It's official, Ohana menu change

It's very easy. You analyze the data in a completely unemotional manner. I don't know what criteria they're using but I would think it could be quantifiable data such as the protein with the highest volume thrown out or the protein least requested or the protein that requires the most time/man-hours to prepare or the protein that has the most complaints or who knows what other quantifiable data may potentially be used. You evaluate your goal in changing the menu and select the items that meet certain criteria for removal. It's the next step, deciding what to add to the menu, that is so much more subjective. That's done by chefs. I don't know if they're given by bean counters narrow or broad parameters for deciding what to add but within those parameters the chefs figure out what to add.

I get all that. But I know enough about the restaurant business to know that there isn't any criteria that I can come up with that equates to pork > chicken. Not from a cost standpoint. Not from a customer preference standpoint. Not from a "protein thrown out" standpoint. The only thing I can come up with is that pork is the meat most closely associated with emu cooking and 'Ohana wants to play up the "luau" feel of the dining experience. That is certainly not a small thing.

I get all that. But I know enough about the restaurant business to know that there isn't any criteria that I can come up with that equates to pork > chicken.

Must be part of that new common core math that my daughter keeps bringing home from middle school!

Totally off-topic - but WHAT???? The mushroom risotto is changed? They still have it listed as normal on the WDW menu? Oh well, doesn't matter too much anyway - all day signature has priced me out of our favorite restaurant.

I know. I rechecked the menu too. I was very disappointed to see light green risotto and peas.

It's very easy. You analyze the data in a completely unemotional manner. I don't know what criteria they're using but I would think it could be quantifiable data such as the protein with the highest volume thrown out or the protein least requested or the protein that requires the most time/man-hours to prepare or the protein that has the most complaints or who knows what other quantifiable data may potentially be used. You evaluate your goal in changing the menu and select the items that meet certain criteria for removal. It's the next step, deciding what to add to the menu, that is so much more subjective. That's done by chefs. I don't know if they're given by bean counters narrow or broad parameters for deciding what to add but within those parameters the chefs figure out what to add.

What did they add other than sauces to the dumplings, pork and steak, which they didn't even need to add as there are already dipping sauces provided.

No!!!!!!!!!!! Their chicken with peanut sauce is my favorite food on property. I'm so completely saddened by this. I don't eat shrimp or pork and I'm not a fan of wings. The steak is eh and I rarely eat more than a piece or two. I can't stomach those prices for some noodles, bread and piece of steak. Ohana has been our favorite restaurant for 10 years and through many changes, but this is going to push us over the edge to finding a new favorite. So bummed.

Shocked is what I am. I just saw this. Does anyone know if you can request a poultry adult option ahead of time (like requesting gluten free). I do not eat any pork, beef or seafood. I have never heard of a restaurant not offering at least one poultry item (even Red Lobster does). This is our favorite restaurant but I will not be able to have a protein if they don't make offer it. I just cannot imagine that there is not somewhat to get grilled chicken or turkey (no fried chicken fingers off the kids menu!!!).

PS An addendum to my last post just above. I don't eat Chicken wings as the gross me out! My husband ends up eating those since my girls and I don't like them. Could that be their rationale, that people are already getting chicken (although I barely call that chicken)?

PS An addendum to my last post just above. I don't eat Chicken wings as the gross me out! My husband ends up eating those since my girls and I don't like them. Could that be their rationale, that people are already getting chicken (although I barely call that chicken)?
I agree, I have no idea how people can compare chicken wings with chicken breast. I never received any responses to my e-mails either. :(

I agree, I have no idea how people can compare chicken wings with chicken breast. I never received any responses to my e-mails either. :(

To whom did you write. I may have to send a formal letter to the manager there and ask the question. I have normally gotten replies when I do that. I know that I want to know this information prior to making reservations. This has always been our favorite restaurant. Although, if free dining isn't offered in November (by the Grace of God), then we will not be going anyways. But I would still like to know. Thanks for posting this. I would have been quite upset had we arrived and not seen this info. I didn't even see it on Disney Food Blog.

Shocked is what I am. I just saw this. Does anyone know if you can request a poultry adult option ahead of time (like requesting gluten free). I do not eat any pork, beef or seafood.

While I don't know for sure, I have a hard time believing that they would use chicken as a dietary alternative in the same way they use other foods to adjust to allergies or gluten free diets. Disney obviously knows that removing chicken from the menu is causing issues. If word leaked out that one could pre-order chicken as a dietary need, thousands of people would want to do it and the decision to take chicken off the menu would effectively become nullified. They have their reasons for not serving chicken. Allowing every other customer to pre-order it would negate that reasoning. As far as Disney is concerned, if you do not eat pork, beef or seafood, then you are welcome to choose one of their many other restaurants. Remember that this isn't the real world where walking out of Restaurant #1 and crossing the street to Restaurant #2 costs Restaurant #1 business. It is in each restaurant's interest to accomodate you so as to keep your business. At WDW, if you walk out of 'Ohana and go to Kona or The Wave to get your chicken, Disney still wins. You get your chicken and someone else gets your table at 'Ohana.

I totally agree it's odd they don't have a main chicken dish. BUT... Still looking forward to our visit in May. I'm not a chicken wing/pork/steak fan, but can certainly find other things to eat! Shrimp = yum!

I'm very sad about this... the chicken is my FAVORITE food at 'Ohana and the only thing I ask for seconds on. I found a marinade recipe online that makes grilled chicken very similar to theirs though, and my boyfriend and I cook it pretty often. But there's nothing like being at 'Ohana and having the chicken to eat with my salad and noodles. Sooo yummy. I don't understand why they would take it off the menu. :confused3

We always have dinner at 'Ohana on the first night of our Disney trips. I'm not saying I will definitely choose another restaurant next time, but this will give me second thoughts for sure.

Anyone who is upset PLEASE send a letter to wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

I sent a letter in begging them to reconsider their decision and got a response from them and the CM said he would send my response to the manager.

The more people that send notes, the better!

I agree on that. If they hear enough negative feedback, maybe they will reconsider. I was chastised by another poster and told to just go to another restaurant to get chicken. O'Hanas is our family favorite and I don't want to go to another restaurant! I will do as you have instructed, then at least two voices will have been heard!

I emailed back when it was first mentioned. Never heard back but, hopefully, it was forwarded to the manager too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter