• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is OKW the "hot" new resale resort?

Interesting. I have been going to OKW for years, since 1992 to be exact. Back when the resort wasn't called Old Key West and was known as The Disney Vacation Club. I always remember seeing a mix of people there, some older people, some younger people, some couples without kids, many teens. Lots of families. Started going before I had kids and now go with the kids, etc., hope to go some day with the grandkids.. To each his own, I guess, that is what is nice about the DVC, there are many options to chose from.

And with no offense meant here, remember (in the paraphrased words of a dearly departed OKW and DISBoards member) that you can sit on the balcony in a room at BWV and reach the refrigerator to grab a beer without getting out of your seat... :) Maybe that is more your speed?! ;)

I am guessing why OKW is so "hot" now, is that it has a low point cost buy in, AND has one of the longer contract lengths left. If we sold now (not that we want to) we could double our investment from our initial purchase, not to mention the value of the 8 years of free park tickets, it's like we'd vacationed at Disney with free accommodations for 20 years.. :goodvibes

someone posted previously that there are a number of retirees who "winter" using DVC points @ OKW for several weeks. We were there in Aug. and it was all families. We love OKW, esp. since they added the sleeper chair. Love the boardwalk area.

Is it just me or are there very few small boardwalk contracts?

It seems like all of the contracts are at least 250 points.

That is likely because when Boardwalk started selling, the minimum contract was (I think) 230 points. I know when we purchased in 1997, they had lowered the minimum to something like 210, but we still purchased the 230 anyway.

That is likely because when Boardwalk started selling, the minimum contract was (I think) 230 points. I know when we purchased in 1997, they had lowered the minimum to something like 210, but we still purchased the 230 anyway.

This is correct, minimum buy in when we bought in 1992 was 230. I know they adjusted it down a number of years later.

Just wanted to share - a co-worker's in-laws own DVC (SSR). They have gone the last five years - every other year and always stayed at SSR. They usually go in early November. My co-worker has three small children.

She told me that one - she would like to go alone with her family at least once (they always get a 2BDR) and TWO - she would like to stay somewhere else where there are more kids her age like Port Orleans (she stayed here once before her in-laws bought DVC). I make no comment.

This is correct, minimum buy in when we bought in 1992 was 230. I know they adjusted it down a number of years later.

Our original buy in was only 150 points at OKW (only DVC there was), I think it was late 1995, we just made the cut off for the free park tickets. I remember that the ability to buy only 150 was "new", and we needed that lower point option. We later added on 50 at BW. Then sold those 200 to buy 200 at BCV when that opened.

Oddly, we sold OKW because the family fell in love with BCV..... and I thought at that time, that OKW was lots of older folks too. However, we always liked it there, it is so peaceful, huge rooms (family of 6 here!), etc. I loved taking walks in the evening too. I recently stayed at OKW, first time in years, and it is still lovely. This was in October, and it was loaded with families with young kids. Perhaps retirees DO book OKW for long trips in the winter months though. (sounds good to me!)

As many have said, the variety of DVC resorts is wonderful. I love BLT, WLV, BWV, AKV and of course BCV almost equally. The only one I have not stayed at, at WDW, is SS. (Theme does not appeal to me, or the location, or the size).

When we travel to Florida we want to feel like we are in Florida not some horse farm in New England. Therefore OKW fits the bill for our family. We love Jimmy Buffet and the mature trees.

We also like the lack of Disney in your face theming. DS loves that he get on the boat and go to DTD. Does that make us old? Who knows but we keep returning to OKW.

Of course for the pool it is BCV and DS seems to also like AKV lately.

That is joy of DVC, you can stay anywhere you want.

yeah we're really old md 50's with "kids" in their 20's and OKW is still our favorite resort.Stayed @ SSR,BWV,& AKL (kidani),and always go back to OKW. Relaxing for everyone with many areas to walk & play.Who can resist the boat to DTD?

When we bought in 2006 and for a few years afterward, you could find small contracts 150 and below most of the time. It seems like the folks who wanted the small boardwalk (like us) contracts have snatched them up...and aren't letting them go (like us).

By June, 1993 the minimum purchase had been lowered to 190 points from the original 230. We still purchased 230 and then added on numerous times but 190 was the minimum with the caveat from DVC that some programs would require more than that minimum to participate (like the World Passport Collection at the time).

In the DVC Resource Center at the top of the Forum there is a Historical Chronology in post #5. The minimum was lowered to 150 points in March, 1995 shortly after sales began for Vero Beach (at $61.50 per point).

VB opened in October, 1995 , HH opened in March, 1996 and BWV opened in July, 1996. DVC had 4 resorts in active sales at the same time for several years. OKW opened as The Disney Vacation Club Resort but the name was changed to Old Key West in summer, 1995 just before VB opened that fall.

When they were selling SSR in 2007 the guide that did our tour told us 160 was the minimum .:confused3. Was it ever 160?

When they were selling SSR in 2007 the guide that did our tour told us 160 was the minimum .:confused3. Was it ever 160?

Yes - from the Resource Center:

February 1, 2007 -- AKV sales begin for existing members. $101 ($8 incentive discount also available)
March, 2007 -- $104 per point. (160 point minimum) ($8 incentive discount available)

I have been trying to buy 50 points from OKW for about 6 months now but I either get outbid or once I got ROFR'd by Disney. Or its just sold out before you can even bid on it.

Love the larger size rooms, ability to park and come and go easily, the full sized laundry room...I can't wait to buy some OKW points as soon as my DD finishes college.

I am in my 40's and we do split stays...4 nights at BLT, 4 nights at BCV and 7 nights or sometimes 6 at OKW. Short stays are always OKW or AKL. Love the different resorts for different reasons. I live in upsate NY so Saratoga Springs has no appeal to me, BTW PP Saratoga Springs is in NY...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter