• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

John Wayne vs. Long Beach

ClaraOswald

DIS Veteran
In the 20 years I've been going to California, I've always only flown to and from John Wayne airport. We may have to reschedule our upcoming trip and Long Beach might have some better flight options.

I'm just wondering how the two airports compare.

Ease of getting in and out? Security lines? Travel time to/from the Disneyland resort area?

How about take off and landing at Long Beach....is it as drastic/abrupt as at SNA?

shorter security lines and an easier take off, close parking and less traffic, what not to like. Long Beach was not used much for a long time, but Southwest has put in a lot of flights, also American and Hawaiian

We were like you - always flew into SNA, but a friend convinced us to try Long Beach for our last trip, and we liked it so much that we're flying in to Long Beach for our next trip in April. It's so small that picking up bags was a breeze, not to mention how easy it was to get to the ride share pick up spot. Checking our bag and getting through security on the way back was so fast, we had plenty of time to grab a snack and relax before it was time to board. The only potential drawbacks: 1. baggage claim is outdoors, so in the rare cases of bad weather, it might be uncomfortable; 2. Not much wiggle room if flights are cancelled because there's fewer scheduled.

I love them both. SNA is my go-to but I saved over $100 flying into LGB last fall and am flying in & out of it in April because it was at least $100 cheaper.

They are both equally easy peasy small and close to the Parks...choose by best schedule and price vs which is "better" airport...

The differences pale in comparison to a SNA vs LAX or SNA vs ONT choice.

They are both equally easy peasy small and close to the Parks...choose by best schedule and price vs which is "better" airport...

The differences pale in comparison to a SNA vs LAX or SNA vs ONT choice.
What’s the SNA vs ONT comparison? We’re flying into ONT because it was cheaper from Atlanta than SNA.

I used Long Beach a few years ago when I was transitioning from Disneyland to Aulani and absolutely loved it. I dropped my elderly mom off with the bags near the entrance and was able to keep an eye on her while returning the car because it is so small. Also enjoyed the novelty of walking onto the tarmac to board, and Hawaiian Airlines was loading from both front and rear. SNA may be a little closer, but if price is similar I will choose LGB for my next trip.

What’s the SNA vs ONT comparison? We’re flying into ONT because it was cheaper from Atlanta than SNA.
Just a heck of a lot further from SNA...make sure you calculate extra ground transportation costs and time into your equation.

We love both airports. SNA is a smidge closer, which is nice when you are excited to go straight to the park (which we always do!). We recently flew into Long Beach and we were surprised that Southwest moved to the other terminal and that the airport was getting some renovations. The last time we flew into Long Beach was in February 2020!

Long Beach is the only one we fly into. It is so small and easy to get in and out of!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter