• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is the dollar effecting your trip/planning?

That's where we're at too. We booked Christmas 09 with the $200 deposit back in September. Right about now I regret not paying for it outright. I'll wait and see what flights are looking like before finally deciding. I'll be watching and if the loonie improves, I'll slap a bit more on it later.:confused3

Every day I see our dollar dropping by 2 cents. Where will it stop? I keek thinking that "today it'll stabilize.." but not so far.

Hmmm.

I think it'll keep dropping for a bit longer then come back up. So long as commodities keep dropping, so will the dollar. I read a report from the Bank of Canada, that they expect it to drop a little further and then come back up, but they don't expect the kind of levels we've had in the past year or two. It's bad for Disney trips that it's low but good for our economy. American companies will want to keep businesses here if they're paying their staff 75 cents on the dollar.

I am still hoping to go to WDW next summer, but the weak dollar has definitely cut down my regular shopping trips to Buffalo. :goodvibes

Well, the dollar is starting to go back up a bit everyday! We leave in two weeks, and are thankful that gas is getting cheaper and cheaper! It will now cost us half the amount I had originally planned for driving down. I still need to change some money, and buy 4 adult tickets, but will wait till after the US election to do that.

Nope it isn't affecting our planning at all we just got home and we are allready planning our July trip and then our next Dec trip.

Yes, it is affecting my vacation planning for next year. I had hope to take 3 separate vacations, just like this year (not all Disney!).

A beach vacation (thinking about Jamaica, but might have to go back to Cuba)
Road trip in the West USA in the summer, which could prove quite pricey now
And I was hoping to sneak a Disney Birthday vacation in September for free dining on my boyfriend! I already booked it on bounceback, at least I'll make money on my refund if we don't go...

The dollar has really made us rethink everything. We go every year to WDW. Last year a 7 night Disney cruise and then 10 days in DisneyWorld. Between the increase in the rates for the cruise, there being No great deals for air fare from Manitoba and the dollar we may really NOT go this year. I figured out that the exact same trip at the exact same time of year the same trip is $3000. more this year. That's over my budget. We also were planning to take the Med. cruise but with the dollar I was terrified to commit to a $15,000. holiday.

Well, our flights and the 30% deposit on our condo were paid before the dollar dived the way it did, and I got park passes today from the Disney Store at par so while we still have some expenses to deal with before March, the grand majority of the trip is paid off. What we won't be doing while down there is outlet shopping and other misc shopping!

:goodvibes The dollar is almost up to 86 cents!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would be happy if it just went to about 90 and stay there!!!

Me too! I've been checking the rate almost twice daily :surfweb: ...such an addict! We (I) want to buy a house down there! This rate is costing an extra $20,000 on our downpayment! :sad2: Hubby says....wait!

I can't wait....he says it has to hit at least 90 b4 we proceed!

Oh please keep climbing, poor Cdn dollar! :wizard:

I still need to change some money, and buy 4 adult tickets, but will wait till after the US election to do that.

Me too!

Are we thinking (and not just wishing ;) ) that the dollar will go further up because of the election today?

I was hoping to do alot of my Christmas shopping at the outlets this year when I go down next week, BUT I probably won't because of the dollar. Last year I did ALL of my Christmas shopping in Buffalo, that won't be happening this year. The only thing I need to buy are our MYW passes, and I don't think it's worth an hour drive for me to try to find passes at par. OH!! I do need to buy gas for our drive down, and right now the fuel cost calculator says $370 US, half the price it was in the summer!!

Ok , so would someone like to give me their thoughts/opinions on what they think the Cdn $ might do in the next couple of weeks?

I have to pay for a 14 day vacation home rental soon (entire cost since security deposit was not required at time of booking) and not sure if I should pay it now or wait a couple of weeks. Payment is due beginning of December.

Any opinions would be really appreciated.
Thank you

I don't know what the dollar will do but I did put $350 on our Dec 2009 vacation today with the dollar around 87 cents. It seemed like a good idea considering its recent levels. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter