Is working backwards from X still the best strategy for making 60+X reservations?

Do you mean trying for harder to get reservations at the end of your trip? If so, then yes that is what I did for my booking window for my Map trip and I got everything I wanted. Granted my only two higher demand reservations were Homecoming and Jiko, but I was able to grab a reservation for both on the last two days of my trip. I did see places like Beaches & Cream, Be our Guest, Ohana dinner and Cinderella's Royal Table in the middle of my booking window so it's not impossible to grab those in the middle vs the end of your trip.

To expand on that... general availability is less on 60, 60+1 etc than later in your trip. You would start there trying to get reservations IF you didn't have any hard to get ADRs on your list. If you are trying to get really popular ones (Smugpugmug mentioned a few... Space 220 and Sci-Fi Dine In are also tough to get), you have a better chance of getting them if you plan for them to be at the end of your trip AND try to reserve them first when your 60+10 window opens. Once you try for those hard ones, go to trying to get the earlier-in-your trip ADRs and go forward from there.

To expand on that... general availability is less on 60, 60+1 etc than later in your trip. You would start there trying to get reservations IF you didn't have any hard to get ADRs on your list. If you are trying to get really popular ones (Smugpugmug mentioned a few... Space 220 and Sci-Fi Dine In are also tough to get), you have a better chance of getting them if you plan for them to be at the end of your trip AND try to reserve them first when your 60+10 window opens. Once you try for those hard ones, go to trying to get the earlier-in-your trip ADRs and go forward from there.
So if my harder to get ones are at the end go there first then assuming nothing else too hard or no exact priorities then just go back to day one and forward? Correct?

Granted we had 4 people searching when our window opened. 2 went from last day to first and 2 went first day to last. The first to last group were able to get Ohana dinner, and CRT breakfast pretty quickly, both for the times we wanted. The last to first group got 50’s PT lunch and BOG lunch at the times we wanted.

This is just for information purposes, YMMV.

Granted we had 4 people searching when our window opened. 2 went from last day to first and 2 went first day to last. The first to last group were able to get Ohana dinner, and CRT breakfast pretty quickly, both for the times we wanted. The last to first group got 50’s PT lunch and BOG lunch at the times we wanted.

This is just for information purposes, YMMV.
Funny we did the same without even planning it but with just two people. It definitely worked out we got most of what we wanted and if not what we wanted then close enough!

Forgive me, but why is Sci Fi hard To get? Did something change there?

DHS increased popularity, no outstanding restaurants, especially QS, in the park, okay prices for Disney and fun theming.

I had no issue getting it for 60+6.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!