It's official...ABD is going to Japan!

Does anyone know anything about arriving in the Osaka Airports -KIX vs ITM? Price and FF Mile options appear to be the same arriving into Osaka.

From when we travelled independently to Japan a couple of years ago - we flew direct to KIX from the US. ITM is closer to Kyoto, but I believe is only for domestic flights. The train from KIX to Kyoto was pretty seamless.
Inside Kyoto is a website that became my bible as we planned that trip.

We are headed home now from the parks in Japan. I will share some random thoughts and observations for those who plan to do a pre or post trip to the Japan parks that may be helpful. We did 4 days and nights from June 1 - 4. Two nights were at TDL resort and two nights at the MiraCosta.

When you booked your reservations, did you book as 2 packages or 2 room only reservations and buy tickets separately? I ask because it doesn't look like room only reservations offer much availability. Packages appear to open a month before room only reservations.

For those researching airfares, be sure to check out Haneda along with Narita. I’ve learned that Narita, the newer airport, has some operating restrictions that do not allow international arrivals before a certain time and departures after a certain time. Haneda does not have the same restrictions. We are looking to depart Haneda as we can stay at TDR several hours longer on our last day, getting more from our third day ticket without another hotel night outside of the package.

For those researching airfares, be sure to check out Haneda along with Narita. I’ve learned that Narita, the newer airport, has some operating restrictions that do not allow international arrivals before a certain time and departures after a certain time. Haneda does not have the same restrictions. We are looking to depart Haneda as we can stay at TDR several hours longer on our last day, getting more from our third day ticket without another hotel night outside of the package.
Thanks! That's really great information! What airlines are you looking at?

Sayhello

When you booked your reservations, did you book as 2 packages or 2 room only reservations and buy tickets separately? I ask because it doesn't look like room only reservations offer much availability. Packages appear to open a month before room only reservations.

I did room only last time. On the next round I will be going for a package.

Yep. That looks like the way to go. What’s the best room views in your opinion?

I would be thrilled to get the same view we had which was Porto Paradiso side Harbor view room. We watched Fantasmic from our room the two nights we were there. I was so impressed with the view that I even videoed Fantasmic with my iPhone and posted it on FB. I will say that if Harbor View package rooms are not available then I will be taking my chances again and going for room only.

Thanks! That's really great information! What airlines are you looking at?

Sayhello
All Nippon Airways ANA. They have a 10:55 PM flight to LAX. The latest flight times we were finding out of Narita were all in the 5-6:30 PM range. That’s a lot more time to use our last day park hopper & some of those fast passes. We feel we will be getting more value out of the third day with the later flight.

I would be thrilled to get the same view we had which was Porto Paradiso side Harbor view room. We watched Fantasmic from our room the two nights we were there. I was so impressed with the view that I even videoed Fantasmic with my iPhone and posted it on FB. I will say that if Harbor View package rooms are not available then I will be taking my chances again and going for room only.

Ok, cool. I figured you'd know. I watched either your or your friend's FB live recording of Fantasmic at the time. It was very cool. We're staying 5 nights after the Japan ABD. We had originally planned 4, but it was a lot fewer FF miles to fly out Mon than Sun. So, 5 it is. I'll shoot for a 2 day package Porto Paradiso Harbor view. For the rest of the time, we'll move to the DL Hotel. Closer to the time, I'll see if it's realistic to grab a 3 night room only or if packages will still be necessary. (as of today, there's very little room only options, but that's for Christmas time)

All Nippon Airways ANA. They have a 10:55 PM flight to LAX. The latest flight times we were finding out of Narita were all in the 5-6:30 PM range. That’s a lot more time to use our last day park hopper & some of those fast passes. We feel we will be getting more value out of the third day with the later flight.

We flew ANA last fall and had a great experience. We're flying United this time as that was our best deal for award tickets.

We flew ANA last fall and had a great experience. We're flying United this time as that was our best deal for award tickets.
Good to know - thanks! They have good rankings on surveys and have been very helpful with some questions I had, but I always appreciate hearing from someone with personal experience.

Good to know - thanks! They have good rankings on surveys and have been very helpful with some questions I had, but I always appreciate hearing from someone with personal experience.

Not sure if you're planning on economy or business. I've done both (generally between Tokyo and Jakarta, which is about 7-8 hours so not super long, but not short - though a few other routes as well). Both are good; however, I have never had a good meal in economy. I don't choose my airlines based on meals, but ANA economy (at least on the NRT-CGK route) is brutal. The business class meals (same route) are quite tasty.

I can't remember what thread I was reading, but I saw something recently that threw a ratchet in my plans a little and I was hoping to see if anyone had any ideas.

It looks like right now that our best bet for flights will be in and out of Tokyo. As the ABD starts in Osaka, I was planning to come in a day early, stay at a hotel near the bullet train, and then take the bullet train to Osaka. But someone posted about doing something like that and mentioned that having big bags on the train would be a nightmare. As we'll be loaded down with all our bags, and I've pretty much given up on the idea of ever packing light (defeated multiple times, LOL), it made me wonder whether I should take a local flight instead? Unfortunately due to the timing of the west coast flights and the fact that it would be separate ticket that needed plenty of time between flights, I would still have to have the hotel night in between. I guess in that situation we would just stay somewhere near the airport.

So my choices right now:
--Fly into Tokyo. Stay at hotel near train. Train next day to Osaka with lots of bags.
--Fly into Tokyo. Stay at hotel near airport. Flight to Osaka next day.
--any other ideas???

Not sure if you're planning on economy or business. I've done both (generally between Tokyo and Jakarta, which is about 7-8 hours so not super long, but not short - though a few other routes as well). Both are good; however, I have never had a good meal in economy. I don't choose my airlines based on meals, but ANA economy (at least on the NRT-CGK route) is brutal. The business class meals (same route) are quite tasty.

My wife and my flight was ANA first class. It was impressive including the food. It was a nice treat. As much as I’d love to repeat that, my family of 5 will have to be happy in Economy Plus.

I can't remember what thread I was reading, but I saw something recently that threw a ratchet in my plans a little and I was hoping to see if anyone had any ideas.

It looks like right now that our best bet for flights will be in and out of Tokyo. As the ABD starts in Osaka, I was planning to come in a day early, stay at a hotel near the bullet train, and then take the bullet train to Osaka. But someone posted about doing something like that and mentioned that having big bags on the train would be a nightmare. As we'll be loaded down with all our bags, and I've pretty much given up on the idea of ever packing light (defeated multiple times, LOL), it made me wonder whether I should take a local flight instead? Unfortunately due to the timing of the west coast flights and the fact that it would be separate ticket that needed plenty of time between flights, I would still have to have the hotel night in between. I guess in that situation we would just stay somewhere near the airport.

So my choices right now:
--Fly into Tokyo. Stay at hotel near train. Train next day to Osaka with lots of bags.
--Fly into Tokyo. Stay at hotel near airport. Flight to Osaka next day.
--any other ideas???

FWIW, I had a friend traveling solo look at this very scenario (of visiting Kyoto) and elected to fly to Osaka rather than deal with luggage on the train.

We considered pre-nights in Tokyo, but ultimately thought the pre-day traveling in Tokyo may be more trouble than it's worth with the kids. So, we're going immediately to Kyoto and staying 2 pre-nights.

If you decide to fly to Osaka the next day, I would stay near Narita. It's a long train ride from Narita into Tokyo. We stayed near the Narita for one night on a long layover last year. Spent the evening in town.

Our United flight is Houston IAH -> NRT -> ITM with a 3 hr Tokyo layover. Then NRT -> IAH on the return.

FWIW, I had a friend traveling solo look at this very scenario (of visiting Kyoto) and elected to fly to Osaka rather than deal with luggage on the train.

We considered pre-nights in Tokyo, but ultimately thought the pre-day traveling in Tokyo may be more trouble than it's worth with the kids. So, we're going immediately to Kyoto and staying 2 pre-nights.

If you decide to fly to Osaka the next day, I would stay near Narita. It's a long train ride from Narita into Tokyo. We stayed near the Narita for one night on a long layover last year. Spent the evening in town.

Our United flight is Houston IAH -> NRT -> ITM with a 3 hr Tokyo layover. Then NRT -> IAH on the return.

Thanks so much for the input--will definitely keep in mind the Narita hotel.

We are looking at a number of different flights to Japan, and it will depend on what we end up with. I'm going for business/first so i'm trying to be as flexible as possible. United isn't going to work for me as they've had no business saver awards 11 months out at any of the flights I've been tracking. They've gotten so stingy it's ridiculous. I'm hoping for JAL but we may have to fly out of LAX to get all 4. I've got quite a list going :) I don't want to fly directly into Osaka from LAX because the flight JAL uses is an angled flat (annoying!) with no first class. I recalled someone mentioned luggage service so I"m looking into that. It looks like we can drop our luggage off at JAL in Tokyo and they will deliver to Osaka hotel for $30ish per bag, depending on size. There's also supposedly a good "hands free" luggage travel company that operates out of hotels. If anyone has experience with these definitely let me know!

United isn't going to work for me as they've had no business saver awards 11 months out at any of the flights I've been tracking.

Yeah, part of me was hoping to find the 110k United super saver business flights to Tokyo, but as you've seen they're all 175k (each way). Just couldn't pull the trigger. Our economy flights were 35k saver awards which I though was pretty good. Should be an easier (mostly) nonstop flight for our kids than some of our multi leg European flights though.

Yeah, part of me was hoping to find the 110k United super saver business flights to Tokyo, but as you've seen they're all 175k (each way). Just couldn't pull the trigger. Our economy flights were 35k saver awards which I though was pretty good. Should be an easier (mostly) nonstop flight for our kids than some of our multi leg European flights though.
I saw tons of saver availability from SFO as well. It's the business/first saver that's so disappointing--definitely can't pull the trigger on the regular fare either. Ouch!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!