Issues at Boardwalk possibly due to Food & Wine going on?

momandmousefan

Mouseketeer
Has anyone else stayed at Boardwalk lately and had issues with wild behavior on the Boardwalk late at night?

I’m not talking the usual Boardwalk noise and commotion...basketball playing, normal conversation outside of restaurants, surrey bike bells, kids laughing, and so on.
When we bought into Boardwalk we understood we’d have things like that and it was no big deal.

This past trip though we had three nights in a row of RIDICULOUS drunken behavior. I’m talking fights outside, a man flat out falling on his face, people talking at the top of their lungs outside under our balcony for well over an hour (from 1:00 something to well past 2 am), a gal letting of an ear piercing scream at 1:50 am. It was out of control. The worst part was we peeked out to see what the deal was with the 2 am crowd and saw security outside Jellyrolls just standing around in a group of 4 chatting and ignoring the extremely loud drunks.

I don’t know whether to complain (or whether it would make any difference) Whether this was just a one off weekend, if we just want to avoid this time or year or if this is getting to be a regular thing. As I said, we are no strangers to noise...maybe at 11 pm but well past 2 am for the cost of the Boardwalk seems a bit much.

Last edited:
F&W has always been a bunch of drunks, but it is getting worst. We no longer go anywhere near EPCOT or the BWV/BCV during this 'festival" of who can drink more...

F&W has always been a bunch of drunks, but it is getting worst. We no longer go anywhere near EPCOT or the BWV/BCV during this 'festival" of who can drink more...

We don’t mind a few drinks ourselves, but a few drinks versus a frat party at Disney/ Marci grad vibe is entirely something else. I’m wondering if this is mainly due to the festival or whether the late Boardwalk bar hours and/ or lack of keeping guests in check is making this a year round thing. We are back in January and I don’t know whether we need to request a room as far away as possible or start looking to book outside of our home resort. (Can’t help it....we need a few hours of sleep!)

Disney make a bundle on drinks, so they will not limit anyone. They are all about making money, I do not expect them to do anything about this unless they see income drop. We sold our BCV points a while back to add more points at our other home resorts.

I don't think 2AM drunks has anything to do with Food and Wine (Epcot usually closes at 9PM, 11PM at the latest.)--more likely some locals/college age kids/bachelor/bachelorette parties that were visiting Jellyrolls or the ESPN bar, which could happen at any time of year. We've only had 1 night in a boardwalk view room and didn't notice anything. We've never had noise issues with the garden/pool view or standard view rooms and we've stayed over Columbus Day weekend, Thanksgiving, and both February and April vacations.

I do think you could have complained at the front desk. 2AM is when most of the bars at the Boardwalk close, so they've all been kicked out of the restaurants, clubs, etc...so unfortunately they've all gotten out at the same time...

I don't think 2AM drunks has anything to do with Food and Wine (Epcot usually closes at 9PM, 11PM at the latest.)--more likely some locals/college age kids/bachelor/bachelorette parties that were visiting Jellyrolls or the ESPN bar, which could happen at any time of year. We've only had 1 night in a boardwalk view room and didn't notice anything. We've never had noise issues with the garden/pool view or standard view rooms and we've stayed over Columbus Day weekend, Thanksgiving, and both February and April vacations.

I do think you could have complained at the front desk. 2AM is when most of the bars at the Boardwalk close, so they've all been kicked out of the restaurants, clubs, etc...so unfortunately they've all gotten out at the same time...

Unfortunately most groups looked older than college and things like this went on from 12-2:30 (Isn’t that sad?) and it was more than one night. Probably should have complained at the front desk but we certainly weren’t tromping down there at 2 am and doubted the call center could have done much. We didn't expect it to go on three days in a row so didn’t think to complain and by the third day when we’d REALLY had enough we were going to be checking out.

We’ve stayed several days with a Boardwalk view before (village green too) and never encountered anything like this so many days in a row. Sure, Boardwalk has it’s share of noise, but this was a whole another level. It was crazy.

Unfortunately most groups looked older than college and things like this went on from 12-2:30 (Isn’t that sad?) and it was more than one night. Probably should have complained at the front desk but we certainly weren’t tromping down there at 2 am and doubted the call center could have done much. We didn't expect it to go on three days in a row so didn’t think to complain and by the third day when we’d REALLY had enough we were going to be checking out.

We’ve stayed several days with a Boardwalk view before (village green too) and never encountered anything like this so many days in a row. Sure, Boardwalk has it’s share of noise, but this was a whole another level. It was crazy.
That's also an area for lots of conferences...depending upon what the conference was for, could have lots of partiers at night. (I had forgotten about this..20 yrs ago DH had to work part of Lotusphere over at the Swan/Dolphin and we attended lots of parties at night, and the company paid for our Boardwalk hotel room.)

What dates were you at Boardwalk? Pestworld was at Swan/Dolphin from 10/23-10/26, Medical conference was from 10/26-10/28 at Boardwalk convention center.

Last edited:
Were you there during the Gartner invasion October 14-18? One of the largest IT conferences in the world, and pretty much takes over all the resorts in the Boardwalk area.

Boardwalk view is iffy for us because of past experiences. But they've all been wedding or reception attendees. With Jelly Rolls (and Atlantic when it's open) being the late night party alternatives it's just going to happen. Personally I also wouldn't attribute it to food and wine.

And if you don't get it late at night you get it with carts bouncing along the boardwalk in the morning. Boardwalk view is why I always travel with ear plugs now.

What you experienced is not really a factor of Food & WIne but instead of Atlantic Dance and JellyRolls, and somewhat more so Atlantic Dance. In the over 20 years I have been going to BWV (most of which have been with boardwalk view), there have been episodes like you describe, they do not happen always but you can sometimes have nights of really loud behavior after midnitght and until about 20 minutes after JellyRolls and Atlantic Dance close at 2 a.m. That is one of the reasons why we always request high floor, which helps to minimize the problem.

We stayed in a BW view room two years ago in December and I was woken up around 2:00 AM by a group of people literally screaming and laughing down on the BW for quite a while. Now I try to deliberately not book BW view rooms, which is sad because it's a beautiful view.

It was just this past weekend. I’m pretty much gathering from this that it’s a common occurrence now. Too bad.... I guess we will be trying for standard views more now, since it appears resort management must not care. Thanks for the insight! I guess we will count ourself lucky this was our first experience with it.

We stayed in a BW view room two years ago in December and I was woken up around 2:00 AM by a group of people literally screaming and laughing down on the BW for quite a while. Now I try to deliberately not book BW view rooms, which is sad because it's a beautiful view.

This. As a 25 year member, I have only stayed at BWV one time (I prefer BCV personally), and it was a BW view. Between the super late noise of the people outside, at that time it was the crazy noise of CM's pushing the vending carts in after the end of the day. The sound of the heavy carts' wheels on the boards in the boardwalk?? :scared1: So this DVC member leaves my little space to book there wide open for ya'll that love the BW! :thumbsup2 I still love OKW. :goodvibes

Has anyone else stayed at Boardwalk lately and had issues with wild behavior on the Boardwalk late at night?

I’m not talking the usual Boardwalk noise and commotion...basketball playing, normal conversation outside of restaurants, surrey bike bells, kids laughing, and so on.
When we bought into Boardwalk we understood we’d have things like that and it was no big deal.

This past trip though we had three nights in a row of RIDICULOUS drunken behavior. I’m talking fights outside, a man flat out falling on his face, people talking at the top of their lungs outside under our balcony for well over an hour (from 1:00 something to well past 2 am), a gal letting of an ear piercing scream at 1:50 am. It was out of control. The worst part was we peeked out to see what the deal was with the 2 am crowd and saw security outside Jellyrolls just standing around in a group of 4 chatting and ignoring the extremely loud drunks.

I don’t know whether to complain (or whether it would make any difference) Whether this was just a one off weekend, if we just want to avoid this time or year or if this is getting to be a regular thing. As I said, we are no strangers to noise...maybe at 11 pm but well past 2 am for the cost of the Boardwalk seems a bit much.
We were at BWV last weekend (10/26-10/28) ... very gladly NOT in a BW-View unit. Our "standard view" unit facing the entry from the far, far end of the wing was a very lovely (and quiet) location. That said, we couldn't stand the loud, drunken, obnoxious behavior inside Epcot once the "after 4p" crowd arrived. We thought an early dinner in Japan would be civil ...but it was not. The crowds were yelling at one another, belligerent and just plain ugly. We left the park just after the 2nd Eat to the Beat session (Starship).

Sorry to hear the BW-view was so unpleasant. :(

We have stayed at BWV the last 3 years during October for F&W.
So far, we have never had problems with wild behavior on the boardwalk. 2 weeks ago, I was out watching the performers late, even on the weekends and no problems.
sounds like we have had a much better experience than others.
The only place we have seen unruly crowds is in world showcase on the weekends.

We got home last Fri from a 2 week stay there, in addition to 3 nights start of trip at Dolphin(Wont stay there again, but thats a different story).
While at both resorts, there were at least 2 big conventions going on. The 1st one was rather tame, not so with the 2nd one. In fact, our last night at BW, a fight nearly broke out in the little, normally quite and subdued Belle Vue Lounge. I didn't see it all unfold, but my DW did. Convention fellows came in, one was way past runs, near the pass out stage. They tried to hone in on a wedding party txt wa going on, and before long it came near to blows. Lots of shouting and profanity between both parties. I walked in on the tail end of it, and it wasn't pretty.

I don't think F&W folks have as much to do with it as the convention folks this time. We have stayed at BW several times for F&W and never experienced the behavior as bad as this time

Disney make a bundle on drinks, so they will not limit anyone. They are all about making money, I do not expect them to do anything about this unless they see income drop. We sold our BCV points a while back to add more points at our other home resorts.

Funny you mention this... I sold my BWV points for exactly the same reason. At my age, life is too short to waste time figuring out which room I need to book to deal with the drunks! :headache:

It was just this past weekend. I’m pretty much gathering from this that it’s a common occurrence now. Too bad.... I guess we will be trying for standard views more now, since it appears resort management must not care. Thanks for the insight! I guess we will count ourself lucky this was our first experience with it.

BWV's management really doesn't have a thing to do with it. It's a product of Disney World managements decision to have evening entrainment in this area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter