• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

jennifaerie's planning journal - 3/2 - Made it on the Maggie Sottero Website!

Thanks for the suggestion! We actually have a sphere too that's just hanging from our bay window. That's a great idea!

Congratulations! Love all the marbles- how sweet! The dresses are beautiful- go with the one that pulls at your heart strings!

HI!!!!!! I just wanted to say Congrats in the upcoming wedding!!!!! I love your engagement story!!!!!!!!!!! The gowns are beaitiful too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Jewelry

Ah! I was mid-post, and I must have closed the window! Oops!

keenercam and I are all about options! :laughing: So I ended up with four different sets of jewelry from eBay. Oops! I figured as long as they were all relatively cheap, it was okay to get more than one and just decide which to use when the dress comes in.

And I completely agree with lurkyloo-- Australia is your friend. They had lots of unusual jewelry. I probably would have bought more than the two sets I did from there if I wasn't trying to limit my decisions! :laughing:

We decided once I purchased the dress that our colors would be burgundy and gold (also my college colors, but not my intention!). It made sense. They were fall colors and matched.

I also knew I wanted something with flowers and leaves, as well as burgundy. Since there's only a little burgundy in the dress on the boddice, I thought if I wore anything white/crystal/clear, it would fade away in comparison with the sash. So I did some searches on bridal jewelry, flowers, leaves, and burgundy, and then I had to decide what I liked the best.

As you all know, pictures of jewelry stink. It's nothing like looking at it in person, watching it sparkle. My pictures are way below the stink-level. :lmao: So I warn you in advance. They're not nearly as beautiful as they are in person. I think I'm like a cat-- drawn to the sparkle!

Set One:
pinkset.jpg

One of the Australian sets. I thought, Wow, that's really pink, but I went for it because of the flowers. I like it, but it hangs a bit long.

Set Two:
floralset.jpg

This is another Australian set. It's very unusual. I'm not crazy about how low it falls, but I love the flowers, the leaves. It's very earthy (though the pink sticks out quite a bit!). What I really love about this set are some of the beads.
closeupoffloral.jpg

You can actually see pressed flowers in them.
closeupoffloral2.jpg

I didn't realize when I bought it. When I opened the box, I said, Now, THAT is cool.

Set Three:
littleflowers.jpg

This one is lovely. I love the flowers, but it's very light. The red stones are more ruby than they are garnet (so red more than burgundy). The middle piece comes down a bit low, so I'll definitely need to see the dress first.

Set Four:
choker.jpg

Right now, the fourth set is my favorite. I'm a big choker fan. It's also short, so it doesn't fall into my cleavage. But I may feel differently once I'm in a dress that actually shows a good portion of my shoulders/collarbone. It's also the darkest set.

So you can see I'm leaning toward four. We'll see. I'm keeping an open mind until the dress comes in. I offered the jewelry to my matron of honor and bridesmaid, but I think they think they're a bit too girly. :) I don't blame them. They are! :goodvibes That's why I like them! Girly and leafy and flowery!

Mmmm....peanut butter....and Australia.....

I think you should wear all four sets of jewelry, possibly simultaneously! (You could take them off individually and give them to people like at Mardi Gras) :rotfl: You could do jewelry costume changes between each event on your wedding day. People would be like "Wait...wasn't she...? Is something....?"

Okay, I totally love set 2! It is so unusual and beautiful! But I can see why set 4 is your favorite. I LOVE that you have so many options. Yes, you'll definitely have to see which works with the dress! :thumbsup2

The Comb
What to do with my hair (UGH)...

I knew a few things:
1. I didn't want a tiara or any sort of front hair piece.
2. I didn't want an updo, so no bun wrap type deal.
3. I needed something that matched with the gold/burgundy theme.
4. I wanted leaves. :love:
5. I didn't want glitter/sparkle.
6. I prefer silver, but should go with gold because of the dress.

I could not believe how enormously difficult it was to find something for my hair. I found sort-of pieces. Lots and lots of sort of pieces. But nothing that sealed the deal.

I visited so many websites, I lost track of what I liked, even though I bookmarked everything! At one point, I went and looked at all of my bookmarks and found that almost everything I had saved was a tiara. Oops. I loved what was *in* the tiara, but I didn't want a tiara.

I get migraines. Almost every day, actually. Having my hair up is a trigger, and I'm not really crazy about updos with my facial structure anyway.

So I decided I wanted a hair piece. But most pieces were for side hair, which is usually for updos. I know you can use them in downdos, but I'm not crazy about them.

So that narrowed it down to combs that would be stuffed somewhere in the back of my head.

In all my searches, I kept being drawn to Tigerlilly. I absolutely loved the designs, especially in the Midsummer Night's Dream collection.

Leaves!

Flowers!

Holy cow!

But I was scared off by the prices. I thought to commission, but I was even more scared of how much that would cost.

After another week or two of searching and finding nothing, my matron of honor told me to contact Tigerlilly; she would buy me a comb for my birthday.

This is when I met Mandy Greenan.

I cannot say enough about this woman (liken her to all of Lynn's A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++s!). She is sweet, creative, and she really *gets* you. You send her a picture of your dress, you tell her what you want to do with your hair, and you tell her a little about you, and she comes up with a masterful design.

I'm very critical, and I was scared about having someone make something for me. I told her I loved the leaves and flowers in her poppy hairpin but would like something a little larger to go in the back of my hair. I was worried that red/burgundy would fade out in my hair, since my hair is that color already, so I suggested white. It wasn't that I really wanted white, but I knew it would stick out.

A month later, she emailed me this design (with a couple others too):
03.jpg

I liked it, but I really wanted to see a pearl or two in there, and the white just didn't seem to be doing it for me.

I was terrified to tell her, but I knew I had to be honest.

She was *fantastic* about it. She agreed completely and went back to work.

A week or two later, I received an email from her. I have to tell you. I squealed. A lot. I shrieked. I was completely ecstatic with what she came up with (VERY VERY happy).

P3192828.JPG

:lovestruc :love: :love: :lovestruc

I love this piece. Love it love it love it.

The box it came in. :)
P3192827.JPG

And if you're curious about scale.
P3192830.JPG

Again, I can't say enough about Mandy Greenan. She is amazing. She drops everything she's doing to work on a project for you, and she gives you options. She will change it any which way for you.

The nicest part about it is I made a friend out of the deal (and will have a stellar comb in my hair!).

I think you should wear all four sets of jewelry, possibly simultaneously! (You could take them off individually and give them to people like at Mardi Gras) :rotfl: You could do jewelry costume changes between each event on your wedding day. People would be like "Wait...wasn't she...? Is something....?"
:rotfl2:
That'd be great, except my poor neck would be killing me! I get migraines from weight on my neck (and tight chokers). I don't know if I have enough piercing holes to put all the earrings in. Hmm... I think that's a great idea! Wow, we don't just get to catch a bouquet, we get jewelry too!

I did consider changing jewelry sets too. I may do that if I can't decide once the dress comes in. It's tempting.

Okay, I totally love set 2! It is so unusual and beautiful! But I can see why set 4 is your favorite. I LOVE that you have so many options. Yes, you'll definitely have to see which works with the dress! :thumbsup2

Set Two and Three definitely set my heart aflutter! I want to be able to wear them at some point, and it seems like only my wedding day will suffice (cruise, maybe?). I don't dress up much (the story of our lives!). I don't want to miss out. So I'll have to find something for them.

I like the 2nd set of jewelry the best...escpecially now with your comb !

You're right! I was thinking that too. Once the dress comes in, I'll have to take pictures with me in them, and have a poll! :laughing: God knows it'll be tough to make a decision on my own!

Stunning! Absolutely stunning!

:lovestruc Thank you so much! When I looked at the pictures this morning to attach to the post, I was like, WOW. I forgot how beautiful it was.

I just checked my messages at home, hoping to hear my glasses were in, and I found out my dress is in!

:dance3:

I am *very* happy. I never thought the day would come! Eep!

I'll be posting more soon... probably the invitations next.

Thanks for reading!

I like the jewlery set #4. The red seems darker and would match the burgandy in the dress better. I think the other sets have too much pink in them. I also LOVE your new comb. How are you going to put it in your hair?

You have to put it all together before you can come up with a final decission. Once you get the dress try it on with the four sets and see what you like best.

Linda

I like the jewlery set #4. The red seems darker and would match the burgandy in the dress better. I think the other sets have too much pink in them. I also LOVE your new comb. How are you going to put it in your hair?

You have to put it all together before you can come up with a final decission. Once you get the dress try it on with the four sets and see what you like best.

Linda

I think I like the fourth the best two. It fits my personality the best, it looks most like a choker, and it is definitely much darker, so it goes with the burgundy better.

The dress is in, so I'll be able to play with the jewelry soon, though my first fitting isn't until July! I was told women visit their dresses on a regular basis there, so maybe I'll have to go have a visitation soon! :rotfl:

Thank you for the comb love! I'm quite smitten with it. It'll be placed directly in the back of whatever is going to be in the back... so if I do a little braid, it'll be stuck right in the braid, or if I do a loose updo, it'll be in the middle of it. I think it'll be somewhere low, near my neck, though.

Makes me want to run to the shop now! :lovestruc

The Invitations

The most important piece of advice I can give is:

Get samples of your invitations before you order them!

I truly had my heart set on this set:
twolives.jpg

twolives2.jpg

I loved them.

I was all set to order them. Perfect price. Perfect wording, perfect picture. They were just... perfect. I had the text ready. But for some reason, I dawdled. I'm glad I did, because in the interim, I actually ordered a sample.

When I received the sample, I was surprised to find that the actual paper was almost as flimsy as printer/copy paper. It wasn't even nice as a greeting card.

Because I had this idea of how it was going to be, I was really disappointed.

I was very close to ordering them anyway, but I decided it would haunt me forever if I did, so I opted not to.

This meant another month of agonizing over what to get. If you go to invitationsbydawn, and then choose Seasonal/Autumn, you will see almost every invitation we considered. There were a few that Rob really liked, but I wasn't one hundred percent sure they were the ones.

We went to Hallmark, and we went through all their invitation books, and it was wonderful to be able to see them in person.

What I was looking for:
- Textured paper
- Something fall-themed
- Some sort of applique (you know me and applique!), so ribbons, sticks, thread, yarn, etc.
- Something burgundy/gold

I did get some of that when we chose our invitations. The set we chose ended up being one we saw at Hallmark, but ordered online to get it about $150 cheaper.

My pictures aren't all that great, so I have the generic set pictures too.

envelopeback.jpg

insideenvelopeback.jpg

The suspense is killing you, isn't it?!

;)

frontinvitations.jpg

They sent us a bunch of samples so we could see how to assemble everything. This one has been opened multiple times, so the tie is sideways (as you'll see in the generic pictures).

I actually thought for awhile that I should tie it that way, but I cleverly (because I'm so clever... or rather, I like to convince myself that it's clever) decided that it would match the sash on my dress if I tied it the other way.

genericoutside.jpg

genericinside.jpg

The inside of our invitation actually has different fonts. We wanted them to be more playful... less scripty, so they match the fonts that are on the front of our invitation.

You can't really see how shimmery the invitations are, so I took a picture of our RSVP cards with the flash.

rsvpcard.jpg

So I got the texture (sort of). I got the applique (the ribbon), and people will get to unwrap them like presents.

I didn't get the burgundy/gold, but the chocolate/gold and the leaves go perfectly with the theme.

I've always read your invitations are your first impression; they're how you tell the attendees the wedding is going to be like.

These are pretty swanky.

Our affair is not going to be swanky. :rotfl: Boy, are people going to be surprised! :rotfl:

But I did want to make a nice first impression. They're definitely classy. In the invitation, I added our wedding website. I know our registries are listed, and you're not supposed to give that information in the invitations, but I wanted people to see where we were getting married so they could determine whether or not to dress up. I want that to be a personal choice... even though no one is going to listen to that unconventional poopy! :lmao: But it's true!

We decided to break the theme when we got our thank you cards. Nope, we didn't get matching ones. Rob really loved these invitations, so we got the matching thank yous'.

lampshade.jpg

Yeah, they're wearing lampshades! It's very appropriate, as Rob and I are party animals. We sit on our couch every night and watch TiVo! Woo woo! :laughing: I honestly don't mind that the lives of the doctors at Seattle Grace are much more exciting than mine!

The Flowers
I have to say, the flowers are the easiest decision I had to make. I didn't want centerpieces. I didn't need anything to decorate the gazebo area where we're getting married. There are only twelve chairs being provided for those who may need to sit, so there are no aisles.

So all I really needed were bouquets and manflowers. :lmao:

We also knew where we wanted to get our flowers. Rob does a lot of traveling around neighboring towns for his job. He used to (men seem to forget about you after you get engaged! :laughing: ) get me flowers whenever he drove by this stand on the side of the road. The man told Rob that he had a store. It's a small outlet store where you can buy a dozen roses for under ten dollars, and their roses are gorgeous.

There was no question that I wanted he and his wife to do our flowers because they, in a way, brought us together.

We stopped by one night and asked if they did wedding flowers. The man's wife was happy to set this up for us; she really likes small weddings, so my specifications (that makes me sound so militant! :scared1: ) were perfect.

What I want:
- All rose bouquet, mostly burgundy roses with a few yellow-y (tinged with pink/gold) roses interspersed. They would be the gold component. As we discussed more, though, I started to change my mind and asked for anything from yellowy-gold to orange. I really have loved every bouquet I've seen with orange roses.

- For the bridal party girls, smaller bouquets with orangey/yellow roses with a few burgundy interspersed (so the opposite of mine).

- The moms would get corsages with one burgundy and one orangey/yellow-y rose.

- The men (whomever they are) would get an orange-y rose, and Rob would get a burgundy rose.

Very simple.

Something [looking] like this:
orangeroses.jpg

em_redb_1.jpg

hotchocolateroses.jpg

Oh, WOW! Your invitations are beautiful and I think the font is terrific! Your ideas for flowers sound lovely. I cant' wait to see pix of your bouquet!

For some reason I can only see some of your pictures at work. Noone else's exist here!

The invitations are GORGEOUS!! I'm glad you got a sample.

Nikki

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter