• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

June 2017 Disneyland Check In!!!

Okay, I believe I have everyone updated on the first post. If I've missed you, let me know. If you've changed your date or hotel and I didn't make the change, please drop me a note or reply to this post and I'll make sure to get you updated. The list is getting longer and some of you have been very enthusiastic about hotel jumping! :rotfl2:

Where is everyone in their planning? I feel like it's so close and so far away at the same time. I want to start planning and preparing, but then I think it's 3+ months away, but then I think there should be something I need to do.

I have our hotel booked, flights booked, and a reservation at the kennel for the pup. I've also bought a couple of books on Hidden Mickeys because my DD11 really enjoys playing games like that around the park.

I still need to decided on transportation from the airport to the hotel. I think I may try Lansky's just because they seem to be recommended so often I'd like to try them out myself. We'll eat a late breakfast at Minnie and Friends one morning. I know I want to do the WOC dessert seating one night, but I need to decide which night because that will help the rest of our dining options fall into place. DD wants to eat at Blue Bayou and I think eating there for lunch is more fun than dinner because it feels so bizarre to emerge from a "nighttime" lunch into bright sunshine! I like to plan at least one TS meal each day and between WOC, BB, and Minnie and Friends, that's three day's worth of TS covered. I don't like to get TOO tied into meal times, but it's nice to know there is one time each day we can show up without a wait, relax, eat, and get on with the show. DD11 outgrows her tennis shoes faster than I can blink, so I probably need to think about getting her a new pair in the next few weeks so they will hopefully still fit and they will be worn in a bit. And I'm trying to decided if I want to do my usual boring backpack, get a new Disney backpack, or just use my D&B 55th Anniversary letter carrier purse. It carries quite a bit and is pretty comfortable over the shoulder. I just don't know if it will be comfortable all day long.

I have our hotel booked, flights booked, and a reservation at the kennel for the pup. I've also bought a couple of books on Hidden Mickeys because my DD11 really enjoys playing games like that around the park.

I still need to decided on transportation from the airport to the hotel. I think I may try Lansky's just because they seem to be recommended so often I'd like to try them out myself. We'll eat a late breakfast at Minnie and Friends one morning. I know I want to do the WOC dessert seating one night, but I need to decide which night because that will help the rest of our dining options fall into place. DD wants to eat at Blue Bayou and I think eating there for lunch is more fun than dinner because it feels so bizarre to emerge from a "nighttime" lunch into bright sunshine! I like to plan at least one TS meal each day and between WOC, BB, and Minnie and Friends, that's three day's worth of TS covered. I don't like to get TOO tied into meal times, but it's nice to know there is one time each day we can show up without a wait, relax, eat, and get on with the show. DD11 outgrows her tennis shoes faster than I can blink, so I probably need to think about getting her a new pair in the next few weeks so they will hopefully still fit and they will be worn in a bit. And I'm trying to decided if I want to do my usual boring backpack, get a new Disney backpack, or just use my D&B 55th Anniversary letter carrier purse. It carries quite a bit and is pretty comfortable over the shoulder. I just don't know if it will be comfortable all day long.

I wear a cross body purse in the parks - I love it. I do tend to chose ones with thicker shoulder straps though. I find them so much nicer than having a backpack trap all the sweat and heat against my back all day.

Last edited:
pixiedust:We're Going to Disneyland!!! pixiedust:

VandVsMama - 5/30-6/3 - Hojo
8lovesmickey - 5/31-6/3 - BWPPI
pdarrah - 6/1-6/7 - Candy Cane Inn
pmaurer74 - 6/3-6/9 - VGC
NDDisneydad - 6/3-6/12 - BWPPI
pepperandchips - 6/4-6/8 - VGC and PVI or DLH
griffin123 - 6/4-6/9 - Quality Inn
Meriweather - 6/4-6/9 - VGC

MidnightRed - 6/4-6/9 - Hojo
racefans44 - 6/4-6/9 - DLH
jenng1983 - 6/4-6/10 - PVI
EsmeCullen - 6/5-6-8 - BWPPI
PlutoRocks - 6/5-6/8 - Desert Palms
TygerHawks - 6/5-6/11 - Baymont Inn and Suites
yolie3025 - 6/6-6/9
disneymouse16 - 6/6-6/10 - BWPPI
jkluttrell - 6/7-6/12 - Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn
princessme21114 - 6/8-6/11 - Desert Inn & Suites
hjgaus - 6/9-6/11 - VGC
Disney_Alli - 6/10-6/16 - Sheraton and VGC

tinklvsu - 6/10-6/16 -Best Western Plus
Pavilions
DisBud - 6/10-6/17 - Desert Inn & Suites
MouseLover - 6/10-6/17 - undecided
beachdreamr1229 - 6/11-6/13 - Courtyard Theme Park Entrance
Drcbelle - 6/12-6/14 - PPH

sunryzez - 6/12-6/16 - GCH
frank808 - 6/12-6/23 - VGC
3TinksAndAnEeyore - 6/13-6/16 - DLH
proud mom - 6/13-6/16
julieanddanny - 6/17-6/23 - BWPPI
CanadianHarmony - 6/17-6/24 - Del Sol Inn
agamble - 6/17-6/24 - Dolphin's Cove
BadPinkTink - 6/18-6/21 -
Desert Inn and Suites
tlovesdis - 6/18-6/21 - undecided

mamapenguin - 6/18-6/22
Minniemouse07 - 6/19-6/22 - BWPPI
Jfsag123 - 6/19-6/23 - Hojo
lalasmama - 6/20-6/24 - Baymont
Rockiedave - 6/21-6/24 - PPH
ErinF - 6/21-6/27 - Hojo
ClaraOswald - 6/21-6/29 - Desert Inn
luckycharliegirl - 6/24-6-29 - Best Western Pavilions
Khokhonutt - 6/25-7/1 - BWPPI

nandsmum - 6/25-7/2 - undecided
Queen of the WDW Scene - 6/25-7/2 - Residence Inn Convention Center
auteur55 - 6/26-6/28
rootbeer - 6/26-6/28 - BWPPI
E&As Mom -6/26-7/1 - PPH

Who else? Let me know in a post below and I'll add you to the list!
BroncosFans 6-1 to 6-9 - homeaway

I'm halfway through reading the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland lol. At this point, I'm just trying to get a handle on which attractions are likely to be priorities for our family and the best way to make sure we see them. I'm also considering a couple of dining reservations. The thing I'm struggling with the most is trying to figure out how to best use FP. I'm trying to get back into the mindset of our time at WDW with legacy FP, but the potential juggling that can come with the park hopping at DL is throwing me off. Also, I'm aware that maxpass may be around by that time, potentially switching up the way things work.
me too I am so confused. 15 WDW trips in and this is my first DLR trip. I don't know how to do the parks!

I wear a cross body purse in the parks - I love it. I do tend to chose ones with thicker shoulder straps though. I find them so much nicer than having a backpack trap all the swear and heat against my back all day.

That's how I feel about backpacks, too. Ick! My DH generally will be the backpack carrier for the family, but since he and my older DD won't be on this trip, I'm thinking younger DD and I just travel light. Since we are staying at the DLH, it's not like it's all that far if we need to go back for anything. Though I think we will try to plan water rides for right before we are already planning to head back to the hotel.

yes. It was helpful but still clueless as to what to do and I read the DLR guide as well.

I know the feeling! HydroGuy's guide is great and I feel like it definitely helped me to get a good overview of DLR and the ways in which it is similar to and different from WDW. However, I'm still struggling to put together an actual plan. In our case, it's just a different touring style than were used to. We don't parkhop at all at WDW, but the ease of park hopping at DL means we will want to do it there. I'm not quite sure what the back and forth will look like in practice.

Also, it's easy for me to structure our days around our pre-booked FP+ reservations at WDW, but I have no idea when or where we'll be at any given time along with what availability will look like in this case. It's easy for us to go with the flow at WDW because we already know for sure that we'll get on our must-dos, along with what time.

I'm not stressing too much over it, as I know we'll have a great time regardless and I'm so excited to finally get to really see DLR. I'm just not used to only being 3 months away from a Disney trip and having no idea what it's actually going to look like. It will be an adventure. ;) Very grateful for the folks on this board!

yes. It was helpful but still clueless as to what to do and I read the DLR guide as well.

I know the feeling! HydroGuy's guide is great and I feel like it definitely helped me to get a good overview of DLR and the ways in which it is similar to and different from WDW. However, I'm still struggling to put together an actual plan. In our case, it's just a different touring style than were used to. We don't parkhop at all at WDW, but the ease of park hopping at DL means we will want to do it there. I'm not quite sure what the back and forth will look like in practice.

Also, it's easy for me to structure our days around our pre-booked FP+ reservations at WDW, but I have no idea when or where we'll be at any given time along with what availability will look like in this case. It's easy for us to go with the flow at WDW because we already know for sure that we'll get on our must-dos, along with what time.

I'm not stressing too much over it, as I know we'll have a great time regardless and I'm so excited to finally get to really see DLR. I'm just not used to only being 3 months away from a Disney trip and having no idea what it's actually going to look like. It will be an adventure. ;) Very grateful for the folks on this board!

I think Jfsag123 has the right idea. Although we have not been to DLR yet, I'm approaching this trip much like we did our previous WDW trips. I have not been to WDW since the implementation of FP+ mainly because I can't get my head around the notion of planning your day to that extent. For that reason I have been very hesitant to back to WDW.

Our plans have always been more about having ideas for what we want to do. We have a general idea of which park we'll be in each day. We've always rope dropped and park hopped. And we've always left time in the trip for "wandering." For this trip I've been reading through the rope drop strategies, mainly as a means to make sure we get in the rides we want to do. I'm also planning on getting a ridemax subscription for the trip and try setting up some plans for the days we have in mind. I'm not sure how close I'll follow those plans, but I'm interested in seeing what they have to say.

Here are some of the things we have in mind, to give you an idea of my thinking...

We'll be in the parks Monday through Friday, the last week of June. We'll arrive in the area on Sunday and are staying at BWPPI. When we arrive on Sunday morning, we plan to stop by the hotel and see if we can park and check in. If for some reason we have to wait until later in the day to park and check in, we're headed down to a mall about 30 minutes away for what's supposed to be some legit Dim Sum. Once we secure parking at the hotel, we plan to hit DTD and check out the Disney resorts. We hope to hit Trader Sam's at some point and maybe see some of the fireworks from DTD before calling it a night.

Monday, we're going to start at DL because I've always liked starting our trips at the Magic Kingdom. It just gets the magic started for us. We've got 5 days in the parks, so we mostly hope to get oriented, by wandering through both parks the first day. We're planning to eat at Blue Bayou for lunch and we want to see the DL fireworks that night (since the fireworks can be cancelled we'll make a point of seeing them as soon as we can). That's as far as we have our day planned for that day. We'll ride rides as they make sense. Most likely grab a couple fast passes where they make sense and enjoy.

As far as fast pass goes, I get how if you're sold on FP+ at WDW you might not get the old system. But it's the only system I've ever used, well aside from there being no fast pass back in the day. Once you know all the rules for the traditional fast pass, it's really a matter of following those rules. An app that keeps up with the fast pass return times is very helpful, so you know when fast passes are going fast. They also can help you plan your day as you go, based on return times and when you can pull new fastpasses. Our first time using this system was in 2004 and we took to it quickly. The only thing that has changed since then is the enforced return times and frankly I don't see that making a huge impact, based on how we used fast passes.

Tuesday, we'll rope drop and do our Magic Morning at DL. This will be our first "hardcore" ride day where we'll get there early, follow the guidance we've seen to hit the rides we want to ride. I've penciled in lunch at Cafe Orleans for this day and we'll likely head back to the room not long after lunch to hang out and rest, then head back to the parks later that day. Our general plan for each day will be to hit the "feature meal" of the day for lunch, which will either be a TS meal or another place that folks have said you want to hit early, if possible. Then we'll have counter service or snacks for our later in the day meals. We're going to try to do the WOC dessert party on Tuesday, with a plan to get 2 dessert party reservations during the week in case the first one is cancelled for some reason.

Wednesday, we're going to hit CA at rope drop. I understand this is an EMH day for Disney resort guests, but we'll work through that the best we can. We'll watch the apps for fast pass times. One item we have on our list of things to do, is a list of rides we want to ride both during the day and at night. I've always loved the Jungle Cruise at night, for example, so I always make a point of riding it during the day and at night. We've got the Matterhorn, Radiator Springs Racers and the monorail on that list as well. We'll plan some of our fast passes, where it makes sense around those ideas. Wednesday, since we'll be in CA, we want to try to hit the Cove Bar when it opens for drinks and lobster nachos. We also plan to break up the day by going back to the hotel in the afternoon. And we plan to try to see the fireworks at DL.

Thursday, we're hitting CA at rope drop again. This will be our only day when we're on even footing with the Disney resort guests in CA, so we'll try to hit our favorites again and anything we missed on this day. We don't have a specific lunch planned for this day. This is the day we plan to schedule our second WOC dessert party. Most likely if we make the first party on Tuesday, we'll cancel this one. But, if the experience blows us away, we're leaving the door open to do it again.

We're hoping by late Thursday we've hit most of our must rides, so Friday will be our do it again day. We're thinking River Belle Terrace for lunch this day. As far as food goes, I've got notes for all of the must try items folks have recommended. I have got to have churros at least once. They seem to be quite the lightning rod topic between WDW'ers and DLR'ers, so I need to form my own opinion there. There are also a ton of items, from corn dogs to bread bowls and of course a Disney trip isn't complete without a Mickey ice cream bar and a Dole Whip. This is one of the reasons we have very minimal scheduled meals for this trip. We find avoiding prime meal times and just snacking when we're hungry works in general. With the list of must try's we have, that plan works well for us.

I hope this helps. Worst case, you're at Disney, so it should be a grand time.

I feel the same way. We have 4 day hopper tickets so I am sure we will get to do everything we want but I have no plans on what to do each day except for the three dining reservations and the Frozen boutique

That's how I feel about backpacks, too. Ick! My DH generally will be the backpack carrier for the family, but since he and my older DD won't be on this trip, I'm thinking younger DD and I just travel light. Since we are staying at the DLH, it's not like it's all that far if we need to go back for anything. Though I think we will try to plan water rides for right before we are already planning to head back to the hotel.
I agree about backpacks! My DH always wants me to bring 1 into the parks, but I really hate having my back drenched in sweat all day from it. I usually just bring a lightweight purse. And this time around, the kids are going to have a bag to themselves that they will take turns carrying, so my sherpa load is significantly lightened.

When our family is planning a DL trip, we follow a few rules of thumb in order to get started:
  1. Have each person in the family/travel group pick THE #1 ride/attraction that he/she wants to go on or see for that trip.
  2. Plan on trying to get to EACH of those #1 picks on your first day. Reason for doing this is that if your #1 pick is down or it's fireworks and they cancelled fireworks because of high winds, then you still have the remaining days of your trip to be able to do it.
  3. Have each person pick 1 restaurant that they really want to go to. Decide on what days to go to those restaurants. Discuss/negotiate accordingly based on your travel budget. If any of the restaurants are TS, then make reservations for that TS restaurant at some point between 60 days before the trip and the day of the trip. If you wait until the day before you go, though, time slots at certain places like Blue Bayou might be harder to find.
  4. Decide if you're going to be "rope droppers" or not. Seriously consider doing this, ESPECIALLY since your trip is in the summer (June!). :-) At DL, the early bird really does get the worm. You can go on A LOT OF RIDES in the first two hours that the parks are open. Seriously. Really. No joke.
  5. If you have park tickets for 3 or more days, even if you're not a rope dropper on every day, you really do need to get up super early on a Tues, Thurs, or Saturday and take advantage of the EMH that comes with your ticket because most of the time in June, EMH is from 7-8am. At 7 am, DL is a ghost town. We regularly go on 6 rides in that hour in Fantasyland. I'm talking no wait and you walk on it or maybe wait 2 minutes. It's amazing. If you wait and sleep in and don't get there until 10-11am, then those wait times start to creep up and are much much longer.
  6. Take a break at your hotel in the afternoon if you are within walking distance. This is a must for our family because my DH gets Theme Park Fatigue and gets cranky. Plus, the kids want to swim. But if we stayed at a hotel that requires you to take ART to get to the parks because of distance, then we wouldn't take an afternoon break.

As far as fast pass goes, I get how if you're sold on FP+ at WDW you might not get the old system. But it's the only system I've ever used, well aside from there being no fast pass back in the day. Once you know all the rules for the traditional fast pass, it's really a matter of following those rules. An app that keeps up with the fast pass return times is very helpful, so you know when fast passes are going fast. They also can help you plan your day as you go, based on return times and when you can pull new fastpasses. Our first time using this system was in 2004 and we took to it quickly. The only thing that has changed since then is the enforced return times and frankly I don't see that making a huge impact, based on how we used fast passes.

Thanks for all the info! I think I'm going wth rough sketches/goals for each day and we'll see how it goes. The above is my main problem. We went to WDW in the legacy FP days and when they switched to FP+ I was not happy about it. However, we ended up loving FP+ and magicbands and now would never want to go back to the old way at WDW again. We were able to work the old system pretty well on our trip when it was there, and probably would have been termed "super-users" by some folks on this board. ;) It's just been a long time and was never complicated by the kink of park-hopping for us. But we'll figure it out and make the most of it the best way we can and have a blast doing so. I cannot wait.

I've got another question. Sorry for the double post! We're thinking about doing the WoC dessert party despite it being ridiculously expensive. Our first full day in the parks will be my birthday (woot!) so I was leaning toward scheduling it that night so I can justify it as a birthday splurge. It's a Tuesday. We usually do dessert parties at the end of our trips, though, as it feels like a nice finale. Would you do it at the beginning as a birthday celebration or at the end as an end-of-trip special event? I'm assuming the day of the week won't have any impact of the actual experience of the event.

Any other recommendations for celebrating a birthday at DL?

Okay, I believe I have everyone updated on the first post. If I've missed you, let me know. If you've changed your date or hotel and I didn't make the change, please drop me a note or reply to this post and I'll make sure to get you updated. The list is getting longer and some of you have been very enthusiastic about hotel jumping! :rotfl2:

we were fortunate to get Grand Californian Hotel from June 17th-24th. Booked right at 7 month window but just found this thread.

I've got another question. Sorry for the double post! We're thinking about doing the WoC dessert party despite it being ridiculously expensive. Our first full day in the parks will be my birthday (woot!) so I was leaning toward scheduling it that night so I can justify it as a birthday splurge. It's a Tuesday. We usually do dessert parties at the end of our trips, though, as it feels like a nice finale. Would you do it at the beginning as a birthday celebration or at the end as an end-of-trip special event? I'm assuming the day of the week won't have any impact of the actual experience of the event.

Any other recommendations for celebrating a birthday at DL?

I'm waffling on the dessert party at this point, too. Lots of people seem to like it and the access to WOC it provides, but dang I could spend nearly $300+ (for 4 of us) in other ways!

We were in WDW for my wife's birthday a few years ago and something I did was order her a birthday cake to be delivered to our table service restaurant. I forget the exact process, but I believe I called the reservation line and gave them my ADR # and they took care of the rest. I wanted it to be a surprise, so while I had my wife pick the restaurant, I made an excuse for my daughter and wife to wait outside when I checked in for our ADR. At the counter, I explained what I had requested and that I wanted it to be a surprise and they took care of the rest. The cake wasn't cheap, but not outrageous either. They did a real nice job of presenting it to my wife and it was a very nice, very delicious cake that was more than the 4 of us could eat after dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter