Juneteenth set to become a federal holiday in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, truly off the charts! So this is a black only holiday? So you want us all to celebrate this day but it can only be about black people? I would call that black privilege at it's finest. Sorry if you don't like it but that's how your comment is coming across. You assume some are uncomfortable with this day, I'm not sure why but you can think what you like it doesn't matter to me. I never asked for the name to be changed, never even suggested it, just wanted to know how the name came about. If you think that is white privilege then you have a problem not me. It appears that this holiday is becoming a very divisive day rather than a day to bring us together based on your comment.

Not even going to touch the last part, you seem to have some very deep issues. Wishing you well, I hope you can find peace in your life.
Black privilege isn’t a thing. Even saying that is beyond offensive.

And please stop telling people that they have a problem, not you. You may not mean to, but every single one of your posts on this thread has come across defensive & dismissive and not at all like you’re trying to learn.

It is not a divisive day for those who truly understand the significance of it.

I ask this with the upmost respect. If Juneteenth will be seen as a solely one ethnicity centric holiday, what is the right way for non African Americans to celebrate it if no one else is allowed to find a personal relatable meaning on the holiday for them? I’m not saying to whitewash the holiday (like changing the name). But this feels more like I shouldn’t celebrate because I had ancestors who were mistreated and one who fought in the Civil War but according to some on this board that would be trying to undervalue the meaning of the day. Just a little conflicted on what is the correct way to celebrate the day respectfully.

My family gave up everything and ended up destitute to fight against slavery. I live in an underground railroad area that was teaming with abolitionists. While my 3rd great-grandfather was in a Civil War prison in GA, wages were lost. It wasn't a time when young mothers worked. I believe that my 3rd great g-ma did laundry at the local college (at least that's how the family history goes. But they were poor.
That poverty continues throughout generations, on that side of the family.
The day really really does have special meaning for me too.
Truly.

Am I allowed to celebrate?

The first Juneteenth celebration in Denver was in 1953. All of my ancestors arrived in this country after slavery ended so I obviously have no familial ties to slavery or the Civil War. However, I went to my first Juneteenth celebration on June 19th, a few weeks after I finished first grade. My family went with my best friend's family who was African American. I probably had no idea that I was one of the few children with white blond hair and that my family was probably one of the only few white families there. We've gone almost every year since unless we were out of town or I had a swim meet when I was a child.

So to answer the question, can we celebrate as well? Yes you can. I've been celebrating Juneteenth since the age of 7. I truly had no idea that celebrating something so historic would be in question.

Black privilege isn’t a thing. Even saying that is beyond offensive.

And please stop telling people that they have a problem, not you. You may not mean to, but every single one of your posts on this thread has come across defensive & dismissive and not at all like you’re trying to learn.

It is not a divisive day for those who truly understand the significance of it.

Your comments really beg for a response from me but I'm going to take the high road and abstained from replying to you point by point.

Wow, truly off the charts! So this is a black only holiday? So you want us all to celebrate this day but it can only be about black people? I would call that black privilege at it's finest. Sorry if you don't like it but that's how your comment is coming across. You assume some are uncomfortable with this day, I'm not sure why but you can think what you like it doesn't matter to me. I never asked for the name to be changed, never even suggested it, just wanted to know how the name came about. If you think that is white privilege then you have a problem not me. It appears that this holiday is becoming a very divisive day rather than a day to bring us together based on your comment.

Not even going to touch the last part, you seem to have some very deep issues. Wishing you well, I hope you can find peace in your life.
Just to correct you, I'm white...and recognize that I have white privilege.

If Juneteenth is becoming decisive, it's because of those who want to force it to be something that makes them feel nice and cozy. For the record, Juneteenth does make me feel uncomfortable. It makes me ashamed that people were held in bondage simply because of the color of their skin and even though they may have been emancipated, to this day the struggle and fight against a system that is against them simply because of the color of their skin. It makes me uncomfortable to know that solely because I was "fortunate" and born white, I'll never face the struggles that people of color still face today.

It's not a black only holiday. You want to know how you can celebrate. Take some time to research and really familiarize yourself with what people of color have dealt with in the country from slavery, to Jim Crow laws, to the systemic racism that exists today. That's how you can celebrate and commemorate this day. I know that's whats I've done as a white person to celebrate and commemorate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter