It's official that Starbucks is coming to DCA

What's is Starbucks? :confused3

It's a place where all the hipsters go to buy an overpriced cup of coffee so that they can feel superrior to people who make their own, when in reality they don't realize that everyone is lauging at their stupidity! :)

It's a place where all the hipsters go to buy an overpriced cup of coffee so that they can feel superrior to people who make their own, when in reality they don't realize that everyone is lauging at their stupidity! :)

Umm, okay...bitter much?

Thanks, this gave me a laugh today. :rotfl2:

Crazy Duck if you're going to call people stupid at least spell laughing correctly

Starbucks is the pop-culture icon that experiences a sudden burst of mega-fame only to be followed by the crash of an inevitable backlash. The backlash has nothing to do with the icon's talents/merits or lack thereof but is a cultural curiosity. We tend to adore and then scorn those who find themselves at the pinnacle of adulation.

“I, for one, welcome our new overpriced-coffee overlords.” :earsboy:

Not sure where you live but in Seattle you'll never find any of the hipsters in Starbucks. They wouldn't be caught dead in there. You have to give Starbucks credit though for increasing the quality of coffee available. No one now thinks that Nescafe and Folgers make good coffee.

I admit I never understood why its 'cool' to be in one coffee shop over another? And I went to UCSC where we had tons of local coffee shops for college kids to study in and the 'hip' joints. But coffee has always just been coffee to me. As long as I can go and drink in a place thats relaxing, warm and I wont get stabbed in I'm good anywhere! ;)

You have to give Starbucks credit though for increasing the quality of coffee available.

If you believe that^^^ Starbuck's marketing is making a fool out of you. Their coffee is below average.

If you believe that^^^ Starbuck's marketing is making a fool out of you. Their coffee is below average.

That may be true, but brand marketing works! Trust me, I been in Starbucks chains all over the world, from China to Australia and they are ALWAYS packed! Starbucks has pushed out many local vendors because people believe its the place for coffee. Even in Vienna Austria one of the worlds famous places for coffee, Starbucks is doing pretty well although not as huge a hit worldwide.

Its no other reason needed why Disney would want it then. Just seeing the words Starbucks will get plenty of people through the door. Folgers just doesnt spark the same excitement, even if its better for some.

Again that belief is one that is incorrect. You are being fooled.

So you prefer the Nescafé sludge that doesn't even resemble coffee?

Starbucks isn't my coffee nirvana (Kona in a French press is my fave brew), but it's pretty good stuff and miles better than what's offered now.

I'm really happy about the Starbucks/Disney deal.

Quality is mearsureable, preference is not.

Starbucks is low quality. That is a fact.

So then will you share with us the quality criteria for coffee and the measurements for Starbucks illustrating their shortcomings?

I'm thinking it tastes pretty good, so I'm curious about this elusive "quality" measurement.

"Quality" is not always measurable. It includes intangibles such as personal preferences, which rather than being a separate entity is actually part of the perception of quality. For instance, what is a quality movie? Certain elements are able to be evaluated, like the equipment, staging, experience of crew etc. However, there is more to producing a film that viewers consider a quality movie than those elements; there is a definite area of ambiguity that make it impossible to assess quality using a formula. In other words, there is lots of room for various opinions and no way to say that there is only one answer.

This article, originally written in 2006 and modified in 2011, is pretty good:

Why We Hate Starbucks

by Sebastian Little

Starbucks is the megalithic corporate coffee company that is on literally every street in its birthplace, downtown Seattle.

Starbucks is an international phenomenon with nearly 11,000 stores and 6.4 billion dollars in Revenue last year. The company can move swiftly and forcefully into new products as it did when it bought Tazo Tea in 1999. The power of market domination allows them to simply buy out their competition when they wish as they did with Torrefazione and Seattle's Best in 2003. They can dominate green coffee bean markets with their substantial buying power and leverage.

Starbucks (like Microsoft just across Lake Washington) is in the paradoxical position of enjoying market supremacy and broad disdain at the same time. From labor issues to fair trade to 'promoting homosexuality' to charges of homogenization they are under constant scrutiny and criticism.

They are often the subject of parody (not laughing at themselves). When Steve Martin's L.A. Story (1991) character orders his coffee "I'll have a half double decaffeinated half-caf, with a twist of lemon" it was a direct hit on the absurd new coffee culture. And, remember the 2000 Consumer ***** logo by cartoonist Kieron Dwyer. Starbucks sued Dwyer for his work and the case was settled.

Why you are right to hate Starbucks (or at least resent them).

Starbucks is hell bent on world domination. When a new Starbucks springs up in your neighborhood the old coffee shop may not survive (but also may benefit). The indy shop will have to rally for customer loyalty. As a bi-product of the new Starbucks, they may find their rents going up as well. A well run indy shop can make it right next door to a Starbucks - but not every time. Other signs of vanity are the forays into music, product placement in media and now movie promotion.

"Will that be a Tall, Grande or a Venti?" Starbucks' menu language is just stupid - especially for espresso drinks. All I have to say is "tall" is small. The barista or cashier will not speak to you in normal cafe speak either... If you order a double cappuccino, you get the most dreaded question of all - "Will that be a Tall, Grande or a Venti?"

Fair Traders Cry "Foul!" After getting drummed by activists, S.B. did add fair trade options to the line up. They claim to pay near fair trade prices for most of the beans they buy and I believe that. However, Fair Trade is a movement that deserves the kind of support that Starbucks is really capable of.

"Line up, suckers." If the long lines out the door were for being so great and so popular that would be fine. But, the sad fact is that they purposefully designed the shop layout to encourage snaking lines create a sense of excitement and encourage the sheep mentality in consumers. For people who pay attention to this stuff it shows a lack of respect to the customer.
Why should you love Starbucks (or at least not hate it)?

An American Success Story, Starbucks was opened in 1971 by 3 partners (school teachers) who had a simple mission to bring great coffee and espresso to their town (these original partners later sold their stake and purchased Peet's). The growth and proliferation of the company is simply admirable. The fact is that a lot of the anti-Starbucks sentiment is green envy.

Need a good cup of Joe? When I visit my in-laws in a suburb of San Diego I thank Poseidon for the Starbucks mermaid in the strip mall just a block away. The closest independent operator is several miles away and frankly they have bad product and poor service. Starbucks is served on airlines, in restaurants, and at events that likely would have used something far worse.

Starbucks is a catalyst for industrial revolution. The coffee industry has been revolutionized in no small part due to the standards set and held by Starbucks. In the early days of the specialty coffee movement Starbucks was the best quality and highest style coffee outlet (unless you had an old Italian community in your city). Today, in contrast, independent shops and roasters produce higher quality and more interesting product, ultimately benefiting the consumer.

This conversation is ongoing in the specialty coffee industry. There are many loving fawning and loyal fans of Starbucks. One guy is trying to visit every Starbucks on the Planet. But they are all the same, right? Most consumers love Starbucks less as they learn more about the coffee cultivation & roasting. They want to explore more interesting and inventive coffee blends. Like most things, Starbucks is not all good or all bad but capable of both.

Is Starbuck's quality good, bad, or somewhere in between? You will find that the answer is "yes," because there are those who are adamantly for, against, and the ones in the middle who think it's just ok. Who is right? How do you decide which expert is the most expert? Does Starbucks pose a corporate threat or is it a company that supports communities and bolsters economies? Do they engage in Fair Trade practices or cheat third world countries & indirectly encourage slavery? Do they use quality beans and provide a carefully controlled roasting and brewing process or do they use the worst beans and burn them to trick consumers into believing that strong = good?

Starbucks has probably been guilty of many of the faults ascribed to it at one time or another, but that doesn't mean that they have not adapted and evolved. They would be stupid not to follow market trends and work to maintain a positive relationship with their customers, but at the same time, as a mega-company they have the power to ignore some of the criticism and evade close scrutiny.

If you hate Starbucks, fine. If you love it, fine. Either way, you have an expert on your side. IMO, the mistake is in thinking your answer is the only answer.

Again that belief is one that is incorrect. You are being fooled.

Who made you the coffee god?

Starbucks' coffee is well above average and it is responsible for the second wave coffee movement that opened the door for the third wave. Before Starbucks took coffee national and showed people coffee could be better, we had to settle for bad coffee from 7-11, donut shops, fast food joints and the like. Coffee dining out has been elevated as well, thanks to people's higher expectations that Starbucks helped set. Ever try to get an espresso in any place other than an Italian restaurant before Starbucks made espresso ubiquitous?

It has become so de rigueur for people to put down Starbucks as if that somehow elevates them to a higher level of coffee consciousness. What a load of rubbish.

"Quality" is not always measurable. It includes intangibles such as personal preferences, which rather than being a separate entity is actually part of the perception of quality. For instance, what is a quality movie? Certain elements are able to be evaluated, like the equipment, staging, experience of crew etc. However, there is more to producing a film that viewers consider a quality movie than those elements; there is a definite area of ambiguity that make it impossible to assess quality using a formula. In other words, there is lots of room for various opinions and no way to say that there is only one answer.

This article, originally written in 2006 and modified in 2011, is pretty good:

Why We Hate Starbucks

by Sebastian Little

Starbucks is the megalithic corporate coffee company that is on literally every street in its birthplace, downtown Seattle.

Starbucks is an international phenomenon with nearly 11,000 stores and 6.4 billion dollars in Revenue last year. The company can move swiftly and forcefully into new products as it did when it bought Tazo Tea in 1999. The power of market domination allows them to simply buy out their competition when they wish as they did with Torrefazione and Seattle's Best in 2003. They can dominate green coffee bean markets with their substantial buying power and leverage.

Starbucks (like Microsoft just across Lake Washington) is in the paradoxical position of enjoying market supremacy and broad disdain at the same time. From labor issues to fair trade to 'promoting homosexuality' to charges of homogenization they are under constant scrutiny and criticism.

They are often the subject of parody (not laughing at themselves). When Steve Martin's L.A. Story (1991) character orders his coffee "I'll have a half double decaffeinated half-caf, with a twist of lemon" it was a direct hit on the absurd new coffee culture. And, remember the 2000 Consumer ***** logo by cartoonist Kieron Dwyer. Starbucks sued Dwyer for his work and the case was settled.

Why you are right to hate Starbucks (or at least resent them).

Starbucks is hell bent on world domination. When a new Starbucks springs up in your neighborhood the old coffee shop may not survive (but also may benefit). The indy shop will have to rally for customer loyalty. As a bi-product of the new Starbucks, they may find their rents going up as well. A well run indy shop can make it right next door to a Starbucks - but not every time. Other signs of vanity are the forays into music, product placement in media and now movie promotion.

"Will that be a Tall, Grande or a Venti?" Starbucks' menu language is just stupid - especially for espresso drinks. All I have to say is "tall" is small. The barista or cashier will not speak to you in normal cafe speak either... If you order a double cappuccino, you get the most dreaded question of all - "Will that be a Tall, Grande or a Venti?"

Fair Traders Cry "Foul!" After getting drummed by activists, S.B. did add fair trade options to the line up. They claim to pay near fair trade prices for most of the beans they buy and I believe that. However, Fair Trade is a movement that deserves the kind of support that Starbucks is really capable of.

"Line up, suckers." If the long lines out the door were for being so great and so popular that would be fine. But, the sad fact is that they purposefully designed the shop layout to encourage snaking lines create a sense of excitement and encourage the sheep mentality in consumers. For people who pay attention to this stuff it shows a lack of respect to the customer.
Why should you love Starbucks (or at least not hate it)?

An American Success Story, Starbucks was opened in 1971 by 3 partners (school teachers) who had a simple mission to bring great coffee and espresso to their town (these original partners later sold their stake and purchased Peet's). The growth and proliferation of the company is simply admirable. The fact is that a lot of the anti-Starbucks sentiment is green envy.

Need a good cup of Joe? When I visit my in-laws in a suburb of San Diego I thank Poseidon for the Starbucks mermaid in the strip mall just a block away. The closest independent operator is several miles away and frankly they have bad product and poor service. Starbucks is served on airlines, in restaurants, and at events that likely would have used something far worse.

Starbucks is a catalyst for industrial revolution. The coffee industry has been revolutionized in no small part due to the standards set and held by Starbucks. In the early days of the specialty coffee movement Starbucks was the best quality and highest style coffee outlet (unless you had an old Italian community in your city). Today, in contrast, independent shops and roasters produce higher quality and more interesting product, ultimately benefiting the consumer.

This conversation is ongoing in the specialty coffee industry. There are many loving fawning and loyal fans of Starbucks. One guy is trying to visit every Starbucks on the Planet. But they are all the same, right? Most consumers love Starbucks less as they learn more about the coffee cultivation & roasting. They want to explore more interesting and inventive coffee blends. Like most things, Starbucks is not all good or all bad but capable of both.

Is Starbuck's quality good, bad, or somewhere in between? You will find that the answer is "yes," because there are those who are adamantly for, against, and the ones in the middle who think it's just ok. Who is right? How do you decide which expert is the most expert? Does Starbucks pose a corporate threat or is it a company that supports communities and bolsters economies? Do they engage in Fair Trade practices or cheat third world countries & indirectly encourage slavery? Do they use quality beans and provide a carefully controlled roasting and brewing process or do they use the worst beans and burn them to trick consumers into believing that strong = good?

Starbucks has probably been guilty of many of the faults ascribed to it at one time or another, but that doesn't mean that they have not adapted and evolved. They would be stupid not to follow market trends and work to maintain a positive relationship with their customers, but at the same time, as a mega-company they have the power to ignore some of the criticism and evade close scrutiny.

If you hate Starbucks, fine. If you love it, fine. Either way, you have an expert on your side. IMO, the mistake is in thinking your answer is the only answer.

Great post, Cheri. :)

Personally, I think Starbucks offers very good coffee, tea, hot chocolate, desserts, snacks, light meals...

There is a good reason why this company is successful, and continues to grow. :)

Coffee if a matter of choice. I didn't like Starbucks way back in the beginning, when they started in Seattle. Their coffee is over roasted for my taste. My feeling has always been that they cover inferior beans by cooking the hell out of them and hoping we'll just think it is 'strong' which it isn't, just burnt. I totally admit to being a coffee snob though. I don't like Nescafe better, but I don't think it is any worse than Starbucks if I'm honest. When we travel we travel with a coffee pot and our own coffee because we are that picky. I was hoping they put a smaller company in because Starbucks takes over wherever it goes in. We recently stayed in SF at a hotel that now uses Starbucks and I resented having to leave in the morning to go out and get coffee (it was only one night and it was SF so we didn't take our pot) to have with our breakfast. I can't stomach Starbucks at all anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter