Island Tower at Polynesian Villas & Bungalows

Was it this thread where someone mentioned that the first X number of purchasers are recognized with a plaque (or something to that effect)? I’ve never noticed anything like that at the 8 DVC properties I’ve stayed at….but I’ve always dreamed of being on the giant board (fence?) at Castaway Cay.
I didn’t know they did that- so cool! I now want the luggage’s that @Sandisw said she got when she bought BPK. Do they always do something like that?

Was it this thread where someone mentioned that the first X number of purchasers are recognized with a plaque (or something to that effect)? I’ve never noticed anything like that at the 8 DVC properties I’ve stayed at….but I’ve always dreamed of being on the giant board (fence?) at Castaway Cay.
Think they did something like that for BLT but not since.

I didn’t know they did that- so cool! I now want the luggage’s that @Sandisw said she got when she bought BPK. Do they always do something like that?
I’m not sure how it works with DVC, but DCL says you can add your family’s name on the installation after, gulp, 50 sailings…and you need to reach 50 before space runs out. Probably cheaper to just buy 1,000 points at Poly. 😭

If if follows suit of RIV, we might see most UYs start with 2024 points. With RiV, Feb and maybe March didn’t start with 2019 but 2020.

Sales for that did start in April with a Dec opening.

With PVB tower, they won’t start until end of June or Jult at earliest…so we might see more UYs not get 2024 points.

What we do know is that no UY, even as part of the same association will get 2023 points since the tower rooms did not exist for occupancy before 2024.

I think that may be the case and sort of also aligns with VGF2. Which launched will all 2022 UY points, but I remember feeling like it was a bit odd my December UY technically didn't even have points for the first 6 months. Though the maintenance fees were pro-rated at least.

I suspect like you that Jan-?April UY's may just not have points until 2025. Unless they are acquiring enough old contracts to break that mould and would also sell Poly1 units, but that would seem unusually generous of them.

Though speaking of... how would favourite weeks work in technicality? Would you just get a bonus year of points before it actually opened?

I think that may be the case and sort of also aligns with VGF2. Which launched will all 2022 UY points, but I remember feeling like it was a bit odd my December UY technically didn't even have points for the first 6 months. Though the maintenance fees were pro-rated at least.

I suspect like you that Jan-?April UY's may just not have points until 2025. Unless they are acquiring enough old contracts to break that mould and would also sell Poly1 units, but that would seem unusually generous of them.

Though speaking of... how would favourite weeks work in technicality? Would you just get a bonus year of points before it actually opened?

I think that the reason that they did not offer contracts deeded to the original VGF building, and won’t with PVB, is that if they do, they have to give current UY points….so, if you had a Dec UY, they’d be giving you 2923 points because the units for long houses and bungalows already exist.

The only way to start everyone with 2024 points or later is to deed only to the new tower….which makes sense anyway.

Honestly, if I had to guess, we will see definitely June UY and beyond, but leave vulnerable Feb to April…though even then, I see only Feb UY as vulnerable…of course, just a guess.

For favorite weeks, the first year would be Dec 2024, and the favorite eeek for the rest would be 2025. So, those who buy, would get the points for year one.

Think they did something like that for BLT but not since.
BLT had tiles (around the inner C fountain). The first ____ families who bought a certain number of points were given a tile. One problem was the tiles didn’t hold up. I believe they replaced them, but honestly have not looked in awhile.

I believe another resort had a quilt on the wall with founding member names. Can’t recall which resort this was, but it was definitely before BLT.

Edit: Aulani also had founding members.
https://dvcnews.com/resorts/aulani-villas/news-46018/1820-aulani-founding-member-gift

Vero Beach has a number of bricks outside on one of the patios with various names listed on them. I have always assumed those to be initial owners or something along those lines. Is that what you're thinking about?

When VGC went up for sale, they started with June and they had a September opening. I have April and that turned me off and I ended up not buying. A decision I regretted when I paid twice as much on resale years later. I am thinking of Poly but only if I can sell my April 2024 points for a credit. Same situation, putting off purchase.

I bought VGF2 right when they opened sales in March 2022.
(Yes, I got the luggage, too. lol)
My UY is October, so I didn't have any current points when I closed.
I had to borrow from my Oct 2022 points in order to stay in BPK the day they opened it in June 2022.

I suspect they will do it the same with the Island Tower.

It's my belief that they will do only cash sales for December 2024 reservations, and not have any points bookings available until January 2025.
They will easily be able to book it full with cash reservations during the Christmas/NYE holidays.

That way all Island Tower DVC contracts will have 2025 points, and on.
No 2024 points will exist.

Also, if there are any issues or delays in the opening, it will only affect the cash customers, whom they can move to any available hotel rooms at the Poly or the Grand Floridian or the Contemporary without too much backlash, just give them an upgraded room level.

I bought VGF2 right when they opened sales in March 2022.
(Yes, I got the luggage, too. lol)
My UY is October, so I didn't have any current points when I closed.
I had to borrow from my Oct 2022 points in order to stay in BPK the day they opened it in June 2022.

I suspect they will do it the same with the Island Tower.

It's my belief that they will do only cash sales for December 2024 reservations, and not have any points bookings available until January 2025.
They will easily be able to book it full with cash reservations during the Christmas/NYE holidays.

That way all Island Tower DVC contracts will have 2025 points, and on.
No 2024 points will exist.

Also, if there are any issues or delays in the opening, it will only affect the cash customers, whom they can move to any available hotel rooms at the Poly or the Grand Floridian or the Contemporary without too much backlash, just give them an upgraded room level.

I think this is ideal, as there's going to be quite a few use years that will be paying the same price but getting less useable years. However, it's never stopped them before.

You also run into a problem with Magical Beginnings, which they've used as a way to mitigate their high price per point. Are people really going to purchase a contract that you wouldn't get points on for almost two years?

I dunno.

I think this is ideal, as there's going to be quite a few use years that will be paying the same price but getting less useable years. However, it's never stopped them before.

You also run into a problem with Magical Beginnings, which they've used as a way to mitigate their high price per point. Are people really going to purchase a contract that you wouldn't get points on for almost two years?

I dunno.

I think they will offer Magical Beginnings for the 2025 points.
For current members adding on, we may not need the 2025 points because we may already have our 2025 trips planned with our current points.
It would be like buying a stripped down resale contract, in a way.
We can also try booking the Island Tower for 2025 at the 7 month window with our current points.

For me, if I can get $20/point or more back with Magical Beginnings, and maybe not have to pay 2025 dues on them, I can use that money to increase the number of points I add on, or cover my down payment, or pay for a DCL cruise.
It would be nice to have the option.

I think they will offer Magical Beginnings for the 2025 points.
For current members adding on, we may not need the 2025 points because we may already have our 2025 trips planned with our current points.
It would be like buying a stripped down resale contract, in a way.
We can also try booking the Island Tower for 2025 at the 7 month window with our current points.

For me, if I can get $20/point or more back with Magical Beginnings, and maybe not have to pay 2025 dues on them, I can use that money to increase the number of points I add on, or cover my down payment, or pay for a DCL cruise.
It would be nice to have the option.

Oh, I think they will too just to continue to mitigate their inflated direct base pricing. However, like in my case I have a Feb use year, if only December gets 2024 points—I'd be giving up two years of points for this contract to use Magical Beginnings.

That's a lot to swallow. I'm already giving up 8 years of points because it's part of PVB.

Oh, I think they will too just to continue to mitigate their inflated direct base pricing. However, like in my case I have a Feb use year, if only December gets 2024 points—I'd be giving up two years of points for this contract to use Magical Beginnings.

That's a lot to swallow. I'm already giving up 8 years of points because it's part of PVB.
For those who don’t specifically need/want a Y card (or access to other restricted resorts), it’s hard to imagine selling back 2025 points and still paying over $200, if you’ll probably be able to buy resale contracts (equally stripped of 2025 points) for $150 or so by early next year (in my opinion).

I’m extremely curious to see what Disney does here— if there are no points until 2025, I think they’d be smarter to sell points at RIV pricing but with a point chart that demands an extremely high point sacrifice for premium view rooms— they can say “2BD Villa, starting at only 44 points a night”— without emphasizing that almost half the year starts over 60 a night for standard view and that TPV could have a 20-50% premium.

For those who don’t specifically need/want a Y card (or access to other restricted resorts), it’s hard to imagine selling back 2025 points and still paying over $200, if you’ll probably be able to buy resale contracts (equally stripped of 2025 points) for $150 or so by early next year (in my opinion).

I only need like 60 more points to have 150 direct points at PVB. Then, I turn around and sell my other 150 point direct contract. So, that's my intention.

I'm downsizing. We'll see how the numbers play out. The only Y benefit I care about is the lounge access, if they continue to roll that out to all the different parks.

The AP discount is usually just a wash for me, if I don't lose money.

I only need like 60 more points to have 150 direct points at PVB. Then, I turn around and sell my other 150 point direct contract. So, that's my intention.

I'm downsizing. We'll see how the numbers play out. The only Y benefit I care about is the lounge access, if they continue to roll that out to all the different parks.

The AP discount is usually just a wash for me, if I don't lose money.
Makes a lot of sense to me. If you’re only purchasing a small number of points, the delta between direct and resale will be smaller in any event. May be a lot longer before contracts under 75 return back into the $150 range resale….but also, I didn’t think you could do MB with less than 100 points? 🤔

Makes a lot of sense to me. If you’re only purchasing a small number of points, the delta between direct and resale will be smaller in any event. May be a lot longer before contracts under 75 return back into the $150 range resale….but also, I didn’t think you could do MB with less than 100 points? 🤔
Magical Beginnings requires a direct purchase of 150+ points and you must take it on all the points.

Magical Beginnings requires a direct purchase of 150+ points and you must take it on all the points.
When I bought VGF last Sept, I split into 2 contracts (each individually below 150, but collectively over) and was given the opportunity to choose whether or not I wanted MB for each contract (one of which was below 100 points!)— not sure if that will be the case for Poly Tower, but thought I’d throw it out in case it helps anybody!

Now, less than a year later, I am (of course) regretting that I don’t have all those points to use, but I did enjoy getting what was effectively a 12% rebate check at the time.

When I bought VGF last Sept, I split into 2 contracts (each individually below 150, but collectively over) and was given the opportunity to choose whether or not I wanted MB for each contract (one of which was below 100 points!)— not sure if that will be the case for Poly Tower, but thought I’d throw it out in case it helps anybody!

Now, less than a year later, I am (of course) regretting that I don’t have all those points to use, but I did enjoy getting what was effectively a 12% rebate check at the time.
Very interesting. You can definitely take Magical Beginnings on contracts less than 100 points if you purchase over 150 points, but I was explicitly told you could not buy 150 points split up as a 100 point contract and a 50 point contract and only take Magical Beginnings on one of the contracts. I know someone that had to sell all 300 DLH points they purchased split as two 150 point contracts if she wanted the 300 point developer credit tiered promotion even though she wanted to keep 150 points.

I am not saying your guide didn't say you could do it, just curious if there are any reports of Quality Assurance actually allowing it when guides and promotional materials state it must be on all 150+ points purchased?

Very interesting. You can definitely take Magical Beginnings on contracts less than 100 points if you purchase over 150 points, but I was explicitly told you could not buy 150 points split up as a 100 point contract and a 50 point contract and only take Magical Beginnings on one of the contracts. I know someone that had to sell all 300 DLH points they purchased split as two 150 point contracts if she wanted the 300 point developer credit tiered promotion even though she wanted to keep 150 points.

I am not saying your guide didn't say you could do it, just curious if there are any reports of Quality Assurance actually allowing it when guides and promotional materials state it must be on all 150+ points purchased?
No idea since I only convinced myself to buy (more) VGF with MB… the guide affirmatively encouraged me to think about whether I wanted to keep my 2022 points on the smaller contract after we had set up the larger one, but I resisted temptation, so we’ll never know. She struck me as efficient and competent overall but she could have been mistaken. Given that we now know VGF was nearly sold out by early Sept, it would surprise me if they were actually making exceptions to the written policy.

facebook twitter