It’s a wheelchair and I’m a grown adult

It's all part of the "magic" of Disney. There are a LOT of folks there who are part-time users; many never need a mobility device except during their trips to WDW. So to them, a CM calling their rental ECV a "chariot" or a "land speeder" is kinda funny, and all part of the Disney bubble. In 50+ years of regular attendance at WDW, I have never seen or heard a CM call anyone's mobility device (or stroller, for that matter) anything that could be construed as intentionally offensive or mean.

To those of us who are full-time permanent mobility device users, it can be a bit less... charming, unless you are ready to play along with the CMs. Most of my family is autistic, so they are mortified at the idea of "participation" at WDW, but I enjoy it whenever the opportunity presents itself. I am always there to act my shoe size, and not my age!

Probably what bothers me most is when I get this from another Guest (usually with a certain amount of snark) "Must be *nice* to be able to sit down..." Yeah, no, it's not. I would literally trade everything I own to be able to walk independently again, and to never have to use a mobility device again. But sure, I drive this stupidly expensive chair because I'm too lazy to be bothered to walk... 🙄

Personally, I don't mind being called "friend"; we noticed that Disney started using "Friend" during the pandemic when CMs were trying to remind folks to keep their masks on. So, I'm guessing that "Hey friend, please keep your mask on" just sounded... more friendly than "Yo, dude pull up that mask!" 😉
nice to see you again. missed you

We sometimes travel with a kid in an obviously permanent wheelchair. The cast members make an effort not to mention it at all, unless they are asking a question they need to ask about logistics. Then, they ask in character for what they are doing. Sometimes, they try to ask it discreetly to an adult.

It's the idiot guests making comments, geez. If someone says this stuff about a kid in a wheelchair, there's nothing I can do for them. I mean yuck yuck, aren't you jealous this kid has a chair in the line. I've wanted to call them out more than once...

My gripe is when other adults look at me in my ECV and then tell someone in their party "I should have gotten one of those!"
I have aggressive rheumatoid arthritis and cannot physically manage the parks. I would trade ANYTHING to not need this ECV.
Maybe they were being genuine when they said that? Not everyone realizes how much walking is involved or how out of shape they really are.

I know this isn't universal, but my personal experience has been that there is a higher than average concentration of cast members with terrible people skills working at the Haunted Mansion.

My personal theory is that either the fact that they're not expected to be the typical Disney brand of cheerful, bubbly, and smiley brings out the worst in some people, or that CMs whose people skills aren't up to par get shuffled there in the hopes that guests will write it off as them being quirky and spooky.

I also despise those "must be nice" comments. I'm always tempted to be a major wise-*** about it, but it would take too much precious time and energy.

I have noticed that the prevalence of adults using baby talk in general seems to be getting worse and worse over the years, and that does kind of make me uncomfortable.

Maybe they were being genuine when they said that? Not everyone realizes how much walking is involved or how out of shape they really are.

It's *possible* that was their motive. However...

It has been my experience that folks who are curious about using ECVs and/or wheelchairs (rentals) while on the ground at WDW will usually approach and ask more direct questions like "Where did you rent that?" or "Can you tell me about renting a scooter here?" or something similar.

When you reach the point where you know you have to start asking, you tend to focus so as to not lose any more of your vacation time. My husband once wisely noted that the most precious thing at Disney World is our time there, because it goes away all too fast.

The "Must be nice to have a place to sit..." comment is typically from a very specific type of Guest.

I was more “offended” when on the last trip they called my 55yr old self “your majesty” instead of princess for the first time lol. I really laughed and commented “dang I must now be old” to my daughter who honestly really thinks she is a princess at 19 and agreed that I was old. I was also “offended” when they didn’t card me for alcohol. (Note not offended at all but I pretended to my daughter that I was by these things. Really just thought they were funny at the time and still do)

LOL If anyone gets close to saying I'm royalty, I'mma whip out my portable travel tiara, and watch out, because The Queen will be in the house! 😂

I know this isn't universal, but my personal experience has been that there is a higher than average concentration of cast members with terrible people skills working at the Haunted Mansion.

My personal theory is that either the fact that they're not expected to be the typical Disney brand of cheerful, bubbly, and smiley brings out the worst in some people, or that CMs whose people skills aren't up to par get shuffled there in the hopes that guests will write it off as them being quirky and spooky.

I also despise those "must be nice" comments. I'm always tempted to be a major wise-*** about it, but it would take too much precious time and energy.

I have noticed that the prevalence of adults using baby talk in general seems to be getting worse and worse over the years, and that does kind of make me uncomfortable.

I believe I recently saw someone here (or someone locally on The DIS) saying that the HM CMs are actually *supposed* to act spooky and weird - no smiles, no cheerful interactions; the idea is keep the "haunted" in the HM.

I don't understand what you are referencing when you said "baby talk". Is that when CMs are playing with Guests, and calling their mobility device a "carriage" or a" buggy" or something similar while they are in character for their land/ride/position? Not trying to be stinky - just want to make sure I am thinking along the same lines as you are.

I was more “offended” when on the last trip they called my 55yr old self “your majesty” instead of princess for the first time lol. I really laughed and commented “dang I must now be old” to my daughter who honestly really thinks she is a princess at 19 and agreed that I was old. I was also “offended” when they didn’t card me for alcohol. (Note not offended at all but I pretended to my daughter that I was by these things. Really just thought they were funny at the time and still do)
When I went to CRT with my daughter, SIL and 2 grands, they called me "Grand Mum". No offense was taken and that is now my DIS name.

Ummmm, they're playing a role--unsmiling and mournful in manner.

It has nothing to do with people skills but rather with the fact that HM CMs are supposed to act solemn, gloomy and unsmiling. It's all part of the required HM ambiance.

I enjoy playing along with them. For instance, upon exiting the doombuggy once last trip, I wished a particularly poker-faced CM, "A mournful afternoon." He gazed at me impassively for a moment, then somberly replied, "And a sorrowful tomorrow to you." Great fun!

We've never found any less than helpful when DH leaves his powerchair for them to park it while he walks with his cane to board the doombuggy.

From my son who is a CM in the college program at the moment, that is a coveted position to work at the HM or ToT.

They definitely aren't supposed to be cheerful or bubbly. I think it's hard to make that translate to "spooky" vs annoyed like you're bothering them sometimes though lol!

Ummmm, they're playing a role--unsmiling and mournful in manner.
Yes; I clearly acknowledged that in my comment. Some of them manage to do that while still being helpful, professional, and courteous, but others very much do not. The ratio of the latter to the former is much higher than at other attractions.

Yes; I clearly acknowledged that in my comment. Some of them manage to do that while still being helpful, professional, and courteous, but others very much do not. The ratio of the latter to the former is much higher than at other attractions.

It seems you perceive HM CMs' manner differently than I do.

I'll agree only in that I feel it would be easier to be a CM there if someone is naturally reserved and is not an extrovert.

I believe in making it right if I screw up. And I owe @Pooh bear 39 an apology. I hope they will forgive me.

I was feeling overwhelmed as I had just returned after a long absence, and when I was replying to them, I failed to remember that this was the quote they were originally responding to:

My gripe is when other adults look at me in my ECV and then tell someone in their party "I should have gotten one of those!"
I have aggressive rheumatoid arthritis and cannot physically manage the parks. I would trade ANYTHING to not need this ECV.

And this was @Pooh bear 39's response to that quote.

And *this* is what I should have said:

Yes. That type of expression is often from people who don't realize that while you may not need an ECV at home in your everyday life, at Disney World it can be very different.

For years, I was able to continue as "normal" at home, and only used an ECV at WDW. In time, I needed to use an ECV at State Fair, and then also at the museum (hey, I linger LOL) and then I had to add the grocery store as well... It was a progression.

WDW is so much harder physically than we realize on the surface. The average Guest walks between 8 & 10 miles *per day*. That alone can mean anything from blisters to backache... Then add on the potential physical stress of sunburn, an unfamiliar (and possible uncomfortable) bed, mealtime and/or medication schedules that may have been thrown out of whack, and the emotional toll of so much Magic and so so many *people*... and to top it off, your Disney World vacation looks *nothing* like the commercials on TV, no matter how hard you try.

It's a wonder we don't have people sitting on curbs all over Disney World, weeping gently into their popcorn buckets while calling the nearest mobility vendor to bring over a scooter STAT.

°O° °o° °o° °o° °O° °o° °o° °o° °O°

Again, I'm so sorry @Pooh bear 39 - I promise I will be more careful in the future.

My youngest daughter is an adult and got her first wheelchair when she was 2 and 1/2 yrs old.
Some other guests called it a stroller, but CMs always recognized it as a wheelchair.
My 2 girls as ’littles’

IMG_1579.jpeg

Ironically, as an adult using a wheelchair, it’s been called a stroller more than once. I’d prefer chariot. (She was not in the mood for a picture here).
.IMG_4430.jpeg

To the best of my recollection that's only ever happened to me at the Haunted Mansion and I wondered why the CM was referring to wheels in that manner. Didn't think it was negative, but I can see how it can be perceived. I actually cringe every time a CM calls me "friend" because it seems so forced and find that more off putting then the chariot comments. Then again I guess it's better than pointing and saying HEY YOU.
The bigger problem with "friend" is that used to be how CMs were supposed to address people doing something wrong. So, if they are a long time cast member, they likely remember that and are having a hard time switching to it being normal.

I am a retired CM (TDS not parks) and we were STRONGLY encouraged to use "magical language". I found it very difficult and disobeyed (it would be a future goal in my reviews lol).

The CMs often try talk to my son in his chair, which is nice, but he is non-verbal so I need to answer their questions for him. But it is nice they are trained to not talk over the heads of guests using a WC.

This thread reminded me of the time we ate at a restaurant in Orlando, not on property, and the waiter kept calling me "Mommy". Repeatedly. I found it weird and even annoying, cringy. I was told by friends later this is common with Latinos, not to be offended in any way. So, I learned something. (I had heard this term used within families of course, adults (who were not her children) calling a woman mommy, but not in the setting of a waiter in a restaurant).

I am a retired CM (TDS not parks) and we were STRONGLY encouraged to use "magical language". I found it very difficult and disobeyed (it would be a future goal in my reviews lol).

The CMs often try talk to my son in his chair, which is nice, but he is non-verbal so I need to answer their questions for him. But it is nice they are trained to not talk over the heads of guests using a WC.

This thread reminded me of the time we ate at a restaurant in Orlando, not on property, and the waiter kept calling me "Mommy". Repeatedly. I found it weird and even annoying, cringy. I was told by friends later this is common with Latinos, not to be offended in any way. So, I learned something. (I had heard this term used within families of course, adults (who were not her children) calling a woman mommy, but not in the setting of a waiter in a restaurant).
Cultural differences are so interesting, aren't they? I do a fair bit of work with countries in the Middle East and they use "dear" a lot more than we do, including in writing. It's rather sweet but a bit jarring (not quite the right word, but it jumps out) at first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter