January Crowds

Steelcityfanatic

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone!

My wife and I are planning to go to WDW in January 2021. We have been hearing “horror stories” of how jam packed the parks have been (one blog likened the crowds to spring break). I’m wondering if anyone has insights on if it truly is this bad and if you think it’s just a product of ROTR/is this a 2020 anomaly? Is it still fairly easy to get in a handful of rides with an early rope drop? We typically Rope drop, head out for a pool break, and come back to a park for the evening. Any info you feel would be helpful is certainly appreciated!

*Sidenote: We’re planning to go pretty much regardless of crowds, but it’s better to be prepared haha.

I'm not sure it's 100% crowds vs staffing reductions that can make it FEEL more crowded.

It also depends on when in January you're looking. With New Years being on a Friday, the northern schools (at least in this neck of the woods) will be back in session on the following monday, but I know other parts of the country will take that week after New Years as part of their break, the marathon events run Jan 6-10, 2021. So there might be some break/marathon overlap.

With New Years being on a Friday, the northern schools (at least in this neck of the woods) will be back in session on the following monday, but I know other parts of the country will take that week after New Years as part of their break, the marathon events run Jan 6-10, 2021. So there might be some break/marathon overlap.
And January is a HUGE month for Brazilians(Families as well as The 15s)-they are on their Summer Break.

I was just there from Jan 11-28, and until that bit of the last week, it was VERY crowded.
We usually go in January and this was the busiest I have ever seen it.

It's A Small World with 120 minute waits, Peoplemover with 45 minute waits. It was insane.

I was just there from Jan 11-28, and until that bit of the last week, it was VERY crowded.
We usually go in January and this was the busiest I have ever seen it.

It's A Small World with 120 minute waits, Peoplemover with 45 minute waits. It was insane.
Meriweather,
Thats really good to know. Were you able to manage crowds by going at the early/late in the day or was it pretty terrible all around? Thanks!

DH and I were just there the 22-31 and we didn't think it was horrible. We attack the parks the same way you do and never had a problem. There were a few days that the MK felt unbearable as we approached the time we normally head out, but even then it was only in certain areas. The weekends were noticeably busier than the weekdays, but that is normal.

One thing we love about January is the fluctuating weather. The day we got there it was in the 50s and windy so the parks were empty and it was amazing. Once the sun went down, the crowds started to thin out majorly and the evenings in most of the parks were incredibly pleasant. The only park that didn't really follow that rule was Epcot and that was due to FotA.

I wouldn't worry too much about the crowds. With the way you tour the parks I don't think you will run into too much of a problem. So long as you have a couple FP+ rides scheduled and don't mind stepping into a show in order to get a break from the crowds you should still have a lovely time! We use crowds to our advantage and try to do something we haven't before. This past trip that included taking a pretty much empty ride on the Liberty Bell!

Anecdotal evidence here for sure, but....
We used to regularly go in January, but our last Jan trip was in 2018, and that may very well be our last Jan trip for a while (until trends change). My personal feel was that in 2010-2012, Jan was phenomenal, but the crowds have steadily and significantly increased in the years since then. So much so, that on our Jan trip in 2018, with terrible weather (really cold, like highs in the 40', 50's and rainy) we felt the crowds were worse than our Oct Halloween trip. We were really surprised how bad the crowds were (long waits for rides and restaurants, fastpass availability was really poor, etc.). Our impressions, certainly could have been impacted by short staffing, in fact I think Jan 2018 is exactly when Touringplans started doing number research into lessened capacity during slower times. We still had a great time and the parks were definitely manageable, but the crowds were really surprising. Since, it's easier for us to go at other times, we've stopped scheduling for Jan. Just wanted to point out, I don't think 2020 is anomaly, Jan is crowded now.

DH and I were just there the 22-31 and we didn't think it was horrible. We attack the parks the same way you do and never had a problem. There were a few days that the MK felt unbearable as we approached the time we normally head out, but even then it was only in certain areas. The weekends were noticeably busier than the weekdays, but that is normal.

One thing we love about January is the fluctuating weather. The day we got there it was in the 50s and windy so the parks were empty and it was amazing. Once the sun went down, the crowds started to thin out majorly and the evenings in most of the parks were incredibly pleasant. The only park that didn't really follow that rule was Epcot and that was due to FotA.

I wouldn't worry too much about the crowds. With the way you tour the parks I don't think you will run into too much of a problem. So long as you have a couple FP+ rides scheduled and don't mind stepping into a show in order to get a break from the crowds you should still have a lovely time! We use crowds to our advantage and try to do something we haven't before. This past trip that included taking a pretty much empty ride on the Liberty Bell!
NikkiDP, you just made my day haha! I have been seeing so much bad publicity regarding crowds and it’s been a little discouraging. We went back in September and had an incredible time but I know those crowds will be the lowest we probably ever see. With that said, I’m willing to brave some crowds as long as there’s an escape! You’ve certainly given us a little more confidence. Thanks so much!

Hello everyone!

My wife and I are planning to go to WDW in January 2021. We have been hearing “horror stories” of how jam packed the parks have been (one blog likened the crowds to spring break). I’m wondering if anyone has insights on if it truly is this bad and if you think it’s just a product of ROTR/is this a 2020 anomaly? Is it still fairly easy to get in a handful of rides with an early rope drop? We typically Rope drop, head out for a pool break, and come back to a park for the evening. Any info you feel would be helpful is certainly appreciated!

*Sidenote: We’re planning to go pretty much regardless of crowds, but it’s better to be prepared haha.
We were there Jan 10 to 18 and crowds were definetly larger. Almost the same as when we were there in the summer of 2017. You can manage but need to be smart as the parks are open shorter hours.
MK - HM typically 50-70 min, POC 40-60 min, SM 80-120 min, Buzz 45-60
HS - TOT and RNRC 60 - 110, MFSR 70-90, SDD 79-110, TSMM 40-80
Epcot non factor as we only went one day and with all the construction it was less crowded
HS - KS 60-120, EE 50-110, FOP 120-180, Dino 40-60

So these are not your average slow time waits. We did not notice less staffing as most of the big rides were running all trains. I don't think it was all Star Wars related either. However, HS was a zoo early on. I would say most days were 6 with some up to an 8.

Meriweather,
Thats really good to know. Were you able to manage crowds by going at the early/late in the day or was it pretty terrible all around? Thanks!

We arrived at rope drop.....did what we could. I booked fast passes for later in the day, but found the lines where too long before those really started. We did things with low waits, like Muppets, etc and looked around.
The crowds by noon were pretty bad........expected at DHS.
CMs thought it was Galaxy's Edge, so we'll see.

We were there January 11-18. It was very crowded for January. I was there in early December, and it was very crowded for early December.

I think that’s the new normal. Decreased park hours, more paid special events, better economy, and “free” dining at times means there are no quiet slower times any more.

I've gone the last week of January for the past three years and it seems to only be getting busier. That being said, I'd rather walk around in crowds on a perfect 70-degree day in January than when it's surface of the sun hot out. The truth of the matter is it's always crowded. Go at a time that works best for you, plan well, and you'll have a great time.

NikkiDP, you just made my day haha! I have been seeing so much bad publicity regarding crowds and it’s been a little discouraging. We went back in September and had an incredible time but I know those crowds will be the lowest we probably ever see. With that said, I’m willing to brave some crowds as long as there’s an escape! You’ve certainly given us a little more confidence. Thanks so much!

You are most welcome! :-)

We were there Jany 18th to the 22nd. We have not been in January before this but it was definitely more crowded then I expected. Of course it was also MLK weekend so I am sure that effected it. That being said, Epcot was insanely crowded on MLK day. We chose to do MK on Tuesday thinking that it would be less crowded and it was almost as crazy as the year we went on Easter Sunday. We were there when it opened and were able walk on a few rides first think. After that we used our fast passes and I was able to get a 4th. So it was manageable and we still had a great time.

I know this is an old post but just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the Brazilian and other tour groups during January 2021 now. I am thinking they won't be here and I wonder if not having the tour groups will help the crowds.
I am looking at going the last week in January.

I think we may be in the sweet spot in January! Most likely international travel will still be limited and I’m hoping COVID regulations will be nearly a thing of the past. I’d roll with it😀

Don't know, but with limited international flights and strict travel restrictions to and from other countries (including Brazil), I doubt you'll be seeing any overseas tour groups for the rest of 2020 and into early 2021, especially if the virus comes back big during the winter months.

Gotta say you guys are making me worry a bit. Booked in January because looking at the attendance levels it isn't supposed to be bad the week we picked. Just gonna hope that with everything going on it will be ok. No matter what we will still have fun.

I know this is an old post but just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the Brazilian and other tour groups during January 2021 now. I am thinking they won't be here and I wonder if not having the tour groups will help the crowds.
I am looking at going the last week in January.
Too soon to say-much can happen in 6 months-although the odds definitely favor little to no travel from Brazil(Brazil is the main South American country in January) to WDW AT THIS TIME.

If so that will significantly decrease January crowds(in additon to Brazil 15s,HUGE numbers of Brazil families also come in January).

On the flip side,if by a minor miracle,travel from Brazil to WDW has returned to normal by January,expect HUGE numbers of 15s as it will be the normal amount of January 15s PLUS many July 15s who had their July trips cancelled.

Do the Brazil groups tend to come during the entire month of Jan. or just a window of time? We're considering the last week of Jan. for our trip. Had a trip many years ago and ran into the 15's. Something I'd really like to miss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter