Is there anything you hate about DVC?

I love the fact that my kids have gotten. More Disney trips in then they ever would have without DVC. I love how it has changed my entire view of a Disney trip. No rush, no craziness. We always know we'll be back so if we can't do something... No need to cram it in.
This is how I feel too! DVC definitely changes how we visit, which is nice IMO. We like having more space, more time to relax, and enjoying new things and our favorites.

We've been owners since 2018, but I wish we had bought sooner. We weren't in a position to do so at the time, so no use dwelling on what could have been.

I meant like at Moderates or Values. I mean for the regular hotel layout of a bed and pull out couch, these are available a lot cheaper.

Just my personal opinion, but if you cannot buy enough for at least a 1 Bedroom, not sure DVC should be an option. DVC is a Timeshare, a luxury. If money is so tight that cannot afford more than a studio, is this the best use of one's money--just my opinion.

Just my personal opinion, but if you cannot buy enough for at least a 1 Bedroom, not sure DVC should be an option. DVC is a Timeshare, a luxury. If money is so tight that cannot afford more than a studio, is this the best use of one's money--just my opinion.
I realize you said that’s just your opinion, but I find this wrong on several levels.
Just my opinion...

Also with the maintenance...we constantly have things NOT in working order. From no light bulbs, to remotes not working, to DW not working (wasn't on last BWV trip), to thermostat not working right (also BWV last trip...room was an icebox), to fridge not being cold, to drier not drying unless you run through 5 times, to drawers not pulling open or about to fall apart (BLT in March).....to noises like drippy tub (BCV a few years ago) and noisy air return (also at BWV last trip)......
Who read this as Disney Wife not working? 🤣

This is how I feel too! DVC definitely changes how we visit, which is nice IMO. We like having more space, more time to relax, and enjoying new things and our favorites.

We've been owners since 2018, but I wish we had bought sooner. We weren't in a position to do so at the time, so no use dwelling on what could have been.
Took 1 trip with my family while my daughter was almost 3 and wife pregnant with our 2nd. First trip for either of us since high school. Took the in laws due to military discount or it would have been out of our price range.

Fast forward 2 years. Learned about DVC from a friend and rented points. Changed our whole perspective of what Disney COULD be. Bought in shortly after that resale when the only restrictions were no cruises and no adventures trading. Almost got in before that too.

Our first few DVC trips were NOT laid back. Definitely tried to rush and cram before it slowly sank in... Take it easy... We'll be back. To be honest... I'm at the point now where I'm kinda over the parks. When new stuff is out we certainly want to visit... But tickets are so expensive... We now try to get 2 years worth of points used in a 365 day period... Get the Annual pass.. Then take 2 years off. With the AP discount I don't feel I'm throwing away ticket money if we only do a few hours in a park per day.
I honestly look forward to the future when we are empty nesters and can just relax at the resorts in the winter months and not even think about parks. Pool, drinks, good food and warm weather relaxation.

This may be a dumb question but if all anyone wants is studios, why buy DVC? Why not just book regular hotel rooms that are much cheaper?
Cheaper? I’m guessing that you haven’t priced out a regular room at a deluxe resort recently. Our kids are grown and we travel just the 2 of us. Just because we don’t travel with kids doesn’t mean we don’t want a little extra space in a deluxe resort without paying $$00- 700 a night for it.

I know I am biased but I think it was a huge mistake to make a lot of the studios sleep 5. Studios are perfect for 2 people. They would probably be perfect for a couple & 1 young child but more than that it it would be way too crowded.

No regrets, we have had great experiences when my kids were real little. Now with them getting older it's more difficult to travel during the school year. I guess there is one regret, booking, I wish there were more opportunity to book for quick stays right away rather then planning 11 or 7 months out. Specials on flights and personal commitment can change on a whim yet it's impossible to book a stay just a few months out or sooner.

In my opinion, your opinion is idiotic. We travel just the 2 of us. we do not want or need a 1 or 2 bedroom villa.
Yes. It does come down to money/points. We can stay 2 different weeks in a year in a studio for the same cost as a 1 bedroom for 1 week.

I meant like at Moderates or Values. I mean for the regular hotel layout of a bed and pull out couch, these are available a lot cheaper.

A moderate or value resort is not the same as a deluxe resort. Even if one stays in a studio, there are so many other aspects to a DVC membership than that,

Also, even if the plan is to stay in the studio most of the time, DVC allows you the ability to book larger rooms if you need to for trips that aren’t with your typical party,

I did not say that Studios were a bad thing. Heck, my wife and I travel solo and often get just a studio. The point I was making is you should have enough points that if need be you can obtain a 1 Bedroom. I believe Disney recognized this so they increased the minimum investment to 100 points for initial buy in. My original post was regret there are not enough studios. Again just my opinion. By the way calling someone's opinion idiotic does not make the poster look very good. I do not mind at all disagreeing with me, but be civil.

Last edited:
Is there anything you hate about DVC? No. I was surprised by the lack of daily housekeeping (We were told about it but it didn't sink in until we experienced it.) but quickly liked the idea of no one in the room only to have to get use to a daily trash visit. :D I totally cop to stealing coffee off the maid cart until we found packages could be purchased at the store. We stay in studios - I don't get the 1br thing when we not in the room much more than to sleep and change. I do miss the bed toppers and pillows they had back in the early 2000's.

Regrets, wish lists, if you could sell it and get all of your money back, and I do mean all of your money, would you do it? I am so use to it that if I sold it now I would miss it. It is interesting how you get to know people and look forward to seeing them again. It still catches me off-guard when a bartender actually remembers what I drink - after all, they see how many people!? I will say DVC makes me a 'lazy' vacationer. I have a hard time organizing other vacations and I compare the hotels to the DVC venues, which really isn't fair considering I will only pay for the 'moderate' level cash room.

Anyone out there wished they hadn’t bought into DVC? No. The walk-able venues are worth the membership alone. Back in the 90's and early 2000's the Dolphin and Swan were dumps. If they'd been as nice as they are now, we would probably have never joined, which would've been a shame as the DVC does save us $$$. We don't go more often but we do stay a day or two longer. The DVC allowed us to play with vacation length and after night 5 I am really missing my own bed. The DVC allows us to bring addition adults and accommodate Floridian visitors without parking fees or 'extra' adult room fees.

I did not say that Studios were a bad thing. Heck, my wife and I travel solo and often get just a studio. The point I was making is you should have enough points that if need be you can obtain a 1 Bedroom. I believe Disney recognized this so they increased the minimum investment to 100 points for initial buy in. My original post was regret there are not enough studios. Again just my opinion. By the way calling someone's opinion idiotic does not make the poster look very good. I do not mind at all disagreeing with me, but be civil.
If you took offense to me calling your opinion idiotic, I apologize.
What you are saying now is not what you said in your original statement have 2 totally different meanings.

I read your previous statement of “if you cannot buy enough for at least a 1 Bedroom, not sure DVC should be an option. DVC is a Timeshare, a luxury. If money is so tight that cannot afford more than a studio, is this the best use of one's money--just my opinion.” as extremely rude and condescending to people who only need studios.

I agree that Disney shouldn’t have loosened up on their minimum purchase requirements or allowed 5 in a studio. Both of these things screwed up the system.

I will say DVC makes me a 'lazy' vacationer. I have a hard time organizing other vacations and I compare the hotels to the DVC venues, which really isn't fair considering I will only pay for the 'moderate' level cash room.

Oh, I agree with this 1000%. When we travel anywhere else I balk at paying cash for anything more than a hotel room with 2 beds for our family of 4. And our kids are perfectly sweet and easy to share a room with. And then I compare the hotel room with DVC (especially the 1br) and of course they don't measure up.

Don't get me wrong, they are very nice hotels, but I really ought to be comparing apples to apples, and I'm not, because I refuse to use actual money to pay for a suite or connecting rooms.

I don't hate anything about DVC.
We've owned 16 years at BWV. I've stayed elsewhere but still love there the most.
I do question the financial savings. I know I could run the numbers, but that just gives me a headache. We could sell for nearly double what we paid. I dislike the variety of discounts from year to year. Some years, annual passes were really discounted.
I dislike that there is no opportunity for free dining. On the other hand, there are some discounts on food/activities....
I'm just rambling.
No real regrets. I know I would never buy in at today's prices.

I own at BWV and wish they wouldn’t have increased studios to 5 and left 1 bedrooms at 4. It is part of the reason studios are harder to get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter