Is SSR boring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This map should help you understand location. Note the location of the epcot resorts on crescent lake and their central location in relation to all the theme parks.

Disney+World+Resorts+Map.jpg

Thanks for the map but we have been over 40 times, I know where everything is located. We will just have to agree to disagree over the rest.

Here are the facts on the distances from the parks to the resorts from the site here.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/resorts/resort-distances.htm

I did not say that SSR was closest to a park, I said it was closer to all 4 parks than other resorts. It is closer to MK by a mile over BC, YC and CBR. It is only a mile to Epcot from SSR and closer to all parks than AK, compared to AKL which was the info the OP was looking for.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/resorts/resort-distances.htm

I did not say that SSR was closest to a park, I said it was closer to all 4 parks than other resorts. It is closer to MK by a mile over BC, YC and CBR. It is only a mile to Epcot from SSR and closer to all parks than AK, compared to AKL which was the info the OP was looking for.

Those distances don't look quite right to me, either that or they are using some funky calculation? It says the Beach Club is 3 miles from Epcot, but it's a very short walk. Are these distances if you take a car and drive around to the front entrances?

Those distances don't look quite right to me, either that or they are using some funky calculation? It says the Beach Club is 3 miles from Epcot, but it's a very short walk. Are these distances if you take a car and drive around to the front entrances?

yes it is driving distances.

blackacex2 said:
1. It just so happens that every hampton inn, drury inn, ramada inn, strip mall, and american neighborhood built in the last 20 years also nails that "saratoga springs" theme. As in, it's not so much of a theme as it suburban architecture. "Suburbanite Springs." Seriously every new apartment complex I see reminds me of saratoga springs.

2. There is so much to do at saratoga springs. First of all you can go to the pool. Did I mention there are pools? Pools. Oh and you can eat at a restaurant. That really sets it head and shoulders above just about every resort on the planet I must say.

3. There's a spa. Forget that it's usually ranked as the most overpriced spa with the poorest service in the disney area. There is hope for the refurb though.

4. Great location. Well, yeah it's the closest Disney resort to the airport and the resort that is farther from the theme parks than all of the other resorts. It's close to Downtown Disney, because you need another place to buy the same merchandise you see at every single park every single day of your vacation.

5. Golf, tennis courts, and bikes. We've got this stuff in our neighborhood at home too. People go to Disney to sit on the beach and watch fireworks and get transported out of suburban boredom.

I think it's time people stop making excuses for Saratoga Springs. If it was $99 a night it'd be just fine. It's more like $400 a night. And it's a darn shame!

Have you actually stayed at SSR? You seem to loathe it with a vengeance. FTR, I have never seen a Hampton Inn, Drury Inn, etc that looks anything like SSR. That is a terrible comparison.

The spa actually receives very good reviews, and seems to be reasonably priced, so that comparison isn't very good either. AKL doesn't even have a spa.

It is a few minutes walk to Downtown Disney, with so many activities. Cirque du Soleil, balloon flights, cinema, boating, more restaurants than AKL and AK added up, and much more.

Everyone has a right to an opinion but its generally better to have one when you are actually well informed on what you have an opinion of. SSR and AKL both cater to different people. I feel immersed in Disney magic at SSR. However it isn't overwhelming in theming and we like that. The theme is there though and very authentic.

AKL is more in your face theming and exciting, but some people do prefer to stay somewhere less in your face. Sure, it may have more dining options, however when you factor in Downtown Disney SSR has much more.

I would recommend, OP, that you stay at AKL for your trip. You love it there, and the theming at SSR may disappoint you. If you stayed at SSR you may spend the whole time wishing you were at AKL, and spending a little more would be worth getting the vacation you love. :)

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

For what it's worth, we belong to DVC and own at SSR. I am embarrassed to say that we haven't stayed at SSR since 2006, and haven't used our points there since 2005 :faint:

We routinely changed our reservations to Beach Club villas, because it was walking distance to Epcot, and then when AKL villas became available, we bought points there, and generally have stayed there once a year ever since.

From my standpoint, SSR was spread out. If you stayed in a studio, the laundry is near the main pool. It is a beautiful, spacious, airy laundry, but, it is a long hike in hot weather to bring clothes there. If we stay for a week, we usually only bring enough clothes so that we plan on doing laundry half way through. Likewise, the buses take a long time to get through the resort to go to the park, because there are several stops. And, because there are several stops, they sometimes are full by the time they get to yours.

On the other hand, the highlight of my day when I stay at AKL villas (either Kidani or Jambo) is to sit on the balcony having my breakfast and watching the animals outside the room. The bus service one resort compared to the other is a wash, in my opinion. The buses stop at Kidani first, then Jambo. The laundry, if I stay in a studio, is inside the building, and I can watch animals while I wait for the clothes to be done.

I have a reservation for next December for SSR, that I am actually planning to change to either Bay Lake towers, Beach club villas, or Akl at the 7 mo window. It's not that I don't like SSR. It's that I like the other resorts better.

In case you are wondering, why did I buy points at SSR if I didn't plan on staying there? Simple. At the time we bought, it was the only resort available. We had stayed at OKW, and totally loved the idea of DVC. Our son was about 4 at the time, and we knew we would want to be coming back.

I'm considering switching our reservations from AKL savanna view to a studio at SSR . . . Will we be disappointed?

1) I think so.
2) There is little "Disney" at Disney's SSR.
3) Plus, the buildings are like rows of Holiday Inns.
4) VERY LITTLE CHARACTER.

NOTE: Having worked there for quite some time, I think it is the
most boring of ANY Disney resort, DVC or not.

1) I think so.
2) There is little "Disney" at Disney's SSR.
3) Plus, the buildings are like rows of Holiday Inns.
4) VERY LITTLE CHARACTER.

NOTE: Having worked there for quite some time, I think it is the
most boring of ANY Disney resort, DVC or not.

How can there be little of Disney when the bedding has scenes from Fox and the Hound and Disney horses? :confused3

Thanks, all, so much for going through the pros and cons for me. I think we're going to go ahead and stick to AKL this time around and maybe check out SSR when it's just my husband and me. Distance doesn't mean anything to us, but theming does. We did tour SSR several years ago for DVC, but it was rather forgettable to me.

I'm not trying to discount those who love the resort. I know everyone has their favorites. Even my beloved AKL isn't everyone's cup of tea. I think I just needed to hear the different opinions so I could determine if it was worth the savings for us. I think if we want some bigger savings, I agree with the poster who suggested one of the values.

Attention all posters..

You don't have to agree with each other. You do have to respect the opinions of others, even if they may not be right for YOUR situation. You must interact in a respectful way.

The DIS Posting Rules are here:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm

Infractions will result for those who cannot play by these simple rules. This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter