June 27, 2013 - Magic in the Med (Venice)

Let's all take a moment to celebrate Walt Disney's birthday today - for without him, we would not have the Disney experiences we've had and are yet to come.

Thanks, Walt! May your legacy continue.

Let's all take a moment to celebrate Walt Disney's birthday today - for without him, we would not have the Disney experiences we've had and are yet to come.

Thanks, Walt! May your legacy continue.

20-mickey-mouse-happy-birthday.gif

I just ordered this Pacsafe item from amazon for the trip. I will probably wrap it for myself for Christmas :) Amazon had a facebook "claim this offer" for $5 off $25 plus free shipping, so it was within my budget.

Now to just find one thing to wrap for DH and Zachary for Christmas and my holiday shopping should be complete. We aren't doing much for Christmas because of the trip, but I think it would stink to not have ANYTHING to unwrap on Christmas. Last year we took a cruise, so that was different as the cruise was our Christmas (but :santa: still delivered for the boys). :santa: is bringing the boys a video game each, but I want them to also have one thing from us. Nathan has asked for a box of tissues. Funny boy - but serious allergies, so useful, too! They are getting cash from grandparents and their uncle so they can buy whatever else it is they are wanting.

I was just looking on the DCL website at some of the shore excursions, as they seem to have been posted more..

It's interesting that a lot of the Rome ones say, and I quote "
This tour is not available for the Disney Magic 12 Night Venice cruises as the Vatican Museums are not available to private groups. "

So... do *any*(?) of the tours go to the Vatican..

We're actually there June 30, 2013 (Sunday), and the Vatican Museum website says they are 'Open'.. so.. I'm confused.

I was just looking on the DCL website at some of the shore excursions, as they seem to have been posted more..

It's interesting that a lot of the Rome ones say, and I quote "
This tour is not available for the Disney Magic 12 Night Venice cruises as the Vatican Museums are not available to private groups. "

So... do *any*(?) of the tours go to the Vatican..

We're actually there June 30, 2013 (Sunday), and the Vatican Museum website says they are 'Open'.. so.. I'm confused.

The main reason is yes the Vatican is open, but it's the last Sunday of the month, which is free admission to all of the Vatican museums. Tour companies can't make reservations for their tour groups, so they don't offer the Vatican on those days. I'm guessing no tours that day will go inside of the actual Vatican, though you might get a stop in St. Peter's Square. It's actually recommended if you wish to visit the Vatican on the "free" Sunday to get there as early as possible as it does get VERY crowded. As our time in Rome is limited, plan on most of, if not all of your day will be in the Vatican if you wish to visit. A private tour might be your best bet if you wish to see the Vatican.

Now i get it..
Thanks for explaining..

I'm not sure what I want to see (nor what the wife/boys (12, 9) would want to see).. maybe the coliseum. Not sure if I want to be "VERY" crowded, that's for sure.. I wonder what the ABD people are doing if anything special.

On the other side lately.. dang, airfare stinks :( Hope it comes down soon

Now i get it..
Thanks for explaining..

I'm not sure what I want to see (nor what the wife/boys (12, 9) would want to see).. maybe the coliseum. Not sure if I want to be "VERY" crowded, that's for sure.. I wonder what the ABD people are doing if anything special.

If you want the coliseum, make sure you pre-book your tickets, otherwise you'll be waiting in a hour long line to get them if you wait until onsite.

Now i get it..
Thanks for explaining..

I didn't respond to your air quote. Air has actually come down, but not to the levels where I booked it at, which was the 330 day mark basically. I booked it at 1000 pp, which was what I paid in 2010, so I was happy with that. I don't think or wouldn't expect it to fall much below that number. I've been checking periodically and air from PHL,EWR and JFK has consistently been the rise. Right now the cheapest from those 3 airports is 1100 out of PHL, which is where we're flying from. I'd pick your number and if you see it, go for it... That's what I did, I was hoping to pay what I paid in 2010 and when I saw it I grabbed it........

Yes, we were also disappointed to have to skip the Vatican:sad2:
And to top it off we are in Malta on a Sunday too which means the Co-Cathedral we were hoping to see is closed also:sad2:

I'm doing a private tour in Rome with another family and luckily there is plenty else to see. The colosseum, the pantheon, the forum, Trevi fountain, circus maximus, and maybe even St Peter's Basillica if the tour guide thinks they can get us in at the right time.

Managed to get airfare at about $1040 pp, flying from VA to Toronto to BCN. Hope it comes down for you:thumbsup2

I just ordered this Pacsafe item from amazon for the trip. I will probably wrap it for myself for Christmas :) Amazon had a facebook "claim this offer" for $5 off $25 plus free shipping, so it was within my budget.

Now to just find one thing to wrap for DH and Zachary for Christmas and my holiday shopping should be complete. We aren't doing much for Christmas because of the trip, but I think it would stink to not have ANYTHING to unwrap on Christmas. Last year we took a cruise, so that was different as the cruise was our Christmas (but :santa: still delivered for the boys). :santa: is bringing the boys a video game each, but I want them to also have one thing from us. Nathan has asked for a box of tissues. Funny boy - but serious allergies, so useful, too! They are getting cash from grandparents and their uncle so they can buy whatever else it is they are wanting.
Both of my kids are asking for video games too:upsidedow
They will have earned them though as their Grandpa insists that we all go to see Les Miserables on Chrsitmas Day. I wanted to see the movie anyway, but I am pretty sure my kids had no intention of seeing it. Is the movie really almost 3 hours long ?
My sister is trying to figure out a way to explain to my Dad why she doesn't want her 11 year old DS seeing it:rotfl:

Both of my kids are asking for video games too:upsidedow
They will have earned them though as their Grandpa insists that we all go to see Les Miserables on Chrsitmas Day. I wanted to see the movie anyway, but I am pretty sure my kids had no intention of seeing it. Is the movie really almost 3 hours long ?
My sister is trying to figure out a way to explain to my Dad why she doesn't want her 11 year old DS seeing it:rotfl:

I don't buy videogames for the boys any more, but Santa will occcasionally bring one for them :)

I'm looking forward to seeing Les Miserables, but neither Gary nor the boys want to see it, so I'm going with a friend a few days after Christmas. I have some movie-cash I got from Cheerios boxes that I can use so it will be like a freebie - all the better since my Christmas gift is the new catalytic converter I had to get in my car yesterday. I asked them if they would put a big red bow on the hood of my car so I could at least pretend I got something cool for Christmas. I really didn't need the expense right now.

Airfare for my flights have increased $178 since I booked. Guess I must have gotten a black Friday deal. As painful as it was, I'm glad I jumped on it.

I don't buy videogames for the boys any more, but Santa will occcasionally bring one for them :)

I'm looking forward to seeing Les Miserables, but neither Gary nor the boys want to see it, so I'm going with a friend a few days after Christmas. I have some movie-cash I got from Cheerios boxes that I can use so it will be like a freebie - all the better since my Christmas gift is the new catalytic converter I had to get in my car yesterday. I asked them if they would put a big red bow on the hood of my car so I could at least pretend I got something cool for Christmas. I really didn't need the expense right now.
Ugg, hate car bills, especially at Christmas :headache:
Hoping our cars hold out for a while:guilty:

Airfare for my flights have increased $178 since I booked. Guess I must have gotten a black Friday deal. As painful as it was, I'm glad I jumped on it.
:thumbsup2
Yeah, that airfare is a huge hurdle.
So hard to predict airfare:confused3

I just sent an email to our favorite waiter to see if he will be on the Magic for this trip. I sure hope so!

I just sent an email to our favorite waiter to see if he will be on the Magic for this trip. I sure hope so!

I've never had the same server twice. They've all been pretty good. Probably the one we had on our last cruise (on the Fantasy) was the best so far. Very friendly and efficient:cool1:
I don't remember her name though :headache:

I've never had the same server twice. They've all been pretty good. Probably the one we had on our last cruise (on the Fantasy) was the best so far. Very friendly and efficient:cool1:
I don't remember her name though :headache:

We have always had good ones except for twice. We had one 4 times before he retired but when we were on the Fantasy this summer he saw us. We were delighted to find out he may be moving to the Magic this spring. Sure hope so but if not we have another waiter on the Magic that we like. Just need to know who to request. It also helps their ratings if they are requested.

We have always had good ones except for twice. We had one 4 times before he retired but when we were on the Fantasy this summer he saw us. We were delighted to find out he may be moving to the Magic this spring. Sure hope so but if not we have another waiter on the Magic that we like. Just need to know who to request. It also helps their ratings if they are requested.

I did request a server once and it never came through:confused3
Not a huge deal as the server we wound up with was fine.
Good to know that the request helps them out.:thumbsup2

I agree with the pick-your-pricepoint for airfare and just book it when it's at the price you think is good. If you wait too late, you won't get the flight schedule you want or you won't get to sit together (if that's important) or you will end up with a middle seat between strangers who will fall asleep and drool on you ;) We picked out price point and watched for several weeks before booking - only once have we seen the price dip and it wasn't by much. Today's price is $39 more than what we paid - and that's about the highest it's gone. Because we wanted to sit together and have decent location on the flights, it was in our interest to book early when we did. We like a side, two seats together, one row in front of the other so we can hand off stuff or change seats without disrupting other passengers (or being disrupted by others).

Gydell - who is your favorite server? We have only once had the same waiter - and it was the assistant waiter we had on our very first cruise in 2005 - he was our assistance waiter in Alaska in 2011, so that was fun to see him again. We saw our waiter from the Baltic in 2010 on the Alaska cruise as well and he remembered us! It wasn't a fake remembering, either, because he remembered that Nathan always wanted a bowl of grapes and some lemon wedges at dinner :) He would come by to say hello from time to time during the week. I will say that our very best serving team was in the Med in 2007 - Andrew and Vivian - maybe it's because we spent 10 nights together and we went to dinner every night because they made it so very easy! Any more we skip dinner in the dining room about as much as we eat there - I always like to go on rotation night because I love the creme brulee cheesecake they serve in Parrot Cay and always ask for it regardless of which restaurant we're in on the nights they are serving it :) I will definitely get my fill this summer!

We are now at the push for the end of the school semester - this week of classes and next week is exams. I was hoping there would be no Latin exam for the boys so they could have Tuesday off as neither have exams in the other period that tests that day, but they do have a test in Latin. I'm very excited that they want to go to Pompeii because of their Latin class, so that is our #1 excursion to book when the window opens this spring.

Laurie - we have some of the same places on our list for our tour of Rome - circus maximus and the forum for sure. My BIL/SIL were telling us some other places we might be interested in but I need them to email them to me so I can put them on our list.

I did request a server once and it never came through:confused3
Not a huge deal as the server we wound up with was fine.
Good to know that the request helps them out.:thumbsup2

Your server could have been on leave. That happened to us once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter