It's Happening...Frozen at Epcot

I posted this on the Disney Parks blog...I fully expect it will never see the light of day:

World Showcase at Epcot is a showcase of REAL ACTUAL countries...of which "Arendelle" is NOT. It is a fictitious land made up for a fairytale movie and therefore a ride about such place has no place in World Showcase. It would be fine if it was a Norway ride with characters from Frozen giving a tour of the country (like the Gran Fiesta Tour in Mexico). I'm very disappointed in this announcement.

I think you mis-read the announcement. The pavilion is not changing to Arendelle - it will still be the Norway pavilion. It will just have a Frozen-themed ride.

I haven't been to the parks in 3 years now. I am thankful my children aren't interested in the Frozen events.

I don't like having Frozen crammed down my throat at every turn :(. Hopefully we can avoid most of it next month.

I'm more upset by this:

Unless they house a large queue out the back (or left side) of Norway, it'll turn into the same horrendous crowds they had in the spring.

They will take out the stores and make that entire area into the queue and meet and greet. Betting they will also put in a FP+ queue. There will probaby be one small area selling Frozen merchandise exclusively.

Looks like the restaurants are staying though, hope the bathrooms are too as it's easy to run over there from La Cava

it will still be the Norway pavilion. It will just have a Frozen-themed ride.

From what they are writing, the ride itself will be fully Frozen themed, apparently nothing about Norway. So if they do remove the stores to fit in the meet and greet, the only thing vaguely Norwegian left will be the architecture, the Kringla bakery and maybe some of the stuff they serve in Akershus (not so much the princess meal aspect though).

I mean, somebody correct me if I'm wrong here but... Frozen is a fairy tale that takes place in a made up world and Norway is a real place with history and culture, right? When does Pocahontas's canoe ride open up in the America pavilion?

I mean, somebody correct me if I'm wrong here but... Frozen is a fairy tale that takes place in a made up world and Norway is a real place with history and culture, right? When does Pocahontas's canoe ride open up in the America pavilion?

I see nothing slips past you.

I don't understand your point (seriously, not trying to be sarcastic :) )

Pocahontas was a real person who lived in (what is now) the US.

Frozen is a fictional story that takes place in a land very much inspired by Norway/Scandinavia.

Epcot already features other made-up characters (Snow White, Belle, Mary Poppins) inspired by a particular country or region.

I think you mis-read the announcement. The pavilion is not changing to Arendelle - it will still be the Norway pavilion. It will just have a Frozen-themed ride.

Nope the ride will have Zero to do with Norway. It will be about the movie Frozen.

I am crossing this Movie off my list permantly. Locutus is dead.:thumbsup2 Other countries have characters but the fictional movie doesn't take over the entire country. At least the Frozen child lovers will have another place to see A&E. I will gladly give my place in line to them.

I have mixed feelings.

First of all, I have seen Frozen many times and while it is cute, I personally believe that it is not the most amazing thing I have ever seen. My step-daughter (who still believes Tangled is the best movie) thinks it is great, and my youngest niece(who is 4), is obsessed with it and The Little Mermaid. So much so that she TRULY believes her real name is Ariel Elsa Alaina :lmao:...but it is just Alaina :)

That said, I do agree that there is a need for a Frozen ride (at least at this point of time...before the "fad" fades out) BUT I don't think that EPCOT, especially in World Showcase, is the place for it.

Welp, now that rumor's all cemented. Can't say I'm going to be too fussed about it either way. Any other Frozen/Maelstrom agnostics want to share my popcorn? popcorn::

I don't really care either. After this trip we won't even be coming back until after Avatarland is finished. In fact most of the changes at Epcot don't really mean that much to me. I'm a bit bummed about the construction at AK but I understand why it's happening.

I used to think I was a huge WDW (the destination itself) fan, but not so much after reading all the posts from passionate fans on this board!:rotfl:

I read it just fine, thankyouverymuch. Arendelle doesn't belong in NORWAY at all.

Nope the ride will have Zero to do with Norway. It will be about the movie Frozen.

I am crossing this Movie off my list permantly. Locutus is dead.:thumbsup2

OK I get it.

But I think it's unfair to say it has "Zero" to do with Norway - Frozen is very much inspired by Norway/Scandinavia.

Also if you boycott Frozen on these grounds you should also boycott Snow White, Belle, Mary Poppins, who also show up in Epcot.

;)

I love Maelstrom dearly, and will miss it, but it's hard to ignore the fact that it is a dated ride with limited appeal. I'm not sure Frozen is the best replacement, but it's hard to judge a ride with such limited information, so for now I'll remain cautiously optimistic (with a heavier emphasis on the former). I do wish they would announce a closure date for Maelstrom. While I'm not holding my breath, it sure would be nice to get one final ride in.

there's a link in another thread stating Frozen ride is scheduled for completion in 2016.

Woo hoo!!! As the mom of a 5yo Frozen fan we're excited for all the upcoming changes!

Also, if there are going to be potentially 2 locations to meet Anna and Elsa, hopefully that will make it more possible for all to meet them who wish to!

Has anyone "screen shot" that announcement?? It could disappear... ;)

Our family will miss Maelstrom. DD8 and DS9 are both looking forward to a Frozen ride, but I must say we were unanimous that it should be elsewhere and not displace Maelstrom.

We'll live. All kinds of pretend stuff/characters around Epcot already. I'm not that much of a purist. And we'll probably end up liking the ride. But must admit I'm not thrilled.

Maelstrom was honestly my favorite ride in ALL of Epcot. I loved the tackiness of it! I understand that change needs to happen and I am not angry over it, but I am sad to see it go...as long as the actual ride part stays the same! I love going back, back over the falls ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter