It's My Birthday & I'll Disney if I Wanna! ~ A Dec 2015 PTR - COMPLETE!

Another weekly update incoming! It's weird how time seems to be both simultaneously flying AND dragging at the same time! :confused:
We call this disney time in our house. It's wonderful, its excruciating, its long, its short, and its freaking frustrating

I originally was thinking of getting a decal for my pink band, but I'm concerned... I got it a year ago, for my Sept 2014 trip. Will it's battery even still be operational in December 2015? Am I better off leaving that one at home for this trip? Anybody have any insight on how long these suckers last for? :confused3
Your bands look great. I think they say they are supposed to last for a year or so, but we're still rocking some from september 2014 so you should be fine. We always get them on the room door after check in just to be sure.

THE SAMOAN! ... "Poached Eggs with Hollandaise served over Smoked Pulled Pork Hash."
Oh my favorite, oh so good. I'd definitely go for both!!! It's freaking vacation. And add in a yummy bloody mary while you're at it. Their delicious!

I've decided to try Melatonin again, and see how I do on it.
Or you could go my route and just down some good ole fashioned wine ; )

And finally, in closing of this week's update, I just have to share this video. Some of you may have already seen it. If so, watch it again because it's awesome. If not, watch it now for the first time because it's awesome. Probably the cutest thing I've seen in ages. (The tiny Dole Whip KILLS me!)
This is awesome. Love all the tiny food. Can't wait to show my daughter in the morning

I'm guessing you're all pretty stoked about the official announcements about the Star Wars land and Toy Story land expansions at Hollywood Studios? Or the "Soarin' Around the World" upgrade at Epcot? I sure am! :hyper:

I'm excited about Toy Story Land and Soarin' ... but don't get me started on Star Wars.

I thought that purple one was going to be my favorite, but as it turns out, I like the colorful one better! :cutie: I'm probably going to order a Christmas-themed one to put on the red band that I'll be getting in November for this trip. I originally was thinking of getting a decal for my pink band, but I'm concerned... I got it a year ago, for my Sept 2014 trip. Will it's battery even still be operational in December 2015? Am I better off leaving that one at home for this trip? Anybody have any insight on how long these suckers last for? :confused3

I love the stickers! And the colorful one is my favorite too.
In terms of the battery ... my October 2013 one still worked in February 2015. So that's what, like 16 months? I'm taking it with me in January and hoping it still works (although I will also bring a backup MB the first time I wear it just in case).
From what I've read, the batteries last about 2 years. But the battery is only necessary for long range (things like ride photos) - short-range (any time when you touch the Mickey head) doesn't seem to need a battery at all.

1. Stop being ridiculous, and pick one or the other when I get there that day.
2. Pop over to the Poly a little early to have the Tonga Toast from Captain Cooks for half the price, then have the Samoan at Kona.
3. Be a total fatty, and order both entrees at Kona. Zero craps given.

I'm voting for option 2 or 3 - both are legitimate options. 2 is cheaper, but 3 is easier.

Oh oh oh! And as I sit here writing this at 3:47am, I just remembered I wanted to thank all of you who gave me advice regarding my insomnia last week! (You may have noticed I've changed my DIS avatar, because I'm always so SLEEPY!) I've decided to try Melatonin again, and see how I do on it. I took it ages ago, and it worked well for me, but over time I built up a resistance to it and it stopped having the same effect and I didn't want to keep increasing the dose, so I went off of it. It's been years though, so I'm wondering if it would work for me again now. I'm going to pick some up probably this week, and try it out. I need to figure out SOMETHING over the course of these next three months... Being at Disney and not sleeping at night makes for less-than-fun days (as well as falling asleep in the most random places). :faint:

Keep us updated on how the Melatonin works! I, for one, am very interested - it's something that's been recommended to me a few times, and I just never try it (then again, I don't take my Vitamin D pills either). Maybe one more success story will make me finally try it...
Probably not though.

Yesss, I was so excited about all of the D23 announcements. I was following along on Twitter all day. And I really, really hope we get to see a few Star Wars previews in December! And that maybe Rivers of Light at AK will be open for our May 2016 trip or at the very least for our October 2016 trip (cue excited squeal here :hyper: )!

Love the spiffy MBs! The yellow is my favorite of the two! So can you use them all interchangeably during a single trip?

My vote for the Tonga Toast - order both at Kona and "share" with your aunt and uncle? I've heard raves reviews of Tonga Toast, of course. But Lou Mongello was just talking about how he loves the Samoan on his podcast a few weeks ago!

Oh I'm sorry about the vacuum breakdown - Walmart has come to my rescue many a times as well!

May I hijack and ask a question? My DH is a football nut and would like for me to customize his Magic Band with a team logo or name. I'd love to here from those craftier than I!

I'm so glad that I have Disney trips tentatively planned every year through 2021, so that I'll (hopefully) get to see all the changes!

RIGHT?!?!? I will be going until im dead.

Dude, Stevie totally needs his own YouTube channel. He could be the next viral internet animal star!

I can only image the things on there.. He is something else...

May I hijack and ask a question? My DH is a football nut and would like for me to customize his Magic Band with a team logo or name. I'd love to here from those craftier than I!

VERY EASY! get temp Tattoo's! add them to the band and put a coat of nail polish over!!!

Pintrest was my number one spot for looking at all things Magic Bands!!

There's an entire thread of people who decorated their MagicBands - http://www.disboards.com/threads/ha...ic-bands-please-show-us-the-pictures.3190181/
There's a lot to look through, but if you have the time, you can probably get some great ideas from that thread!

Temporary tattoos and vinyl skins (from somewhere like Magic Your Band or the like) seem to be the most popular options, but some people also do really intricate things with nail polish.

Thank you so much for the advice! I'll take a look at all of the suggestions although I doubt I'll get creative with nail polish. It's touch and go with me when I'm just trying to paint my toes!

We call this disney time in our house. It's wonderful, its excruciating, its long, its short, and its freaking frustrating
This all so terribly accurate! :scared:

Your bands look great. I think they say they are supposed to last for a year or so, but we're still rocking some from september 2014 so you should be fine. We always get them on the room door after check in just to be sure.
Ooooh, that is good to know! Thanks! :thumbsup2

Oh my favorite, oh so good. I'd definitely go for both!!! It's freaking vacation. And add in a yummy bloody mary while you're at it. Their delicious!
Oh man, if it got the Kari seal of approval, it must be good. NEED TO EAT IT. I think "Both!" is definitely the route for me! Sadly, I'm not a tomato juice fan, so no Bloody Mary for this girl. For brunch, I'm more about the mimosas and bellinis. :cutie:

Or you could go my route and just down some good ole fashioned wine ; )
I consider it often, but I know me an my addictive tendencies, and worry that for me, such a practice would become a slow descent into alcoholism. :laughing:

This is awesome. Love all the tiny food. Can't wait to show my daughter in the morning
You have to tell me if she loves it! She's so precocious! :cutie:

I'm excited about Toy Story Land and Soarin' ... but don't get me started on Star Wars.
It's not for everybody. :hug:

I love the stickers! And the colorful one is my favorite too.
Thanks! I'm really happy with that one! And it's the newest of the lot, so it should definitely be fine for my December trip! :thumbsup2

In terms of the battery ... my October 2013 one still worked in February 2015. So that's what, like 16 months? I'm taking it with me in January and hoping it still works (although I will also bring a backup MB the first time I wear it just in case).
From what I've read, the batteries last about 2 years. But the battery is only necessary for long range (things like ride photos) - short-range (any time when you touch the Mickey head) doesn't seem to need a battery at all.
Hmmm! That's VERY interesting, I'm glad you brought that up. It's certainly something to think about. We have Memory Maker, and I definitely need the band to be read by the long-range scanners so that the ride photos end up in our account! Maybe I should pass on using the one from Sept 2014, just to be safe. Or maybe just carry one of the newer ones in my bag? I wonder if I forget to slap it on my wrist for the ride, if it would still pick up on the scanner from within my bag? :scratchin

I'm voting for option 2 or 3 - both are legitimate options. 2 is cheaper, but 3 is easier.
True, and I am all about easy while on vacation! ::yes::

Keep us updated on how the Melatonin works! I, for one, am very interested - it's something that's been recommended to me a few times, and I just never try it (then again, I don't take my Vitamin D pills either). Maybe one more success story will make me finally try it...
Probably not though.
You're so funny. :rotfl: Seriously though, I had great results with it the first time I tried it! It could possibly help you!

Yesss, I was so excited about all of the D23 announcements. I was following along on Twitter all day. And I really, really hope we get to see a few Star Wars previews in December! And that maybe Rivers of Light at AK will be open for our May 2016 trip or at the very least for our October 2016 trip (cue excited squeal here :hyper: )!
Oh man, I forgot all about Rivers of Light in 2016. How amazing would that be if it was up and running by October for us?! :woohoo:

Love the spiffy MBs! The yellow is my favorite of the two! So can you use them all interchangeably during a single trip?
Yes, that's my understanding! You can continue to use your MBs from past trips! Basically the MBs will continue to link to anything that's currently in your MDE account! Sue (@Wood Nymph ) does it all the time! :thumbsup2

My vote for the Tonga Toast - order both at Kona and "share" with your aunt and uncle? I've heard raves reviews of Tonga Toast, of course. But Lou Mongello was just talking about how he loves the Samoan on his podcast a few weeks ago!
That's the idea! If I end up going solo, I'll just order both. Because that's one of the awesome things about being solo... Nobody judging you for your poor life choices! :rotfl: But if they join me, I'll just talk one of both of them into "trying" the Tonga Toast with me, we'll cut it in half or into thirds. Being more into savories than sweet, the Samoan really is more up my alley, but I've read so much about that Tonga Toast here on the DIS that now I just GOTTA try it, if only a few bites! :goodvibes

Oh I'm sorry about the vacuum breakdown - Walmart has come to my rescue many a times as well!
They sure did! It's a cheap little vacuum, but it got my couch cleaner and more free of cat hair than my old vacuum ever came anywhere close to! So it was a blessing in disguise! ::yes::

Go for it! :D

Thank you so much for the advice! I'll take a look at all of the suggestions although I doubt I'll get creative with nail polish. It's touch and go with me when I'm just trying to paint my toes!
See, you sound like me. Painting with nail polish and temp tattoos and all that is way beyond me. That's why I opted for the vinyl decals! I can handle putting stickers on stuff moderately well! (I say moderately because what you don't see in the photo that I posted is the ends of them, where I got them all kinds of crooked. :laughing: ) Here's a couple of websites for the decals!:

http://www.magicyourband.com/
http://myfantasybands.com/

Or maybe just carry one of the newer ones in my bag? I wonder if I forget to slap it on my wrist for the ride, if it would still pick up on the scanner from within my bag? :scratchin

That's what I'll probably do - I hope it picks it up from inside the bag (I can't see why it wouldn't)! Then again, I'm also neurotic and will probably put the picture on my magicband at the end too whenever possible. But you'll have to tell me how it works so that I know what to do in January!

Oh man, I forgot all about Rivers of Light in 2016. How amazing would that be if it was up and running by October for us?! :woohoo:

It better be open by October!
(Not that I'll be there then, but it's supposed to open in the spring I think, and I'm getting sick of delays).

See, you sound like me. Painting with nail polish and temp tattoos and all that is way beyond me. That's why I opted for the vinyl decals! I can handle putting stickers on stuff moderately well! (I say moderately because what you don't see in the photo that I posted is the ends of them, where I got them all kinds of crooked. :laughing: )

Putting on stickers and decals is way harder than people realize!

Love the MB decals! I think the yellow one is my fav too. They both turned out great though.

Cool announcements from D23 Expo. I'm most excited about Toy Story Land, SW is cool but nobody in my fam is super duper into it. I would def. check it out though! The expo looks like such a cool thing to do.....mmmmmm maybe next year I can talk someone into going.( Edited to add.. Guess they only do the expo every other year) Do you think they are extending AK park hours then for Rivers of Light? I've got Soooo long to wait for park hours to come out for next Oct. even!

The Hamster's day at DW cracked me up! So cute! I love his little chubby cheeks :lovestruc

The what to order dilemma, that's a hard one, I say go for both! If you're feeling self conscious then the tonga toast at Captian Cooks b fore hand is a great alternative. :thumbsup2

Sorry bout your vacuum biting the dust :rotfl2: I hate having to spend $$ on things like household necessities and oil changes and such.

Hope you find something that works to help you sleep. I'm a huge 'ol grumpy Gus if I don't get enough sleep!

Last edited:
The yellow multi coloured band is very cute and I always get in a mess with stickers too, don't even get me started on iPad screen covers :rotfl2:

If you can eat both things at breakfast then do it otherwise getting the Tonga Toast a different time at the QS sounds great, especially as I love saving money :lmao:

The WDW news sounds great but as my trip next Aug/Sept will be my last for a very long time I won't hardly see any of it :guilty:

I have not a crafty or nail polishing bone in my body, so we use duct tape which involves nothing but cutting. Plus they have all the nfl teams and a lot of college too, as well as Disney. We have steelers, Virginia tech, Minnie,princess, and frozen ones just to name a few

Love the Magic Bands!

I am excited about all the new stuff coming to Disney although I still mourn the loss of the Animation Class.

Awesome looking magic bands. I'm a big fan of stickers and tape.

The holiday dining with Minnie and the gang looks great. I loved Disney at Christmas, even with the crowds (we went Christmas week). The decorations, music...

At your breakfast ADR, I vote for the Tonga Toast appetizer, I think it was option two.

School is starting soon, so it's back to wearing real shoes. My feet are already crying.
Hope you are sleeping better.

Love the bands :thumbsup2 I have so many of them now & I really want to do something different, just haven't decided on a wrap thing or those add-on thingy's . I kinda like the new ride specific ones they came out with :scratchin

So.....we did breakfast at Kona once and weren't impressed (no hating!) I got the pineapple macadamia pancakes & DH got the Tonga Toast. IDK, maybe just an off day :confused3 Anyway I never see bad reviews so I think we're going to give it another shot on our Jan. trip. Nov. trip is already overflowing with ADR's I'm not willing to give up lol!
And I say go for choice #3!!!

That's what I'll probably do - I hope it picks it up from inside the bag (I can't see why it wouldn't)! Then again, I'm also neurotic and will probably put the picture on my magicband at the end too whenever possible. But you'll have to tell me how it works so that I know what to do in January!
I will definitely report back! :thumbsup2

Putting on stickers and decals is way harder than people realize!
Dude, it soooo is! :faint:

Love the MB decals! I think the yellow one is my fav too. They both turned out great though.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to wearing them! :goodvibes

Cool announcements from D23 Expo. I'm most excited about Toy Story Land, SW is cool but nobody in my fam is super duper into it. I would def. check it out though!
Funnily enough, I'm not super duper into Toy Story. Never have been. I'm excited for the land though, and totally into checking it out. (And I do love TSMM!) :-)

The expo looks like such a cool thing to do.....mmmmmm maybe next year I can talk someone into going.( Edited to add.. Guess they only do the expo every other year)
I've pondered this myself before. But honestly, the money I would spend going to D23? I think I'd rather just go to WDW. :D

Do you think they are extending AK park hours then for Rivers of Light? I've got Soooo long to wait for park hours to come out for next Oct. even!
Oh, they must be. It's supposed to be a night-time show. And I've been reading that there are going to be night-time safaris too, featuring nocturnal animals! :eek:

The Hamster's day at DW cracked me up! So cute! I love his little chubby cheeks :lovestruc
I love Tiny Hamster! Isn't he there best?! :cutie:

The what to order dilemma, that's a hard one, I say go for both! If you're feeling self conscious then the tonga toast at Captian Cooks b fore hand is a great alternative. :thumbsup2
I'm all about secretly getting my fatty on! (Who am I kidding? I'm happy to publically get my fatty on, too!) :rotfl:

Sorry bout your vacuum biting the dust :rotfl2: I hate having to spend $$ on things like household necessities and oil changes and such.
Yes, me too! Adulting is AWFUL, I tell ya! :sad:

Hope you find something that works to help you sleep. I'm a huge 'ol grumpy Gus if I don't get enough sleep!
I'm not grumpy, so much as I'm unfiltered, and I get in trouble at work. Doh! :headache:

The yellow multi coloured band is very cute and I always get in a mess with stickers too, don't even get me started on iPad screen covers :rotfl2:
Oh man, I won't even attempt screen covers. I can just imagine what a mess I'd make of my electronics! :scared:

If you can eat both things at breakfast then do it otherwise getting the Tonga Toast a different time at the QS sounds great, especially as I love saving money :lmao:
I think I'm definitely gonna have to do both somehow. I just gotta! ::yes::

The WDW news sounds great but as my trip next Aug/Sept will be my last for a very long time I won't hardly see any of it :guilty:
You will see it, though! The rumors I'm seeing is that it's going to be Pandora opening in 2017, Toy Story in 2018, and Star Wars in 2019. So you got plenty of time, girl! :goodvibes

Love the Magic Bands!
Thanks! I'm fond of them, too! :cutie:

I am excited about all the new stuff coming to Disney although I still mourn the loss of the Animation Class.
You know, a little part of me does, but mainly for the people who never got to experience it. I myself haven't done it in years, it's not a part of my Hollywood Studios must-do list, so it's a not a huge loss for my personally. And my inner nerd really is excited for the SW Launch Bay! :o

Thanks so much for all of the help. Here's the one he made on magicyourband:

Looks snazzy! I hope your hubs loves it! :thumbsup2

caught back up. :) Did the Melatonin work for you?
I actually completely forgot to pick some up at the store this week. DOH! So I'm still running on serious sleep deficit! :faint:

Awesome looking magic bands. I'm a big fan of stickers and tape.
You and me both, girl! :rotfl:

The holiday dining with Minnie and the gang looks great. I loved Disney at Christmas, even with the crowds (we went Christmas week). The decorations, music...
Yesss! I haven't done the whole Disney Christmas thing since 2009... I'm really looking forward to it! :santa:

At your breakfast ADR, I vote for the Tonga Toast appetizer, I think it was option two.
I'm definitely doing Option 2 or 3! I'll play it by ear, though! ::yes::

School is starting soon, so it's back to wearing real shoes. My feet are already crying.
I hate shoes. And pants. Haaaaaaate! :sad: They are the DEBIL.

Hope you are sleeping better.
Not yet, but hopefully soon-ish! :-)

Love the bands :thumbsup2 I have so many of them now & I really want to do something different, just haven't decided on a wrap thing or those add-on thingy's . I kinda like the new ride specific ones they came out with :scratchin
I'm actually pondering buying an LE MagicBand now from the Disney Store online to take with me. I'm ridiculous. :rotfl:

So.....we did breakfast at Kona once and weren't impressed (no hating!) I got the pineapple macadamia pancakes & DH got the Tonga Toast. IDK, maybe just an off day :confused3 Anyway I never see bad reviews so I think we're going to give it another shot on our Jan. trip. Nov. trip is already overflowing with ADR's I'm not willing to give up lol!
I think all restaurants have an off day, even at Disney. As much as I love Boma, and as many times as I've been, I do remember one visit where me and my traveling companion were both like, "Yeah, that was not their best dinner service." Didn't stop me from going back though, and have enjoyed it each time since. So good for you for being open to giving Kona another try! :goodvibes

And I say go for choice #3!!!
I like the way you think! :D

Say whaaaaaat! This is slated to be available "later this year," according to the Disney Parks blog. I feel QUITE certain it will be up and running before I arrive on December 4th. Looks like I need to tweak my touring plans once again

Yaasss!! This has gotten me so excited! And also the Skipper's Cantina announcement... But Star Wars meet & greets! Aaaahhh! *Please let Han be there. Please let Han be there!* If I tell him I love him, do you think he'll say "I know"? *swoon* :lovestruc

Well, I got those babies slapped on some bands, and I think they look pretty swanky myself

SO swanky! I like the colorful one too but you can't go wrong with the purple either. Nice to have options!

Anybody have any insight on how long these suckers last for? :confused3

I read somewhere that they're supposed to last 2 years for the long range (battery) indefinitely for the short range.

I also love eggs, and I love hollandaise sauce.

Ummm.... I always thought eggs have always been just a hollandaise transportation device. No? :P

PS I make a killer hollandaise

I'm leaning towards Option 3. Because VACATION. :goodvibes

And calories don't exist on vacation! :thumbsup2 (or on holidays. Or weekends. Or when someone is treating you to dinner/lunch/breakfast)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter