• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back - First Dream Cruise in Europe - Med May 2023

I am on the Dream next week so I’m reading these reviews with curiosity! It’ll be my last Platinum cruise (makes me Pearl) and I haven’t cruised DCL since a month before Covid hit, but lately I’ve definitely been won over by the Oasis-class ships and how many options there are for dining and entertainment. It will be strange to go back to only having one real option for dinner especially with Cabanas closed. That was always a nice break from the MDR. I’m sure I’ll have fun either way but glad I branched out to other lines as well to see what they do.
As I've mentioned several times in the last few weeks we loved Odyssey. I'm not sure if that's an Oasis class. We're trying the new Princess ship in the Baltics next year. I like the fact that they have self-laundry and free room service like DCL. The new Medallion technology looks fun.

It's fun to try new things and my bank account thanks me. I will always have a special place in my heart for DCL ...lots of good memories.

As I've mentioned several times in the last few weeks we loved Odyssey. I'm not sure if that's an Oasis class. We're trying the new Princess ship in the Baltics next year. I like the fact that they have self-laundry and free room service like DCL. The new Medallion technology looks fun.

It's fun to try new things and my bank account thanks me. I will always have a special place in my heart for DCL ...lots of good memories.

Exactly! DCL is very special to me and my extended family as well. It took a LOT of convincing to get them to try Oasis of the Seas (I'd been on it several times before) and once they finally tried it, they absolutely loved it especially for the price.

Exactly! DCL is very special to me and my extended family as well. It took a LOT of convincing to get them to try Oasis of the Seas (I'd been on it several times before) and once they finally tried it, they absolutely loved it especially for the price.
It's perfectly fine to love DCL, but also love other cruise lines. Cruising DCL is not a marriage nor is DCL loyal to you... Their lackluster loyalty program is evidence of what they think of you.

We also had a great time on this cruise. Lots of adults without kids so on the sea day on the pool deck the adult section was full but there where plenty of seats available in the family section. Food was great and service too. We had a lot of lunches in the MDR which where also good. We had 4 excursions which was a bit much maybe because they all left pretty early and we like to hang out in the bars in the evenings too. And loved the two fireworks shows at sea. Overall we where very satisfied with this cruise.

I was in Mallorca at the start of May and it’s just a gorgeous place! Palma was beautiful, I’m glad you enjoyed your time there.

I wonder if the switch of days for one of the shows was due to technical issues. That happened to me on the Fantasy last year; Frozen was meant to be day 2 but they shifted it to later in the cruise because of a technical glitch.

It’s crazy that they just moved your excursion time two hours earlier and didn’t tell you. I wonder if some people didn’t realise and missed it completely.
The good thing is that from Germany where we live a flight to Mallorca is easy to do. It is actually strange that I had never been. But it definitely will be a spot to revisit very soon.

Yes, we assumed it was technical or maybe a cast issue. But it shows how you cannot rely on your cruise following the previous schedules.

Also I think it us easier for them to change things around nie silently with the app. In the past the first day navigator had the full schedule for the week.

I was in Mallorca at the start of May and it’s just a gorgeous place! Palma was beautiful, I’m glad you enjoyed your time there.

I wonder if the switch of days for one of the shows was due to technical issues. That happened to me on the Fantasy last year; Frozen was meant to be day 2 but they shifted it to later in the cruise because of a technical glitch.

It’s crazy that they just moved your excursion time two hours earlier and didn’t tell you. I wonder if some people didn’t realise and missed it completely.
The good thing is that from Germany where we live a flight to Mallorca is easy to do. It is actually strange that I had never been. But it definitely will be a spot to revisit very soon.

Yes, we assumed it was technical or maybe a cast issue. But it shows how you cannot rely on your cruise following the previous schedules.

Also I think it us easier for them to change things around nie silently with the app. In the past the first day navigator had the full schedule for the week.
Looking forward to your trip report. Hope anniversary items had not arrived at the port yet. I understand their stockroom is not that large, so they would have to ship merchandise to the port. Still unbelievable there was none.
Yes, it was a missed shipping thing according to what people on the EBTA before us had heard.

Looking forward to your trip report. Hope anniversary items had not arrived at the port yet. I understand their stockroom is not that large, so they would have to ship merchandise to the port. Still unbelievable there was none.
Yes, it was a missed shipping thing according to what people on the EBTA before us had heard.
I've never had early seating, but it would be my expectation that they need to keep the pace up so they can get everyone out, and the entire dining room reset for late seating, especially if early seating guests aren't arriving until almost 7 pm!
We will never do early seating again!! We just balked at a 8:30 pm second seating time. It seemed so late.

I've never had early seating, but it would be my expectation that they need to keep the pace up so they can get everyone out, and the entire dining room reset for late seating, especially if early seating guests aren't arriving until almost 7 pm!
We will never do early seating again!! We just balked at a 8:30 pm second seating time. It seemed so late.
The ship did not get the movie in time. That is why they never advertise a PremiEAR at Sea in advance - because sometimes things happen.
Yes, just like the merchandise shipment but arriving in time. It’s actually good to know that this can happen. People on the Facebook group commented that it’s all digital and couldn’t they just download it…

But it was actually on the theater schedule at the beginning of the cruise. That’s why people were a bit more upset I think.

Ok. I just realize I requoted my previous replies. Sorry. Will try to clean that up when I am no longer on the phone screen.

We also had a great time on this cruise. Lots of adults without kids so on the sea day on the pool deck the adult section was full but there where plenty of seats available in the family section. Food was great and service too. We had a lot of lunches in the MDR which where also good. We had 4 excursions which was a bit much maybe because they all left pretty early and we like to hang out in the bars in the evenings too. And loved the two fireworks shows at sea. Overall we where very satisfied with this cruise.
I totally forgot to mention the additional fireworks! They were very nice! But short. And unfortunately the pre-show for them was boring!

that it’s all digital and couldn’t they just download it…

Even if that is the case, have these people been on shippernet?? It's hard enough to download a picture sometimes, not to mention potentially multiple versions of a movie (if they have regular and 3D)! I suspect the ships get discs.

It is surprising they would have it on the schedule - sounds like a goof there.

I'm surprised about the dining servers not getting to know people. But here's the thing I don't understand. Yes, the Dream is used to doing 3-4 night itineraries, but most of those servers are ultimately from other ships. After the pandemic, everyone got tossed up into the air and landed on a totally different ship. We've specifically requested a server we know is on the Dream who was previously on the Wonder. And when were on the Dream last year, our server was originally from the Magic. (And was great.)

Even if that is the case, have these people been on shippernet?? It's hard enough to download a picture sometimes, not to mention potentially multiple versions of a movie (if they have regular and 3D)! I suspect the ships get discs.

It is surprising they would have it on the schedule - sounds like a goof there.
It was also incorrectly scheduled on the first Alaska cruise, a week for the US premier.

Whether they have to download the movie or bring a physical copy. This movie must have been ready to be released a few weeks before the actual premier, it's not like they are still editing etc till the day before its release.

The movie premiered in Europe a few days before the US, I think. Even if it wasn't done by the time they left the US on the 7th of May for the transatlantic, it could have been shipped to the first port in Europe before it's premier at sea. I think.

In Europe the VAT has to be included in the displayed price, so DCL just tagging it on everything made me less want to get anything.
Interesting they got things right this year. Last year they did not, VAT was applied at check-out, and there was a small sign somewhere pointing that out.

Interesting they got things right this year. Last year they did not, VAT was applied at check-out, and there was a small sign somewhere pointing that out.
That’s what I meant. They did not follow European rules but added at the check out. I found it quite annoying.

I'm surprised about the dining servers not getting to know people. But here's the thing I don't understand. Yes, the Dream is used to doing 3-4 night itineraries, but most of those servers are ultimately from other ships. After the pandemic, everyone got tossed up into the air and landed on a totally different ship. We've specifically requested a server we know is on the Dream who was previously on the Wonder. And when were on the Dream last year, our server was originally from the Magic. (And was great.)

I am surprised too! We were on the EBTA (Dream) and our servers went above and beyond in getting to know us. We even ran into our assistant server in one of the ports and he came running over to chat with us about our plans.

We had nice servers on this cruise. NO pressure for the Excellent review, just asked us if there was anything they could improve.
I didn't really care for the cruise director though. He just said, check the app and go out and have fun. Euhm, no you need to tell us and make us enthousiastic for activity x, y and z at location 1, 2 and 3. bla, bla

I did find the entertainment was geared towards Brits? All performers were from Britain's got talent show.
And i am neither from the uk or usa. Had a completely different expectation from the magic show

Surprised by that comment too, was on the EBTA and had amazing experience with not only our servers but many we got talking to in Cabanas and Flo’s and was much more like the service I had received on the other Disney ships and not like I’d previously experienced on past Dream sailings

I didn't really care for the cruise director though. He just said, check the app and go out and have fun. Euhm, no you need to tell us and make us enthousiastic for activity x, y and z at location 1, 2 and 3. bla, bla
Oh, see, I would actually prefer this. I always feel like cruise directors are eye-rollingly over the top. Stop whooping and hollering and let's just get to the show. I know how the app works and I'll look at what I want to do without being hand-held like a toddler. Low-key is my jam.

Great summary! We had an amazing time, I've been sharing updates on my Instagram and I'll have a go at writing a trip report because I love reading them.

We had a 12:15 PAT too, arrived at 12:07 because we'd allowed lots of time for the taxi ride. It was busy, but we only had to wait a couple of minutes to drop bags off, then cleared security and checked in. We were walking onto the ship at 12:36. Sounds like it got backed up after that!

I guess there was an element of getting used to new ports / timings with the schedule changes on day 1. I was disappointed at The Little Mermaid being dropped after originally appearing in the app, though we were so busy that day that I don't know how we would have found two hours to sit in the cinema.

I'm really surprised they didn't send you a notification about the port adventure time, 6:45 is far too early. I was worried they'd move our Pompeii excursion earlier because the ashore time moved from 8am to 7am but fortunately it stayed the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter