Is this special, or just creepy?

I'm a very laid back person. I don't get bent out of shape over many things.

I wouldn't mind it at all and DD would be THRILLED. I would even take my own pics of it. She would probably talk about it all day.

:goodvibes:goodvibes

Personally I think it is great what OP's DD is doing. There is just too much negativity and too many haters in this world. I would much rather hear about someone like the DD doing what she did rather than hearing about someone loosing their gun in Animal Kingdom.

We've actually had several occasions where CM's have whipped out autograph books for DD to sign when she was all dressed up. She ate it up! Maybe not all kids would, but she loved the attention.

One time, she was dressed up in a custom Mary Poppins outfit...the Jolly Holiday one. Complete with parasol, the works. Absolutely adorable, if I do say so myself. She got loads of attention that day and many people took her picture. I actually appreciated if they asked, because really, they could've just taken it. We did have several groups of what I believe were Japanese girls that wanted to be in the picture with her. Seemed a cultural thing and didn't bother me or DD, who would've happily posed with the entire park, led the parade, whatever I'd let her get away with.

Autograph book..can't see the problem with that. But these days, if you wish to specifically photograph a child who belongs to someone you don't know, you'd best ask the parent. It's assumed now that all photos will wind up on the internet and some parents just don't want that.

It was a very cute and sweet gesture but I would probably not be up for the pictures being taken of my child.

What a shame; the picture taking would make the little princess feel even more important and special than just giving the autograph. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that so many people have problems with the photos but I just don't see the issue. Some folks just can't relax.:(

It's not fair to dismiss how a parent feels though. They have every right to say "No I don't want you talking to or taking pictures of my child" for whatever reason they want.

Mara Wilson (the little girl from Matilda, Mrs Doubtfire, Miracle on 34th st, etc) just wrote an article about child stardom and in it she mentions that someone had taken a picture of her as a child and put it on the head of someone on an adult website. I don't recall when that picture was found but it's reasonable to assume whoever took that picture did it with "the best intentions" and someone got ahold of it and did what they did with it. My point is that original picture was made available to the public, be it online or in a magazine. With how people post pictures on twitter, facebook and instagram and any number of other sites, anyone in those pictures to a lesser extent is also put out there for public consumption. I'm sure those pictures are taken with the best intentions and no one ever thinks that anything bad will happen with those pictures but frankly it can and does. Not that I'm saying everyone who takes a picture of a child is going to do this but it's a possibility.

On google there's a way to search pictures. They recommend doing it on dating sites, that you somehow use the picture posted on the site and google it to see if maybe it was stolen and someone is faking who they are. If you can do that, is it so far a stretch for someone to find a picture of a child and do the same thing in a way where they obsess over the child? Not at all.

There are plenty of real entirely valid reasons why someone wouldn't like to have a picture taken. There's also parents who might just say no. They're allowed. To say anyone is being overly paranoid or protective, that's no one's call to make here. It's the right of the parent to say no. Their reasoning really doesn't matter in this argument.

I have a 5-year old very girly girl. I think if a sweet 16-year old asked her for an autograph and a pic while she was all princessed up, she would be thrilled! But, it has to be truly genuine. But then again, I always give pic permission in school and camp consent forms. I am a glass half full person who thinks most people are truly kind.

It sounds like your daughter should be encouraged to follow a future career in Disney. Do I see a future cast member?

My twin daughters were 11 when they did BBB back in 2008. After they were done with the makeover we started walking down Main Street. Now, being identical twins they always garner a bit of attention (even now at nearly 17 they still dress alike and get noticed because they are so identical).....but the attention they got that morning was so magical. A Photopass guy stopped and ask them if they would pose for him....then took them up and down the street doing portraits with all different buildings behind them not just the castle.....they had a group of Asian tourists gesture that they wanted to take photos with the girls (something that ordinarily would freak me out, but I understood WHY).....there were 4 or so of them and each had to stand with the girls while another snapped several photos......the Dapper Dans came over and sang to them on bended knee.....oh heavens they felt like real live princesses. We finally made it to the photopass place for their photo-shoot and who came walking out but Mary and Bert and they ended up with probably a 10 minute totally private discussion since we were inside the building and no one noticed us!

All this to say that all that attention is exactly what they wanted and absolutely positively made their day!

I do agree with the other posters though that some caution needs to be taken to be sure that you don't frighten a shy little one.....and the idea to ask mom/dad first might be wise......most times though a minute or two of observing can tell you if a young princess is shy or outgoing. Sounds like OPs daughter is aware of this particular issue and should be able to make the right choice.

Spreading pixie dust is one of my favorite things.....I'm not sure parents would feel comfortable with this middle-aged Pooh sized woman going up to their kid, but I just may suggest it to my now nearly 17 year olds.....to pay back some of the love they received!

Teen girl asking little princess for pic and autograph: ok. Grown man doing the same: creepy.
Somewhere out there is a pic of ds at age 5 with a group of teen girls he chatted up while in the ToT ride. He'd been on the ride 8 times that day and it was this group's first ride. They thought he was the cutest little guy (they were right!).

My twin daughters were 11 when they did BBB back in 2008. After they were done with the makeover we started walking down Main Street. Now, being identical twins they always garner a bit of attention (even now at nearly 17 they still dress alike and get noticed because they are so identical).....but the attention they got that morning was so magical. A Photopass guy stopped and ask them if they would pose for him....then took them up and down the street doing portraits with all different buildings behind them not just the castle.....they had a group of Asian tourists gesture that they wanted to take photos with the girls (something that ordinarily would freak me out, but I understood WHY).....there were 4 or so of them and each had to stand with the girls while another snapped several photos......the Dapper Dans came over and sang to them on bended knee.....oh heavens they felt like real live princesses. We finally made it to the photopass place for their photo-shoot and who came walking out but Mary and Bert and they ended up with probably a 10 minute totally private discussion since we were inside the building and no one noticed us!

All this to say that all that attention is exactly what they wanted and absolutely positively made their day!

I do agree with the other posters though that some caution needs to be taken to be sure that you don't frighten a shy little one.....and the idea to ask mom/dad first might be wise......most times though a minute or two of observing can tell you if a young princess is shy or outgoing. Sounds like OPs daughter is aware of this particular issue and should be able to make the right choice.

Spreading pixie dust is one of my favorite things.....I'm not sure parents would feel comfortable with this middle-aged Pooh sized woman going up to their kid, but I just may suggest it to my now nearly 17 year olds.....to pay back some of the love they received!

I'm not knocking your post at all but there's a big difference here in that all that attention came from cast members where there's an inherent trust that they're on the clock and there's set consequences to their actions. If you felt uncomfortable with what was going on and said as much, they would have known to stop based on their training. I'd hope OP's daughter would do the same, or anyone else trying to spread pixie dust but they might not. They might see it as a challenge to show how they were only trying to do good. If something bad happened there was recourse for you to follow. If a regular guest crossed a line, itd just be harder to deal with.

We're talking about a 16 year old girl taking a picture with a 5 year old girl. Not a 40 year old man.

You know how many people are in the backround of my WDW pictures that I have posted online? The same for my kids being in other people's pictures. Especially in the pool. DD in her bathing suit.

I don't see the big deal in taking a picture of my fully clothed DD.

We've actually had several occasions where CM's have whipped out autograph books for DD to sign when she was all dressed up. She ate it up! Maybe not all kids would, but she loved the attention.

One time, she was dressed up in a custom Mary Poppins outfit...the Jolly Holiday one. Complete with parasol, the works. Absolutely adorable, if I do say so myself. She got loads of attention that day and many people took her picture. I actually appreciated if they asked, because really, they could've just taken it. We did have several groups of what I believe were Japanese girls that wanted to be in the picture with her. Seemed a cultural thing and didn't bother me or DD, who would've happily posed with the entire park, led the parade, whatever I'd let her get away with.

That is awesome. What a great memory for her :)

I love love love the autograph part of this! I do not like when strangers take my kids pictures! In the crazy world that we live in....all I can think about is what they might do with my kiddos photos!

I also have 3 girls. A teenage girl asking for my kids' autographs, even a photo, I wouldn't have a problem with. If it was an Adult male, I would likely have a problem with the photo.

People talk to my kids all the time when we are out. As long as I am right there, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I am actually flattered that people like my kids in public!

I'm not knocking your post at all but there's a big difference here in that all that attention came from cast members where there's an inherent trust that they're on the clock and there's set consequences to their actions. If you felt uncomfortable with what was going on and said as much, they would have known to stop based on their training. I'd hope OP's daughter would do the same, or anyone else trying to spread pixie dust but they might not. They might see it as a challenge to show how they were only trying to do good. If something bad happened there was recourse for you to follow. If a regular guest crossed a line, itd just be harder to deal with.

True...but the gaggle of Asian tourist groups were strangers that under ordinary circumstances I probably would have had concern and walked on by after politely declining.....I guess what I was trying to convey was that most of the girls who do BBB are lovers of attention and OP's young daughter granting them all that loving attention can make a little ones day!

I don't know how I'd feel about the photo, but I think the interaction is adorable and my daughter would be completely tickled by it! What a nice way to surprise a kid in a boring spot. Would she do a pirate voice for kids dressed as pirates, too, and pretend they're her long lost Cap'n? :-)

Oh my goodness, people...what have we become? There is such an epidemic of sweet 16 year old girls who go to Disney with their all-American family and seek out unsuspecting little girls to take pictures with and later use them for perverse purposes. I think I missed that Dateline episode. :confused:

Your daughter is wonderful and it would make my little girl's day if she came up and asked for her autograph AND picture...planned or spontaneous.

Oh my goodness, people...what have we become? There is such an epidemic of sweet 16 year old girls who go to Disney with their all-American family and seek out unsuspecting little girls to take pictures with and later use them for perverse purposes. I think I missed that Dateline episode. :confused:

Your daughter is wonderful and it would make my little girl's day if she came up and asked for her autograph AND picture...planned or spontaneous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter