Is this allowed on the basic dining plan?

bangzoom6877

DIS Veteran
I am well aware that you cannot by any means swap the dessert that is included in the basic dining plan for an appetizer at a TS restaurant. However, I have a related yet different question. If I were to eat at San Angel Inn, would they allow me to get guacamole on the side of my entree and skip the dessert? Even though I know you can't get an app instead of dessert, the reason I am asking is because I am wondering if they would do this since it does not add any more time to our dining. I know that if one person switches the dessert for an app, it creates problems because the party is sitting and taking up that table for a longer time, but the restaurant is not making any more money for them to do so. But if they give you an extra side instead of dessert it does not add any time and the menu price is either the same or cheaper.

While the desserts look OK to me on the San Angel Inn menu, I would prefer to have some guacamole with my meal and then use a snack credit to get a pastry in France for dessert. If I can't, no big deal at all, I will just pay OOP for the guacamole. I just can't bring myself to go to a Mexican restaurant without having guacamole with my entree! ;)

All you can do is ask, but I don't know if they would swap out the dessert for another side.

Would love for that to be allowed, but really really doubt it...you can ask but the answer will most probably be NO. You could argue until you're blue in the face that a side dish would be a legit trade for a dessert, but generally when they say you cannot substitute dessert for non-dessert that's exactly what they mean. Disney Cast Members who work in restaurants have posted on this forum that they have been told they can lose their jobs for subbing desserts for non-dessert items in the table service restaurants. It's not just the table-turnover time, it's also the cost. Desserts are far less expensive to make, both cheaper ingredients & less labor intensive. Desserts can be made in advance (most are) and they can in most cases be kept overnight. Side-dishes are more closer to appetizers in cost & prep time and generally cannot be kept overnight.

Anyway, do ask & here's wishing you pixie dust & good luck...be sure to report back if you are successful...we'd love to hear that someone had good luck.

Would love for that to be allowed, but really really doubt it...you can ask but the answer will most probably be NO. You could argue until you're blue in the face that a side dish would be a legit trade for a dessert, but generally when they say you cannot substitute dessert for non-dessert that's exactly what they mean. Disney Cast Members who work in restaurants have posted on this forum that they have been told they can lose their jobs for subbing desserts for non-dessert items in the table service restaurants. It's not just the table-turnover time, it's also the cost. Desserts are far less expensive to make, both cheaper ingredients & less labor intensive. Desserts can be made in advance (most are) and they can in most cases be kept overnight. Side-dishes are more closer to appetizers in cost & prep time and generally cannot be kept overnight.

Anyway, do ask & here's wishing you pixie dust & good luck...be sure to report back if you are successful...we'd love to hear that someone had good luck.

Thanks for the info! I would not want someone to lose their job because they did something they were told not to do. I will ask but I will not be persistent. If they say no, I will accept it and pay the extra few dollars for guacamole if we end up at San Angel Inn for dinner.

I'm going to risk giving you a flat-out "no". Sides are not included with/covered by/available on any version of the Dining Plans. Therefore, a side will not be able to be used as a substitution, even for a dessert.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter