It's gonna RAIN!! What SHOES do YOU wear??

okienick

Mouseketeer
Ok...we leave for Universal/WDW Thurs, Sep 3. It's likely going to be raining, maybe a little more than usual b/c of that ***** Erika. Read lots of hurricane/weather posts on here about folks recommending no sneakers (tennis shoes for us, Okies). :) SOOO...I don't usually go without my comfortable tennis shoes at WDW b/c of so much walking, but now, I'm wondering if I should be bringing a different pair of shoes due to the wet factor. What do you all wear when it's raining? I'm looking for comfort and function. I've seen some folks say crocs or flip-flops. I have a pair of chacos, so I'll probably bring those. What do you all wear that is comfortable, can get wet, and dries quickly? And WON'T cause blisters?? GO!!! TIA.

Whatever sandals work for you. Do not wear anything that requires socks. Ideally bring a few different options so you can always have something dry and ready back at the hotel. Nothing worse then heading out the day after a storm with still damp shoes.

Crocs aren't the best on wet surfaces. I agree with Ladyfish about the crocs & flips. not great for all day wear for me. I think maybe the best solution is to have an extra pair or two of shoes such that if your favorites get wet, you can switch out until they dry out.

Tevas! Crocs and flip flops would be horrible on all the slippery pavement. We were there for a week in August several years ago and it poured several days straight. Epcot was under water, just a giant 4 inch puddle. Slogged through in our Tevas and they dried up quick when we went inside.

I wear Teva Tirra's mostly. They done very well for several trips when it rained all day for nearly 4 days straight. And they dry within a couple of hours usually.

I also have New Balance Tennis shoes - the kind without the holes in the fabric - for times when I'm sick of getting my feet wet. Usually in the evening.

And if you own rain boots put in a nice comfy liner and wear those sometimes. I find switching out shoes helps keep my feet happy.

Like others I can't wear flip flops or crocs so they'd never work for me.

Looks like you have had plenty of advice on what to wear, but If some one does end up with wet shoes I have read that stuffing them with news paper helps with drying them.

Havaianas ... I love them! Actually after living in Florida for 14 years they are the only shoes I own:)

I wear running shoes and take spare socks. I change socks at least once per day, and dry/powder my feet. I do this even if it doesn't rain when walking around WDW in the heat. I change to different shoes every day - more often if possible.

Bernie Mevs. I won't wear anything else in the parks at all now, and they dry quickly when they get wet. I can walk in them all day and my feet aren't even tired at the end of the day. I usually wear the comfi or cuddly style in the parks. You said you are an Okie-- if you happen to be an OKC Okie, they carry them at Shoe Gallery. If you buy a new pair, you want to at least wear them one day for 2 or 3 hours before your trip. The first time you wear them, as they are stretching to form to your foot, they can feel a little tight after a while. When they start feeling tight after a couple hours, I take them off that first day. The next time, I put them on, they are good to go the entire day. Oh- one other thing- the sizes can run a little funny. I wear a 7.5 U.S. size, and have a wider foot. I wear a 38 or 39 in Bernie Mevs depending on the shoe. (The 39 is supposedly about an 8.5 based on the sizing chart, but there is no way).

As far as preventing blisters, pick up some Body Glide and put it all over your feet in the morning. I am very blister prone and I have not had a blister at WDW even once since I started using it. Before, I would get them every Disney trip. They typically carry it at most bike shops, and Dick's sometimes carries it. You can also get it online, but since your trip is pretty quick, I don't know if you have time for that.

Last edited:
Bernie Mevs. I won't wear anything else in the parks at all now, and they dry quickly when they get wet. I can walk in them all day and my feet aren't even tired at the end of the day. I usually wear the comfi or cuddly style in the parks. You said you are an Okie-- if you happen to be an OKC Okie, they carry them at Shoe Gallery. If you buy a new pair, you want to at least wear them one day for 2 or 3 hours before your trip. The first time you wear them, as they are stretching to form to your foot, they can feel a little tight after a while. When they start feeling tight after a couple hours, I take them off that first day. The next time, I put them on, they are good to go the entire day. Oh- one other thing- the sizes can run a little funny. I wear a 7.5 U.S. size, and have a wider foot. I wear a 38 or 39 in Bernie Mevs depending on the shoe. (The 39 is supposedly about an 8.5 based on the sizing chart, but there is no way).

As far as preventing blisters, pick up some Body Glide and put it all over your feet in the morning. I am very blister prone and I have not had a blister at WDW even once since I started using it. Before, I would get them every Disney trip. They typically carry it at most bike shops, and ****'s sometimes carries it. You can also get it online, but since your trip is pretty quick, I don't know if you have time for that.

Already know about the body glide. Thank you! Do you wear socks with the Bernie mevs?

Already know about the body glide. Thank you! Do you wear socks with the Bernie mevs?

No socks-- which means no soggy socks if it is raining!

Here is what the styles I wear to WDW look like (I didn't see the cuddly on the website, but the charm is very similar)-- I have these in a few colors, but I like the silver the best:

http://www.shoegalleryonline.com/shoes/bernie-mev-shoes-comfi-1035576

http://www.shoegalleryonline.com/shoes/bernie-mev-shoes-charm-2-1044103

They come in a lot of other styles too if you don't like these- I just find that for me these are the best for walking at WDW. Actually, I've worn the Cindy in the parks too if you want more of a sandal style- those were great for all day walking too. I alternated between the comfi and the Cindy at DL last month.

Last edited:
I always wear croc flip flops rain or shine at WDW. Not older ones but the ones that have good treads. I'm in Florida & only wear sneaks at WDW during the cold weather or at AK. But def not wearing sneaks during the Erika rain.

I normally wear flip flops one day (teva's) and tennis shoes the next and just keep switching it up but if it was raining the whole time, I'd stick to my teva's. I feel like with rain you wouldn't be walking quite as much. You'd probably be taking it slower and inside a lot more so it may not be as hard on your feet.

We were at Disney World for Monsoon Week in May 2009. We were not expecting that amount of rain (a front stalled over central FL....there was no real rain in the forecast prior to our arrival) so we didn't even have the opportunity to think about bringing different shoes based on the forecast. We had more than 12" of rain over the 7 days we were there (more than they had with the 3 hurricanes combined a few years earlier....at least that's what all the weather reporters were saying while we were there.). Epcot was one big puddle and one day when we got off the monorail at MK, it was raining so hard that we couldn't see The Contemporary and the water at the bottom of the monorail station ramp was so deep that it went mid-way up the calves of our legs. People were bunching up on the ramp because no one wanted to walk through it and the CM's were pretty much doing everything they could to make people keep moving and walk through it. We wore athletic shoes every day and survived. Fortunately, I always make everyone pack at least 2 pair of shoes when we go on vacation and that proved to be essential that week. We'd wear a pair one day and then stuff them with dry towels or washcloths overnight (I would have brought a newspaper or two for that if I had known we were going to have so much rain) and then pull those out in the morning and let them finish drying throughout the day while we wore our other pair of shoes. I did have to do a load of laundry because even though we brought extra socks, we didn't have enough since we were going through 2-3 pair a day. No big deal, though....except that so many people were drying their shoes in the dryers in the laundry room (despite all the signs that said *not* to do that) that I literally had to stand there and wait for someone to take their shoes out and quickly throw my clothing in a dryer before someone else came in with wet shoes. I will still wear athletic shoes during the rain in the future because I have yet to find any type of athletic/supportive sandal that I can wear for more than a few hours at a time without getting pain in my feel, knee, hip, and/or back. I didn't get any blisters from having wet socks and I got used to the "squishing" noises coming from my shoes. :D

Has anyone tried the old putting your foot in a bread bag trick? It has been eons since I have even thought about it but my grandparents used to do that in their snow boots. If time is of the essence (can't buy break in new shoes before trip) maybe try a small plastic bag to put your feet in before
putting on your shoes? Obviously this won't help if the water is inches deep but it could help protect your socks/feet a bit?

the usual sneakers but then that's what I usually wear anyway

Keens. Excellent traction. I slipped in Tevas on wet pavement once and permanently scarred my knee. So no more Tevas for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter