Jayme Closs-Found Alive

Sickens me to think of what that poor girl went through—and that’s after she most likely witnessesed her parents being murdered. How much horror can one little girl endure? I hope the media leaves her alone and that she has people in her life able to give her what she needs and to help her find the right professionals to work with her. There are reports of family who are ecstatic that she has been found, hopefully she is close to them and they are capable.

It makes me think about Elizabeth Smart's ordeal.

It's pretty local to us (90 miles) and they've interviewed aunts/uncles/grandparents pretty extensively over the last few months. They seem like a loving family who will care for her well. Plus, the entire community seems protective of her. I believe this will give her an excellent chance of living the rest of her life surrounded by love and caring...hopefully being able to move ahead despite a horrible tragedy.

i truly hope she is able to get the help she will likely need for years to come. i look at elizabeth smart's recovery process as the ideal exception vs. the norm. in our area shasta groene's recovery journey is an example of how even with a very supportive family/community & therapy the survivor guilt alone is horrifically hard to deal with (the similarities between the cases, with the exception of how each girl was located/rescued are striking).

Amazingly strong 13 year old! Hoping that the love of her extended family, friends, and community will help her through this sad, tragic ordeal!

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/...cle_4849be01-9136-543c-85ee-70bee4f999de.html

Stories as early as Oct. 15 and 17 had stated that she was not considered a suspect, and in fact was in danger.
Yes, but this happens often. They want real suspects to have their guard down. If she was involved, they're not going to say that while she's still out there - that gives her no motivation to seek help, if needed, or to come out of hiding if that was the case. While it is looking more like she was just a victim and not involved at all, at this point it's hard to guess as so little is known, but I wouldn't put much stock in what the police told the public while it was an ongoing case.

So far the news I have heard has said she was the target of the kidnapper and that was the motivation for the murders. But of course the story could evolve.

It's pretty local to us (90 miles) and they've interviewed aunts/uncles/grandparents pretty extensively over the last few months. They seem like a loving family who will care for her well. Plus, the entire community seems protective of her. I believe this will give her an excellent chance of living the rest of her life surrounded by love and caring...hopefully being able to move ahead despite a horrible tragedy.

Thank you for this. I am not local and just heard about Jayme’s story yesterday. I happened to be home today and saw some of the press conference this morning and it occurred to me that although fantastic that she is free, this young girl has a long road of healing ahead of her and will need lots of support and help in the months and years to come.

Jayme actually wasn't found. Jayme affected her own escape from the house she had been held in, spotted a woman walking a dog and ran up to her. They went to that woman's house, who called the police. She is strong & courageous.

That is an excellent point—hopefully something her support system can use as a starting point in helping her heal.

I saw the aunt posted a photo of the 2 of them on social media. It seems like it would be a good idea to give her some privacy at this time.

Last edited:
Needed to comment here as therapy for dealing with what I just read on CNN.

Horrible simply horrible. She was targeted and he tried 2 other times to kidnap her. What makes it worse for me is this was random. He simply observed her getting on the school bus. I have a daughter the same age. The mother hid with her in a bathroom. Had her in a bear hug. I would have done the same. Just can’t get this out if my mind.

They need to hang, shoot, zap or inject this guy. Some crimes you lose your right of humanity. He has IMO. Get him off this earth. Sure the victim can rest better knowing he’s wiped off this planet.

Needed to comment here as therapy for dealing with what I just read on CNN.

Horrible simply horrible. She was targeted and he tried 2 other times to kidnap her. What makes it worse for me is this was random. He simply observed her getting on the school bus. I have a daughter the same age. The mother hid with her in a bathroom. Had her in a bear hug. I would have done the same. Just can’t get this out if my mind.

They need to hang, shoot, zap or inject this guy. Some crimes you lose your right of humanity. He has IMO. Get him off this earth. Sure the victim can rest better knowing he’s wiped off this planet.
Not disagreeing. The sad part is that this story will likely produce copycats - others who think it might be a good idea - just as similar stories in the news of people abducting others and holding them captive probably inspired this one.

I can't wait to hear the backstory on how it came to be that this man (? and his brother) were living in a foreclosed-upon house abandoned by their family (and siphoning gas from neighbors). I read something saying that visitors to the home were instructed not to say anything about the girl or the girl would be hurt. WHAT?? Please tell me there weren't others that were party to this!

I read something saying that visitors to the home were instructed not to say anything about the girl or the girl would be hurt. WHAT?? Please tell me there weren't others that were party to this!

I understood it differently. He had her stay under a twin bed, with bins and weights around the edges - to keep her hidden and so he would know if she tried to get out. He told her if she tried to get out, or if anyone found out she was there, bad things would happen to her.

I understood it differently. He had her stay under a twin bed, with bins and weights around the edges - to keep her hidden and so he would know if she tried to get out. He told her if she tried to get out, or if anyone found out she was there, bad things would happen to her.
You are probably right, the wording is confusing:

"When friends of relatives visited Patterson, he 'made it clear that nobody was to know she was there or bad things would happen to her."

You are probably right, the wording is confusing:

"When friends of relatives visited Patterson, he 'made it clear that nobody was to know she was there or bad things would happen to her."

I took it the same way that sksjasams did: "I have people over. If you try to alert them in any way, I'll make you pay."

The full criminal complaint/court record is now available online to the public - I'm sure a Google search will find it. I came across it and read it last night, but don't have time at the moment to look for it again and post the link. It covers everything. And it's horrific. This was truly a random thing...the Closs family had nothing to do with this guy before he targeted them.

Last edited:
I watched the live feed of the initial court appearance of this monster yesterday.
What a piece of s---!

The judge read off the charges, shedding light upon some of the vile acts he committed. And he sat, without emotion, like a big dumb lump.
I hope someone "takes care of him" like they did to J. Dahmer in jail....

John Walsh was on GMA this morning and he said this guy is one of the worst he has ever encountered (and he has encountered many). He also advised Jayme and her family NOT to do any TV interviews or go on any shows like GMA. Her focus should be on healing and getting into therapy and putting her life back together. I still feel so bad for him and what he went through years ago with his own son going missing.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!