Just Back: 12/24 - 1/1

PlutoTheDog89

DIS Veteran
We just got back from our annual Christmas vacation. After 9 years of going to Disney for Christmas, we're finally taking a break. We spent many years (and tons of money) at Disney for Christmas, but it's time for a change. We love it, and we feel as though we finally mastered it, but it's time for something new. It was starting to get a little stale and we need something fresh. We may take a few smaller trips here and there, but we'll we'll probably return for a longer trip in 2021 after all the construction is done.

Anyway, here's some notes from the past trip...

Weather

- The weather was perfect all week long. It was in the 70s-80s most of the week. New Year's Eve and Day were a little hot, but it was much needed. We kept checking the weather in NY and saying "welp, let's enjoy it..."

- Given past years we over packed. December in Disney is a wild card. It could be cold, damp and in the 30s... or hot and in the 90s. We packed all over the place and of course were prepared for rain and cold weather that never came... Better to be prepared, I guess.

The Crowds

- MK only hit a phased closure on 12/31. I think that's a testament to how crowded it really was. The top rides and attractions drew multi-hour-long waits, but it wasn't anything different than past years.

- AK doesn't feel crowded anymore. I think it's because of the amount of top-tier attractions (FoP, Na'Vi River, Safari, EE), as well as the shows that really soak up the crowds. We were surprised at 5:30pm to find Pandora empty (outside of the queues) and Satuli had no wait.

- Toy Story Land was the most crowded I have ever seen any park ever. You couldn't move.

Toy Story Land

- Oddly constructed. Only one way in and out and they put character meets and photo opts at the front of the park. Are they planning on adding another entrance/exit once Star Wars opens?

- A little underwhelming. I mean, it's cool and well themed, but it's kinda like "that's it?" I feel like the new "thing" at Disney is to create a land and concentrate on the details and theming, then add two attractions. They did it right with Pandora because FoP is the best ride in Disney right now; but TSL has a decent coaster and a carnival ride.

- Slinky Dog coaster is cool. I mean... it's a family friendly ride and definitely not a thrill ride, but it's fun. The coaster really feels like the slinky is extending, then being pulled back... they mastered the movement and theming here. Slinky Dog talking to riders is a really funny addition.

Things we learned/tried/did that could help you...

- We were surprised that MK had such early morning EMHs on Christmas Day. We bit the bullet and went very early, arriving at 6:20am. We did Space Mountain, Buzz, PeopleMover, breakfast at Sleepy Hollow, Jingle Cruise FP+, 7DMT FP+, Thunder Mountain FP+, watched the parade, then grabbed a Dole Whip all before 12:30pm.

- We actually took the afternoons "off" - and accounted for bus transportation. We were done with FP+ and everything by 11am most days; and didn't schedule anything for before 4 or 5pm. This allowed us to really enjoy the pool.

- We Uber'd to reservations at other resorts. Getting around with bag checks at parks (MK) was too much of a hassle and killed our momentum in the past.

- We almost went on a DVC tour. We were actually considering DVC but after checking the boards and reading horror stories of people paying all that money then not being able to get the week(end)s they wanted, we canceled the tour. Do know that if you tour, they will give you up to $50 in gift cards per couple, per household, and 3 FP+ for the day (not for the big rides like TSL, Pandora, etc.) This could come in handy on a crowded day, especially if you have a free day.

Rants

- The service was really bad in and around the parks. Maybe it was the high concentration of people? Also, the Wifi was very bad. Seriously, Disney?

- People are either in a rush to get somewhere, or walking way too slow. There's no in-between. I understand the irony given my last note, but the phones are to blame. Too many people are texting or instagramming their entire trip and don't watch where they're going.

- Many people also lack any social/spacial awareness and manners. Wait for people to get out of the elevator before heading in; I can count on both hands how many times someone nearly barreled over my mom or sister rather than allowing them to pass; If the fireworks or parade starts at 8pm and I've been there since 6:30pm or 7... I'm not allowing you in front of me. If you have a kid, I'll let them by... unless you're the woman who told her kids "just push past them..." I'm not letting you or your kids around me.

- I mentioned it in another thread, but I couldn't believe the amount of people that "gamed" the FP+ system - scanning blue and blowing past the checkpoint... claiming to have a FP+ and holding up the line. Shouldn't have bothered me, but I know there are people stuck waiting 5 hours+ to get on a ride.

I think that's it for now. Feel free to post questions.

We just got back from our annual Christmas vacation. After 9 years of going to Disney for Christmas, we're finally taking a break. We spent many years (and tons of money) at Disney for Christmas, but it's time for a change. We love it, and we feel as though we finally mastered it, but it's time for something new. It was starting to get a little stale and we need something fresh. We may take a few smaller trips here and there, but we'll we'll probably return for a longer trip in 2021 after all the construction is done.

Anyway, here's some notes from the past trip...

Weather

- The weather was perfect all week long. It was in the 70s-80s most of the week. New Year's Eve and Day were a little hot, but it was much needed. We kept checking the weather in NY and saying "welp, let's enjoy it..."

- Given past years we over packed. December in Disney is a wild card. It could be cold, damp and in the 30s... or hot and in the 90s. We packed all over the place and of course were prepared for rain and cold weather that never came... Better to be prepared, I guess.

The Crowds

- MK only hit a phased closure on 12/31. I think that's a testament to how crowded it really was. The top rides and attractions drew multi-hour-long waits, but it wasn't anything different than past years.

- AK doesn't feel crowded anymore. I think it's because of the amount of top-tier attractions (FoP, Na'Vi River, Safari, EE), as well as the shows that really soak up the crowds. We were surprised at 5:30pm to find Pandora empty (outside of the queues) and Satuli had no wait.

- Toy Story Land was the most crowded I have ever seen any park ever. You couldn't move.

Toy Story Land

- Oddly constructed. Only one way in and out and they put character meets and photo opts at the front of the park. Are they planning on adding another entrance/exit once Star Wars opens?

- A little underwhelming. I mean, it's cool and well themed, but it's kinda like "that's it?" I feel like the new "thing" at Disney is to create a land and concentrate on the details and theming, then add two attractions. They did it right with Pandora because FoP is the best ride in Disney right now; but TSL has a decent coaster and a carnival ride.

- Slinky Dog coaster is cool. I mean... it's a family friendly ride and definitely not a thrill ride, but it's fun. The coaster really feels like the slinky is extending, then being pulled back... they mastered the movement and theming here. Slinky Dog talking to riders is a really funny addition.

Things we learned/tried/did that could help you...

- We were surprised that MK had such early morning EMHs on Christmas Day. We bit the bullet and went very early, arriving at 6:20am. We did Space Mountain, Buzz, PeopleMover, breakfast at Sleepy Hollow, Jingle Cruise FP+, 7DMT FP+, Thunder Mountain FP+, watched the parade, then grabbed a Dole Whip all before 12:30pm.

- We actually took the afternoons "off" - and accounted for bus transportation. We were done with FP+ and everything by 11am most days; and didn't schedule anything for before 4 or 5pm. This allowed us to really enjoy the pool.

- We Uber'd to reservations at other resorts. Getting around with bag checks at parks (MK) was too much of a hassle and killed our momentum in the past.

- We almost went on a DVC tour. We were actually considering DVC but after checking the boards and reading horror stories of people paying all that money then not being able to get the week(end)s they wanted, we canceled the tour. Do know that if you tour, they will give you up to $50 in gift cards per couple, per household, and 3 FP+ for the day (not for the big rides like TSL, Pandora, etc.) This could come in handy on a crowded day, especially if you have a free day.

Rants

- The service was really bad in and around the parks. Maybe it was the high concentration of people? Also, the Wifi was very bad. Seriously, Disney?

- People are either in a rush to get somewhere, or walking way too slow. There's no in-between. I understand the irony given my last note, but the phones are to blame. Too many people are texting or instagramming their entire trip and don't watch where they're going.

- Many people also lack any social/spacial awareness and manners. Wait for people to get out of the elevator before heading in; I can count on both hands how many times someone nearly barreled over my mom or sister rather than allowing them to pass; If the fireworks or parade starts at 8pm and I've been there since 6:30pm or 7... I'm not allowing you in front of me. If you have a kid, I'll let them by... unless you're the woman who told her kids "just push past them..." I'm not letting you or your kids around me.

- I mentioned it in another thread, but I couldn't believe the amount of people that "gamed" the FP+ system - scanning blue and blowing past the checkpoint... claiming to have a FP+ and holding up the line. Shouldn't have bothered me, but I know there are people stuck waiting 5 hours+ to get on a ride.

I think that's it for now. Feel free to post questions.
Ive been the same dates as you before and never again. I am also a DVC member at Old Key West and Animal Kingdom Villas Jambo and never have an issue getting what I want. I think people like to complain just to complain. I have been to WDW and Disneyland grand California for a total of 53 days out of the last 365 so DVC is where its at. We are headed down in 3 weeks. DVC will actually give you $100 gift card. Ive had my 20 yo daughter and friend do the tour and each got $100. I think you have to tell them you know its $100 ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter