Is this realistic?

StayCool

DIS Veteran
Ok, I'm looking for motivation. Here's the backstory. I'm about 100 lbs overweight. I'm doing weight watchers and have my good days and my bad days... :blush:

I have finally made reservations for our first Disney trip. While we are down there the 10 mile TOT race is going on. My thing is this; could I actually run it if I start training now? My friend just asked me to do a color run in April so I could start with the couch to 5 k and continue on. I could sign up for the 5k, but the TOT race looks like so much more fun... I'm not going to rush and sign up for anything yet, but I'm thinking it might give me some motivation to follow through. Thoughts?

Thanks! I downloaded a couple of motivational books to my kindle. I really do want to do something. But I hate the treadmill. Right now the snow outside comes up to my knees :sad2: so I don't have a choice. I think I'm going to "run" Tues, Thurs and Sat and do a cardio workout on Weds... Wish me luck!

First off, yay for you!

Second, don't go crazy. Follow a plan and pay attention to your body.

Galloway has plans on the rundisney website, and the one from last year's TOT is up here: http://www.rundisney.com/training/running/ Scroll down to TOT and use the Beginner's plan. The plan doesn't even start until June, so if you start with a 5K program now and then keep on doing it and modifying it and just getting in more practice, I don't see why it's not something you can do.

Now here's my WW advice. As you start your training, consider eating more than just your Daily points, if you aren't already doing that. Running, even walk/running (which is what I do) can burn some calories. If you aren't allowing the Weekly and/or Activity points into your diet, you might end up losing your willpower and making less-than-great decisions. So see how you do, and really keep track. For me, I had to start eating "all points coming to me" or I would just collapse once I really started training. Once I started strength training it got even worse. Or better, if you feel that eating some more food than you were before, and still losing, to be a good thing. ;)

Maybe you won't need the extra food, but you might, so don't be afraid of it. :)

Whenever I exercise I feel hungrier. I've always thought it was just a mental thing, but it is probably true. Do you recommend using a heart rate monitor? I have one and have only used it a handful of times. I think the hardest part is going to be getting up early enough to exercise before work. If I wait until afterwards I just won't do it.

I did C25K a few years ago, and was then more overweight than you, and I made it through. :) I didn't really worry about what I ate while I was running because I knew I was burning more calories, and I often added a 4th run per week. It didn't help me lose weight--maybe that's why.
Good luck!

Whenever I exercise I feel hungrier. I've always thought it was just a mental thing, but it is probably true. Do you recommend using a heart rate monitor? I have one and have only used it a handful of times. I think the hardest part is going to be getting up early enough to exercise before work. If I wait until afterwards I just won't do it.

For most of the time I was losing I did use a HR monitor, and calculated my APs as 1 ap for every 80 calories I burned during exercise. Some people use 100. The most basic way of estimating food points is that it's 40 cal per point, so even if you eat APs you are still at a deficit (burn 80, eat 40).

Once I got near goal and my heart wasn't beating quite as fast while exercising, I found that the tracker was accurate for me.

I gained probably 30 lbs while exercising 3 or 4 days a week. When you aren't keeping track it's too easy to say that an hour on the elliptical allows you half a pizza! Keeping track helped me see that that isn't true. :)

When you ate back your APs, what did you eat? Protein, carbs?

I'm finding that although I still want sweets and carbs I want less of them. I have lessened my portion size even though I haven't been tracking for the last 2 weeks. :faint: I'm starting tracking again tomorrow. I've loaded and prepped my frig with everything for the week so it should go off without a hitch. When I slack on that, my healthy eating habits crumble. But I haven't given up!

At the beginning I used the points to get extra protein with dinner. Someone else watching me might had called those extra points dessert, but I was going to be having real dessert anyway, so it was really for more protein.

As I started running it morphed into more fat. So I eat my normal food then at dessert I'll have my usual 105 grams of real ice cream over scads of thawed berry/cherry blend from trader joes (nothing but fruit in the blend), and I'll put a 28 gram serving of cashews on it.

I've been weirdly fortunate in that I can eat a ton of zero point fruits and veggies, and I don't do fat free cheese or sour cream or ice cream (2% milk when I drink milk, and yogurt varies based on what I'm eating it for), and I eat all points coming to me but have had success. Took 1.5 years but that's ok. Feels short looking back on it. And the length of time (vs losing it in a few months) helped me have relatively little loose skin, given the amount I lost and being in my 40s. So lucky.

Find what works for you. I had a real wake up moment when I fainted after a run once. I hadn't eaten much, didn't have enough water and had accidentally had twice the caffeine I normally do. Got home, got in the shower, and down I went. Was very lucky to not have more than the concussion and shoulder injury that I got. For me, I have to eat to keep my workouts strong and non-fainty. Others don't need that!

And as is obvious from this post, I weigh or measure everything that has points. Since I'm eating so many, I have to be exact.

I say GO for it!!! My husband and I decided to sign up for the 10 mile run for motivation to get back into shape. I did the Family Fun 5K a few years back and it was the MOST fun that I've ever had in my life. I was actually disappointed that it ended so quickly!

I ran 5 miles straight at the gym last week for the first time ever in my life! I was very proud and figured that if I can run 5, on a boring treadmill a the gym, then I can run 10 at Disney World!

YOU CAN DO IT!!

You can do it!!! Find a 5k training program that looks good to you and just go for it. My best advice...only use the program as a guide, if the training program is 12 weeks, don't worry if it takes you 15 or 24 weeks to complete. Don't be afraid to tweak the program to work for YOU. I wouldn't do more than the program calls for, you shouldn't increase more than 10%/week. I have NEVER finished a c25k program, there is always a week that I just can't make the jump it calls for. That is when I just change the program, I don't remember how it goes, but something like a 10 min run, 5 min walk, 10 min run one day and then it jumps to 20 min run! I couldn't do that! I've tried many times and never can. Instead I'd tweak it to 12 min run, 5 min walk, 12 min run, then maybe 14 min run, 4 walk, 8 run. Just tweak it so it works for YOU. Whatever you are comfortable with. You will get to that 3 miles at your pace and then can continue on to work up to the TOT 10 miler!

I say go for it!

My husband and I both had desk jobs--and signed up for the 2012 ToT 10 miler as motivation to get off our rears! We were not people who exercised or ever ran.

It was SO MUCH FUN. pixiedust:

So we did the 2013 Wine and Dine Half next......This was a blast!

This year we are doing ToT again....and ..eeekk....we are signing up for the Disney Full!!

Believe in yourself and you can do it! But be careful--it is SUPER ADDICTIVE!

Totally! :)

Find a training plan that works with your schedule and STICK TO IT! Also, find a local 10K race to sign up for before the 10-miler...you'll gain race-day experience and get a time to use for your corral placement at the 10-miler.

I'd also suggest focusing less on speed when you're first starting...make it your goal to run/walk for 30 minutes and go from there. It'll be tough at first, but if you keep at it it'll get better. Just imagine crossing that finish line and wearing that beautiful medal around your neck!

Good luck!!

At the beginning I used the points to get extra protein with dinner. Someone else watching me might had called those extra points dessert, but I was going to be having real dessert anyway, so it was really for more protein.

As I started running it morphed into more fat. So I eat my normal food then at dessert I'll have my usual 105 grams of real ice cream over scads of thawed berry/cherry blend from trader joes (nothing but fruit in the blend), and I'll put a 28 gram serving of cashews on it.

I've been weirdly fortunate in that I can eat a ton of zero point fruits and veggies, and I don't do fat free cheese or sour cream or ice cream (2% milk when I drink milk, and yogurt varies based on what I'm eating it for), and I eat all points coming to me but have had success. Took 1.5 years but that's ok. Feels short looking back on it. And the length of time (vs losing it in a few months) helped me have relatively little loose skin, given the amount I lost and being in my 40s. So lucky.

Find what works for you. I had a real wake up moment when I fainted after a run once. I hadn't eaten much, didn't have enough water and had accidentally had twice the caffeine I normally do. Got home, got in the shower, and down I went. Was very lucky to not have more than the concussion and shoulder injury that I got. For me, I have to eat to keep my workouts strong and non-fainty. Others don't need that!

And as is obvious from this post, I weigh or measure everything that has points. Since I'm eating so many, I have to be exact.

I did weight watchers successfully for about 3-4 months and lost 27 lbs at one point. Then I slid back into school and away from exercise and watching my diet. I generally do eat most of my points, including the weeklies, but not so much the APs because I'm not super confident in tracking them correctly. My appetite seems to vary pretty widely as well. Some days I'm extremely hungry and want to eat everything in sight and other days I could eat nothing and be good to go. I try to find a happy medium but it seems like my appetite has mood swings! lol

I am going to try to suck my kids into running with me. Maybe let them do the 1 mile run... It will depend on how motivated they are. The only bummer is that I leave on Sunday morning to fly home. I will be exhausted!

I say GO for it!!! My husband and I decided to sign up for the 10 mile run for motivation to get back into shape. I did the Family Fun 5K a few years back and it was the MOST fun that I've ever had in my life. I was actually disappointed that it ended so quickly!

I ran 5 miles straight at the gym last week for the first time ever in my life! I was very proud and figured that if I can run 5, on a boring treadmill a the gym, then I can run 10 at Disney World!

YOU CAN DO IT!!

You can do it!!! Find a 5k training program that looks good to you and just go for it. My best advice...only use the program as a guide, if the training program is 12 weeks, don't worry if it takes you 15 or 24 weeks to complete. Don't be afraid to tweak the program to work for YOU. I wouldn't do more than the program calls for, you shouldn't increase more than 10%/week. I have NEVER finished a c25k program, there is always a week that I just can't make the jump it calls for. That is when I just change the program, I don't remember how it goes, but something like a 10 min run, 5 min walk, 10 min run one day and then it jumps to 20 min run! I couldn't do that! I've tried many times and never can. Instead I'd tweak it to 12 min run, 5 min walk, 12 min run, then maybe 14 min run, 4 walk, 8 run. Just tweak it so it works for YOU. Whatever you are comfortable with. You will get to that 3 miles at your pace and then can continue on to work up to the TOT 10 miler!

Thanks to both of you for the encouraging words. I have started the couch to 5k training program but didn't seem to get far. I'm going to try again and just keep moving. :thumbsup2

I try to follow the intervals in the couch to 5k plan that Endomondo gave me, but sometimes I just can't. So I go as much as I can, and don't beat myself up over it. Every 2 weeks or so it gives me a "go as fast as you can for 12 minutes" workout, and then it adjusts the following workouts based on my progress from one 12 minute run to the next.

The distance is really not going to be the problem, IMO. There are two more limiting factors:

1) - You - Are you in decent health other than your weight? Can you stick with a running program for 8 months? If you are and you can, you will easily be ready for a 10 miler.

2) The ToT 10 Miler is in HOT weather. HOT, HOT, HOT. As long as you understand how to pull WAAAAY back in those running conditions, you will be fine. But even well trained athletes suffer heat injuries every year at this event. So teach yourself strategies for pacing and hydrating in these conditions.

The distance is really not going to be the problem, IMO. There are two more limiting factors:

1) - You - Are you in decent health other than your weight? Can you stick with a running program for 8 months? If you are and you can, you will easily be ready for a 10 miler.

2) The ToT 10 Miler is in HOT weather. HOT, HOT, HOT. As long as you understand how to pull WAAAAY back in those running conditions, you will be fine. But even well trained athletes suffer heat injuries every year at this event. So teach yourself strategies for pacing and hydrating in these conditions.

Other than being overweight I am in good health. Can I stick with a training program? :confused3 I don't know, but I hope so. My life has changed and I'm no longer trying to balance school, work and family. Now it is just work and family. I'm hoping to add in taking better care of myself. I would really like it to be a habit, rather than something I force myself to do. I am going to start tomorrow and see what happens. ;)

As far as the heat goes, I live in NY and there is nothing that compares to FL heat here. So I will just do the best that I can. My goal is to ultimately just finish and not get swept. If I do, well at least I can say I tried and will do better next time! :thumbsup2

Ok, well I got up and on the treadmill this morning. I think the hardest part was just getting out of bed. lol I didn't go far, only 0.6 miles but I figured it was better than staying in bed. I also want to give my body some time to adjust without getting too sore. Tomorrow I will restart the Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred. I *know* I will be sore after that. :crazy2: But it will be a good kind of sore. ;)

Ok, well I got up and on the treadmill this morning. I think the hardest part was just getting out of bed. lol I didn't go far, only 0.6 miles but I figured it was better than staying in bed. I also want to give my body some time to adjust without getting too sore. Tomorrow I will restart the Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred. I *know* I will be sore after that. :crazy2: But it will be a good kind of sore. ;)

Great job! Every day commit to doing something - anything. You will be surprised at how quickly you form better habits, and the day will come when you will have to struggle to stay in bed when your body needs rest instead of struggling to get out of bed.

Great job! Every day commit to doing something - anything. You will be surprised at how quickly you form better habits, and the day will come when you will have to struggle to stay in bed when your body needs rest instead of struggling to get out of bed.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm definitely a work in progress. lol

I just checked on the runDisney site and it says that the TOT is already 50% full! I didn't realize that it would fill so quickly. :worried: I'm afraid to sign up already! It just seems so early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!