It's Happening...Frozen at Epcot

Really, really, really upset about this. I loved Maelstrom and now I probably won't be able to ride it before it gets the Frozen treatment… :worried:
I'm more upset by this:

The pavilion will also include a royal greeting location where Anna and Elsa can meet our guests.

Unless they house a large queue out the back (or left side) of Norway, it'll turn into the same horrendous crowds they had in the spring.

I just told DH this, and his response:

"Good! At least they might end up with something good then!"

This from my cynical husband, who prefers museums and nature to Disney films any day, yet was completely underwhelmed by almost everything in World Showcase... he told me the other week (the same man who said WDW would be a once in a lifetime trip) that he would like to go back to WDW when they have another hit film like Frozen because "the Frozen events were some of the best things we saw all week"...

To be honest, after all the hype, we were both underwhelmed by Maelstrom. Wouldn't wait more than 5 minutes for it as it is. Let's hope Frozen gives it a new lease of life! :)

I'm not the world's leading Jim Hill cheerleader, but I'll admit he got this one right. :thumbsup2

What is the over/under on this thing opening by June? It would be a game-changer for my daughters on our next trip.

I'm ambivalent about Maelstrom, but I'm thrilled about Anna & Elsa being in the MVMCP parade, Queen Elsa lighting the castle, and the sing along, play area, and shop at DHS. DHS will be much more fun for us this year!

So then if I am going to WDW week before Thanksgiving, nothing will be happening at Epcot yet but I can expect Frozen sing-a-long at HS and Anna and Elsa will be part of the Wishes show?? Did I understand that correctly. I need to pick my fast passes next week and need to rethink HS FP now.

I Have a confession I HAVE NEVER SEEN FROZEN.

That's said I can see why they need a Frozen ride but I had hoped they would put it another park.

How about HS where they despartely need Family friendly rides?
How about MK where Fairy tale characters frequent?
AH well another section I can avoid in Epcot. I'll be in Mexico at the BAR

I'm more upset by this:

Unless they house a large queue out the back (or left side) of Norway, it'll turn into the same horrendous crowds they had in the spring.

Well there is a lot of space between Mexico and Norway, so there's a good chance they'll build out that way

So then if I am going to WDW week before Thanksgiving, nothing will be happening at Epcot yet but I can expect Frozen sing-a-long at HS and Anna and Elsa will be part of the Wishes show?? Did I understand that correctly. I need to pick my fast passes next week and need to rethink HS FP now.

can you meet E&A at Hollywood studios? or no pics w/them? totally new to all this so not sure where to learn/read all about them

I'd bet a decent amount that it won't be ready for June. At least not if they're creating a truly different ride and not just adding snow and throwing an ice castle over the oil rig. I'm fine with it. Norway hasn't been supporting the pavilion .. There's no reason for Disney to continue supporting tourism for their country. I do hope it's a step up from the Nemo ride. I also think it's great for them to have a M&G there. It'll double availability for those FPs and is a much better use of the space than that movie no one wants to watch (I am assuming that's where it'll be).

Welp, now that rumor's all cemented. Can't say I'm going to be too fussed about it either way. Any other Frozen/Maelstrom agnostics want to share my popcorn? popcorn::

Here is where they are failing, IMO. Epcot desperately need more attractions. Closing one of the only ones that require FP for another FP attraction is a step sideways, not forward. They need to add, not just replace.

Don't worry. Soon we'll have the Mulan ride in China, Snow White experience in Germany, fly an umbrella with Mary Poppins in England, Read along with Belle in France, Jasmine's Flying Carpets in Morocco and Pinocchio's Whale of an Adventure in Italy (gotta have a token for the boys...maybe). There's plenty of princessing up to be done with World Showcase yet.

I don't have a huge problem with this. I enjoy Maelstrom but I have always thought it a bit lame and disjointed. I ride it maybe every other visit. I will miss "Go Away! Go Away!" from the trolls though.

I Have a confession I HAVE NEVER SEEN FROZEN.

That's said I can see why they need a Frozen ride but I had hoped they would put it another park.

How about HS where they despartely need Family friendly rides?
How about MK where Fairy tale characters frequent?

But NO we have to put it WS where it does not belong and has a vague connection with Norway. :mad: I have every intention of giving the place a WIDE berth.

We are the Borg--er, I mean the Cult of Frozen. You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to Arendelle's own. Resistance is futile.

Maelstrom_Frozen_Overlay_Olaf.jpg

I loved Maelstrom, but I understand things have to change with demand. The ride was great but that film was dated beyond belief.

But most interesting is going to be the stampede at opening to get in line at the bridges to World showcase which doesn't open till 11am. Thinking that reservations for breakfast in the World Showcase will increase by about 100%. :rotfl2:

We are the Borg--er, I mean the Cult of Frozen. You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to Arendelle's own. Resistance is futile.

AND I am PICARD. I can shoot you down. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:lmao: Yes I have seen a lot of Star Trek.

I'm sad mainly because my family has a lot of warm memories connected with this ride.

The funniest one was that it was the first ride my mom went on back in 1991, and when it started going backwards, my mom exclaimed, "I don't like this!"

My immediate thought was, "great, we just got here and virtually all attractions are ride-throughs, so what sort of vacation will this be?"

Fortunately, she ended up loving it (and the entire trip).

I don't mind new stuff, but I am feeling a little sentimental at the moment. *le sigh*

I posted this on the Disney Parks blog...I fully expect it will never see the light of day:

World Showcase at Epcot is a showcase of REAL ACTUAL countries...of which "Arendelle" is NOT. It is a fictitious land made up for a fairytale movie and therefore a ride about such place has no place in World Showcase. It would be fine if it was a Norway ride with characters from Frozen giving a tour of the country (like the Gran Fiesta Tour in Mexico). I'm very disappointed in this announcement.

BTW...I'm not against a Frozen ride (though I thought it was the worst of all Disney movies). It just doesn't belong in EPCOT. Hollywood Studios or MK? Sure. When Epcot is SCREAMING for added attraction capacity, they go and change an existing ride rather than add more rides and attractions??? There are freaking abandoned buildings in the park!! WEAK Disney. WEAK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter