Is this special, or just creepy?

Aubriee...I know I'll never meet you in person, but I just have to tell you, I adore you. You are EXACTLY the kind of person the world needs more of!!

Thank you for BEING the magic!

:hug:

Thank you. My rather long winded point though, was that sometimes the chance to improve someone's day just falls in your lap. Don't let the opportunity to brighten someone's day escape you. Not only will their day be just a little brighter for the surprise you give them, but so will yours, just for the simple joy of giving and seeing the happiness on their face. It may sound a little selfish, but I really, really enjoy the surprise and joy on people's faces, when they are given something unexpectedly. It brightens not only their day, but the giver's.

This whole thread makes me sad :( (Not the original post which was so sweet...but the reaction to the possibility that it might reoccur in the future!)

Why does every interaction we have with people need to be scrutinised to such a degree now?

There will always be bad people in the world....but when we assume that everyone is bad....what hope is left?

I think it's very sweet! If your DD just watches to see their mood or see how shy they are or how the parent react I don't see a problem!

My DD is 16 now but I remember when she was 8 dressed as Jasmine & a family asked if they could take a pic with her ( we happened to be in Morroco) I could tell they had no ill intentions so I agreed & DD was thrilled, she still talks about it..

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & BWI Sept 8-15, 2013

This whole thread makes me sad :( (Not the original post which was so sweet...but the reaction to the possibility that it might reoccur in the future!)

Why does every interaction we have with people need to be scrutinised to such a degree now?

There will always be bad people in the world....but when we assume that everyone is bad....what hope is left?

This really makes you sad?

You really have to look at this from both directions. Yes, maybe some people scrutinize others/strangers way too much.

But, when these spontaneous little moments turn into planned events, that's carrying it a bit too far too.

I remember reading about the Dis fan who got a kick out of the CM's appreciation when they thanked them for something. So then it turned into going to guest services to leave a compliment for certain CM's. Then it turned into printing up cards of appreciation and going around handing them to every CM that smiled at them. That lead to carrying around tons of 'goodie bags' with trinkets and homemade baked goods to give to CM's who looked in their direction.

Little spontaneous 'pixie dust' moments are great for everyone. Dis visitors trying to PLAN these moments seems a bit over the top to me.

I'm not ripping, I'm agreeing. The overreaction of parents to have me snap a photo of their child with a character means I don't get to have pictures of characters because a child might in that photo.

But, if I take a photo of kids dancing around in the Off Kilter area, no one says anything. Or, if I take a photo of the crowd at Star Wars Weekend and their child is in that, no one says anything.

Parents, you do understand that if your child is in ANY photo, there are so many applications out there to enhance that image should that person really want to do it? Your child doesn't have to pose for any photo, their images are out there. How many of you have your kids on your profile right here? You know those can be copied and quite easily.

Yes, there are pervs out there, no question about it. But come on, if you are a parent, wouldn't you feel that vibe?

The bolded portion is such a dangerous idea. No, generally the parents do not feel that vibe, or there wouldn't be so many cases of molestation and abuse.

As for the OP, I think it's sweet when it's an unplanned, natural interaction. I know my 5 year old loved being called "Princess" by some other guests while dressed as Aurora, but I would have felt uncomfortable had any of those guests suggested a photo with her. Yes, I know photos can be enhanced, etc. but it's different to actually encourage a young child to pose with a stranger in my opinion.

You really have to look at this from both directions. Yes, maybe some people scrutinize others/strangers way too much.

But, when these spontaneous little moments turn into planned events, that's carrying it a bit too far too.
I remember reading about the Dis fan who got a kick out of the CM's appreciation when they thanked them for something. So then it turned into going to guest services to leave a compliment for certain CM's. Then it turned into printing up cards of appreciation and going around handing them to every CM that smiled at them. That lead to carrying around tons of 'goodie bags' with trinkets and homemade baked goods to give to CM's who looked in their direction.

Little spontaneous 'pixie dust' moments are great for everyone. Dis visitors trying to PLAN these moments seems a bit over the top to me.

The OP already said these wouldn't be "planned" moments. That her daughter wouldn't be seeking out princesses. I think that's been so missed by everyone. It would be off the cuff. It would be just sensing things. It's not like this teenage girl is entering Disney World with autograph book in hand searching for little girls in princess dresses.

Sorry to all the parents out there who might deny their children an extra special moment because a stranger, in the total view of said parent, would actually want to say something to that child. In total view of the parent. While the child is with the parent. While the parent is in control of the child.

OP, I just have to say your DD is amazing. Many teens I know can be very egocentric. How nice of her to want to spread a little pixie dust to these little princesses on their special day.

I remember on my DD's BBB day, some of the CMs bowed to her and said hello princess. I can only imagine how she would have felt if someone asked for her autograph. She'd been over the moon.

I do agree about no pics but you already stated that she wouldn't do it.

Congrats mama, you have a good egg there!:thumbsup2

The OP already said these wouldn't be "planned" moments. That her daughter wouldn't be seeking out princesses. It would be off the cuff. I think that's been so missed by everyone.

LOL, missed by everyone?

The OP's daughter did this once. The OP's daughter has plans to go back to WDW and do this exact same thing some more. Just what is 'unplanned' and 'off the cuff' about this?

Nothing has been 'missed by everyone'.

I think that is very sweet even if it is planned. My daughter would have been thrilled. I think it is magical - planned or not.

Nobody should go to far, but there is nothing wrong with planning to do little kindnesses the next trip. This fine young lady asked her Dad if she could do that in the future. It is wise to ask, and it is planning.

I have a whole thread asking people for ideas on how to be kind and share the magic. That is planning. Some people, like the article I linked in the other thread, Share the Magic, plan to be kind. That isn't wrong. It just doesn't need to go overboard.

Some have expressed they wouldn't have any problem with photos, autographs, or interactions. some are fine with autographs but not photos, others don't like photo's or autographs. Are some right and some wrong. No.

I think the most important aspect of this subject is that we respect the parents wishes. They are the parents. They may be concerned for a reason other than you. It doesn't matter why, whatever they decide is ok by me, they are the parents.

If I ask to say something to their child, or give them a balloon, or whatever, and they decline, I'll smile and say have a nice day and walk away. It is their vacation, their experience, and they get to set the parameters of that experience.

I won't feel bad for asking, and I won't frown at them. Their choice and I respect that.

The bolded portion is such a dangerous idea. No, generally the parents do not feel that vibe, or there wouldn't be so many cases of molestation and abuse. QUOTE]

Absolutely right! You cannot see whether someone is a pedophile. Someone that acts or looks weird, may be innocent and the most wonderful seeming individual may be an abuser. In fact some abusers make a point to be the nicest people around to get people to lower defenses!" I had a coworker that is going to jail for 12 years due to abuse and I would never have guessed. Seemed like the nicest person!

I'm a nice guy, I would never harm any child in any way. But how do you really know that? You don't. And even if you could see my heart and know it is sincere, you still, as a parent of children, should have boundaries for your children's interaction with others, no matter who it is!

In fact, the great majority of abused children are abused by someone they know! How very sad but true. So when someone looks at me with doubts or wants to limit their children's interaction, I don't get upset. I know me but they don't. They SHOULD be careful!

I interact with young children of friends that are almost family. They still have wise boundaries, and if they didn't, I would anyway. I have a blast with these kids but I would refuse to take them somewhere by myself unless it was an emergency. It is always with my wife, even though they are close friends. It is just wise. I don't want any doubts or even the appearance of evil.

Trust, love, be friendly, and even allow interactions, but set wise boundaries and respect the boundaries of other parents.

This happened a few years back when oldest dd was 5. They were both dressed as princesses but dd5 was Belle and we were on the bridge from UK to France at Epcot and someone asked her for her picture and autograph. She beamed and it made her night. She wouldn't leave that spot just in case someone else was looking for Belle! I would love it and would hope my girls get to do this for little princesses when they get older.

LOL, missed by everyone?

The OP's daughter did this once. The OP's daughter has plans to go back to WDW and do this exact same thing some more. Just what is 'unplanned' and 'off the cuff' about this?

Nothing has been 'missed by everyone'.

From the OP -

"In hindsight, I should have explained that we will not be spending our time in Disney running around looking for Little Princesses! It will be more of a chance encounter, rather than a "random approach". I would never allow my daughter to just walk down main street and stop every princess that walks by, or otherwise interfere with their plans/schedule/day. (this is what the "survey takers" at the other park are for!!!!)"

Thanks for all the feedback. It has been an interesting conversation. For the record...in my OP I should have worded it a bit differently.

In hindsight, I should have explained that we will not be spending our time in Disney running around looking for Little Princesses! It will be more of a chance encounter, rather than a "random approach". I would never allow my daughter to just walk down main street and stop every princess that walks by, or otherwise interfere with their plans/schedule/day. (this is what the "survey takers" at the other park are for!!!!)

If she does this in the future, it will be as it was before, a mutual encounter....with NO pictures, unless the princess' parent requests one!

Thanks for such an interesting original question to start this thread! :thumbsup2::yes:: It gets a little boring reading and commenting on FP windows, bus etiquette, ECV's, FP+, the new Fantasyland, etc... :);)

Dan

It's so hit and miss as far as how people are going to react to something like this I'd just say you'd have to proceed with caution and really think of how the other side would see how your daughter approaches them.

Anyone crossing a shop or coming across a street or approaching a table at a restaurant with that person being focused on my (fictitious at this point) child would freak me. I can imagine if I was trying to calm my child down or if they were misbehaving or something like that and someone even with good intentions came up, again I'd be unhappy. However, in a more casual or for lack of a better word "intimate" way...or really just more subtle, that just has a different energy to it. I could imagine it being received much better if say you and your daughter were in line and there happened to be a BBB princess in front or behind you and your daughter saying in a stage whisper, loud enough for the child to hear but not screaming obviously, "Mom...did you see Belle is behind us in line?!" Then you're right by the parent and can easily gauge their reaction to it and also how the child handles it. Does she hear and suddenly become shy or does she say "daddy, they think I'm a real princess!" ? I've been in line with little ones around me and if it was appropriate started a tiny conversation with them like "Oh I like your shirt? Is Cinderella your favorite?". It's subtle, not overwhelming to the child or parent and you can easily tell if its ok to keep talking or if it's better to just let it go.

I think it's great that your daughter wants to make these kids feel special. It's not something I think anyone should discourage her from feeling. What she needs to be aware of is just that not everyone wants that attention or wants their child getting that attention from a stranger, so how she handles and approaches the situation makes a huge difference. Even if she finds a way to do it where 99% of parents and kids love it, there will be someone who doesn't and she should be prepared for that. I would just hate to hear that she did this and a parent yelled or got really upset to the point where it discouraged your daughter from wanting to ever make a difference.

I personally think that the autograph idea is super cute and makes the kids feel amazingly special.

That being said, I wouldn't be okay with it if someone came up to my daughter from across a bit of space, if we're all in line for something, on the monorail car, or say, waiting for an ADR, then it would be okay. As for the picture, that's something you definitely ask to the parents "she's so cute, do you mind if I take a picture with your princess?" instead of to the child, as they may be all gung ho about it when the parents are more than hesitant!

This is an interesting thread. I never thought to do what the OP said and I don't want to now, but I'll weigh in with special circumstances...

If you go to MNSSHP (which I've been blessed to go to the last 2 years at DLR), I've taken a bunch of photos of guests wearing Halloween costumes (mostly adults, but a few kids as well) and no one objected...in fact, they seemed pleased to have their photo taken and I even posed with complete strangers! But again, it's different circumstances because we were all in costume so that really changed the vibe.

It's hard to say what I'd do in that case since I'm not a mom but I *might* balk at a stranger taking a pic of just my kid.

To add to the subject of pixie dust, someone on another thread suggested carrying Disney stickers to give to kids who are either behaving really nicely or having a meltdown (to cheer 'em up!). I plan on doing that as I think that would brighten a guest's day (and save room in my autograph book for the authentic Disney characters who are paid to sign and have their pics taken. :) )

I wouldn't mind you asking my daughter for an autograph if you were standing next to her in line. I'm not sure if I would want you to randomly approach her, as we specifically teach her not to speak to people she doesn't know. I would mind you taking a picture of her. So, I guess if you can, ask the parents before approaching their little girl.

That being said, I am sad that is my response. I hate that I have to be so cautious, even for what is just a really wonderful, random act of kindness.

OP, you're daughter sounds like a really sweet, kind hearted girl. I hope my own daughter when she becomes a teenager is just that way.

It is always safe to quietly ask the parents if it is okay, and then give a nod to your daughter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter