June 27th check in..should we wait or cancel

3kidz4dis

DIS Veteran
We have an Aulani June 27th check in with 2018 points (that expire in Nov) and 2019 points. We obviously are going to cancel since no one wants to quarantine in their hotel rooms but I was wondering if there is any benefit to waiting for DVC to cancel on us? Just wanted to make sure I am not missing any benefit of letting them do it vs doing it ourselves?

I don’t think you need to wait because you can still bank your points from 2019.

The 2018 points aren't part of the UYs that got extensions. The only reason to wait until 31 days before is if you might go.

I don’t think you need to wait because you can still bank your points from 2019.

The 2018 points aren't part of the UYs that got extensions. The only reason to wait until 31 days before is if you might go.
Obviously since DVC keeps making new updates and revisions, is there anything they may change about their rulings on the 2018 points and the 50% borrowing rule? I just don't want to unnecessarily move too soon or too late when revisions/exceptions could be coming.

There’s really no benefit to waiting for them to do it. In fact, by waiting you are kind of taking a gamble that they won’t be open. If Aulani is open in the middle of the month and you have to cancel, I doubt DVC will be as flexible about points in holding, etc. Some have a theory that Aulani, HHI and Vero will be open before DL and WDW resorts.

Also I had my March WDW trip canceled by Disney the week before, and the only benefit was that points went back into the 2019 use year where I had put them and not into holding or other use years. That’s probably the most lenient they will be. So I’m not sure what you’d be waiting for?

There’s really no benefit to waiting for them to do it. In fact, by waiting you are kind of taking a gamble that they won’t be open. If Aulani is open in the middle of the month and you have to cancel, I doubt DVC will be as flexible about points in holding, etc. Some have a theory that Aulani, HHI and Vero will be open before DL and WDW resorts.
I received notification from the second leg of our trip in Kauai (the owner of the condo I am renting) that it looks like June will be under quarantine rules. I would hope that if Oahu is still under quarantine, that Aulani would not open as everyone would be bound to their rooms the entire stay. I could see Vero and HH being on a different timeline.

Well, all Disney would likely do if they cancel it for you is put your points back into whatever use year they had been banked or borrowed into with no holding.

Obviously since DVC keeps making new updates and revisions, is there anything they may change about their rulings on the 2018 points and the 50% borrowing rule? I just don't want to unnecessarily move too soon or too late when revisions/exceptions could be coming.

I think the only change to the 2018 banked points would come if nothing opens before Dec and you’ve had no time to use them at all,

Even Aug UY 2018 banked points have been given no extension yet, so i don’t see it for Dec UY. The borrowed points rule at 50% IMO will be in play at least a year as that was a way to help with too many points now.

I think the only change to the 2018 banked points would come if nothing opens before Dec and you’ve had no time to use them at all,

Even Aug UY 2018 banked points have been given no extension yet, so i don’t see it for Dec UY. The borrowed points rule at 50% IMO will be in play at least a year as that was a way to help with too many points now.
ok..thank you...understood!

I have a followup question...We used our 150 2018 points and 150 2019 points and I think an extra 100 borrowed 2020 points for a 2 (1 bedroom) night stay and 5 (2 bedroom) ocean front Aulani. If we try and go next year we will have lost our 2018 points and will not be able to borrow what we need to make up for the trip with the 50%. So could we book a 1 bedroom, then waitlist for the 2 bedroom for if they release the 50% requirement. Just thinking out loud of our options...hope this makes sense??

I have a followup question...We used our 150 2018 points and 150 2019 points and I think an extra 100 borrowed 2020 points for a 2 (1 bedroom) night stay and 5 (2 bedroom) ocean front Aulani. If we try and go next year we will have lost our 2018 points and will not be able to borrow what we need to make up for the trip with the 50%. So could we book a 1 bedroom, then waitlist for the 2 bedroom for if they release the 50% requirement. Just thinking out loud of our options...hope this makes sense??

Yes, you can do that. If the rule is still there, the waitlist just won’t fill!

I was heading to Aulani around the same time. Once I got emails from recreation.gov that they were canceling my Pearl Harbor and Haleakala sunrise reservations, I canceled the entire trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!