Just back, and stunned by prices

I complain about Disney Prices every time i'm there. Yet I shelled out 700 dollars for 2 day trips to the MK this year. I think if someone is used to vacationing there, the sticker shock is just something you learn to budget for. I've been braging to everyone that my dbf and I booked our trip, including the ddp for 1500 dollars for this summer. They look at me like i'm insane, but I think that is a resonable price.

I always stay humble though. I'll get to see the mouse 3 times in a year, when many families can't afford a day trip in their own state. :guilty:

I think that many of us fail to realize that Disney is not just a vacation destination for American tourists. Many international travelers are accustomed to high food prices and taxes that drive the cost of goods up. Disney charges the prices that they do because they can. They may sell pixie dust and memories, but they are still a business with a concern for the bottom line.

I don't mind it being a business, in fact since I am also a share holder I want disney to do well but you guys know my mantra. Why can't they have quality along with the high prices. I totally expect to pay above prices for food when I go on vacation but sorry Disney's food is subpar for the money they charge.

Now I totally admit one of my problems is that I have been going (or use to, I'm not going back for a while) for years so a lot of it is remembering the "good old days".

Like the op, I go into the shops and all the clothing articles are cheap material (really sorry those tees are tissue paper thin, shrink the nanosecond they are washed) and high price. Brought a zip up hoodie in 2010, it didn't last 2 months before the zipper was getting stuck.
The only good thing is that I save a ton of money because outside of Christmas ornaments I don't find any thing to buy. You know it's bad when you take a 12 year old and they hold onto their entire allotment 'cause even they can tell they stuff is crap. :laughing:

There have always been families who could not afford it, and there always will be. I know families who have never taken any vacation. :confused3

And folks who go to Disney World every year or every other year are an extreme minority. People who take multiple vacations in a year are a minority. I have to remind myself of this fact from time to time because reading these boards can be pretty deceiving.

It seems Disney is coming closer to your personal line in the sand - the point at which you may consider taking fewer trips or none at all. But, honestly, nothing has changed. That line was always there for someone.

I think this is a excellent point, we all have a line in the sand at which we can justify a cost and then the point where we can't. I am close to this line in another part of our lives and it is a tough decision whether to redraw the line or scrap the plans.

Honestly, it's not just Disney. It's everywhere. We took our DD to a 3-D movie and with popcorn / soda it came out to $50! For 3 people!! that's so insane. Gas is beyond ridiculous. We sold our pickup and bought a Prius...which let me tell you, was the best decision we made!

I priced out doing a few days at Universal (for our next trip) with a meal plan and the price was so over the top I couldn't even justify it. I remember when we went to Disney in 2010 and our airfare was $200 each / round trip. We are driving next year because airfare is now over $550 each. (and that's on Southwest!!)

We don't take vacations every year. We can't justify paying out $5k-$6k every year for vacation. So our next Disney trip will be in 2013....3 years after our last trip. We've been budgeting, saving up and putting money in our vacation account. And that's okay with us....I'm sure alot of other people don't go on big vacations every year. When we're there, we make the most of it, because we've budgeted for it.

But I don't think Disney's exclusive of higher prices by any means. It's a destination vacation, just like any other. Try pricing out a cruise, or a trip to Bermuda ....heck, we priced out a week trip to Washington, DC and it came out to $4,000!! (without food!!) that was just hotel and airfare. I told my DH, for $4,000, I want to see a MOUSE!!:laughing:

heck, we priced out a week trip to Washington, DC and it came out to $4,000!! (without food!!) that was just hotel and airfare. I told my DH, for $4,000, I want to see a MOUSE!!

:thumbsup2 This is us too! MIL lives right outside of DC and wanted us to visit for Mother's Day. When I ran the numbers and told DH, he said "We are not going out there and spending that much money. I'd rather just take her on vacation to WDW with us.":woohoo: We didn't have a WDW trip planned so I was elated when that came out of DH's mouth!:cloud9::banana:

DH never went on vacation until we were married. He didn't even want to go to WDW for our first trip:scared1: but fell in love as soon as he walked down Main Street. MIL has never been on vacation and she is 56. She has been to visit family, but has never been on "stay in a hotel, eat out, tour" vacations. That is reality for many Americans.

I honestly don't think prices at WDW for food are that bad. I mean you go to Mcdonalds and a combo are close to $8.50 and I think the food at WDW is better that Mcdonalds. In our last trip just a few weeks ago I compare every restaurant to were we eat back at home and we end up spending about the same. It was my mom's first time WDW since early 90's she also thought the prices were reasonable. We are not big fast food people and never been, so we keep CS to a minimum we did TS at least once a day. Our average bill was $45 for the two of us which is usually want cost us to go out back home. One day we end up going to Romano's Macaroni Grill because we had left the park early and we all wanted italian we spend the same amount of money that dinner than any dinner in WDW.

I thin that water is expensive and we take our waters in as well as souvenirs but souvenirs are not necessary to have a good vacation. Character dinning is usually more expensive than anything you find outside but you are paying for the characters and not for the food. I always said this WDW is one of the most affordable vacations we have taken and found.

At least you are helping the economy and helping to keep hundreds of thousands of American workers employed. All tourist spots are expensive and it is far better to keep it in the U.S.A.

We just went on a 7 day Carnival cruise and the whole trip with airfare, hotel for one night, 2 days with a rental car, and spending cost us around $4000. We are a family of four with a 4 year old and a 10 month old. We did not go on any excursions, we did not do a lot of shopping, we only ate on the boat, we had some alcoholic beverages, we did a very small amount of gambling, and some spa treatments. I would have liked to have taken that $4000 and spent it at Disney but we are going in May and hubby did not want 2 WDW trips in one year :( but anyway, when we to WDW last year we spent $3000. My DS was still in my belly.

When you go on vacation, you gave to figure that the price per person is going to start at $1000 minimally.

That all depends on how you do Disney.

Yes, prices are increasing, but for us, the largest cost is tickets. We eat most of our own food, stay off-site in a condo, drive down, etc......

You don't HAVE to buy souvenirs and you don't HAVE to eat all your meals at Disney. I personally don't think the food is all that good anyway and it has just gone downhill from "not that good" IMHO.

Dawn

I agree. The ticket prices are the big nut and you really have no choice about buying those. Everything else can be done on the cheap. We never buy souvenirs anymore (and when we do, it's at the outlets).

There are some very nice restaurants off site that are very reasonable. There are condos off site (again: reasonably priced) where you can cook breakfast and dinner.

Lunch at the parks is hard to avoid, but also doable with a little planning. At MK, for example, we do all the big rides in the morning...leave for lunch. If we are splurging we go to Kona at the Poly, but there are lunch places within an easy drive that won't cost an arm and a leg...or you can go back to your condo and eat a sandwich.

No, for us, it's definitely the tickets. :scared1:

Disney has been out of reach financially for many families for years. And the prices just keep going up.

Yup, which is why at age 36 and my husband at age 38 have never been to Disney World. We're both one of 4, so that makes us both from families of 6, which can be insane to take down. We only have our twins, and we decided to finally go for it and book our first trip. Aside from the hotel, we are only able to afford to go because we are getting majorly hooked up on discounts, as my best friend is a cast member. If we didn't have her hotel discount, and her being able to sign us into the parks, it would be impossible for us, as we have to get 4 airline tickets. We've read all of the money saving tips and plan on using them to eat strategically, as well as making a Publix run on our first day. And as for souvenirs, we will be buying them at the employee store which is majorly marked down. I personally don't know how so many folks here can go multiple times a year and still do things like fund their kids' college educations and other things without going broke. But everyone has different priorities.

I agree that Disney is expensive, but IMO it's still cheap in terms of vacation destinations. If we went on a local long weekend getaway we'd be looking at $500 bare minimum just for hotel room and gas/parking.

I 100% agree with this. For me yes you are putting out 2,000.00 or more on Disney. But when you check into other vacations it is cheap. You don't believe me? Call and check with a vacation destination in your state to see what it would be to stay there for a week, hotel, food, entertanment, gas for car and so on and you would not yell at paying 2,000.00 for a trip to Disney.

I guess because I live in a resort town I am use to paying high prices for things. And me I don't see anything wrong with the price of 2,000.00-4,000.00 for a trip for 4 to Disney for a week. In the area I live if you get an ocean front room for a week at peak season you are paying about 2,000.00 for a room alone!!! In my area if you want an all you can eat that is about 230.00 before tax, drinks or tip for 4 adults (2 adults and 2 teens). To eat at the local McD's for 4 it is about 30-50.00 depending on what you get.

So to me I don't see anything wrong with the prices. As for buying the "junk" to bring home that is kept to a minumal amount, this will be our 8/9th trip and really dont need much of nothing. And also we are saving so that we can move so we dont need anything.

Yup, which is why at age 36 and my husband at age 38 have never been to Disney World. We're both one of 4, so that makes us both from families of 6, which can be insane to take down. We only have our twins, and we decided to finally go for it and book our first trip. Aside from the hotel, we are only able to afford to go because we are getting majorly hooked up on discounts, as my best friend is a cast member. If we didn't have her hotel discount, and her being able to sign us into the parks, it would be impossible for us, as we have to get 4 airline tickets. We've read all of the money saving tips and plan on using them to eat strategically, as well as making a Publix run on our first day. And as for souvenirs, we will be buying them at the employee store which is majorly marked down. I personally don't know how so many folks here can go multiple times a year and still do things like fund their kids' college educations and other things without going broke. But everyone has different priorities.

People also have different incomes.

I honestly don't think prices at WDW for food are that bad. I mean you go to Mcdonalds and a combo are close to $8.50 and I think the food at WDW is better that Mcdonalds. In our last trip just a few weeks ago I compare every restaurant to were we eat back at home and we end up spending about the same. It was my mom's first time WDW since early 90's she also thought the prices were reasonable. We are not big fast food people and never been, so we keep CS to a minimum we did TS at least once a day. Our average bill was $45 for the two of us which is usually want cost us to go out back home. One day we end up going to Romano's Macaroni Grill because we had left the park early and we all wanted italian we spend the same amount of money that dinner than any dinner in WDW.

I thin that water is expensive and we take our waters in as well as souvenirs but souvenirs are not necessary to have a good vacation. Character dinning is usually more expensive than anything you find outside but you are paying for the characters and not for the food. I always said this WDW is one of the most affordable vacations we have taken and found.

I agree with all this. For my DH and I to take our 3 children on a 10 day vacation in Canada where we need to fly, stay at a hotel and eat, rent a car etc, we will spend more guaranteed. WDW is in our opinion worth the $$$ spent for a safe, family vacation with little hassle. :)

Regarding tickets, our six flags has adult 1 day tickets (including water park) for $49.99, child under 38" is $36.99 and child under 2 is free. Parking is $15-20. And I think the food in most cases is more expensive than Disney. I like six flags, I've been going there since I was small, but it sure ain't Disney.

There are definitely ways to lower the cost of a Disney vacation, but I think a little planning needs to go into it and a budget needs to be set. IMHO, for most people, Disney isn't a place you can visit and just do whatever, because the $$$ adds up quick, especially if you are charging everything to your room and don't keep track.

So to me I don't see anything wrong with the prices.

And that is why a standard room at BWI is $545 per night, peak. Don't forget tax! I don't check mods and values, but I'm guessing they're not modestly or value priced either during peak. They seem to have a lot of rooms left, so maybe a few other people do see something wrong with the prices. :rotfl:

I agree with all this. For my DH and I to take our 3 children on a 10 day vacation in Canada where we need to fly, stay at a hotel and eat, rent a car etc, we will spend more guaranteed. WDW is in our opinion worth the $$$ spent for a safe, family vacation with little hassle. :)

We don't have kids but every time I start pricing a vacation I can't help but think well Disney will only cost us ... I think that is our major problem everything always gets compare to Disney even price wise and it is hard to beat for price.

People also have different incomes.

Agreed. For us, we vacation other places besides Disney and more often than we have been to Disney. We do it because we can afford it. We are still saving for retirement, emergencies, and our kids' education. If we couldn't afford vacations, we wouldn't go.

I personally don't know how so many folks here can go multiple times a year and still do things like fund their kids' college educations and other things without going broke. But everyone has different priorities.
I don't get your point? Are you implying that those multi-trip parents are doing so at the expense of the kids' college funds and other things?

How about this?
Some of us live very close to the Mouse and can visit easily without spending a lot.
Some of us budget very carefully to be able to make that yearly trip happen without impacting the family budget.
And some of us just make enough money to be able to afford college for the kids, fully fund our retirement, pay off the mortgage, buy new cars, purchase healthy foods, live debt-free AND go to Disney multiple times a year!​

I don't get your point? Are you implying that those multi-trip parents are doing so at the expense of the kids' college funds and other things?

How about this?
Some of us live very close to the Mouse and can visit easily without spending a lot.
Some of us budget very carefully to be able to make that yearly trip happen without impacting the family budget.
And some of us just make enough money to be able to afford college for the kids, fully fund our retirement, pay off the mortgage, buy new cars, purchase healthy foods, live debt-free AND go to Disney multiple times a year!​

This. I am fairly new on these boards, but find it amazing how judgemental some people's posts can be, no matter how subtle it is. Our trip in Sept will be our third in three years, and it is no one's business how we afford it, unless we choose to tell them. How we budget our money is up to us, and what we scrimp on does not impact our children in any way. :goodvibes

I was there in January. Turkey legs are now $9.00!!! Just a few years ago they were $5.00.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter