July Trip

scottygirl

Real Scottish Princess
We are going to DL in July for 2-3 days. We are flying into SNA the evening of July 4th and staying on Hilton Honors points at the Homewood Suites. We are then going to San Diego to visit friends for 3 days and driving PCH to San Francisco and flying out of SFO on the 18th. When should we get our rental car? Should we pick it up at the airport when we arrive or wait until when we need it to go to SD? Also, should we ditch the car when we get to SF? The hotel in SF has free parking, but I really don't see any need to have the car in the City.

Also, are we crazy to go to DL during the 4th of July week? Not that we have much of a choice. I have survived WDW during Easter and summer!!Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We will be there for 4th July and we are really looking forward to it. We're expecting it to be busy, but coming from England, we don't have anything like 4th July so it will be nice to experience.
We were in Orlando last 4th July and spent the day at Discovery Cove (which was fantastic) and went to Seaworld in the eveningand the fireworks were brilliant, shame about the huge thunderstorm.
Love Ella

scottygirl said:
Also, are we crazy to go to DL during the 4th of July week? Not that we have much of a choice. I have survived WDW during Easter and summer!!Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

your a brave one lol...but hey if you went to WDW in the summer Im sure you can handle it here ::yes::

Good luck with the "Disneyland in July" experience. If you can handle the crowds, then you'll still have a great time.

As far as the car goes, if your time in Anaheim is going to be "Disneyland Only", then you're probably OK without one. I've never used the ART, but it seems like it works fine for most folks. (Personally, I prefer the freedom of having a car. When we travel to DL, we also visit friends in LA and San Bernardino counties.)
On the other hand, my wife and I have visited SF several times and NEVER have rented a car there. We use the cable car, taxi, or other public transportation.

Vic

When we went to SF back in 2004 after visiting Anaheim, we had a rental car (as always) and ended up not using it ONCE whilst in SF. We were only there for three days but we normally drive quite a lot so I'd say that it's not essential in SF. We picked the car up from SFO and drove to the hotel (which also had free parking - the car park was a little scary though - underground and dark) and never even went back to it until the day we left. Everything is so close. Not saying you should, but it is possible to walk to pretty much everything. And when we wanted to shop we just hailed a cab. So I'd say no, you don't need one. Have no idea how easy it is to get to and from SFO without a car though so bear that in mind and check out your options. Glad we did have the car to get to and from the airport in comfort actually. Have a great trip!!

Ella1 said:
We will be there for 4th July and we are really looking forward to it. We're expecting it to be busy, but coming from England, we don't have anything like 4th July so it will be nice to experience.
We were in Orlando last 4th July and spent the day at Discovery Cove (which was fantastic) and went to Seaworld in the eveningand the fireworks were brilliant, shame about the huge thunderstorm.
Love Ella
OMG Ella we got stuck in a thunderstorm whilst at SeaWorld once too. It was HORRENDOUS!!!!! They were doing an entertainment show outside (there was a DJ so there was decks and they had live mics and things) and all of a sudden it just POURED down. Literally hundreds of us were huddled into a small eatery for an hour or two. Lightning was striking so it was too dangerous for us to even attempt to leave. And we were stuck at the back of the park so it wasn't just a quick sprint. Luckily we were already eating at the restaurant so we had seats but people were standing for hours and sitting on the floor and stuff. In the end little groups of us just decided to make a run for it. Pitch black with deafening noises and the rain and thunder and lightning was quite scary!!

What was your experience?

And their fireworks are amazing aren't they?! Realllly good.

We were on our way to watch Shamu and as we got over the bridge, we were told the show was full so we decided to stay that side of the bridge, watch the fireworks and then go and see the last Shamu show of the day.
We had only walked a few yards when it started lightning, huge zig-zags right across the sky (they do have amazing storms!!!...lol) then the thunder started so we just stood watching it and then it started to throw it down and I heard one of the staff say they wouldn't be doing the last Shamu show so we decided to go back over the bridge as they were just about to shut it for the fireworks (thats where they set them off from) so we rushed to the bridge and we were the last ones across it.
By now it was pouring down but it fely nice as we had been in the sun at Discovery Cove and their suncream isn't all that good and we were glowing a little bit, so it was cool.
Anyway we got back over and stood in the rain and then I said to Emily that there was a restaurant with a balcony, lets sneak into it, so we walked through and onto the balcony and it was really quiet in there so we positioned a couple of chairs ready for the fireworks and sat down. Other people must have seen us coz before we knew it, it was busy in there.
The thunder and lightning were spectacular and the rain was torrential, but they went ahead with the fireworks and they were amazing, lots of red, white and blue and it was worth getting soaked to watch them.
After they finished it was a mass exodus to get out and then we couldn't get a taxi, stood for 40 minutes for a taxi and people were just running out into the car park to grab the taxis as they came in, there was no organisation at all and I'm surprised nobody was hit by a car.
It was a great day with DC and Seaworld!!
Love Ella

Don't have a car in SF, im from there and you shouldn't drive for 2 reasons. 1. it really isn't that big of city, and 2. its gotta be on the hardest cities to drive in with the massive hills. public transportation is really hit and miss in the bay area, bart is the best bet. if possible don't drive to SFO, it blows; take bart to sfo if at all possible, its stops right at the airport. oh and bart is basically the bay area version of a subway.

Uuaww,

Are you suggesting taking BART (subway) from our hotel to the airport? I,m not sure if that will be doable with three kids and luggage. I can handle New York subways, so I'm sure I can handle San Francisco's BART!!

Ella1,

I am looking forward to our trip, I realize that it will be crowded and we need to get an early start and be patient. We have experienced those Florida thunderstorms also!!! We didn't let it "dampen" our spirits though! FYI, I am originally from Aberdeen, Scotland. I have a niece who lives in London.

TTFN

Wow Scotty girl, I was born in Glasgow and I have a nephew who lives in London...small world isn't it!!
have to say that those thunderstorms put us right off Orlando and we won't go back to there again, we love California and thats where we will keep going to (as long as I can afford it...lol)
Love Ella

the big difference is that bart doesn't go to anywhere near as many stops, check to see how far it is.

Uuaww said:
Don't have a car in SF, im from there and you shouldn't drive for 2 reasons. 1. it really isn't that big of city, and 2. its gotta be on the hardest cities to drive in with the massive hills. public transportation is really hit and miss in the bay area, bart is the best bet. if possible don't drive to SFO, it blows; take bart to sfo if at all possible, its stops right at the airport. oh and bart is basically the bay area version of a subway.

Actually I have to disagree with you...I think it looks worse than it really is...I live about 2 1/2 hours from SF and my daughter goes to Uni there...I drive her all the time...its bark is worse than its bite...the worst part of it is trying to find a hotel that doesnt charge for parking...that would be the only reason to deter someone from having a car I think

Ella1 said:
We were on our way to watch Shamu and as we got over the bridge, we were told the show was full so we decided to stay that side of the bridge, watch the fireworks and then go and see the last Shamu show of the day.
We had only walked a few yards when it started lightning, huge zig-zags right across the sky (they do have amazing storms!!!...lol) then the thunder started so we just stood watching it and then it started to throw it down and I heard one of the staff say they wouldn't be doing the last Shamu show so we decided to go back over the bridge as they were just about to shut it for the fireworks (thats where they set them off from) so we rushed to the bridge and we were the last ones across it.
By now it was pouring down but it fely nice as we had been in the sun at Discovery Cove and their suncream isn't all that good and we were glowing a little bit, so it was cool.
Anyway we got back over and stood in the rain and then I said to Emily that there was a restaurant with a balcony, lets sneak into it, so we walked through and onto the balcony and it was really quiet in there so we positioned a couple of chairs ready for the fireworks and sat down. Other people must have seen us coz before we knew it, it was busy in there.
The thunder and lightning were spectacular and the rain was torrential, but they went ahead with the fireworks and they were amazing, lots of red, white and blue and it was worth getting soaked to watch them.
After they finished it was a mass exodus to get out and then we couldn't get a taxi, stood for 40 minutes for a taxi and people were just running out into the car park to grab the taxis as they came in, there was no organisation at all and I'm surprised nobody was hit by a car.
It was a great day with DC and Seaworld!!
Love Ella
Wow!! Sounds like you got caught in a good one. If there's such a thing. :rotfl: Their storms are amazing. So theatrical. I love them. I remember on a few occasions too that we were driving and the rain was so hard that you could literally not see out the windows. We had to pull into a lot on I-Drive somewhere. We only found out exactly where we were after it had calmed down. Lol. That's how bad it was. We were in the Congo River Golf lot.

Sounds like it didn't dampen, not literally of course :rotfl2:, your day too much though. And I totally remember the parking lot situation. Can't say I knew what was happening with the taxi's when we were there last but just getting to the car with people running around like loons was bad enough. To me it always seemed like people just act differently depending on what park they're at. I mean it must be the same people at (normally - had some Chinese bloke run onto our seating row on the tram after leaving a park once - after we had waited for a good three trams to come and go - and taking his whole party, all like 20 of them, with him - weren't having none of that!!) each of the parks but they act great at Disney, OK at Universal and elsewhere they're just lanatics!! :confused3

Still can't believe you didn't like Orlando. I love it sooooooo much!! Planning on going back next year now. I'm just in the mood. Lol. :) It's going to be tough having visited both the original and what I class as the best but hey!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter