It's Happening...Frozen at Epcot

OK I get it.

But I think it's unfair to say it has "Zero" to do with Norway - Frozen is very much inspired by Norway/Scandinavia.

Also if you boycott Frozen on these grounds you should also boycott Snow White, Belle, Mary Poppins, who also show up in Epcot.

;)

A meet and Greet with Frozen characters in one thing (like they have meet and greets with other characters in other countries)...but not putting in a ride to showcase a fictitious country (even worse, replacing the ride that showcases the REAL country to pavilion represents).

On the plus side, it will siphon crowds away from things I do enjoy and will patronize.

there's a link in another thread stating Frozen ride is scheduled for completion in 2016.

Yes - from what I've read, the new attraction and greeting area will be completed by early 2016 with the Norway pavilion open during the construction process. October 5th is the last day that Maelstrom will be operational.

Being that so much of the movie was heavily inspired by Norway...the clothes, the landscape, etc...I think it'll fit just fine.

My only question is why would they cancel entertainment groups like Off Kilter and Mo'Rockin in favor of more "traditional" offerings but then put a ride from a fictional land into a pavilion? Personally no matter how dated Maelstrom got I loved it and still do, I won't get into whether or not Frozen will be horrible or it will ruin the pavilion until I actually experience it and can give it a fair judgement

My only question is why would they cancel entertainment groups like Off Kilter and Mo'Rockin in favor of more "traditional" offerings but then put a ride from a fictional land into a pavilion? Personally no matter how dated Maelstrom got I loved it and still do, I won't get into whether or not Frozen will be horrible or it will ruin the pavilion until I actually experience it and can give it a fair judgement

DING DING DING! Winner.

can you meet E&A at Hollywood studios? or no pics w/them? totally new to all this so not sure where to learn/read all about them

No you cannot. You can currently meet them in Magic Kingdom only. The sing-a-long is a show where they sing some of the songs from the movie while playing clips on a large movie screen.

Oh for heaven's sake...

People gripe that Disney isn't doing anything new, then they gripe when they do. Me thinks people just like to gripe.

I'm thrilled- The maelstrom was horrible. I could care less if it's "real" or not. There's a lot in Epcot that isn't real.

Yay!!!! Good for Disney!!!

Now what the crap do I do? 3 trips in a year and now yet another excuse to go.:)

OK I get it. But I think it's unfair to say it has "Zero" to do with Norway - Frozen is very much inspired by Norway/Scandinavia. Also if you boycott Frozen on these grounds you should also boycott Snow White, Belle, Mary Poppins, who also show up in Epcot. ;)

I have very little problems with putting in a meet & greet. As you say other princesses greet there and there's little else for little ones to do in World Showcase. But you don't see other countries having parts of their pavilions torn out to accommodate princesses that don't even hail from the countries their putting them in. Arendelle is made up. And despite being "inspired by" Norway, it's a DUMB PLACE to put the ride.

Not really upset about World Showcase. They already have princesses in the restaurant, Donald Duck in Mexico, I dunno. But they taking a ride and just replacing it? So cheap.

2016? Assuming they are using the current layout and not bulldozing the whole pavilion, I wonder why this is going to take so long.

I bet the meet and greet will be FP-only with maybe some of those return cards. I don't think they will create another situation like the first A&E meet and greet there.

My only question is why would they cancel entertainment groups like Off Kilter and Mo'Rockin in favor of more "traditional" offerings but then put a ride from a fictional land into a pavilion?

Because cheaper entertainment groups mean $$$ and Frozen means $$$.

Oh for heaven's sake...

People gripe that Disney isn't doing anything new, then they gripe when they do. Me thinks people just like to gripe.

I'm thrilled- The maelstrom was horrible. I could care less if it's "real" or not. There's a lot in Epcot that isn't real.

Yay!!!! Good for Disney!!!

Now what the crap do I do? 3 trips in a year and now yet another excuse to go.:)

Frozen was horrible. :smokin:

I wish that there was a simple, THREE-WORD PHRASE that I could use to respond to everyone who is so upset about Frozen being "crammed down their throat" or about Norway being "inappropriate" for a Frozen ride since it's Arendelle's a fictional country...

frozen-elsa-let-it-go.jpg

Yes - from what I've read, the new attraction and greeting area will be completed by early 2016 with the Norway pavilion open during the construction process. October 5th is the last day that Maelstrom will be operational.

We will be there the 8th. Was really hoping at least a meet and greet would be up by then. But this way I'm sure it will be nicer!

Here is the e-mail that was just sent out to travel agents:

Your Clients now have even more ways to enjoy and experience the world of "Frozen," Disney's instant classic film, across Walt Disney World® Resort! "Frozen" has been a part of the Guest experience in a number of ways already and our Guests have both loved them and asked for more. We are pleased to share with you our latest plans to bring more "Frozen"-inspired experiences to our Disney theme parks.

We're starting construction on a brand new "Frozen" attraction at the Norway Pavilion at Epcot®. The new attraction, which replaces Maelstrom, will take your Clients to Arendelle and immerse them in many of their favorite moments and music from the film. The pavilion will also include a royal greeting location with Anna and Elsa. These "Frozen" elements are great additions to the Norway Pavilion, which showcases the country and region that inspired the film. 

In order for work to begin on the attraction and character greeting area, the last day Guests can enjoy the Maelstrom attraction is Oct. 5, 2014. The project is anticipated to be complete by early 2016, and the Norway pavilion will remain open through construction.

The wintry wonder and magic of "Frozen" will also enchant Magic Kingdom® Park this holiday season. Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf join the festive holiday procession, "Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade," along with a flurry of skaters, skiiers, and ice cutters from the Kingdom of Arendelle. This parade is offered during Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, select nights Nov. 7-Dec. 19, 2014. The parade will also be presented daily Dec. 20-31, 2014.

Each evening beginning Nov. 5, 2014, Anna and Elsa will appear in a new show on the Castle Forecourt Stage at the heart of Magic Kingdom Park, as Queen Elsa uses her incredible powers to transform Cinderella Castle into a glimmering ice palace for the holidays.

And, if your Clients haven't experienced "Frozen Summer Fun LIVE!" at Disney's Hollywood Studios® yet, they are in for a special treat. Due to its popularity, two elements of this special event are now set to continue.

Your Clients can enjoy "For the First Time in Forever: A 'Frozen' Sing-Along Celebration," a hilarious and interactive presentation of the "Frozen" story - extended indefinitely! The show is presented up to 10 times per day in the park's Premiere Theater on Streets of America, and Disney Fastpass+ service is now available.

Wandering Oaken's Trading Post and Frozen Funland will be moving on Sept. 28, 2014 from Soundstage One to a new space, in Streets of America near the exit of the Studio Backlot Tour. The new Wandering Oaken's, expected to operate through the holiday season, will feature a larger-than-ever play area with real snow, plenty of "Frozen" merchandise, character cupcakes, and other treats.

I posted this on the Disney Parks blog...I fully expect it will never see the light of day:

World Showcase at Epcot is a showcase of REAL ACTUAL countries...of which "Arendelle" is NOT. It is a fictitious land made up for a fairytale movie and therefore a ride about such place has no place in World Showcase. It would be fine if it was a Norway ride with characters from Frozen giving a tour of the country (like the Gran Fiesta Tour in Mexico). I'm very disappointed in this announcement.

BTW...I'm not against a Frozen ride (though I thought it was the worst of all Disney movies). It just doesn't belong in EPCOT. Hollywood Studios or MK? Sure. When Epcot is SCREAMING for added attraction capacity, they go and change an existing ride rather than add more rides and attractions??? There are freaking abandoned buildings in the park!! WEAK Disney. WEAK.

It's sad. Maelstrom has always been one of my family's favorite rides. We can't go to WDW this year, so we've seen our last of Maelstrom. My kids will be disappointed, to say the least. Apparently I've also seen my last of the Stave Church interior (a mini-museum about Viking history). That doesn't get as much attention as Maelstrom but will be equally missed by me.

I suppose the abandoned buildings in EPCOT have a lot of value to Disney as a place to host private parties or whatever, because they certainly are spacious enough to relieve EPCOT of its dearth of new attractions. :(

Not really upset about World Showcase. They already have princesses in the restaurant, Donald Duck in Mexico, I dunno. But they taking a ride and just replacing it? So cheap.

1. 2016? Assuming they are using the current layout and not bulldozing the whole pavilion, I wonder why this is going to take so long.

2. I bet the meet and greet will be FP-only with maybe some of those return cards. I don't think they will create another situation like the first A&E meet and greet there.

1. Why assume that? We'll just have to see what's in store....

2. Let's not go there just yet, m'kay? ;)

Will maelstrom still be running in Dec do we think? I've never rode and was hoping to. Too bad the frozen ride won't be there yet my daughter would love it.

I have very little problems with putting in a meet & greet. As you say other princesses greet there and there's little else for little ones to do in World Showcase. But you don't see other countries having parts of their pavilions torn out to accommodate princesses that don't even hail from the countries their putting them in. Arendelle is made up. And despite being "inspired by" Norway, it's a DUMB PLACE to put the ride.

Donald Duck is not a princess, but he does not hail from Mexico. (And José Carioca is from Brazil, not Mexico.)

Panchito Pistoles is Mexican, though.

;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter