January 2021 W.I.S.H. - New Year, New Goals

My Sister is coming to town next weekend for some pre-surgery tests and will be stopping by Sunday afternoon for a socially-distant visit... this has me motivated to do my spring cleaning!

Also, I haven't been sleeping well which I think is food related, so I'm going to make better food choices this week so I can get back to sound sleeping.

My Sister is coming to town next weekend for some pre-surgery tests and will be stopping by Sunday afternoon for a socially-distant visit... this has me motivated to do my spring cleaning!

Also, I haven't been sleeping well which I think is food related, so I'm going to make better food choices this week so I can get back to sound sleeping.
Having visitors is always a good motivator for cleaning. That’s nice that she’ll be able to stop by. I hope you two have a wonderful visit 😊

What went well this month-

Got out 5 days out of 7 for a walk.
Using my balance ball and hand weights every other day
Better meal planning-eating things we like that are also healthy options
Maintained my weight

Things to focus on these next four weeks-

I did not lose weight this month. I have 10lbs I need to lose to feel better. I need to watch portion sizes.
Drink more water.
Continue to get out for exercise at least 5 days a week.

I don’t know if this is health related, but I find myself wearing the same things over and over. I used to love dressing up for work and even after retiring for social occasions. Staying home so much I have gotten into a rut so I am going to make an effort to change things up-and I have a feeling some things might be a little snug, so that will be some motivation to stay on track!

Sorry I'm late this morning, yesterday I kept getting blocked by this privacy/security thing.

SOCIAL SATURDAY

What is your favorite thing in or about each season? What are you looking forward to in each season this year?

View attachment 551862

Winter -- I do not like winter. I hate the cold and having to drive in ice or snow. I do love Christmas and New Year's and Valentine's day. We have nothing planned. We are just continuing to do what we have been doing

Spring -- I love that I can drive without fear of sliding off the road. I love seeing the new flowers and the leaves on the trees. No plans as of now. Hoping the kids can get back into sports.

Summer -- I being outside in the warm weather, going to the zoo with the kids and my mom. I just love being able to be more active. No Plans here either but hope the kids can start practices for High School soccer. We may take a trip to a not so populated area but nothing has really been talked about. We will be waiting until we get vaccinated.

Fall -- I love fall. I love the pretty color of the leaves, being able to wear jeans and a sweatshirt. Also my anniversary is the beginning of October. Though I dread the it the closer we get to Winter. Hopefully kids will be playing soccer games and maybe I can talk DH in going away for the weekend for our anniversary to somewhere quiet but not far away.

SELF-CARE SUNDAY

View attachment 551961

What are you going to do for yourself today?

I did not do much. I am feeling better but not 100%. We took some food to DH's grandmother and then picked up 2 dwarf hamsters from the breeder for DD. Hers died last January and when she was ready to get a new one the pandemic hit so we waited. We thought we would be ok to get one now. Last time her was a regular size one so we only had the one. With the dwarf ones they are tiny and they like to cuddle with each other so I said she could get too. Both are females and she named them Majic and Buttercup. I am not sure why she used a "J" in magic instead of the "G". She has been so happy and telling us every 5 minutes what they are doing.

I did make dinner last night and then just rested. My ear pain came back yesterday but seems better today. I am really hoping that it stays gone. I have been taking it easy as I don't want to over do it yet. I did lose 3 pounds last week. So yay for that but really for the way I lost it. At least this week I am not sick to my stomach.

The 2 in the bucket are from shortly after we got them home. We use the tubs right now because these guys are super fast. I was holding one and it almost got loose. So right now we hold them over the tub so if they get out of our hands they don't get loose to where we can get them. The 2 facebooks post are from the breeder and are better pictures of them. You can see in the one that it has a red spot on it's belly. She marks them with a rodent marker to tell them apart. Blue for boys, red for girls. Then they have different spots too. One of DD has a line the other a dot. This is the only way we can tell them apart right now. These marks will go away once they shed their coats though. They have very different personalities right now. Once (Majic) is very out going and adventurous. Buttercup is more shy and reserved. Buttercup likes to sleep in the tubes in the cage and not let Majic go in them. They also squeak a lot. I am pretty sure it is Majic yelling at her sister to move. It have been very nice to DD so happy with them. She is such an animal lover. I am certain she will live on a farm with tons of animals when she gets older.

Hamster 1.jpgHamster 2.jpgHamster 3.jpgHamster 4.jpg

552317It’s Topic Tuesday!
Today’s topic is emotional eating! This has been a struggle for me this past year. And it can be a vicious cycle. But when you stop to think before you eat, you can see some ways to tell the difference between physical hunger and emotional hunger. Just the other night, I tried this after having a difficult parenting-teens moment. I determined that I was in fact hungry, but the craving for chocolate & ice cream was the emotion hunger. So I found a replacement...an apple with peanut butter. For me chocolate & peanut butter are a great combo! But by eating the peanut butter, I sort of tricked myself into thinking I had chocolate. I’ve also eaten a few (4-6) chocolate chips to subdue a feeling of emotional hunger.
So my question for everyone is how do you handle emotional hunger? Do you have any healthy foods that you substitute for less-healthy foods?

So my question for everyone is how do you handle emotional hunger? Do you have any healthy foods that you substitute for less-healthy foods?

I am not usually an emotional eater things need to be pretty bad for me to eat emotionally. This past year, especially the spring and summer were really hard on my. The spring was the pandemic and the anxiety that came with it. The summer was my Aunt getting sick and both my aunt and grandfather passing. Each time I went and bought my favorite candy and when it was gone I was done. I did eat lots of chips and salsa in the spring. I had a taste for them and didn't use much self control. I do eat a lot when I am bored or tired. I am trying to change this. I have been going to bed earlier or lately I have been some fruits or veggies instead.

Last night was a rough night. DD woke me up twice because of the hamsters. Buttercup has come out of her shell and is not very nice. She was pinning Majic on her back. DD read earlier in the day that this could be because their cage is too small. The cage we have is plenty big enough. 2 cages that we connected but the one has a petting zone that is small. This seemed to be where they were fighting so we closed that off. About and hour and a half later they were at it again. Thankfully we have 2 cages. We had to separate them. DH read this morning that if they start fighting you need to separate them because they will fight until one dies. So now we will have to keep them separated.

I definitely am an emotional eater-I eat to celebrate or eat when stressed!
I have stood in front of the refrigerator or pantry many times trying to talk myself out of the chips or ice cream. Sometimes a small dark chocolate works or a 100 calorie bag of popcorn for the salty cravings. A glass of sparkling water with lime because sometimes I am just thirsty.
I still struggle with this and could probably lose those 10lbs if I was more mindful of not giving in to a feeling that will eventually pass.

I am an emotional eater... stress and boredom are both triggers. And I do get cravings for specific things. At all times I am very texture driven in food choices, I like the combination of smooth, creamy, chewy, crunchy. This plays into emotional eating when I crave texture (usually crunch) and will continue to snack until that is satisfied. I do need to utilize substitutions more often.

We are having a couple more nice weather days, so different than what is happening in other areas of the country. So grateful, snippet of sun are so nourishing and good for the soul. I do need to go out for a walk at lunchtime, as there is rain hanging off the coast so it may be the last chance for a while.

Do you have any healthy foods that you substitute for less-healthy foods?

Almonds for chocolate. I read somewhere that they both provide magnesium, so if you are craving chocolate because you need that, almonds will work.

I am not usually an emotional eater...I do eat a lot when I am bored or tired.

That's me as well! The later I stay up, the more likely I am to snack.

...sometimes I am just thirsty.

I have to be mindful of this one, as I think I do sometimes feel "hungry" when I'm actually a little dehydrated.

I was hoping to lose 10 lbs. this month. I lost 7 so far. 10 may not have been a realistic goal. I'm happy with what I have lost, I just wish it would come off faster. I've been able to make the treadmill a daily routine that I actually don't mind even though I hate exercise.

I'm a big emotional eater. I have learned that it is best for me to have what I crave, but just a small amount. I have tried to satisfy emotional cravings with substitutes and eaten way more than I should only to still have the craving. For instance, if I want chocolate, I will have small serving of high quality dark chocolate. I log the calories. This way I don't feel deprived.

Not a fan of fall or winter, but spring is good and summer is fantastic!
I am an emotional/bored eater, but am trying to stop and think before I put anything in my mouth. That didn't work so well tonight when I wanted crunch so made popcorn! Or at lunch when again I wanted crunch and ate some corn chips. I have no idea what is with the need for crunchy food today!!

Woohoo - I’ve lost 7.5 pounds so far this month!
Woohoo - I’m sticking to my meal plan most of the time...and when I don’t, I still make decent choices.
Woohoo - I’ve met and exceeded my water intake goal almost every day this month (most days drinking about a gallon of water)!

WOO HOO!!!
I am overflowing with Woo Hoo's:

1. After waiting for 9 days for a rush delivery that I paid an extra $24 for, my friends finally got the Sympathy gift basket filled with Mrs. Field's goodies and a beautiful Hydrangea plant that came with a glass mosaic cross!
2. We got snow and ice yesterday/overnight, so I get to teach remotely from home!
3. I finished my report cards early!
4. It is a half-day for teaching with afternoon meetings...crossing my fingers that they will let us catch up with paperwork...and in my case, I have none!
5. The commendations for my December observation came back overwhelmingly positive!
6. It appears that yesterday's January observation went well!
7. I lost another pound bringing my total weight loss so far in January to 8 pounds!
8. I actually like walking on the treadmill more than I expected. Surprise!

"4. It is a half-day for teaching with afternoon meetings...crossing my fingers that they will let us catch up with paperwork...and in my case, I have none!"

Whelp...I got a little ahead off myself...wishful thinking...we DO have professional development this afternoon, and the best part is that it is a Social/Emotional Development PD which I'm not only on the advisory committee for, but it was MY IDEA to do the training today!!! OMG!!! I guess I can't skip out on this one lol.:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!