Is the last week of August a bad time to visit WDW?

So, I've been to WDW plenty of times at different times during the year and was wondering what everyone's take is on the last week of Aug. I know this week is generally the week most students go back to school in FL, but I'm not sure if this has an actual impact on wait times/busyness. Also, I would assume it's still pretty hot during this time, but does it generally cool down a little bit with it being later in the summer? Any help is greatly appreciated!
We were there the last week in August this past summer and crowds were very low. A hurricane was predicted and crowds dropped to almost non-existent levels. And then the hurricane missed Florida completely. :)

It was hot and humid. The mornings were mostly rain-free, the afternoons would have a thunderstorm roll through, and then sometimes the evenings were a wash out and sometimes they were rain free.

It's hot like the rest of the summer. Crowds are lower, though have seemingly increased some than in previous years. As long as you stay hydrated, it's not bad unless you never have to deal with humidity...then it could seem quite awful.

We love going the last week in August! While it is still very hot, the crowd levels are low - it's worth dealing with the heat for low wait times on rides.

We went that week last year. It was absolutely hot and humid, but we're from VA and the heat/humidity really didn't seem THAT much worse. It was just as hot when we went the first week in October in 2018. Crowd-wise it's not like the parks were empty, but it was less crowded than spring break. We managed to catch Epcot during a "no festival" time which is always amazing IMO because the crowds (esp in World Showcase) are so much more manageable when there's not a festival.

That is when we are heading down...last weekend of August, first week of September. I'm not looking forward to the heat and humidity but I'll be prepared for it. If memory serves correctly, aren't there usually short storms during the day? Can someone confirm that?

Yes usually in the afternoon but we've been lucky both trips. It can be pouring in MK and not pouring in Epcot. We do midday breaks by the pool and never had it by rain. The one time we decided to just nap instead it did rain while we slept but we missed it all. It can be hit or miss.

We love the last half of August for the low crowds. Will be going again this year and praying for no hurricanes. We're from Atlanta, so heat and humidity not a problem.

Same weather as it is all summer Rain at 4 almost every day lasts 10 minutes or so -- can get the rare occasional longer one the temps are cooler then July but still hot and Humid never been hit by Hurricane been going that time for at least 8 years with a few years in July because of school.... crowds that will vary it use to be a much slower time but in recent times it has picked up a bit... But anytime starting august 15 is a slower time and you can expect the same... I have been there when Hurricanes are near Florida.. if it is on the gulf side you will have nice cool breezy days is it is on the Atlantic side you will have hotter more humid days... Those trips were in July one the week of the 4th (weather was in the low 80'S) one mid July HOT as... and no rain really bad...

So, I've been to WDW plenty of times at different times during the year and was wondering what everyone's take is on the last week of Aug. I know this week is generally the week most students go back to school in FL, but I'm not sure if this has an actual impact on wait times/busyness. Also, I would assume it's still pretty hot during this time, but does it generally cool down a little bit with it being later in the summer? Any help is greatly appreciated!

This is a peak time for heat, humidity, thunderstorms and the occasional hurricane threat.

It cools down some at night and after a big thunderstorm, but it will be humid.

Crowds will be lower. Kids in Florida and Southeast go back to school at the start of August. This means less people walking around but little impact on ride wait times because of FP.

We've almost always gone that time, and going again this summer the week before Labor Day. Like everyone said it's crazy hot and humid, and there's usually a good chance of an afternoon thunderstorm but those tend to be short and cool things down! Stay hydrated, pace yourself, and bring ponchos and you should be fine.

I always say I'd rather deal with the heat than the crowds--I can escape the heat, but I can't escape the people.

It’s only can get so hot. It’s hot in July and August and you must be careful and make sure you drink water, take time in a AC place ect. Just last week is prime hurricane time.
You may lose a day or days because park closes down for a. hurricane so guest don’t get hurt. If stayingin a Disney hotel you may not be able to leave unless you Uber it.
crows have to be lower at that time. Kids are back in school. People are out of money,

We've almost always gone that time, and going again this summer the week before Labor Day. Like everyone said it's crazy hot and humid, and there's usually a good chance of an afternoon thunderstorm but those tend to be short and cool things down! Stay hydrated, pace yourself, and bring ponchos and you should be fine.

I always say I'd rather deal with the heat than the crowds--I can escape the heat, but I can't escape the people.
It’s always rains in the afternoon all summer long

We love going the last week in August! While it is still very hot, the crowd levels are low - it's worth dealing with the heat for low wait times on rides.

When you say you go the last week of August....is that often the week before Labor Day weekend? We're traveling there September 2-6 which is the week before (and including) Labor Day weekend so just wondering!

What's your experience going the week before Labor Day each year? Do you stay for Labor Day weekend at all? Heading there the few days leading up to LDW and leaving Sunday this year so super curious!

When you say you go the last week of August....is that often the week before Labor Day weekend? We're traveling there September 2-6 which is the week before (and including) Labor Day weekend so just wondering!
Yes, the week before labor day. However, by the end of the week (Friday), the crowds are slightly higher, but manageable. We don't stay Labor Day weekend - we typically leave on Saturday. I really don't think the crowds would be too crazy over the weekend like other holidays, but I could be wrong.

Once we did it once, we switched up and now we always go end of August, beginning of September! It is definitely hot, but we live in the midwest and it's hot here too then. Might as well be hot at Disney! We do longer trips so we have plenty of down time, which also helps.

We went last year Aug 30 - Sep 6 and it was significantly hotter and more humid than I expected. I've never sweated that much before in between the 15-30 minute sudden and intense thunder storms. We were also there during Hurricane Dorian. It was fortunately not nearly as bad as forecast and we were as prepared as we could be (packed flashlights, water bottles, snacks, extra iPhone batteries, etc. and stocked up with juice from the resort store the day before) in the event that we could be trapped in the hotel for a couple of days with minimal services. Disney did a great job with handling it IMO but it is a risk especially if you are scheduled to fly in/out when one decides to run through. MCO was closed for about a half day on the Sunday, then reopened and then closed again on Tuesday when it was expected to make landfall so a lot of people left on the Saturday to make sure they could get out.

Low crowds both due to the heat/humidity and Dorian and we still had a really good time but I won't ever go there at that time of year again. It's just way too hot and humid for my comfort. Even after dark it was still hot.

What's your experience going the week before Labor Day each year? Do you stay for Labor Day weekend at all? Heading there the few days leading up to LDW and leaving Sunday this year so super curious!
We don't usually stay through Labor Day, as my kids start school the day after so we need to prep. I'm sure the holiday weekend itself is busy, but the week or 2 prior has never really been. I was just at HS over MLK weekend and I found that busier than what I've experienced in August.

We went that week last year. It was absolutely hot and humid, but we're from VA and the heat/humidity really didn't seem THAT much worse. It was just as hot when we went the first week in October in 2018. Crowd-wise it's not like the parks were empty, but it was less crowded than spring break. We managed to catch Epcot during a "no festival" time which is always amazing IMO because the crowds (esp in World Showcase) are so much more manageable when there's not a festival.

I prefer “no festival” Epcot too. Also “no party” MK. I wish they would stop creeping MNSSHP and F&W further and further into August!

We were there the last week in August this past summer and crowds were very low. A hurricane was predicted and crowds dropped to almost non-existent levels. And then the hurricane missed Florida completely. :)

It was hot and humid. The mornings were mostly rain-free, the afternoons would have a thunderstorm roll through, and then sometimes the evenings were a wash out and sometimes they were rain free.
We were there the same week. We have gone to Disney at least 20 times and this was by far our favorite time to go. We jokingly said that we were going to plan all of our Disney trips around hurricanes.

it was definitely nerve wracking the week before we arrived because it kept moving but it worked out perfectly for us.

we did make sure to add extra insurance to the rental car just incase something fell on it.😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter