It's not a cruise UNTIL...

EvaSue

DIS Veteran
I asked this question on our cruise meet Facebook page, and the answers were so great, I had to bring it here! What really sets the stage for your Disney cruise? An activity, a ritual, a "can't miss", etc... For me, I have to get a frozen red drink in my hand and find a great piece of railing where I can see land and there's wind in my hair! Then I like to watch very carefully to see if I can pick out when the ship starts moving. I miss some of the Sailaway party this way, but it's my sacred moment and I love it! How about YOU?!

They announce our family name as we enter the grand atrium!:goodvibes:cool1::woohoo:

We have only sailed from PC, and for me the cruise starts the moment we see the ship for the first time from the window of the DCL bus!

All great answers so far.
For me, When we sit down for lunch at Cabanas (or BBB) after we board. That's when I can relax. We have a ceremonial toast and that's when the cruise begins.

When we get into the terminal and see the beautiful markings on the floor

I LOVE :lovestruc all the responses so far and can relate to all of them! I think I'm in the camp - it's when we get to the Port and we are so eager to board we are about to explode with excitement! The next would be the announcement of the names (yes I get misty eyed every time) and just as someone else mentioned, sitting down at Cabanas and realizing...ahh, the good life!! :banana:

Heather

The sail away horn makes me cry every time!!! That's when we are officially starting the cruise!

For me, the vacation starts before the cruise because we hit a park day or two first. I think going under the Walt Disney World sign is the real start of the crazy excitement for me.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/1003326_150955341773391_1989667863_n.jpg

The cruise begins for me, when I get my KTTW and stick it in my lanyard. and of course when The Twins are announced!

The next way I know I'm on the cruise, our own 'sail away' margaritas and our first snack! (Burgers and panninis this time, but normally pizza and chicken tenders are my tried and true cruise cuisine!)

Gosh. I can't wait til May! I mean, I can, I'm visiting Twinkie Labor Day to go camping in WA state, and then I have our May anniversaries trip to look forward to! Best part is, I'm still losing weight, and I won't gain a bunch this winter, cuz that would be stupid, I'd have to lose it all again before May...
just rambling now excitedly... :yay:

I have to say when I hear the horns as well, but I feel really into it when I walk on the wood decks in my bare feet for the first time.

All great answers so far.
For me, When we sit down for lunch at Cabanas (or BBB) after we board. That's when I can relax. We have a ceremonial toast and that's when the cruise begins.

I totally agree. Sitting down for that lunch is like the turning point -the release of stress, the letting go....... aaaah. can't wait for my next cruise

kate

thought I had my answer - when I sit down at Cabanas/Topsiders/Beach Blanket for lunch - but all the other posts are so right-on.....getting on the bus, coming over that bridge and see the ship for the first time, waiting in the terminal - we leave Saturday for the Fantasy and the excitement is building:cool1::banana::cheer2::dance3::yay:

Definitely sitting down to lunch. Boarding is usually a little hectic, then going to guest services to put credits on our account and signing up for tastings. Then if you have to do any dining changes/reservations, get that done. Finally sitting down to lunch with everything taken care of is party time!

Not too funny for a certain son of mine, but for years now we've been saying, "it's not a vacation until Ethan throws up!" My poor motion sick kid!

I realize this is day 2 of the cruise but it isn't a cruise to me until I have had eggs benedict and an adult beverage before noon!

Always the Horns, after 10 cruises we still never get tired of hearing "When you wish upon a Star". Of course having my 1st BBC is pretty good as well. :drinking1

Yep...still get weepy when I hear that tune on the ship's horn. And for me, it would be a Konk Kooler to drink!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter