Jambo House pool closure??

Really hope they don’t mess with the basic design of the pool, although a zipper water slide would be a nice addition.

So not to contradict but they did give water park access to people staying at the Poly when the volcano pool was closed for refurbishment (during the DVC construction) and WL during the main pool closure in 2014. Of course these were CRO cash bookings not DVC. We stayed at WL and they actually were giving $50 credit per night or water park access for everyone who asked. I read about it on Disboards which is how I knew to ask and we got $200 room credit.

JMHO, all guests should’ve automatically received the credit/WP access vs just the squeaky wheel types.

I mentioned in my conversation to MS that based upon my memory, I remember one of the pool refurbishments, maybe it was the Poly Volcano Pool, that free water park admission was offered. MS rep wasn't familiar with any water park admission ever offered.:confused: If anyone knows which refurbishment pool that was, certainly appreciate it.:confused: I e mailed MS yesterday, waiting to see what their response is. ::yes::

Please post back! Currently have the AP that has the WP access, but it will expire before this planned trip. Haven’t heard boo re any upcoming tix promo:wizard:

I mentioned in my conversation to MS that based upon my memory, I remember one of the pool refurbishments, maybe it was the Poly Volcano Pool, that free water park admission was offered. MS rep wasn't familiar with any water park admission ever offered.:confused: If anyone knows which refurbishment pool that was, certainly appreciate it.:confused: I e mailed MS yesterday, waiting to see what their response is. ::yes::
It was the volcano pool refurbishment in 2014 When they was also construction going on to build the bungalows and convert the 3 longhouses to DVC
They also had a last minute pool refurbishment at WL on the feature pool (only the old hidden springs pool remained open) and when I was there I saw posts that others at WL were being offered access to the water parks or a $50 room credit per night so I stopped by the front desk to inquire. I got the $50 credit per night b/c we had a really short trip and only wanted to hit the pool for a short time each afternoon.

I wonder if they would have to offer this to both Jambo and Kidani guests since it is advertised that guests have access to both pools during their stay. Kidani guests would be inconvenienced too, simply due to the increased crowds at the Kidani pool so they should receive some compensation, if offered. I don’t know the numbers, but it would seem that there are a lot more rooms (and therefore guests) at AKL/V than Poly so compensating everyone would be very costly for Disney. Since the pool is a shared amenity, does any of the cost of the refurb come from member dues? If so, would any costs associated with “guest compensation” then also have to come from the dues as well?

Water Park access is always a nice perk, but for those of us who just want to take a mid-day break or unwind after a day at the parks, that's obviously not the best option. I'm also concerned with the hot tubs being available. My aunt, who's traveling with us, likes to soak her bad knees at the end of the day. There are 2 jacuzzis at Jambo, and I'm curious as to whether or not they plan on closing both of them during this time.

I'm trying to decide if I should send an email to MS about it since I worked so hard to get my early December reservation there. At this point, there are no other studios available that week and I love sitting out at the pool every day of a trip, weather permitting. But, in all honesty, what are they going to do for me. It is what is is!!! It just feels good to commiserate with 'my people'. puckerup:

I'm trying to decide if I should send an email to MS about it since I worked so hard to get my early December reservation there. At this point, there are no other studios available that week and I love sitting out at the pool every day of a trip, weather permitting. But, in all honesty, what are they going to do for me. It is what is is!!! It just feels good to commiserate with 'my people'. puckerup:
Ditto! We are going the third week of October...it's not like we can switch to something else at this point. There aren't any studios available and I'm not going to pay cash for a hotel somewhere. It's such a bummer, but what can you do? The refurbishment has to be done at some point and, yeah, it's going to effect people. This year, it's just going to be my turn. We will be there next year for the same week. We are planning on 5 days at Kidani and 3 days at BWV. Of course, with my luck, next year they will close the Kidani pool... they had the entire splash area closed in 2016 when I took my sister there with her kids who were little (4 and 8) so they missed out on it that time...so why not have them miss out on it again, right?

It is odd that they would close it in late summer/early fall when it's still pretty hot out. Would have made more sense to close it Dec - Feb or something IMO..

Considering I am there 12/1 - 12/8 you're not helping my case any. :P 'Winter" is so ambiguous as to when they plan to re-open. Smart move Disney! Takes all the pressure off them.

I might be golden for my trip . . . or I might be SOL.

Considering I am there 12/1 - 12/8 you're not helping my case any. :P 'Winter" is so ambiguous as to when they plan to re-open. Smart move Disney! Takes all the pressure off them.

I might be golden for my trip . . . or I might be SOL.

When I e-mailed them about this a week or so ago this is what I was told:

...The Uzima Springs Pool and Uzima Springs Pool Bar are scheduled to be closed for refurbishment September 4- December 4, 2018. Samawati Springs Pool and Maji Pool Bar at Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas- Kidani Village will be available during this time, and brief rides via shuttle transportation will be available to and from Jambo House...

I just decided to waitlist the 4 nights at KV instead. It can't hurt...maybe I'll get lucky:shamrock:. So now I have a waitlist for the HH category at OKW and a waitlist for a standard studio at KV. If either one of those come through, I will be ecstatic:laughing:. The one at OKW is for a Fri/Sat/Sun stay so I am not very optimistic, especially since it was set up at 8am on the day the 7-month window opened. The AKV one is 4 nights (Mon-Thur) and that one was set up today (about 150 days out!) so that one is really a pipe dream.....but since I have nothing to lose, I guess it's worth a shot, right? I have them both set up to run until 7 days out since there are no point differences between the categories I have confirmed and the categories I have waitlisted.

When I e-mailed them about this a week or so ago this is what I was told:

...The Uzima Springs Pool and Uzima Springs Pool Bar are scheduled to be closed for refurbishment September 4- December 4, 2018. Samawati Springs Pool and Maji Pool Bar at Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas- Kidani Village will be available during this time, and brief rides via shuttle transportation will be available to and from Jambo House...

DH pointed out that pool construction could be quite noisy if jackhammers, etc. for rooms facing the pool deck @ Jambo. Hadn’t thought of that but at least they will be curtailing the hours in the evening.

The disney email seems to be part & parcel of what UT posted on their website re closure

• Mid-August 2018 through Fall 2019: Room refurbishments will be taking place. It is possible that guests may see or hear construction, but noise should not be heard from guest rooms between dusk and 9:00 a.m.
  • September through Winter 2018: Uzima Springs Pool and Uzima Springs Pool Bar are scheduled to be closed for refurbishment. During this time, Samawati Springs Pool and Maji Pool Bar at Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village will be available. Brief rides via shuttle transportation will be provided to and from Jambo House. It is possible guests may hear or see construction, but noise should not be heard from guest rooms between dusk and 9:00 a.m

I wonder if they would have to offer this to both Jambo and Kidani guests since it is advertised that guests have access to both pools during their stay. Kidani guests would be inconvenienced too, simply due to the increased crowds at the Kidani pool so they should receive some compensation, if offered. I don’t know the numbers, but it would seem that there are a lot more rooms (and therefore guests) at AKL/V than Poly so compensating everyone would be very costly for Disney. Since the pool is a shared amenity, does any of the cost of the refurb come from member dues? If so, would any costs associated with “guest compensation” then also have to come from the dues as well?
Just a guess but the across the board policy at the Poly to give guests water park access with extra perks (direct transportation, free mug refills) Seems like it stemmed from the massive construction going on at the resort. Not only was the feature pool unavailable but the DVC construction at Tokelau was going on by the “quiet” pool, the bungalows were being built, as well as construction at the main building. Also at the time everyone there was a cash guest as there was no DVC component yet. At WL I’m not sure if they did provide any room credit or water park passes to DVC bookings. We were staying as cash customers in the main lodge and it was not officially announced that they were even doing this. I heard about it on the forum and got the credit by specifically inquiring about it but I’m sure many didn’t not receive the same deal. I would think dues help to pay for pool refurbishments since they are a shared amenity. I wouldn’t think that any room credit/water park access costs associated with guests booked through CRO would affect dues but I would guess any for DVC bookings would. So that’s why I could see CRO giving water park access or room credits more easily that DVC bookings.

DH pointed out that pool construction could be quite noisy if jackhammers, etc. for rooms facing the pool deck @ Jambo. Hadn’t thought of that but at least they will be curtailing the hours in the evening.

The disney email seems to be part & parcel of what UT posted on their website re closure

• Mid-August 2018 through Fall 2019: Room refurbishments will be taking place. It is possible that guests may see or hear construction, but noise should not be heard from guest rooms between dusk and 9:00 a.m.
  • September through Winter 2018: Uzima Springs Pool and Uzima Springs Pool Bar are scheduled to be closed for refurbishment. During this time, Samawati Springs Pool and Maji Pool Bar at Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village will be available. Brief rides via shuttle transportation will be provided to and from Jambo House. It is possible guests may hear or see construction, but noise should not be heard from guest rooms between dusk and 9:00 a.m

Super noisy. We were at VGC in January 2017 for the Lightside. Room booked 11 months in advance. Then the announcement in late fall I believe - pools and hot tubs closed. They were going to replace the entire pool deck and decided to start it just before the race and holiday weekend. :headache: We also had the only Dedicated 2BR with roll in shower booked and you can guess what it looked at. The pool. My niece and I were fascinated for a short time by the jackhammer attachment for the bobcat. After taking that in it was just noisy, noisy noisy from approx 8:30-9am until 5pm or so - even over the holiday weekend.

That was also the room where we had water dripping in off the wood window soffit. That one was bizarre and we discovered it when we were hit with drops while standing next to the window watching the bobcat jackhammer. This was not the top floor either. Thankfully it stopped because the 3 maintenance men who came were as puzzled as we were. It was traveling from somewhere unknown.

Last edited:
J So that’s why I could see CRO giving water park access or room credits more easily that DVC bookings.
This is what just adds salt in the wound...I am a DVC member so I had to book my standard (pool view) room 11-months in advance so there is no way I could possibly know that there would be construction. Then, by the time construction is announced, there is no DVC availability anywhere else, so, unlike cash guests, we don't even have the opportunity to relocate. So now, we are "stuck" in a room that will overlook the construction zone. Then, we find out that those who booked comparable (or lesser rooms) are being given free waterpark passes, savanna view rooms at Kidani Village or even upgraded rooms at other hotels, while we are offered absolutely nothing. I know, I know....it's a timeshare and I am getting exactly what I paid for, but that doesn't make it feel any better. I understand that it is the reality of the situation, but it is still a bitter pill to swallow. Luckily, we are fairly easygoing and honestly, even though it ticks me off, I will get over it and the vacation will still be awesome for what it is and not crappy for what it isn't:flower3:.

This is what just adds salt in the wound...I am a DVC member so I had to book my standard (pool view) room 11-months in advance so there is no way I could possibly know that there would be construction. Then, by the time construction is announced, there is no DVC availability anywhere else, so, unlike cash guests, we don't even have the opportunity to relocate. So now, we are "stuck" in a room that will overlook the construction zone. Then, we find out that those who booked comparable (or lesser rooms) are being given free waterpark passes, savanna view rooms at Kidani Village or even upgraded rooms at other hotels, while we are offered absolutely nothing. I know, I know....it's a timeshare and I am getting exactly what I paid for, but that doesn't make it feel any better. I understand that it is the reality of the situation, but it is still a bitter pill to swallow. Luckily, we are fairly easygoing and honestly, even though it ticks me off, I will get over it and the vacation will still be awesome for what it is and not crappy for what it isn't:flower3:.
Oh I completely feel your pain. We are DVC members (BLT and BWV) and I completely understand how hard it is to book (we like the standard BWV studios which disappear within seconds of 8 am 11 months out in the fall). It would be nice to have more notice about pool closures but I wonder if Disney actually has the dates 100% set 11 months out when we need to book our rooms. Getting treated like 2nd class citizens doesn’t feel so warm and fuzzy either. I’m not sure what the solution is though. Clearly the hotels pay the costs associated with guest satisfaction as a cost of doing business. With DVC villas I’d assume the owners absorb the cost of guest satisfaction not Disney. A $50 room credit per night (just using my example from WL) for every room there for 3 months would add up quickly if they included Jambo house and Kidani. Perhaps they should/could be doing more for Jambo house DVC bookings (especially those with standard view) but as far as Kidani goes I think it’s probably too cost prohibitive for them to offer much.

Oh I completely feel your pain. We are DVC members (BLT and BWV) and I completely understand how hard it is to book (we like the standard BWV studios which disappear within seconds of 8 am 11 months out in the fall). It would be nice to have more notice about pool closures but I wonder if Disney actually has the dates 100% set 11 months out when we need to book our rooms. Getting treated like 2nd class citizens doesn’t feel so warm and fuzzy either. I’m not sure what the solution is though. Clearly the hotels pay the costs associated with guest satisfaction as a cost of doing business. With DVC villas I’d assume the owners absorb the cost of guest satisfaction not Disney. A $50 room credit per night (just using my example from WL) for every room there for 3 months would add up quickly if they included Jambo house and Kidani. Perhaps they should/could be doing more for Jambo house DVC bookings (especially those with standard view) but as far as Kidani goes I think it’s probably too cost prohibitive for them to offer much.

In this instance if nothing is offered ahead of time it's probably just waiting to see what the situation is like at the Kidani pool. It's not completely convenient for Jambo guests but it's a similar option to what other locations have been offered during pool refurbs (ie, WL pool was down and guests could go to either CR or FW I believe. Or Poly pool down and guests could go to GF.) Then if there's issues with getting chairs that would be the time to speak about getting some sort of compensation. Nothing was offered at VGC during it's pool closure other than access to the DL pool and they were running shuttles to get guests over who wished to use it.

In this instance if nothing is offered ahead of time it's probably just waiting to see what the situation is like at the Kidani pool. It's not completely convenient for Jambo guests but it's a similar option to what other locations have been offered during pool refurbs (ie, WL pool was down and guests could go to either CR or FW I believe. Or Poly pool down and guests could go to GF.) Then if there's issues with getting chairs that would be the time to speak about getting some sort of compensation. Nothing was offered at VGC during it's pool closure other than access to the DL pool and they were running shuttles to get guests over who wished to use it.

It was rather disturbing to read your above account. Curious, did you receive any sort of compensation?

Definitely Jambo guests will be inconvenienced, between noise & construction dust, balconies would be out for me

However, Kidani pool is way too small to accommodate the overflow of another resort.

At risk of beating that dead horse, it doubly irritates me that any consideration is something guests typically need to request. IMO it should be automatically extended to all guests.

It was rather disturbing to read your above account. Curious, did you receive any sort of compensation?

Definitely Jambo guests will be inconvenienced, between noise & construction dust, balconies would be out for me

However, Kidani pool is way too small to accommodate the overflow of another resort.

At risk of beating that dead horse, it doubly irritates me that any consideration is something guests typically need to request. IMO it should be automatically extended to all guests.

No, there was no compensation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter