its official... world of color is replacing illuminations

How is Avatarland going to be an E-Ticket? It doesn't even pique my interest in the least bit. In fact it makes me less likely to visit AK.

A ride that actually makes you want to NOT go to the rest of the theme park? :confused3

I don't know how anyone can dismiss anything out of hand that way. I have a friend whose whole family HATES on Harry Potter something fierce, and they LOVED the IoA stuff. So, how about waiting until you actually know what it is before declaring your hatred.

Regardless I think maybe you missed the point, I wasn't trying to detemine whether anyone LIKES the idea or not. I was trying to illustrate that the base reasoning behind it - being financial - has to be sound before you can assess the likelyhood of it actually happening as a method for assessing a rumor.

I'll give one more example: The re-do of the Imagination Pavillion. This has been and off-and-on rumor for years. It hasn't proven to be true. However, the logic behind the rumor: A moderate investment that would take a partially empty pavilion that is sparsely attended and allow it to instead attract attendance has sound logic, and therefore I would give the rumor more credence if I hear it.

But regardless of the theme, if you put a good attraction there, people will go to it.

This.

Michael623 said:
How could you title your post "official" when it is a clearly unsubstantiated rumor? With only 8 posts under your belt your going to develop a reputation very quickly.

Just to try to suck you in...

It worked :)

Legit the people on here attacking the OP have no lives.

Listen people this is a public forum to talk about Disney in every aspect and share information, rumors, fun facts, ideas and so on.

The fact that you are legit getting nasty over the word "official" y'all are strung way to tight.

Lay off the poster and enjoy the forum like the rest of us. Comment on anything you want but you do not have to be rude in the process.

So what she/he said its official via a cast member. The poster was just making the rumor known hence the rumor forum!

DISlike!
I think their heart was in the right place. Just say it's a rumor. I have a feeling the poster didn't know that CM's are often wrong or give misleading information. So I give them a pass.

As for your post, saying people have no lives is not the nicest thing to say either. So I guess in your mind, it is bad to criticize someone for posted a misleading post, but saying forum members have no lives is okay. That is weird to me.

I hope the poster learns from this, and becomes a great contributor to this site and I hope you do as well.
Peace.

that crap was 7 million dollars??????:eek::eek::eek:

Ok, I work in the Pier Shops at Caesars (at least until my CP starts in 2 weeks), and let me tell you, that water show is not worth the money that was put into it. I watch it every day on break and it's complete crap and most of the time there are 7 or 8 lights that are out.

Wow I feel bad for the original poster!! Last time I checked this is an open forum for people who love Disney to be able to feel welcome amongst other people who love Disney. I'm sure intentions were good, and I'm sure they will now be leery to post anything in the future. I recommended Dis Forums to my sister, and she just joined yesterday. After seeing the reactions to this post she is now hesitant to ever post anything on here. She has stated that she thought this forum was supposed to be "Magical". :confused3

Agree 100%

The 7 million dollar figure came from their website. Maybe it's exaggerated to make the show seem more impressive. Maybe it includes a figure for the shows share of the malls construction costs, per square foot. Maybe that kind of fountain and light show is more expensive then we think.

I've seen the show. It's certainly worth what I spent to see it. It's an OK way to take a few minute break. Have a cup of coffee. I don't think it's as bad as some of the PP think but it's certainly not as impressive as the mall claims. Is it worth a special trip. NOT. Is it worth walking over if you're already in the mall. YES, but maybe only once.

There is no way re-creating World of Colour in Florida would cost anywhere near 100 million dollars..... The original in Cali may have cost that much, but getting it going in Florida would be a fraction of the original cost, especially if it was almost an exact replica.

minniegirl19 said:
if I'm wrong i apologize I'm just saying what someone told me... to me i don't think it seems likely either but who knows with disney we will see

I think this and all rumors can be evaluated on a couple by a couple of simple questions:

1. Rate the sources chances of being correct
2. Does this rumor help Disney maintain revenue/profit?
3. Does this rumor allow for Disney to make new revenues/profits?

In this case - the answers are:
1. Bad to terrible
2. No
3. No

...and there you go

Agreed it would be too expensive for Disney springs considering the lack of admission. However, I could see them putting some type of evening show as draw to the area, to help drive commerce.

Hmm...they _could_ do this, if they wanted to make DTD/DS a bigger draw to the locals/offsite visitors, with the hope of boosting traffic/revenue at the surrounding shops and restaurants. I'm sure none of the tenants would say no...

I know they could put in an eclectic mix of nightclubs and charge admission to the area maybe include it on the WPF&M. Then every night they would celebrate NYE with fireworks.

Just off the top of my head here is a list, feel free to add to it:

• A 1970s and 1980s themed dance club.
  • A 1930s-style British explorers' club that features a staff of flamboyant characters portrayed by improv actors. (on second thought forget this one never going to be popular)
  • A hip-hop and R&B dance club
  • A club featuring live country music bands.
  • An outdoor dance party featuring DJs and cast members known as the Party Team.
  • A nightclub which featuring an improv comedy troupe. (same situation as the explorers' club theme, never gona work out)
  • A techno-trance multi-story dance club.
  • A dance club with Top 40 music videos.
  • A country music dance club and BBQ restaurant.
  • A club featuring live jazz musicians.
  • A rock-themed dance club which features live bands.

Can't miss. :thumbsup2:dance3:

A 1930s-style British explorers' club that features a staff of flamboyant characters portrayed by improv actors. (on second thought forget this one never going to be popular)

You wound me, sir.

Kungaloosh!

There is no way re-creating World of Colour in Florida would cost anywhere near 100 million dollars..... The original in Cali may have cost that much, but getting it going in Florida would be a fraction of the original cost, especially if it was almost an exact replica.

It depends. How much of the cost was attributed to research and development vs. implementation and capital costs? Has equipment developed become commodity items that can now be purchased on the market, or will everything still have to be made custom?

CA already had a controlled environment pool to build it in, so they didn't have that expense. How much would it cost to build a new one at WDW? How much to retrofit Fantasmic?

Overall, it may be a fraction, but I'm betting its probably a big fraction.

Speaking as an engineer, I can tell you it very well could cost $100 million. (and I had said $50-$100 million)

Yes, the design cost would be reduced somewhat, but construction costs tend to outweigh design costs by at least 5:1 if not 10:1. Let's say WoC cost $100 million to design and construct, and to be really generous 30 % of that was design. The re-design costs might be cut in half, as there's no way to replicate it 100% exactly. (This isn't soarin' - and even that they had to change the building design.) So that's still $15 million to redesign and $70 million to build it again, so $85 million instead of $100 million. A discount but no way a bargain.

Drfate102 said:
I don't think you could put a water show there at DTD. It is open fresh water in Flordia. Small gator or snake gets vaulted 60 to 70 feet in the air.

Would sure take that show to another level! On the OP, only real comment is that if truly new to the boards, maybe he or she doesn't know how to edit the subject? OP-Edit your first post and then click 'Go advanced' and you'll see the title box where you can adjust the title. I've been here a while and the title definitely caught my eye. I quickly realized it was not an official announcement though. Have a magical day all! Going to see our symphony today and it's all Disney music being featured.

My personal opinion is Fantasmic is good,World of Color is better but Illuminations is by far the best show. ( I love the flames as it is not something yo see often in a show.)

Agree. The setting isn't bad since space could be reserved along the water for viewing. But why would Disney ever want to deal with the cost and headaches (traffic, crowd control, etc.) involved with putting-on such a show each night?

It may draw some extra shoppers to Disney Springs but with most of the merchants and restauranteurs being non-Disney entities, there's just no reason for Disney to absorb those added costs.

Also Disney Springs presents the same problems with filtration. The waterway adjacent to DS runs all the way to Old Key West and POFQ. It would be a monumental undertaking to filter that water such that dirt, grime and other pollutants would not harm the equipment.

Not to mention that this lake is part of a larger Reedy Creek flood control system, and cannot be isolated and chlorinated.

I don't see any reason to try and draw shoppers to one of the most crowded shopping venues I have ever been to. I have visited Downtown Disney in every month of the year and have found it incredibly crowded on each visit. In my opinion the expansion of Downtown Disney into Disney Springs is not so much to increase crowds as to take advantage of existing crowds by giving them more opportunity to spend. Of course Disney Springs will increase traffic, but I don't think Downtown Disney has ever suffered too much from attendance. Why spend millions on a water show when people will show up anyway?

if I'm wrong i apologize I'm just saying what someone told me... to me i don't think it seems likely either but who knows with disney we will see

You used the words "it's official" when in fact it's not official! I'll believe this when I see it.

I always find it funny when people post that they should get rid of a show or attraction because it is dated.

For someone who visits WDW yearly it is an old show that has been going on since before the millenium. For someone who is making their first visit to EPCOT and sees the syncronized fireworks and music with fireballs it is quite impressive.

I saw Illuminations during the Millenium celebration. Now after seeing it many times I don't see it the same way but I still appreciate the show. My family is less impressed than I am.

I think that they could make changes to improve or modernize the show but as PP mentioned, World of Color would not fit right in the World Showcase area.

I agree. For those of us that frequent WDW it. Seems old but not to those that have never been. I have seen it dozens of times and still enjoy it. I also still LOVE Fantasmic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter