It is HOT and CROWDED

I made that comment last week several times. It was like a British Invasion. I know I talked to one family who had just gotten out of school about 2 weeks ago. Odd to us as we go back tomorrow but it was the start of their summer. Maybe that's why there were. But we saw way more this year than we have on the same week in past years

We actually didn't find the heat so bad last week. It's been hotter here in SE TN.

It's true! Our Walmart is like Lil England! But I love meeting new people, its just pushing our area even more and a destination for the world.

That's what I've been trying to tell everyone, heat in FL doesn't even hold a candle to KY/TN sweltering, no air moving (unless its a tornadic storm!) and humidity like crazy. We've only been around 90/95 tops. Every day in KY, it was 99-102 before the heat index!

I'm delighted! Because it's been a super fun summer with fairly great weather (minus a few predicted drenchers) and I won't have icestorms and 10 inches of snow in the winter!

It's the humidity that gets to you more than the heat. Temperatures have been around the mid 90s but the humidity makes it feel more oppressive. We were in Las Vegas in mid June and it was over 110 degrees every day, yet the dry heat was more tolerable. Factor in tens of thousands of bodies and the hot, humid and crowded mix in a theme park in Florida is a recipe for discomfort.

It's interesting to me that one of the WDW insiders here on the Dis just commented yesterday how slow things have been there lately. We try to tour off season and pick the lightest crowd days, but it still seems like the place is teeming with people.

And don't get me started on the Brits. The way they act all courteous and polite, always pleasant. Don't they realize it's every man for himself??? ;)

We just got back last night as well. We go this time every year and it was noticeably much more crowded at MK this year. The other parks all seemed rather empty though (fair to note we don't do the big scary rides though). With FP plus we scheduled the bigger headline rides and never waited that long, but you could barely even walk in MK. The heat was also really strong this year. Stayed at All Star Movies for the first time ever and couldn't have loved it more! Really great quiet resort. Also noticed that the restaurants seemed very unfilled. We had deluxe dining this year so were eating a lot more often, but we often showed up very early for our reservations and were taken right away each time. Wondering if this is because free dining is right around the corner? We did free dining one year and will never do it again as it was just so crazy crowded. Also noticed that it seemed about 2/3 of voices I met had British accents!

I really LOVE the jolly ol' Brits :)
I'll take the them over the crazy chanting tour groups any day!!!

Perhaps Disney is redirecting whom they market to...
I agree 100%. I think a huge difference is that they tour as families or at least smaller groups. After many July visits I have decided that the biggest problem with the tour groups is that they move through the parks and from ride to ride in groups of 50-100. Groups that size are disruptive by their size alone.

It's interesting to me that one of the WDW insiders here on the Dis just commented yesterday how slow things have been there lately. We try to tour off season and pick the lightest crowd days, but it still seems like the place is teeming with people.

And don't get me started on the Brits. The way they act all courteous and polite, always pleasant. Don't they realize it's every man for himself??? ;)

We typically go to Disney in October, when I'm certain 99% of the guests are either (1) British or (2) from Indiana. It's like a niceness convention!

LOTS of international visitors which really surprised me--so it's not the last minute before school starts crowd. Many visitors from British Isles.

My job does a lot of business in europe and it seems each country has their own month off for holiday so it doesnt' shock me. Also the exchange rate makes it a low cost vacation option vs staying around europe.

Aug is so insanely hot, crowded and wet. We noticed tons of Canadians last year. I think they tend to go back after labor day. We started talking to one family on the bus one day and they told us they were from Canada. The son, who looked about 13 or 14 said he ran into 4 families from home!

Aug is so insanely hot, crowded and wet. We noticed tons of Canadians last year. I think they tend to go back after labor day. We started talking to one family on the bus one day and they told us they were from Canada. The son, who looked about 13 or 14 said he ran into 4 families from home!

Yes - at least in Ontario all schools go back the Tuesday after labour day :)

We also got back yesterday. Hot, but fun, family reunion. My immediate family regularly visits Disney in mid-winter (to celebrate DD's birthday and play hooky from school), but picked August this year to accommodate our extended family's schedules. We couldn't change the weather, so we just rolled with it. Some very busy days in the parks. . .

We also just returned--we were there August 1-10. We found the crowds very manageable. Yes, it was hot but not unbearable. There was actually a nice breeze most of the time. We did not wait longer than 10 minutes for any ride. FP+ and rope drop were excellent. We also found it very easy to book more FP's at the kiosks. We had a blast!

The week before Labour day is when we go. I'm in Canada and school goes back the Tuesday after Labour Day. I really like late August because the crowds are lower with the southern schools all back. I definitely notice that there are a ton of Brits and Canadians at that time and I'm sure it's mostly school schedule related. Personally, I love the heat and being able to wear shorts and tees all day/night and never having to worry about a sweater. There are so many opportunities for cooling down in shops, rides and restaurants (we book several TS a day and the rest/cool down is a big reason why) that the heat really doesn't bother me all that much.

The week before Labour day is when we go. I'm in Canada and school goes back the Tuesday after Labour Day. I really like late August because the crowds are lower with the southern schools all back. I definitely notice that there are a ton of Brits and Canadians at that time and I'm sure it's mostly school schedule related. Personally, I love the heat and being able to wear shorts and tees all day/night and never having to worry about a sweater. There are so many opportunities for cooling down in shops, rides and restaurants (we book several TS a day and the rest/cool down is a big reason why) that the heat really doesn't bother me all that much.

We are going next weekend, we usually go a week later but with University activities commencing early we moved it. I hope the crowds are good!:tigger:

We went last year in Aug., 25th-Sept. 2nd, first summer trip. I hadn't been to Fla. in the summer since college (QUITE a few years ago lol) and I was terrified of the heat. Yes, I said terrified. I despise the heat, but with older DS going into Jr. High I figured we should give it a shot as our options of when we could go would now be more limited.
I was pleasantly surprised at how well we all did! It was hot, actually as a pp said the humidity is what gets you. But it wasn't as bad as I'd thought: you just have to be smart about being outside all day in it. Granted I was pretty much thinking of nothing better than hell so my expectations were really low! As for crowds-none. I had been reading that crowds seemed lower this summer, at least in July, but maybe they're on the rise now?? Anyway, not sure how the crowds will be but we're going again this year 8/29-9/6 since we don't start school until 9/8, but we're only doing Universal this time at older DS's request :sad1: I guess if I can survive the Florida summer heat, I can survive Florida w/o Disney........

Another Brit Here.... We always come over in July / August ! We want heat, We want Sun , We dont mind rain ( well not to much ) :thumbsup2
Crowds should hopefully drop of a little over the next week, With FP+ and lower crowds the parks normally work well for us this time of year !!
Arriving on Wednesday for nearly 3 weeks, cant wait now ! Yes Disney push advertising always on TV, Radio & Cinemas, We do get some good deals :rotfl2:

We typically go to Disney in October, when I'm certain 99% of the guests are either (1) British or (2) from Indiana. It's like a niceness convention!

That is so funny you say that. I am from Indiana, born and raised, and was JUST talking to someone from out of state who thought it was odd that I am always smiling, holding doors, and striking up conversations with random people. I told him I found it odd when people don't do it! :)

We went last year in Aug., 25th-Sept. 2nd, first summer trip. I hadn't been to Fla. in the summer since college (QUITE a few years ago lol) and I was terrified of the heat. Yes, I said terrified. I despise the heat, but with older DS going into Jr. High I figured we should give it a shot as our options of when we could go would now be more limited.
I was pleasantly surprised at how well we all did! It was hot, actually as a pp said the humidity is what gets you. But it wasn't as bad as I'd thought: you just have to be smart about being outside all day in it. Granted I was pretty much thinking of nothing better than hell so my expectations were really low! As for crowds-none. I had been reading that crowds seemed lower this summer, at least in July, but maybe they're on the rise now?? Anyway, not sure how the crowds will be but we're going again this year 8/29-9/6 since we don't start school until 9/8, but we're only doing Universal this time at older DS's request :sad1: I guess if I can survive the Florida summer heat, I can survive Florida w/o Disney........
I feel the same. We went last August for the first time, I was so nervous about the heat. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and we got a lot more done than I thought. Granted, there were some really hot days, but we ducked into gift shops, went on indoor attractions and drank lots of ice water. We spent most afternoons at the pool or relaxing in our rooms. Some of the evenings felt pleasant. We're going back next week. Hope I feel the same way!

I can do Disney when it's hot or crowded but not both, especially the August/summer heat and humidity. Our first family WDW trip was in August and DH and I still joke about how the humidity slaps you in the face as soon as you walk out the door - at 9am!:laughing:
The positive was that it was late August and the crowd level was reasonable and we had both value season rates and the kids stay/play free discount promotion.

Yep, we go every August and walking out of your cool air conditioned hotel feels exactly like that - even in the morning - the August heat is no joke!!

Here's how we make it work traveling with 2 heat sensitive kids: We try to do the parks for an hour after a 9:15 character breakfast. We get back to our resort pool by 12, stay there for the day. Have dinner ressies usually at 5:30 & do the parks after that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter