would stick with private tours or ship excursions in Italy.
The archeological museum in Naples is good. They also have great food. The ferries to Sorrento and Capri are often not running. It’s usually due to winds/high seas. We stayed a few days in Sorrento several years ago and could never make it to Capri due to rough seas. I booked a ship excursion from Naples to the Blue Grotto to give us a better chance or a refund if we can’t even get to Capri.

The archeological museum in Naples is good. They also have great food. The ferries to Sorrento and Capri are often not running. It’s usually due to winds/high seas. We stayed a few days in Sorrento several years ago and could never make it to Capri due to rough seas. I booked a ship excursion from Naples to the Blue Grotto to give us a better chance or a refund if we can’t even get to Capri.
Agree about the archeological museum in Naples. On our first cruise, we took a taxi there and then walked to a pizza place to have authentic pizza. Yum! We then took a taxi back to the ship, dropped our 3 month old DD off in the nursery and took the port adventure to Herculaneum. A great day!!!

If anyone is stopping at Chania we did a Segway tour. I found it on Get your guide. It was fun and a lot easier than walking.

We’ve also done Segway tours in Paris and Malaga. We enjoy them and will probably pick a city to one on next year on our Baltic.

If anyone is stopping at Chania we did a Segway tour. I found it on Get your guide. It was fun and a lot easier than walking.

We’ve also done Segway tours in Paris and Malaga. We enjoy them and will probably pick a city to one on next year on our Baltic.
We are doing our first tour with Get Your Guide in Rome in June. Not Segway, though. Looking forward to it.

We are doing our first tour with Get Your Guide in Rome in June. Not Segway, though. Looking forward to it.
I used get your guide a lot last year and this year. I like the book and pay later feature. They don’t charge your card until 24 hours before. We had no problems with any of our tours. Some tours were great and some were just ok, but nothing to do with your get your guide they are just a third party service.
We also used Viator for booking a private tour in Santorini no issues with them either.

We are going to Chania (and Heraklion) in a couple of months but not very interested in Segways.. we need the exercise for now. Did you see anything you'd recommend off the beaten path or have an especially good coffee or meal while you were there?

Also, while Little Mermaid premiered while we were on the ship they didn’t show it on board. A lot of people in my Facebook group were rather disappointed.
The ship did not get the movie in time. That is why they never advertise a PremiEAR at Sea in advance - because sometimes things happen.

We are going to Chania (and Heraklion) in a couple of months but not very interested in Segways.. we need the exercise for now. Did you see anything you'd recommend off the beaten path or have an especially good coffee or meal while you were there?
You'll still get plenty of exercise. There are hundreds of little streets, I think it would be hard to see all of it on foot. Just to get from one end of the harbor to the other is a couple of miles. We still averaged 10 miles walking that day. It's amazing how many steps you get in on a cruise ship vacation.
It would also be a great place to rent a bike.

I am on the Dream next week so I’m reading these reviews with curiosity! It’ll be my last Platinum cruise (makes me Pearl) and I haven’t cruised DCL since a month before Covid hit, but lately I’ve definitely been won over by the Oasis-class ships and how many options there are for dining and entertainment. It will be strange to go back to only having one real option for dinner especially with Cabanas closed. That was always a nice break from the MDR. I’m sure I’ll have fun either way but glad I branched out to other lines as well to see what they do.

In Santorini, we were the only ship in town and the line to get up the mountain had to be 2 hours. We hoofed it up the mountain. It's 600 plus steps, but each step is about 6 feet wide. It's farther than you think.

Anyone with an outside excursion plan accordingly. We scheduled our private tour for 1 pm to allow enough time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter