Is TRON at MK Pooh-Sized Friendly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched a video on YouTube from the cast preview and the creator didn't fit on the light cycle. He said there were quite a few people who were having issues. He said that for him the issue was calf size and that the restraints couldn't lock. He rode in the regular seat and said it was still great and enjoyed it.

I'm worried about my husband if calf size is the issue. He's a stocky guy with big legs. I wonder if he has to ride in the back if they'll let me ride with him. I don't want to take a seat from someone who needs it but I also want to experience the ride with him..

A good rule of thumb to remember if a roller coaster goes upside down is if the ride vehicles have over the head restraints. That would mean it very likely goes upside down.
VelociCoaster only has a lap restraint no over the head and it goes upside down multiple times. That said the ride vehicle itself being a simulated bike would not be conducive for upside down. It's like Hagrid's which also has a bike side and does not go upside down though has speed and banks and drops and curves.

I remember being really worried about FOP and was able to fit just fine so I'm hoping I can do this. My husband is very tall so I'm interested to see if the restraint will hit right about the same as FOP does for him which he can ride that also just fine.

From all my worry about calf size and all that I think the thing to keep in mind is that all of our bodies are different. Our height can make a big difference as well as our proportions for where things hit. I have a very short torso and proportion to my height my legs are more but I'm short as well. How I fit may be very different than someone else.

A size 14 (and most of us women know this) means very different depending on how you carry your weight, your height, your proportions, etc. So I wouldn't get bogged down by a report that a size X can't fit. FOP and Tron's restraints are primarily back and calf it would appear. Someone with wider hips could do just fine but not be fine on another ride that is more bucket style seating although I do see Tron has flaps on the side of the back restraint that FOP doesn't have so that may hit someone with wider hips differently but it does seem more forgiving than a bucket style seat. Without being too much TMI for me with my short torso sometimes restraints hit right at the chest level and I have to keep an eye on that. I was fine with Tron (oops I mean FOP) there with a tad bit of adjusting since you're pushed up against the display. (Edited ride name).

I do think we need more and more videos over time to get a better idea. I def. benefited easing my concerns by getting a lot of videos from FOP before going on it in 2017.

Last edited:
My husband is 6’3 with an athletic build and most of his height in his torso. He had no trouble fitting on the coaster in Shanghai (doesn’t recall even being close to any limiting factors)— and we did it a few times each trip.

I am just over 100lbs at 5’4 and found it a little bit awkward (similar to FOP) but loved the ride enough that it didn’t matter (I don’t like FOP enough to put up with the awkward claustrophobic feeling).

Not true.. Velocicoaster at US only has a lap bar and goes upside down.

But Tron has no loops. :)

Yes, a lot of the more modern roller coasters these days are being designed to have lap bars only, even with inversions. The European coaster companies like B&M and Intamin (who designed Velocicoaster) view having smaller restraints as desirable for a better ride experience. Now these lap bars are certainly a lot more restrictive than, say, big thunder mountain (which you’d probably be fine on without any restraints at all). But it’s still nice to not feel cocooned in your seat.

The last row, some trains, have conventional seating. They will accommodate larger guests.

My opinion, that means Tron is Pooh friendly.

The last row, some trains, have conventional seating. They will accommodate larger guests.

Yes, it will accommodate larger guests.

The issue (at least that is being reported from CM previews) is that those who need the larger seats are having to wait an additional 30 min for them to be available because only half of the trains have them. If that is the case during previews, it will likely be that much worse when the ride actually opens.

I mean, I hope this isn't the case, but it's the fear.

One of the things to keep in mind also is that if you have to ride in the back seat and you have a child, that other back seat is going to be taken up with that kid. So it's not like you're putting two inconvenienced guests back there at time--you're most likely putting 1 and then their under 14 kid.

The issue (at least that is being reported from CM previews) is that those who need the larger seats are having to wait an additional 30 min for them to be available because only half of the trains have them. If that is the case during previews, it will likely be that much worse when the ride actually opens.

There is a big difference between not being able to ride and having a longer wait. Waiting could be a real big issue for VQ or standby if priority is given to $ILL.

My standby comment is future driven

To me this does not make the attraction experience "pooh friendly".

Sitting on a bench seat is no different than any other coaster anywhere. Riding the "motorcycle" while on a coaster track is a special and unique experience - that can't be replicated on the bench.

So for folks "who identify as pooh" they may not be able to experience Tron as a cycle coaster.

It's too bad they didn't learn after Flight of Passage but unfortunately these cars were designed for Shanghai (rumors were 2 were built and this has been in storage) so it was too late.

NOTE: If you have ridden on Hagrid's Motorcycle and the Side Car ~ there is a huge difference in the ride experience between the two seats. At least Hagrid's is highly themed outside the vehicle.

DH finds FoP uncomfortable but goes on it. He's 6'9" and slim. I'm wondering how Tron will be for him.

DH finds FoP uncomfortable but goes on it. He's 6'9" and slim. I'm wondering how Tron will be for him.
So my husband is over 6 ft 5 and very slim as well. There's still several inches difference between him and your husband but what part is uncomfortable for your husband on FOP? Does he feel scrunched down? I'm wondering if Tron not having a box basically around you like FOP does will help? Then again I wonder if where he knees hit might be too far off the knee area...hmm I hope my husband doesn't have that issue either.

This is the knee part I'm talking about
1675545017695.png

Okay so to add to this list we need tall peeps to give us some feedback!

How does it compare to Hagrid or Escape from Grignotts? I wasn’t able to fit on those but lost some weight and was able to the last time I was at Universal in December. I can fit on FOP now, the cast member used to have to push on the restraint for it to lock but now I don’t need that extra push. Just worried I won’t be able to fit on the bike.

My husband is 6’3 with an athletic build and most of his height in his torso. He had no trouble fitting on the coaster in Shanghai (doesn’t recall even being close to any limiting factors)— and we did it a few times each trip.

I am just over 100lbs at 5’4 and found it a little bit awkward (similar to FOP) but loved the ride enough that it didn’t matter (I don’t like FOP enough to put up with the awkward claustrophobic feeling).
WDWNT reported they used the exact same size seats as Shanghai, no change for the American market. Obviously stupidly cheap of them considering how much bigger Americans can be so our sizes vary a lot more in general but for a reference point if you fit in Shanghai, you’ll fit in FL.

WDWNT reported they used the exact same size seats as Shanghai, no change for the American market. Obviously stupidly cheap of them considering how much bigger Americans can be so our sizes vary a lot more in general but for a reference point if you fit in Shanghai, you’ll fit in FL.

I don't know if this is true, but what I heard is they always knew they were going to build 2 of them so they ordered the ride vehicles at the same time. These have just been sitting in storage. So, yeah, they're exactly the same.

There is a big difference between not being able to ride and having a longer wait. Waiting could be a real big issue for VQ or standby if priority is given to $ILL.

I don’t see how that would work. At the time you request those seats you’ll probably be past the lockers and the LL merge point.

So my husband is over 6 ft 5 and very slim as well. There's still several inches difference between him and your husband but what part is uncomfortable for your husband on FOP? Does he feel scrunched down? I'm wondering if Tron not having a box basically around you like FOP does will help? Then again I wonder if where he knees hit might be too far off the knee area...hmm I hope my husband doesn't have that issue either.

This is the knee part I'm talking about
View attachment 737315

Okay so to add to this list we need tall peeps to give us some feedback!

Rode TRON in Shanghai over a dozen times and I was 6'3, 290 lbs the last time. My legs are quite muscled from walking with steel toes shoes all the time, so I had no issue with the metal knee bars. The big thing to realize is that the leg rest moves and you really need to take advantage of that to fit. I am built like a pro wrestler with a large gut and I had zero issues with TRON in Shanghai.

Your main goal is moving your legs into the good position as you pull the cycle handles toward you, not taking a good selfie which is what I suspect is happening with the cast members trying out the Florida version.

tron-lightcycles-power-run-shanghai-disneyland-7.jpg

That's what the restraints look like in the default position. I suggest kneeling down on the seat and lay your legs on the moving leg rest. Push your legs all the way forward, tip-toeing if need be and it will give you the best chance at getting the metal bar secured.

Rode TRON in Shanghai over a dozen times and I was 6'3, 290 lbs the last time. My legs are quite muscled from walking with steel toes shoes all the time, so I had no issue with the metal knee bars. The big thing to realize is that the leg rest moves and you really need to take advantage of that to fit. I am built like a pro wrestler with a large gut and I had zero issues with TRON in Shanghai.

Your main goal is moving your legs into the good position as you pull the cycle handles toward you, not taking a good selfie which is what I suspect is happening with the cast members trying out the Florida version.

That's what the restraints look like in the default position. I suggest kneeling down on the seat and lay your legs on the moving leg rest. Push your legs all the way forward, tip-toeing if need be and it will give you the best chance at getting the metal bar secured.
Thank you for this! It's extremely helpful!!

There will also be issues with DAS. 30 min wait and its only on CM previews? That wait is only going to grow. 30 mins or longer will end up excluding Pooh sized DAS guests unless they have an alternative waiting method for them.

@TheMouseKId maybe consider editing your original post to include a link to this comment above as a suggestion for future folks who come here? You can get the hyperlink by clicking the number on the upper right of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter