Jussie Smollett trial

And did Smollett shouting repeatedly he’s “Not Suicidal” hint to his life being in danger? ala Jeffrey Epstein style… Makes you question if he was hired for his acting skills to create a fake hate crime?

Well I just read an article on WGN and he's in protective custody. He should be ashamed of himself and how his actions may affect real victims in the future.

And did Smollett shouting repeatedly he’s “Not Suicidal” hint to his life being in danger? ala Jeffrey Epstein style… Makes you question if he was hired for his acting skills to create a fake hate crime?

Does he get to bring his entourage to jail with him? Does he have to find a new entourage on the inside?

I didn't think he would get that much jail time. The jails in Chicago must not have overcrowding issues....

I didn't think he would get that much jail time. The jails in Chicago must not have overcrowding issues....
Not surprised by the amount of time. I am pretty sure he won't serve all the time given. I think he needs to be hit harder with fines and community service than with jail time. I think he needs to learn why what he did was wrong. He needs to see how false racial attacks hurt all minorities.

They don't because most crooks in Crook County are spun right back out. I would have preferred see Smollett hit with the max for each charge. Having been a victim of actual race based crimes, it's even more appalling to me that he made it up for publicity.

I saw this morning that he was released last night on bond pending an appeal. Is this normal? Does the average person get the same treatment/consideration? It seems to me that this is "special" treatment but since I'm not part of the legal system and don't really follow court cases I don't know.

I saw this morning that he was released last night on bond pending an appeal. Is this normal? Does the average person get the same treatment/consideration? It seems to me that this is "special" treatment but since I'm not part of the legal system and don't really follow court cases I don't know.
It's common enough when the sentence is relatively short and the time to resolve an appeal might be longer than the sentence.

Many states don't allow bail if the conviction was for a serious or violent crime, such as rape or murder. Similarly, some states don't allow post-conviction bail if the trial court has imposed a lengthy sentence. For instance, a Florida court decided that a defendant's sentence of 14 years and 7 months made him a high risk to leave the state; he was therefore properly denied post-conviction bail. (Sims v. Wainwright, 307 F. Supp. 116 (S.D. Fla. 1969).) The reasoning for prohibiting bail in similar scenarios is straightforward: Defendants convicted of serious crimes or facing long prison terms are more likely to skip town to avoid what's awaiting them.​
On the other hand, if the conviction is for a relatively minor crime or the sentence is short, trial courts are more likely to allow bail. Many jurisdictions have determined that bail should be available if a defendant's jail sentence is shorter than the amount of time it will likely take to resolve the appeal (oftentimes a year or more). Otherwise, a defendant could win an appeal after having already served an entire jail or prison sentence.​

It's common enough when the sentence is relatively short and the time to resolve an appeal might be longer than the sentence.

Many states don't allow bail if the conviction was for a serious or violent crime, such as rape or murder. Similarly, some states don't allow post-conviction bail if the trial court has imposed a lengthy sentence. For instance, a Florida court decided that a defendant's sentence of 14 years and 7 months made him a high risk to leave the state; he was therefore properly denied post-conviction bail. (Sims v. Wainwright, 307 F. Supp. 116 (S.D. Fla. 1969).) The reasoning for prohibiting bail in similar scenarios is straightforward: Defendants convicted of serious crimes or facing long prison terms are more likely to skip town to avoid what's awaiting them.​
On the other hand, if the conviction is for a relatively minor crime or the sentence is short, trial courts are more likely to allow bail. Many jurisdictions have determined that bail should be available if a defendant's jail sentence is shorter than the amount of time it will likely tak to resolve the appeal (oftentimes a year or more). Otherwise, a defendant could win an appeal after having already served an entire jail or prison sentence.​

Thanks for the response. I hope he gets more time. I'm not sure if that's possible but that's what I hope.

Thanks for the response. I hope he gets more time. I'm not sure if that's possible but that's what I hope.

Unlikely that he'll get more time, although I've heard of the prosecution appealing a sentence. That's not the case here. The general idea here is that it might take a year for the appeal to work its way through the courts, and he can't get that time in jail back. But if he loses his appeal then they can always make him serve that time at a later date. I guess unless he's dead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter