Is this realistic?

I don't see any reason to not do it. Just follow the c25k program for that day. It would give you great race experience. There will be people walking it, so don't worry about being a slug. LOL

I don't see any reason to not do it. Just follow the c25k program for that day. It would give you great race experience. There will be people walking it, so don't worry about being a slug. LOL

I just talked to my friend that asked me to join her team and she said that I wouldn't be the only one walking because the rest of the group hasn't really been training. :goodvibes So glad I won't be the odd one out. ;)

Well I signed up!

:woohoo: That's the hardest part!

I smoked cigarettes for 18 years and quit about a year and a half ago, about 6 months ago I had a crazy moment and signed up for the Neverland 5K at DL :scared1: and ran it in January :cool1:, it was AMAZING! I was in decent shape on the outside when I signed up but in terrible shape on the inside, I started with a c25k and the first few weeks were really hard but now I'm running 4+ miles a day at 10 minutes a mile a few time a week and working my way up since I'm signed up for the DL 10k in August with a goal of running the half next January.

I'd do the color run, the TOT is a long way away so a closer race will be good motivation, plus the color run is a really fun run with no pressure (more of a run/walk/jog party), just bring sunglasses and a mask if you don't want your eyes and mouth full of chalk dust.

Congrats on taking the first step!

:woohoo: That's the hardest part!

I smoked cigarettes for 18 years and quit about a year and a half ago, about 6 months ago I had a crazy moment and signed up for the Neverland 5K at DL :scared1: and ran it in January :cool1:, it was AMAZING! I was in decent shape on the outside when I signed up but in terrible shape on the inside, I started with a c25k and the first few weeks were really hard but now I'm running 4+ miles a day at 10 minutes a mile a few time a week and working my way up since I'm signed up for the DL 10k in August with a goal of running the half next January.

I'd do the color run, the TOT is a long way away so a closer race will be good motivation, plus the color run is a really fun run with no pressure (more of a run/walk/jog party), just bring sunglasses and a mask if you don't want your eyes and mouth full of chalk dust.

Congrats on taking the first step!

Yay on quitting smoking! :cool1: I quit 8 years ago after smoking for about 10 years. It is amazing how much better you feel afterwards! I'm kind of the opposite of you, I'm good on the inside but waaay overweight on the outside. lol I'm hoping to catch up to where you are. The TOT race is my carrot. lol

So I weighed in today and I was down 1.2 lbs and I finished W1D1 today! :banana: I mapped out all my "runs" from now until race day in October in my calendar. That way they are staring me in the face! I am going to do the Color Run in April and then possibly a 5k in May and June as well. I would like to do a 10k but I'm having a hard time finding one that is relatively local.

So I *thought* I did W1D1 the other day. Apparently I did W1D2. :crazy2: So today I did W1D3 and did not realize it until it was over. It was rough. And I don't want to do the longer runs during the week so I think I'm going to redo it on Sunday so I can get back on track the way I wanted to.

Question: My calves seem to get really tight when I am running. Is there anything I can do to loosen them up? It is not painful exactly, more uncomfortable. After I am done there is no pain either. Just once I get going they feel like rocks...

That TOT medal is my carrot. I AM going to do this!

So I *thought* I did W1D1 the other day. Apparently I did W1D2. :crazy2: So today I did W1D3 and did not realize it until it was over. It was rough. And I don't want to do the longer runs during the week so I think I'm going to redo it on Sunday so I can get back on track the way I wanted to.

Question: My calves seem to get really tight when I am running. Is there anything I can do to loosen them up? It is not painful exactly, more uncomfortable. After I am done there is no pain either. Just once I get going they feel like rocks...

That TOT medal is my carrot. I AM going to do this!
Try relaxing your lower legs while running - letting the foot "dangle" after you pick up your foot. This works for me, but it doesn't work for my wife, so YMMV.

Try relaxing your lower legs while running - letting the foot "dangle" after you pick up your foot. This works for me, but it doesn't work for my wife, so YMMV.

I've found I have a tendency to "clench" my lower legs while I'm walking/running, so I have to consciously remind myself to relax. It's certainly annoying, but it works.

I've found I have a tendency to "clench" my lower legs while I'm walking/running, so I have to consciously remind myself to relax. It's certainly annoying, but it works.

I will give it a try on Sunday. I am running on the treadmill for now and I'm kind of afraid of catching my foot and tripping. I will have to work on it.

I tend to get those after about 40 minutes on the treadmill.

One thing I did do with my C25K is while I can't maintain a running pace completely for the duration - I end up switching by a 6.5mph pace and a 4.3mph pace for the 'run' and about 3.5mph for the walk. It still allowed me to finish today (I completed the 5k program today) doing about 3.2 miles in 40 minutes.

I move to the 10k program on Tuesday.

This morning when I first started on the treadmill I was able to consciously relax my calves. The further I got into the program, the harder it became to relax them. I straight up struggled with today anyway. I was repeating W1D3 and I had a harder time today than when I did it accidentally on Thursday. Part of that was likely due to my poor eating habits and hardly drinking water at all over the weekend. I do so much better during the week. Also when I get up in the morning before work to exercise, I'm hardly awake at all. So I just do it without a lot of thinking. Today I was fully awake and was dwelling on the insanity of taking on something like this. My confidence level is wavering. But I'm not giving up and that's that.

This morning when I first started on the treadmill I was able to consciously relax my calves. The further I got into the program, the harder it became to relax them. I straight up struggled with today anyway. I was repeating W1D3 and I had a harder time today than when I did it accidentally on Thursday. Part of that was likely due to my poor eating habits and hardly drinking water at all over the weekend. I do so much better during the week. Also when I get up in the morning before work to exercise, I'm hardly awake at all. So I just do it without a lot of thinking. Today I was fully awake and was dwelling on the insanity of taking on something like this. My confidence level is wavering. But I'm not giving up and that's that.

Sounds like you are just thinking too much. Relax and let it flow. Walk when you need to walk, run when you feel up to it. Speed up or slow down based on how your body feels, but without thinking about it.

Running is as much a mental exercise as, if not more than, a physical exercise. Train your mind to relax. If you are afraid of pain, you will tense up and the pain will find you. If you relax (mentally and physically) you will be surprised at what you can accomplish.

Try relaxation techniques like slow deep breaths. Allow your mind to wander. Do math problems in your head. Think about shopping. But stop thinking about your body when you run.

And remember, there is a difference between pain and injury. You can exercise with pain. Don't fear it. Welcome it as a sign that you are pushing yourself and getting stronger.

Sounds like you are just thinking too much. Relax and let it flow. Walk when you need to walk, run when you feel up to it. Speed up or slow down based on how your body feels, but without thinking about it.

Running is as much a mental exercise as, if not more than, a physical exercise. Train your mind to relax. If you are afraid of pain, you will tense up and the pain will find you. If you relax (mentally and physically) you will be surprised at what you can accomplish.

Try relaxation techniques like slow deep breaths. Allow your mind to wander. Do math problems in your head. Think about shopping. But stop thinking about your body when you run.

And remember, there is a difference between pain and injury. You can exercise with pain. Don't fear it. Welcome it as a sign that you are pushing yourself and getting stronger.

I'm definitely over-thinking it. In the mornings before work I literally roll out of bed, throw my stuff on, put my earbuds in and go. The music makes me smile and I just go. I've noticed that running is very emotional for me as well which is something that I was not expecting. I'm wishing I could get outside to run, but oh well. I think part of yesterday was that my husband was there and I've been trying to get him to do it with me and he just refuses. Kind of deflates my balloon. I have a 5k in 1 month so I need to keep moving. :woohoo:

I'm still moving. Getting my calves to relax is... interesting. At first I can, but the more tired I get, the less I can get them to cooperate.

I've lined up more motivation lol. 5k April 6th, Dirty Girl Mud Run May 3rd or 4th, 10k June 7th, and TOT in October. Small goals to keep me putting 1 foot in front of the other! ::yes::

You have a great plan for motivation and the right attitude. You are doing great! :thumbsup2

I'm a *good* kind of sore today which makes me look forward to W2D2 tomorrow morning. :) I think for now I'm going to focus on running (or trying to) and core work. I *know* there are abs in there somewhere. :blush:

Just reading all your posts. I started running a couple years ago and was (and still am) overweight. One big issue for me was finding what to wear. Not just shoes, but I invested in a high quality running bra (moving comfort and it was bout $50 but SOOOooooo worth it) and also a running skirt from Sparkle Skirts (about $65, but again sooo worth it). I have the "chub rub" and running shorts have a tendency to creep up on me. The sparkle skirt has short underneath and I have run in super sweaty freezing cold temps in it and it hasn't budged one inch!

I do interval running and it has really worked for me. I know someone else mentioned it, but check out Jeff Galloway's training programs on the Run Disney site. They are helpful.

I started running last year. After losing 30 lbs on 3 months of Atkins induction.

Did a Zombie 5 k in April and nothing until the TOT weekend 5k. It was that weekend that got me off of my butt. I met Jeff Galloway, bought the timer and his run-walk-run book. His whole philosophy is to finish upright and uninjured. My mind just needed to get over the "walking ain't running" thing. So, I started the program and within a month I found that I was feeling great and, if I was so inclined, I could run a full mile without stopping. (This from someone who couldn't run more than 3 mins).

November I did a Turkey trot 5k, finished about 6 mins under what my time was for the disney 5k. February I did the Miami half marathon. (That I started training for in Mid-October) This weekend I did a 5k and broke a PR by almost 2 mins.

The Galloway program is the way to go. I love it! Now I am reading Jeff's Mental Training for Runners. The tips there help me get off my butt and out the door in the morning.

Keep your nutrition in check. And just keep going. Hop on the RunDisney site and use Jeff's training plan that I believe starts June. His plan actually makes you run farther than race distance about two weeks before the race to show you that you could do it. It works!

Also look into two products: Endurox R4 for post-runs and Accelerade for before runs. These have helped me with muscle pains and recovery. Get the samples and see how they work for you.

You can do it! :-)

Just reading all your posts. I started running a couple years ago and was (and still am) overweight. One big issue for me was finding what to wear. Not just shoes, but I invested in a high quality running bra (moving comfort and it was bout $50 but SOOOooooo worth it) and also a running skirt from Sparkle Skirts (about $65, but again sooo worth it). I have the "chub rub" and running shorts have a tendency to creep up on me. The sparkle skirt has short underneath and I have run in super sweaty freezing cold temps in it and it hasn't budged one inch!

I do interval running and it has really worked for me. I know someone else mentioned it, but check out Jeff Galloway's training programs on the Run Disney site. They are helpful.

For now my running gear consists of Target's tech stuff. I have been using capri type pants plus a t-shirt. I'm just running in my basement for now so I'm not concerned with how I look. Once I get outside, I may have a more difficult time wearing form-fitting clothing. :blush: I love the new running shoes I bought. Right now, since it is so cold I don't have any issue with rubbing. In the summer I use monistat anti-chafing gel and that seems to work well for me.

I started running last year. After losing 30 lbs on 3 months of Atkins induction.

Did a Zombie 5 k in April and nothing until the TOT weekend 5k. It was that weekend that got me off of my butt. I met Jeff Galloway, bought the timer and his run-walk-run book. His whole philosophy is to finish upright and uninjured. My mind just needed to get over the "walking ain't running" thing. So, I started the program and within a month I found that I was feeling great and, if I was so inclined, I could run a full mile without stopping. (This from someone who couldn't run more than 3 mins).

November I did a Turkey trot 5k, finished about 6 mins under what my time was for the disney 5k. February I did the Miami half marathon. (That I started training for in Mid-October) This weekend I did a 5k and broke a PR by almost 2 mins.

The Galloway program is the way to go. I love it! Now I am reading Jeff's Mental Training for Runners. The tips there help me get off my butt and out the door in the morning.

Keep your nutrition in check. And just keep going. Hop on the RunDisney site and use Jeff's training plan that I believe starts June. His plan actually makes you run farther than race distance about two weeks before the race to show you that you could do it. It works!

Also look into two products: Endurox R4 for post-runs and Accelerade for before runs. These have helped me with muscle pains and recovery. Get the samples and see how they work for you.

You can do it! :-)

That's awesome that you met Jeff Galloway!! I am using his 5k program right now. So the 1.4 miles is actually a run/walk, but it is more than I could do just 3 weeks ago when I started walking on the treadmill. :thumbsup2

I'm also doing weight watchers along with this. I'm experimenting with my points and seeing what works for me. I really want to make this a lifestyle change and not just a phase. I work in healthcare and it is hard to tell my patients (that are sometimes smaller than me!) to get active and lose weight when I don't follow my own advice.

I will look into those supplements and see. I've never used supplements or protein powder so all of that is like a foreign language to me.

I will say that in a mere 3 weeks I feel a lot better and stronger than I did. :cool2:

Today was not fun. It is my weigh in day for WW and I was up. I am experimenting with using my points so I'm not sure what the deal is yet. Earlier this week (Sunday I think) I was down 0.5 lbs so I'm not taking the gain as a true gain just yet. Then my run. Erf. It was W3D1 and I didn't finish it. :headache: My calves kept cramping up. I stopped twice, paused the app and the treadmill and tried to stretch. Got back on and cramped right up again. So tomorrow the plan is to do a yoga video and I'm thinking of walking 3 miles on the treadmill.

I do have to say that I feel better and "stronger" since I started this. I have more energy and feel more focused. I really do look forward to my workouts. For me, that is saying a lot. Before this the only physical activity I ever enjoyed was soccer. Kinda hard to play soccer as a 35 year old mom with too many commitments. I'm hoping that running fills that void for me. ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter