I've Been Vaccinated (No Politics Please)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My oldest daughter (30) is in phase 2B (predisposed health condition) in Alberta, so she received her first dose of Pfizer last week, and can book her second dose after July 25. Alberta Health is currently booking/vaccinating group 2C (health care workers/first responders). DH and I are both in 2D (53 & 52), and should hopefully be able to book in the next couple of weeks.

It was such a relief when DD got hers, I almost cried.

My oldest daughter (30) is in phase 2B (predisposed health condition) in Alberta, so she received her first dose of Pfizer last week, and can book her second dose after July 25. Alberta Health is currently booking/vaccinating group 2C (health care workers/first responders). DH and I are both in 2D (53 & 52), and should hopefully be able to book in the next couple of weeks.

And the guilt here is great. Both my kids (20's) have risk conditions. DS is worst as he is T1D (diabetic). DW and I are both vaccinated before them but would have much preferred to have them vaccinated first. OTOH, by me vaccinating I am reducing risk overall, and perhaps we can see each other again in person again soon - I generally only see them on our weekly Google Meets call. When the government calls your number you step up!

A big yeah to the guilt. And I haven’t had my first vaccine yet. I live in a city, my closest sibling and most of her family live in a small town in the same province. She and her DH both had vaccine appointments, each of them had to drive to a different small city for their vaccines. So weird. A small nearby town will have a temporary vaccine site, so DSis and DBil opted to get their shots together at the local site. All three of us oldies are scheduled for our first shot before May 1. Grant us all strength.

My friend just her vaccination today and she got the pfizzer. She was scheduled for 6pm and they called her at 10am and asked if she could come in earlier so now her and her neighbour who drove her there are both scheduled for the same followup date and time.

Does your sister work in the health care field? Those over 50 who are in home care, medicine etc qualify. I hope the vaccines hold out long enough for her appointment. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Our premier is speaking at 3:30 and I'm afraid we are in for big changes in the coming weeks. Time will tell.

Does your sister work in the health care field? Those over 50 who are in home care, medicine etc qualify. I hope the vaccines hold out long enough for her appointment. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Our premier is speaking at 3:30 and I'm afraid we are in for big changes in the coming weeks. Time will tell.

No, she's an ADM with the government. According to her text: "Guess who is booked for her vaccine? Clearly advantages for being old and living in a ghetto, lol"

I've never been so frustrated to be 49!!! Lol, who knew the big 5-0 had so many perks?

Unfortunately, for people who are 50 sometime this year who don't have any health issues or not in high risk areas, are in the last stages to get the vaccine. So not all of those who are or going to be 50 this year has that perk. But I guess I should feel blessed that we're not in the high risk phase.

Plus, it's disappointing to not be able to celebrate a 50th birthday....but getting through this pandemic would be worth it.

My sister in law has only had one vaccine but was redeployed to the ICU of our major health centre and will be working there for the foreseeable future. I’m nervous for her . She’s 26 and a great nurse. I’m proud of her.

Many family doctors and community doctors and frontline nurses are asked to see COVID patients. However, they are still not allowed to have second dose to become fully vaccinated. Instead, they are forced to wait 4 months but still sent to the front line like your sister. I think this priority system is wrong for the front line healthcare workers.

I just checked the AHS website and the estimated date for eligibility for those born between '57 and '71 is May, but I suppose it will depend on the availability of Pfizer or Moderna (delivery of which has just been slashed again until the end of the 2nd quarter). Ironic that we are just swimming in AstraZeneca and the uptake is very, very small. They've just opened a number of mass-vaccination sites across the province where anyone between the ages of 55 - 64 can walk in off the street and get AZ. They apparently have capacity to vaccinate thousands of people per day yet according to the news, less than 250 people attended the Calgary clinic yesterday.

But good gravy, what are people to do? The press is so, so SO not helping. Today on Global the news led with Hinshaw's latest statements and her adamant pleas that people accept the AZ vaccine. There were then several other credible medical professionals weighing in who agreed. The very next news segment was a report of a death in Australia caused by blood clots post-AZ vaccination. There have apparently been 2 cases reported out of over 700,000 doses of AZ given there. Yet these fears overshadow the reality and the vaccine sits unused, since every caution is being taken in not giving it to any age group at higher risk of complications. :(

Anyone know if cancer patients are being given a priority for a second dose anywhere? (in Canada)

In Ontario, at least where I am they are. I know someone who is scheduled for the 21 days (I think it’s 21 days). That’s because they are currently receiving treatment I believe.

I just checked the AHS website and the estimated date for eligibility for those born between '57 and '71 is May, but I suppose it will depend on the availability of Pfizer or Moderna (delivery of which has just been slashed again until the end of the 2nd quarter). Ironic that we are just swimming in AstraZeneca and the uptake is very, very small. They've just opened a number of mass-vaccination sites across the province where anyone between the ages of 55 - 64 can walk in off the street and get AZ. They apparently have capacity to vaccinate thousands of people per day yet according to the news, less than 250 people attended the Calgary clinic yesterday.

But good gravy, what are people to do? The press is so, so SO not helping. Today on Global the news led with Hinshaw's latest statements and her adamant pleas that people accept the AZ vaccine. There were then several other credible medical professionals weighing in who agreed. The very next news segment was a report of a death in Australia caused by blood clots post-AZ vaccination. There have apparently been 2 cases reported out of over 700,000 doses of AZ given there. Yet these fears overshadow the reality and the vaccine sits unused, since every caution is being taken in not giving it to any age group at higher risk of complications. :(

Did you see the political cartoon in The Toronto Sun a few weeks ago?

It was of someone administering a shot a saying "Who Wants Clots?"

https://torontosun.com/opinion/cartoons/sue-dewar-cartoon-march-31-2021

So irresponsible.

Did you see the political cartoon in The Toronto Sun a few weeks ago?

It was of someone administering a shot a saying "Who Wants Clots?"

https://torontosun.com/opinion/cartoons/sue-dewar-cartoon-march-31-2021

So irresponsible.
It’s truly a conundrum. Personally, I lean towards having wanted Pfizer or Moderna based on efficacy, but not due to any fear whatsoever about medical complications. I’m getting AZ on Monday since it is possible that my age group (55 - 64) will never be offered anything else, especially now that Moderna has announced they won’t be supplying us properly again until July. (SMH on the whole vaccine supply issue). :sad2:

It’s truly a conundrum. Personally, I lean towards having wanted Pfizer or Moderna based on efficacy, but not due to any fear whatsoever about medical complications. I’m getting AZ on Monday since it is possible that my age group (55 - 64) will never be offered anything else, especially now that Moderna has announced they won’t be supplying us properly again until July. (SMH on the whole vaccine supply issue). :sad2:
It's scary with the supply. At least with AZ they seem to have lots, and more Pfizer on the way. We got Moderna and I do wonder what will happen to our second dose (due end of July).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter