"It's Fast! It's a Blast! It's in the Past!" - A Nov Solo Trip - The Finale

Loving this TR!

We stayed at the BWI during our 2009 trip. Loved it.

I must say...everything looks so empty...especially the Boardwalk and DHS. I mean, of all of these wonderful pictures of the pool area only one of them had an actual person in it.

Here were my plans for Wednesday, day 2.

I planned on opening AK and going to morning EMH. Then I'd be heading to MK for my FP+ and BOG FP+ as well! After that, I was planning on hitting up the **************.net meetup at (what I thought was) 3:30 p.m. Little did I know that today would be a four park extravaganza that had me popping all over the place and getting a ton done! This would probably be my busiest day.

I had the following FP+ for today:

BTMRR: 3:25 p.m.
HM: 5:05 pm
Space: 7 p.m.

Would I use them or not? So far, I'm 1 for 3.

I was up and at it early, since AK opened at 8 a.m. I grabbed a breakfast bar, chugged some diet coke, and ran down the stairs (hey, it was still early enough in the trip I was taking the stairs).

I came out at the wrong place (whoops. I kept doing this my whole trip), so I took a little photo tour.

At about 7:20 I was heading for the bus stop (finally)...

where I proceeded to wait.... and wait.... and wait....... and wait......

There was an employee of BWV just hanging around at the bus stop. That seems like a dangerous position, since really he was just hanging around talking to Guests -- and we were all getting increasingly irritated as MK bus after MK bus picked up for a 9 a.m. opening but no AK bus showed for a 8 a.m. opening.

FINALLY a bus showed (after much grumbling and the start of a real line of complaints from quite a few people) and we were on our way to AK. This was my first encounter with the buses not being the best, but it would not be the last.

It took 25 minutes for an AK bus to come AFTER I arrived at the bus stop, and others had been waiting before me. I wonder how long it actually took between buses? As it was, this bus was dispatched especially for us, as evidenced by the "DAKW" on the front windshield (I was told the "D" stood for "dispatched").

Ack, we're gonna be late!

We finally made it to AK. I really thought that arriving with 40 minutes to spare would get me to the park in time for "rope drop", but instead I was here at 8:06 a.m.:

Ok, not too too bad. A few pictures:

I decided to go to Everest first, then to Dinosaur, and then try to see ITTBAB. This is all I really care to do at AK. I don't have the patience for the Safari, as the idea of getting stuck on a ride because an animal decided to nap in the road kind of freaks me out. I have a rule - don't depend on a live animal.

So I was on a mission.

I just love this ride! I pulled one FP- for it, and then rode again via standby line.

I then headed over to D!. I know most don't like Dinorama, but I really DO. I love carnivals and theme parks, and this just reminds me of those days as a kid, only better. I love the dinosaurs and the goofiness of it.

I also pulled a FP- for D!, and rode.

Not our dino.

I now had a FP- for both EE and D!, so I went back on D! again. My D! FP- came due before my EE one, so I went ahead and rode D! again.

Ok, time to head back to EE.

I was already a little tired of criss-crossing back and forth and decided to just go try to catch ITTBAB. But first, a few pictures of EE, since it's so super-cool.

I know it's not too intense, but I love this coaster!

I saw this and immediately thought of Danielle (IheartDDuck on the Dis):

These yetis looked pretty sober though.

Back for another ride at D!, no line. I held on to my FP-.

I did get into the next showing of ITTBAB; I walked right in, which I LOVE.

You have to admit this is a gorgeous park:

A crowd picture:

It was now only 9:30, but I had ridden EE 3 times and D! 3 times, as well as done ITTBAB. I was feeling tired, so I decided to leave the park and go back for a quick nap before heading to MK. I love my Disney naps!

But here is my second encounter with BWV buses that would leave me with a bad taste in my mouth.

It was a bit chilly out this morning. I thought I'd be fine in my short sleeves and long pants, but I was a bit cold. Oh well, I was leaving. I got to my bus stop and a bus was there! Score!

I waited for the people to get off the bus. Then the bus driver told me they were changing drivers. Oh, ok.

I waited.

And waited.

This seemed to be common for them to change drivers at AK, as this happened to me last trip too, so I just stood in the chilly air in my short sleeves and waited for them to tell me to come aboard.

After about another 10 minutes, the new driver leaned out the door and said "I'm not going to BWV, I've been dispatched elsewhere." He then shut the door and left.

W.
T.
F.

Seriously? All right, well, what can I do but wait?

And I waited.

And I waited.

After about 15 more minutes, another bus pulled up. The people got off and I gratefully went to get on. The driver told me that she was also not going to BWV; she was switching drivers as well but the bus wouldn't be going to BWV once they switched.

WHA....!?

I was really getting irritated now. I'd been waiting almost 30 minutes at this point and had seen two buses come and two buses go. The woman took pity on me and said there had been a bus dispatched for me since I'd been waiting so long. I told her I was very unhappy to see two buses come and go and that I was cold. She talked to the other driver as more people walked up to the BWV stop. Finally, they told me they could take us to the BWV; the two women getting on the bus didn't care where they went, they just wanted to get to DTD so they needed to get to a resort to do so. I wanted to warn them that BWV was probably not the bus-friendly resort they wanted, but perhaps I'd just had bad luck so far!

About 10:30 a.m., and I was back in my room - one park down, three to go. But what's this? My bedroom TV is still not fixed! I NEED TV TO SLEEP, PEOPLE!

Another call to the front desk, and an hour later....

Ah, bliss.

Loving this TR!

We stayed at the BWI during our 2009 trip. Loved it.

I must say...everything looks so empty...especially the Boardwalk and DHS. I mean, of all of these wonderful pictures of the pool area only one of them had an actual person in it.

Thanks so much for saying hello! Appreciate your comments.

It is such a lovely area, but you're right - the resort seemed pretty dead. There was a cold front that moved in right when I came to the resort, so I think that kept most people out of the pool; but the Boardwalk itself wasn't too busy either. However, the parks looked pretty congested to me, but it didn't seem like anyone was RIDING anything!

Those bus situations don't speak well for BWI/BWV! I'm curious if the buses were that bad for your entire stay.

In those pics of EE, it looks like the trains weren't even half full. Was that because it was morning EMH? Was it walk-on, or did you need the FP to return?

Those bus situations don't speak well for BWI/BWV! I'm curious if the buses were that bad for your entire stay.

In those pics of EE, it looks like the trains weren't even half full. Was that because it was morning EMH? Was it walk-on, or did you need the FP to return?

Oh, I'll talk more about the buses. I have plenty to say about those. ;)

I think it was because of morning EMH! I didn't NEED the FP at all; I just walked on every time, even when I went after 9 a.m. I LOVE early mornings at Disney; I can get anything and everything I want to do, done!

Thanks so much for saying hello! Appreciate your comments.

It is such a lovely area, but you're right - the resort seemed pretty dead. There was a cold front that moved in right when I came to the resort, so I think that kept most people out of the pool; but the Boardwalk itself wasn't too busy either. However, the parks looked pretty congested to me, but it didn't seem like anyone was RIDING anything!

Yeah...I remember you said the same thing about Epcot...restaurants and shops empty but quite a few people strolling the walkways. I dunno, for *me*, the walking at Disney is a necessary evil...riding rides and eating is where it's at. I guess we are in the minority.

;)

Hey!!! I'm pretty sure we had TRs going at the same time a couple of years ago (and again now!) and were post in on each others. :woohoo:

I am totally joining in!

Your first day sounded like so much fun!

And I love that you were able to ride so many things so quickly at AK - how I miss being able to go during the less-busy times. :rolleyes:

What the HECK with the bus situation though!!!! I would have been going insane! We stayed at BWI too (our trip was in August, although my report has only gotten through maybe the fourth or fifth day :rotfl2:), and the one thing that consistently went right for us was the transportation! :confused3

I love that bag in the background!

That part freaked me out. I always HATED that witch.

It's those creepy monkeys that freak me out! I literally have to turn the TV off when they come on!!

I'm sorry you had such bad luck with the busses. Not having to drive the entire time I'm in WDW is one of the perks for me, so I think I'd be okay waiting, but probably not THAT long. Bummer.

Can't wait to read more!!!

Of course I stopped in Germany. I took a picture of the favorite candy of my study abroad group. I lived in Bonn, home of Beethoven, but EVERYONE loved Mozart Kugeln!

And at $1.45, they really weren't that expensive either.

I knew I originally quoted this post for a reason... I'm intrigued by the candy... what is it?

Yeah...I remember you said the same thing about Epcot...restaurants and shops empty but quite a few people strolling the walkways. I dunno, for *me*, the walking at Disney is a necessary evil...riding rides and eating is where it's at. I guess we are in the minority.

;)

Yeah! It's been like that for me a couple of times over the past three years when I've went and I thought, "what are you people actually DOING with your day?" It's fine to walk and sightsee or whatever, but RIDE something!! ;)

Hey!!! I'm pretty sure we had TRs going at the same time a couple of years ago (and again now!) and were post in on each others. :woohoo:

I am totally joining in!

Your first day sounded like so much fun!

And I love that you were able to ride so many things so quickly at AK - how I miss being able to go during the less-busy times. :rolleyes:

What the HECK with the bus situation though!!!! I would have been going insane! We stayed at BWI too (our trip was in August, although my report has only gotten through maybe the fourth or fifth day :rotfl2:), and the one thing that consistently went right for us was the transportation! :confused3

Yes we have crossed paths before! I'm currently reading your TR right now, mostly because I was looking for BW TRs and stumbled on yours! I think I posted on there once that I'd be lurking. :laughing:

I can't imagine going back to the busy times; this trip was busy enough for me! :laughing: My longest wait to get on anything was less than 30 minutes, too! I just wonder how low the crowds are at opening during busy times of year. I ride everything I want in the mornings.

The buses were a thorn in my side, and I'm very glad that next year we'll have a rental car! I am really glad to hear that others had great luck with the buses at BWV though, because the resort was so wonderful that I didn't want the buses to ruin it for anyone!

I love that bag in the background!

Thanks! It's probably my favorite bag that I have - I'm a member of the Disney Dooney and Bourke facebook page, and I see some gorgeous bags go up for sale there. I bought one of my current wristlets from that page.

It's those creepy monkeys that freak me out! I literally have to turn the TV off when they come on!!

I'm sorry you had such bad luck with the busses. Not having to drive the entire time I'm in WDW is one of the perks for me, so I think I'd be okay waiting, but probably not THAT long. Bummer.

Can't wait to read more!!!

Those monkeys are... unnaturally creepy. Sideshow quality creepy.

I like not driving in WDW too, but my next trip I'll have a rental since we'll be off property and I'm actually looking forward to it. My mom and I will have a two bedroom timeshare with a full kitchen, and plan on making quite a few meals (we both love to cook) and also going out to eat other places in Orlando. We're already discussing the details. Plus, we're going to head to Universal this trip as well, so having a car will be great - and we're going to book a room there and stay at a Universal hotel one night to have a place to park and get the front of the line passes!

I knew I originally quoted this post for a reason... I'm intrigued by the candy... what is it?

Ah, delicious Mozartkugeln (I'm using it in the plural :thumbsup2).

From Wikipedia:

The master confectioner, Paul Fürst, came to Salzburg in 1884 and opened a shop at number 13, Brodgasse. He presented the Mozartbonbon for the first time in 1890, later producing and selling it in greater quantities as Mozartkugeln. Fürst’s achievement was the production of a perfectly rounded chocolate, with no flat areas. The production process used by the confectionery Fürst has not changed to this day.

First, a ball of green pistachio marzipan covered in a layer of nougat is produced. This ball is then placed on a small wooden stick and dunked in a dark chocolate coating. Next, the stick is placed vertically, with the ball at the top, on a platform to allow the chocolate to cool off and harden. Finally, the stick is removed; the hole that it leaves behind is filled with chocolate coating, and the ball is wrapped in blue-silver tin foil by hand.

So in other words, it's candy produced by an old technique originated by Paul Fürst, with pistachio marzipan, nougat, dark chocolate, and a chocolate coating. They also have some kugeln with almonds, and some other companies make different versions, like this one. You can tell it's not the original by the fact it's not round (or 'kugel' shaped) - or at least that's what I was told.

Holy cripes, the buses!!!!!

We had horrid luck with the buses that week. I hate to complain about it because I know someone else is going to say that they never waited more than 5 minutes for a bus and they were never crowded. We waited for more than 20 minutes to catch buses from POR on most of our trips to the parks and they were almost always packed. It seemed like we had slightly better luck getting from the parks to the resorts.

We too had to deal with drivers switching too. I don't ever remember seeing that in the past but I bet it happened 3 times for us on this trip.

Disney is definitely doing something different with the buses. Probably running fewer to save money. I'm sure they think an extra 5 to 10 minutes waiting won't bother anyone but it is quite noticeable.

Holy cripes, the buses!!!!!

We had horrid luck with the buses that week. I hate to complain about it because I know someone else is going to say that they never waited more than 5 minutes for a bus and they were never crowded. We waited for more than 20 minutes to catch buses from POR on most of our trips to the parks and they were almost always packed. It seemed like we had slightly better luck getting from the parks to the resorts.

We too had to deal with drivers switching too. I don't ever remember seeing that in the past but I bet it happened 3 times for us on this trip.

Disney is definitely doing something different with the buses. Probably running fewer to save money. I'm sure they think an extra 5 to 10 minutes waiting won't bother anyone but it is quite noticeable.

Ugh, what is up with the buses in the "off season"? I had great luck at other resorts in the past and thought maybe this was BWV, but to hear you were experiencing the same thing at POR is pretty interesting and also works towards changing my mind towards that aspect of BWV.

I did take the YC/BC bus one time; it seems like their buses were running pretty well!

Looks like minus the buses a great start to your 4 park day...it is so col to say you did that. We managed to do it on our first trip when my daughter was 4...pretty sure she was asleep for most of MK where we ended the day. Looking forward to more

So sorry to hear that you had bus envy! It might make you feel better to hear that we had the same luck over at SSR last weekend. We waited forever - longer than I ever recall waiting in all the years we've gone to WDW. Waited forever in all directions. I was thinking that it must be because it's the slow season? I don't know. All I know is that it stunk! Time wasted!!!

Joining in! Great report so far!

We were across the way at YC from 11/0-11/16 ---- and were eating dinner in Mexico when you were there and at AK the same day too!!

Looks like minus the buses a great start to your 4 park day...it is so col to say you did that. We managed to do it on our first trip when my daughter was 4...pretty sure she was asleep for most of MK where we ended the day. Looking forward to more

I think this was only my 2nd four-park-one-day-bonanza! I did hit at least one ride at every stop! Well your daughter can still say she did it - even if she was sleeping. She was there, right???

So sorry to hear that you had bus envy! It might make you feel better to hear that we had the same luck over at SSR last weekend. We waited forever - longer than I ever recall waiting in all the years we've gone to WDW. Waited forever in all directions. I was thinking that it must be because it's the slow season? I don't know. All I know is that it stunk! Time wasted!!!

Agreed, it WAS time wasted. Nothing productive about it. Still it doesn't swear me off park hopping; it was just irritating. It's worse to come home and see the time stamps and know that YES, it was as long as it FELT.

Joining in! Great report so far!

We were across the way at YC from 11/0-11/16 ---- and were eating dinner in Mexico when you were there and at AK the same day too!!

Oh wow!

I took your bus once. I jumped on a YC bus, took it to YC, got out, walked through the lobby and out the back door, ran down the plank to the lighthouse, and got right on a boat to the Boardwalk! :banana: That was my best transportation story from this trip!

Were you using Josh at easywdw's plans too? I was just trying to stay ahead of the crowds.

Yes we have crossed paths before! I'm currently reading your TR right now, mostly because I was looking for BW TRs and stumbled on yours! I think I posted on there once that I'd be lurking. :laughing:

I can't imagine going back to the busy times; this trip was busy enough for me! :laughing: My longest wait to get on anything was less than 30 minutes, too! I just wonder how low the crowds are at opening during busy times of year. I ride everything I want in the mornings.

The buses were a thorn in my side, and I'm very glad that next year we'll have a rental car! I am really glad to hear that others had great luck with the buses at BWV though, because the resort was so wonderful that I didn't want the buses to ruin it for anyone!
Phew! I'm so glad to know that I didn't just imagine all that! :rotfl2:

Gah - I think you probably did pop in on my TR, didn't you? There is seriously something wrong with my brain!!! Can I blame it on turning 44 and spending all my down time with a REALLY talkative 6 year old????

I have to admit - going in the heat and crowds of summer was less than ideal. If we are going to do that again, we will have to learn to enjoy the resort a lot more and be less wedded to the parks. :confused3

I hate that your transportation experience was so bad. I am really glad that ours was good because our crowd/heat/grumpy index was pretty high even WITH good transportation! :laughing:

Phew! I'm so glad to know that I didn't just imagine all that! :rotfl2:

Gah - I think you probably did pop in on my TR, didn't you? There is seriously something wrong with my brain!!! Can I blame it on turning 44 and spending all my down time with a REALLY talkative 6 year old????

I have to admit - going in the heat and crowds of summer was less than ideal. If we are going to do that again, we will have to learn to enjoy the resort a lot more and be less wedded to the parks. :confused3

I hate that your transportation experience was so bad. I am really glad that ours was good because our crowd/heat/grumpy index was pretty high even WITH good transportation! :laughing:

Ha, yes, you were right! I think I popped on pretty early and then got stuck planning my trip and languishing on TRs since I was following PTRs pretty heavy. I am just now starting to catch up with TRs.

I remember when I was a kid, the only time we EVER went to Disney was June or July. I remember waiting in a three hour line for Space once! The line was all the way back and under the TTA! We always had a blast though (obviously, since I still love it as an adult). But now that I have the choice on when to go, I'll definitely avoid it. If you have a little one and have to worry about school, then your choices are limited too, and kind of already made for you!

However - I couldn't keep myself at the resort regardless of crowds! I just gotta be in the parks somehow!

When I woke up from my short nap, I decided to go ahead and head over to MK.

But I was disgusted with the buses at this point, so what is a girl who is within walking distance of Epcot and the monorail to do?

That's right! She decides to walk to Epcot and take the monorail! Excellent deductive skills!

I really do love this walk.

I think the BWV are even more beautiful than the YC, and that's really saying something for me.

I also paused for this picture, and had some fellow tourists give me a weird looks over it (why??):

It was almost 1 p.m. and my BOG FP+ wasn't until 2:15 - 2:45, so I had plenty of time. I thought I might stop for a quick ride in Mexico, but as I walked into Epcot, something else was calling for me!

I hadn't ridden the newest iteration yet; when I was here last year it was still down for the refurb to turn it into Tron Track. I had heard a lot of foul epithets launched in its' direction ever since, so I wanted to ride it myself and make a decision.

Why yes I AM a single rider! I guess I'll go right on in!

WOW was the inside DIFFERENT! It looked nothing like the old TT:

I thought it was interesting that if you do single rider or FP+, they take you past the big room where everyone designs their cars so that you can see what you're missing. :laughing: I can see, however, where that might entice some people to take that route later on instead of FP+, FP-, or single rider.

Not me, however; I was not interested in the design process. I grabbed a white card to store my design in the tiny little design room, finished someone else's design on the screen, loaded it to my card, and I was off!

My opinion is that the new TT is better than the old! I like the neon... everything, and I thought it "felt" more thrilling than the last one. I even shrieked a little when the truck came at us. I like this version better - that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

It was now after 1, so it was time to head to the monorail to head to MK!

I always wonder WHY this ramp is SOOOO long, but I KNOW it's because of all the hordes of people who walk up it at the end of every day. It just seems to go on forever! And there's no bathrooms or anything; you get your kid to the top and they gotta go? Enjoy the walk back down!

About halfway up, there was a man on a scooter. He was stopped completely. I was just about to ask him if he needed help when he started up again. I struck up a conversation with him; his ECV was acting up and he wasn't too sure he'd make it all the way up the ramp. We walked together for the last part of the ramp, then he stopped again. I walked over and told one of the employees he was having issues; I'm not sure if they could help or not but it was worth a try.

Finally, we all boarded (including the man on the scooter; it appeared he was doing ok again), and headed off to MK.

I was so excited to be going to eat at BOG, and to ride some of my favorite rides. It was very odd that I had been to every other park so far, but not MK - which of course is everyone's favorite. :laughing:

We passed the massive parking lots on the way in.

I have always been very impressed and interested in parking lots. Imagining the sheer numbers of cars that each carry, most likely, at least two people; trying to figure out capacity by parking lot area; judging crowds at any venue by where the cars stop. Yes, folks, I'm exciting.

But what's this?

We got to the TTC, and there was no ferry running. Two CMs were telling people "bus or monorail! Come on folks, take the bus!" I struck up yet another conversation with one of these CMs; they told me that the ferry wasn't running due to high winds and they were having people take either the bus or ferry. The buses were much faster according to them, so after thinking about it for just a moment, I decided to trust them and go with the buses.

Good choice. Our bus pulled right up, filled up within minutes, and was off quickly.

Next thing you knew, I was HERE:

18-ish minutes between my monorail door picture and the bus station picture. Now THAT'S service!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter