January or February?

my523

Mouseketeer
We have to reschedule our upcoming trip that we’ve had planned since March. 😢

**Option 1:
January 21-29

Cons: would likely not get dining since the 60 day mark has passed (was really wanting Akershus).. Frozen show is closed until January 27 and we have all girls who love Elsa.

**Option 2:
February 10-17

Cons: potentially heavier crowds bc of Presidents Day weekend at the end and a cheer competition that first weekend (although, that’s speculation with crowds…can anyone weigh in?)

Which one? Help me decide!

I think both should be decent as you are between holidays and for February you should be gone just before the bulk of the crowds come in for the long weekend. Sounds like Feb would give you more time to get the reservations you want and more open attractions.

I'd go with February. My friend goes the week before Presidents Day every year. Thursday/Friday it might start to get crowded. I don't think cheerleaders typically impact park levels, maybe arrival night they all go to a park. They do impact the hotel they stay at.

**Option 1:
January 21-29

Cons: would likely not get dining since the 60 day mark has passed (was really wanting Akershus).. Frozen show is closed until January 27 and we have all girls who love Elsa.

**Option 2:
February 10-17

Cons: potentially heavier crowds bc of Presidents Day weekend at the end and a cheer competition that first weekend (although, that’s speculation with crowds…can anyone weigh in?)

I’d check resort availability if you’re staying onsite & go with whichever one gets you the resort you want. I’m going the week you have listed in January. There is limited availability with the discounts out if you’re looking for those. Also, the Skyway is down for maintenance that week. In case that makes a difference for you.

Reactions: AJA

I think both should be decent as you are between holidays and for February you should be gone just before the bulk of the crowds come in for the long weekend. Sounds like Feb would give you more time to get the reservations you want and more open attractions.
Are there other things typically close on January? I know upcoming splash refurb, but if it’s closed in Jan, it will also be closed Feb, I’d assume.

**Option 1:
January 21-29

**Option 2:
February 10-17

I would vote for option 2. I wouldn't want to have girls that are disappointed during the trip because they didn't get much Elsa time.
I've not usually noticed that the cheer competitions make for heavier crowds in the park. But I would recommend avoiding the resort hotels where they are staying. That can get a little obnoxious. As someone else mentioned, you might start to see increased crowds on the 16th and 17th, but it shouldn't be horrible. If it's a concern, maybe schedule non-park stuff for those days.

Are there other things typically close on January? I know upcoming splash refurb, but if it’s closed in Jan, it will also be closed Feb, I’d assume.
Hmm I think splash usually just closes for a month and reopens mid Feb? At least I think I rode it during Princess last Feb?

I would vote for option 2. I wouldn't want to have girls that are disappointed during the trip because they didn't get much Elsa time.
I've not usually noticed that the cheer competitions make for heavier crowds in the park. But I would recommend avoiding the resort hotels where they are staying. That can get a little obnoxious. As someone else mentioned, you might start to see increased crowds on the 16th and 17th, but it shouldn't be horrible. If it's a concern, maybe schedule non-park stuff for those days.
Yeah, the unfortunate thing is I feel like for us, not going to the park on the 16th would be a wasted day. This is our first trip ever (4 young kids). We’d be leaving the 17th.
That’s good to hear about cheer comp crowds.

We normally don't visit in February- but last year we had last minute planning to do for our March wedding at WDW. We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside the weekend of Valentine's Day during the cheer competition event. NEVER AGAIN. If you're not staying at a hotel where they are- then it's a fine time go to as long as you leave before the holiday weekend. But we were woken up at 4 am with blaring music and girls shouting cheer routines-plus running around the hallways outside the doors. I was livid.

The princess marathon event at the end of February also makes that a busy time.

We normally don't visit in February- but last year we had last minute planning to do for our March wedding at WDW. We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside the weekend of Valentine's Day during the cheer competition event. NEVER AGAIN. If you're not staying at a hotel where they are- then it's a fine time go to as long as you leave before the holiday weekend. But we were woken up at 4 am with blaring music and girls shouting cheer routines-plus running around the hallways outside the doors. I was livid.

The princess marathon event at the end of February also makes that a busy time.
Oh gosh, I am so sorry!

Thankfully, we will be at GF, so I'm assuming no teams stay there. But, did they affect crowds in the parks?

Oh gosh, I am so sorry!

Thankfully, we will be at GF, so I'm assuming no teams stay there. But, did they affect crowds in the parks?
I didn't notice the parks being overly crowded. The weather in February is generally a little better than January too.

Hmm I think splash usually just closes for a month and reopens mid Feb? At least I think I rode it during Princess last Feb?
The next Splash scheduled shutdown may well be for the previously-announced retheming to Princess and the Frog. That should take 18 months or longer to complete.

The next Splash scheduled shutdown may well be for the previously-announced retheming to Princess and the Frog. That should take 18 months or longer to complete.
Which also just makes this rescheduling that much more awful. My kids have been talking about their strategy for where to sit on this ride for weeks. 😩

I think either is fine. Even if the girls can't see the show they can still meet Elsa (which I think is a bigger deal personally). January will be less crowded, and you may be able to get Akershus closer to your trip. If you go this route sign up for one of the reservation alerts to increase your odds. Even if you choose Feb there's no guarantee you'll get Akershus. It will also be noticeably more crowded during then as well with the holiday.

Which also just makes this rescheduling that much more awful. My kids have been talking about their strategy for where to sit on this ride for weeks. 😩
FWIW, Disney has now announced the Splash Mountain shutdown begins January 23.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter